Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

DezzyCakes

Too Young For This Hobby?

DezzyCakes

flowerhoney

Okay, will do!

In any case, if you're the kind of 14 year old that's saving up their own money and doing all their homework before getting a doll, then you're ok by me!

Of course! My grades matter to me because that is a sign I'm understanding the work and I can prove to myself I can do it!

Doubtfull that a 14year old person would chock on a dollfie hand...Well,what make a person eat a +20$ hand at first place..

This really cracked me up. I think the person who would do that is just a new level of stupid.

As others have said, it really is about a level of responsibility (and dedication) rather than magically acquiring some previously unknown info or talent the moment someone turns 15... (Reminds me of the Sims aging up in a swirling cloud of glitter and lights ) In contrast, I've heard the invalid argument that I was too old for dolls since I was about 8 or so, and in my own way I told them to stuff it. I'm 35 now and have come to discover that dolls are not optional for me to function on a daily level, just like most of the rest of the world seems to crave daily social interaction. Or kids.

In short, if you love it, do it. Along the way you'll learn a lot more about yourself as you learn to appreciate the little things, even if they may fall outside the realm of what others conciser normal. To quote my husband (Ravendruid) from many years ago: I like you. You're not normal. Normal people are boring.

~Sister Kyoya

That right there is some great life advice. Thank you Sister Kyoya!

I agree with pretty much everyone here that it's absolutely about personal maturity and not about age. If you can handle the patience and cognizance to save up enough for one, and take good enough care of your stuff to know that you're not likely to damage her, then you're old enough. Case on that: closed.

That said, this does remind me of a few horror stories I've found on Den of Angels, so I feel I should probably toss this out there: You may be mature enough to handle an expensive collector's items, but some of your friends might not be. Just use discretion in which friends you let handle your new vinyl family member, yeah? Might want to put her in a cabinet or on a high shelf when untested and/or rowdy friends come by, at least until you know their mettle.

Understood! Thank you Poofiemus!

JolieMariella

In any case, if you're the kind of 14 year old that's saving up their own money and doing all their homework before getting a doll, then you're ok by me!

Of course! My grades matter to me because that is a sign I'm understanding the work and I can prove to myself I can do it!

Lol, well by 'homework' I meant researching how to safely handle and care for your new doll, but school work is important too! XD

DezzyCakes

Lol, well by 'homework' I meant researching how to safely handle and care for your new doll, but school work is important too! XD

Wow, I totally misunderstood what you meant.. Lol. xD

Dannayi
Hello everyone, this topic has always been on my mind. I don't believe anyone has posted this.

I'm 14, I like Dollfie Dreams and Resin dolls, I'm saving up to get a Dollfie Dream. I remember once seeing some topic on a website (don't remember, sorry), saying you shouldn't be in this hobby if you're under 16 or something.

Now, I think it's possible to own a doll at a young age. I would kinda compare it to, wanting a pet at a young age. It teaches you responsibility and managing money.

What do you guys think?

(And yes, I know my writing is horrible.. TT___TT)

NOT AT ALL!!!! I know a girl who is 12 years old and is already trying to buy 2 dollfie dreams at once. I was like "Where are you going to get the money from?!? She said wants to try to ask her dad for them. She tried to ask for Christmas but her dad denied and said ask a few months later and I may. Well a few months later has come and she wants to ask him for hem again on her birthday month. Or at the end of may at least.

She has great persistence and treats any to EVERY thing she has with such care. When it comes to this, then I must agree when they say age is but a number, because she shows much responsibility. She is even trying to sell most her monster high/Barbie/liv/pullip dolls to help pay some of the cost!

So I must say, it doesn't really matter how old or young you are as long as you know how to how to properly care for them. She want to have her two by the time she's either 13-14. That's only if her dad says no once again, because then she can get a job. But she shows so much maturity and responsibility its unbelievable. I say if you want to do it and start collecting DD's or SD's, go for it.

(Just a little note though-Resin dolls are VERY VERY heavy. I was at the park recently and this person asked ME(a random person) to hold her SUPER well dressed SD while she took a photo for her sister or cousin. I was just taking a stroll in the park and next im face-to face with an SD. I could tell she really cared for it by how clean and well dressed she was(the doll) And how she looked at me with so much trust it her eyes while she handed me her. It's like she thought I was the only person she could actually trsut with her doll at the park. Its was crazy....

