Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Amara77

Sewing notions

Amara77

I was wondering where everyone got their various sewing notions for making their DD clothes. I'm currently in fabric obsessing mode so I would love to find new places to stare at various fabrics.

I'm also interested in new places to find buttons,zippers ribbons,etc.

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

Jezrah

Mostly I got my small scale ribbons, laces, and eyelets from Joann Fabrics. But I actually got a lot of my really small buttons from the craft section in Walmart.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

jadepixel

For fabric, I have a couple places I check often.

The local quilting shop has an amazing array of cotton prints, and lots of small-scale designs perfect for doll clothes. Then there's Pacific Fabrics, a local chain that has some nice prints as well as notions and materials for making human clothes. I like to look there for jersey, stretch knit, flannel, etc. There are small boutique shops in the young/hip districts in town too, but they are more pricey and have a smaller selection. If I need a really specific color or pattern, I check fabric.com- they have great sales sometimes, too.

For lace, Hobby Lobby has the best selection, or I order it online from a lace specialty shop or sometimes from Leeke.

As far as tools/notions, I swear by anything Japanese! I know it sounds a bit funny, but the quality usually justifies the price. Clover and Janome are good brands, for example.

KatMage

I actually go to thrift stores for fabric. You can get a ton of it for not a lot, you can fine small scale prints that are perfect for doll scale. A lot of times clothing is donated with tags still on! Best of all you are helping others with your purchases.

Thrift stores also have craft supplies every now and then, I've gotten plenty of tatted lace once or twice!

Point is, never know what you'll find~

katnaper

As far as tools/notions, I swear by anything Japanese! I know it sounds a bit funny, but the quality usually justifies the price.

What online shop sells them?

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

Amara77

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been on the hunt at thrift stores lately, especially baby things, as they have small scale and super cute patterns.

I like to look online as well, because it's easier to find something specific I might be looking for.

Fabric.com is great I love that they have a ruler so you can see the size of the pattern.

I'm also trying to find small separating zippers, and loop tape I went top Jo-anns recently and they only had one or two laces that work well for a corset look.

Edited by Guest

Spoke too soon....

aurora_light_dd

sewing is actually the hardest part. i haven't even get to a beginner level yet.

SydiaYuki

For materials and supplies i still have to find things like zippers, buttons etc doll-sized there in Italy , someone that maybe sells expecially those supplies, even if at least in matter of zippers some invisible ones for humans clothes are ok for dollfie's dresses for what i've seen, online i've found some shops (like on etsy etc) with those things but i haven't had the occasion to buy from them until now...

However usually before searching online i go to my local and favourite fabrics' shop to search for what i need, at least in matter of fabrics ,laces, ribbons etc i find everything

sewing is actually the hardest part. i haven't even get to a beginner level yet.

Sewing it's not so difficult, believe me, at least generally speaking I'm aactually a kind-of seamstress for humans and it's pretty simple to start with the basics, i've actually just started sewing for dollfies but the hardest part for what i've experienced is to get the basic pattern right for the doll's size and measures and to sew in small details

****** My Custom DD outfits shop ******My Custom Faceups shop ******

Girls at home:

Lilac - DD2 WS + DDH-06 /Primrose - White Christmas Alna head /Iris - DDS NS + DDH-05 modded /Amaryllis - MDD NS + DDH-06 modded

Chang Kou-lao

I've stuff at Jo-ann's, Hobby Lobby and Walmart. I'm planning to get some supplies from Coolcat in the near future. They have tiny velcro and other small closures.

doll-mage

In addition to new stuff from fabric retail stores, I like to use vintage and antique fabrics and notions. :3 A family friend collects vintage and antique clothing, and on her expeditions she gathers unused fabrics and notions to pass onto me. I get a LOT of really beautiful fabrics this way.

IMO, there is nothing better for doll clothing than 1890-1920 cotton fabric. It is smooth, thin, and the weave is tight. I love sewing with it! XD The embroidered cotton trims are just stunning and delicate, as well.

I also collect remnants from the costume workshop of a local theatre, and discontinued swatches from an interior design studio. Those fabrics are great for little accents and single items.

Amara77
In addition to new stuff from fabric retail stores, I like to use vintage and antique fabrics and notions. :3 A family friend collects vintage and antique clothing, and on her expeditions she gathers unused fabrics and notions to pass onto me. I get a LOT of really beautiful fabrics this way.

IMO, there is nothing better for doll clothing than 1890-1920 cotton fabric. It is smooth, thin, and the weave is tight. I love sewing with it! XD The embroidered cotton trims are just stunning and delicate, as well.

I also collect remnants from the costume workshop of a local theatre, and discontinued swatches from an interior design studio. Those fabrics are great for little accents and single items.

This sounds amazing! A treasure trove of magical fabrics! I wish I had such connections. I'm a sucker for things like that!

Spoke too soon....

sklurk

sharing what I've found in terms of creating tactical gear:

I've been scouring aliexpress, ebay and various outlets that deal with chinese textiles suppliers.

I've been using a lot of grosgrain ribbon for military webbing and associated belts and straps. For Felicia's climbing harness and battle belt, the molle webbing is grosgrain ribbon, the bias tape is also ribbon. The nylon material is either 500d or 1000d cordura, which is what real tactical gear is made out of. The weave on 1000d is pretty tight and looks like it's more to scale with 1/3. It's more dense and more difficult to work with though, and is much stiffer. It's not quite as thick as denim but sewing 2-3 layers together can pose a problem to underpowered sewing machines.

Along with the ribbon, I've searched high and low for buckle hardware. There's no shortage of 10mm side release buckles, you may even find some triglides or side buckles with integrated ladder locks. Though the individual triglides are rather large and take up quite a bit of space.

I found some 3mm side buckles used in 1/6" action figure gear, but I have not found what they use for webbing/strapping.

Adding some info:

the material used in the vest is called cordura. It's a nylon fabric that is used in luggage, backpacks, upholstery and more notably, military equipment for gear pouches, ballistic armor carriers, etc. Most of my cordura came from an ebay seller. They were scraps sold off by a tarp maker that uses the material. A box of scraps contained about 10 yards of material. Rolls of cordura come from makers at 60" wide, so 10 yards is a LOT of material.

Cordura also comes in several different thread counts, 330d being the lighter side, 1000d being the most dense and heaviest.

Quality zippers has been an issue, especially finding them in the right length. So far I've been buying from zipperstop who sells ykk zippers in just about any color available and cut to custom lengths if you want them cut and stopppered to your needs.