Anyway, yeah as I said- Go for it.

(sorry about the bad spelling. I was typing fast. )

Izalith

Well, I don't think age is too important. I've seen some really immature adults, it's more upbringing than a number.

The main issue is saving enough to get a DD, especially if you're dependant on receiving allowance from parents.

It takes a LOT of saving up at that age, and you could be doing other things with that money (such as hanging out with friends, eating out, etc.). And there's also extras such as clothing, wigs, etc. unless you're fine with the default set.

I guess, if you save up for it, you're going to treasure that DD since you worked so hard to get it =P .

Dolls: Aozaki Aoko, Kujikawa Rise, Morikawa Yuki, Saber Lily, Shining Blade Sakuya, Neige (DDH-06), Akiko (DDH-07).

Selling: Lucy Maria Misora, Hagiwara Yukiho (iM@S)

Wishlist: DD Shibuya Rin (1st release)

Izalith
Hello everyone, this topic has always been on my mind. I don't believe anyone has posted this.

I'm 14, I like Dollfie Dreams and Resin dolls, I'm saving up to get a Dollfie Dream. I remember once seeing some topic on a website (don't remember, sorry), saying you shouldn't be in this hobby if you're under 16 or something.

Now, I think it's possible to own a doll at a young age. I would kinda compare it to, wanting a pet at a young age. It teaches you responsibility and managing money.

What do you guys think?

(And yes, I know my writing is horrible.. TT___TT)

NOT AT ALL!!!! I know a girl who is 12 years old and is already trying to buy 2 dollfie dreams at once. I was like "Where are you going to get the money from?!? She said wants to try to ask her dad for them. She tried to ask for Christmas but her dad denied and said ask a few months later and I may. Well a few months later has come and she wants to ask him for hem again on her birthday month. Or at the end of may at least.

She has great persistence and treats any to EVERY thing she has with such care. When it comes to this, then I must agree when they say age is but a number, because she shows much responsibility. She is even trying to sell most her monster high/Barbie/liv/pullip dolls to help pay some of the cost!

So I must say, it doesn't really matter how old or young you are as long as you know how to how to properly care for them. She want to have her two by the time she's either 13-14. That's only if her dad says no once again, because then she can get a job. But she shows so much maturity and responsibility its unbelievable. I say if you want to do it and start collecting DD's or SD's, go for it.

(Just a little note though-Resin dolls are VERY VERY heavy. I was at the park recently and this person asked ME(a random person) to hold her SUPER well dressed SD while she took a photo for her sister or cousin. I was just taking a stroll in the park and next im face-to face with an SD. I could tell she really cared for it by how clean and well dressed she was(the doll) And how she looked at me with so much trust it her eyes while she handed me her. It's like she thought I was the only person she could actually trsut with her doll at the park. Its was crazy....

Anyway, yeah as I said- Go for it.

(sorry about the bad spelling. I was typing fast. )

Asdfjkl I wish my parents would get me dolls T__T .

They see it as a very childish and feminine thing; it's funny that they consider dolls to be for "kids!"

DDs are like, the most fragile things ever lol. If my mom gave it to my niece to play with I would cry.

Dolls: Aozaki Aoko, Kujikawa Rise, Morikawa Yuki, Saber Lily, Shining Blade Sakuya, Neige (DDH-06), Akiko (DDH-07).

Selling: Lucy Maria Misora, Hagiwara Yukiho (iM@S)

Wishlist: DD Shibuya Rin (1st release)

french_[vanilla]1996

It doesn't really matter what age you are. As long as you took great care and save. (Intending to have a resin doll as my first doll or a DD) Age doesn't really matter

YouRei

Age or sex means nothing in a hobby o/

Someone in our local community is a guy in his near 50s and he collects dolls.

Myself included we have about 7 guys and we go once in a while to doll meets and share equally with the womens and girls of the group!! \o/

Ya musn't let society rule you, normal doesnt exist :p

What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

kanashiori.jpg

Dominic123

I'm 14 and love dollfie dreams and super dollfies!! I have 2 dollfie dreams and 2 on the way

Home:Lucy ver. 2, Yukino, Ranko Kanzaki, Hatsune Miku and Yu Morisawa

french_[vanilla]1996
I'm 14 and love dollfie dreams and super dollfies!! I have 2 dollfie dreams and 2 on the way

Wow, congrats! I am 17 but still no DD

What are your dolls?

WoundedNight64

I'm 16 now, and have had two resin girls and a DD. Currently saving for Saber Lily/Extra and working on a custom Caster. I got into the hobby when I was around 13 but I was really too scared to go to any meets as I thought people would think I was too young. But it's great to see that's not the case! My first DD was my Lucy, whom I didn't really bond with unfortunately. My parents were none too happy about that, but they understood once I explained it to them. My Mum really backed me up with that because she has shown an interest in the dolls. I think if I were going to buy another BJD it would be from someone on the forum or on DoA. That said, I still really want a Smart Doll Mirai new.

I think it's healthy to have hobbies at any age. My youngest niece is 7 years old and she treats my resins a lot better than my Mum does! It all depends on how you've been raised with regards to valuable items and property. Your maturity is what counts here and you shouldn't let yourself feel self-conscious about your age. Honestly, I believe that can be said for a number if hobbies. I study iaido as well and my dojo generally only accepts 18+ students, but after emailing the sensei he thought I was mature enough to study. It goes to show that it can get pretty far in life. Thought I did only start a month ago.

At home; DDH-07 'Medea',

Saving for; A body and Saber Lily ^_^

Waiting for:

Dominic123
1996"]

Wow, congrats! I am 17 but still no DD

What are your dolls?

I have lucy ver. 2 and yukino I'm waiting on ranko and miku I'm trying to turn lucy into DD black rock shooter.

Dominic123
I'm 16 now, and have had two resin girls and a DD. Currently saving for Saber Lily/Extra and working on a custom Caster. I got into the hobby when I was around 13 but I was really too scared to go to any meets as I thought people would think I was too young. But it's great to see that's not the case! My first DD was my Lucy, whom I didn't really bond with unfortunately. My parents were none too happy about that, but they understood once I explained it to them. My Mum really backed me up with that because she has shown an interest in the dolls. I think if I were going to buy another BJD it would be from someone on the forum or on DoA. That said, I still really want a Smart Doll Mirai new.

I think it's healthy to have hobbies at any age. My youngest niece is 7 years old and she treats my resins a lot better than my Mum does! It all depends on how you've been raised with regards to valuable items and property. Your maturity is what counts here and you shouldn't let yourself feel self-conscious about your age. Honestly, I believe that can be said for a number if hobbies. I study iaido as well and my dojo generally only accepts 18+ students, but after emailing the sensei he thought I was mature enough to study. It goes to show that it can get pretty far in life. Thought I did only start a month ago.

I think the same thing when there's a meet up close to where I live I'm like there all going to think why is there a kid here.

Proctor of the Dawn

Well for the local doll group, it's not that we discourage younger owners; it's just that our doll shoots tend to be on the more...adventurous side. So far we have had doll shoots:

- Situated on offshore islands, about half an hour's boat ride away from the main island of Singapore

- that go past midnight on certain occasions, such as during the Mid-Autumn Festival

- that are held overseas, mostly in the neighbouring country of Malaysia or more rarely in Hong Kong when we attend doll conventions as a group.

- that include a sleepover at a member's house.

So it's not that we're against the younger members of the doll community, it's that usually their parents have something to say about the type of outings we organize, lol!

Lita_Blanchimont

I first started collecting doll when I was 11, I had a pullip (My Melody, not a true BJD I know, but it was a start), and for my fourteenth birthday I got Rise Kujikawa (my grail doll), from Mandarake then when It came to Christmas I bought Momo, so as long as your going to look after them, I don't think age particularly matters.

DezzyCakes

Wow, first off, I just want to thank everyone for replying to this post of mine.

I always thought that being 14 years old and having a hobby (an expensive one at that) wasn't right. But, after reading all your comments and wise advice, I realized that it's alright to like whatever you want to, just as long as you're wise about it.

Just wanna say it again, thanks everyone!