Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
finnleo

simple DIY mechanical chair...

finnleo

This time its a bit 50% humor 50% seriousness...

for a small while have been playing around the idea of making a easily replicatable chair design out of wood, but as one thing lead to another, I got the bright spark of trying another medium to make a chair out of first...

Meccano..

12366998604_467c87fafc_z.jpg

misc023

its a bit of a laugh..

it looks old, bent, rusty, missmatched and generally a bit uncomfortable, but personally I find it somewath charming.

Adding a bit of padding makes it just a bit more suitable for lady use...

12366999494_bee387b60f_z.jpg

nagato006

But in the more serious approach its a relatively nice testbench on figuring out where do I want to be with measurements, if I ever get enough effort to start making the router templates for a wooden chair..

Migon

Looks like a nice start, Meccano seems like a great idea to start with to get all the measurements right.

I am planning to start building a couch out of Lego to get the size right and then replicate it in wood.

My Saber collection.

sign.png

Seityan - DDIII Saber Extra, Kosma - DDIII KOS-MOS.

nogo171

You have quite a great kit there!!

I can see a black and silver only design will perfectly match those detolf in the background. Material wise, metal will match glass much better than wood in your modern style set up, unless you want to go classic

At home Haruka (Haruka Niimi), Akira (Akira), Saber (Saber Alter), Madoka (Madoka SQ-Lab), Rise (Rise Kujikawa), Yukiho (Yukiho Hagiwara) & Touka (DDH-07)

finnleo
Looks like a nice start, Meccano seems like a great idea to start with to get all the measurements right.

I am planning to start building a couch out of Lego to get the size right and then replicate it in wood.

mm, the fexibility to move around the different points is a nice feature to troubleshoot measurements.

Considering lego, the current technic series could make an actual usable item, perhaps with some added padding.

You have quite a great kit there!!

I can see a black and silver only design will perfectly match those detolf in the background. Material wise, metal will match glass much better than wood in your modern style set up, unless you want to go classic

Actually I prefer clear coated or non treated wood grain. the glass and steel ribs are a minority in my man-cave which is mostly woodgrain or white, even the detols have the wood grain color option and not the black.

already have some ideas of replicating a certain style of scandinavian chair thats usually made out of plywood with some variations, but will need some more tools, mostly for replicating the shapes before I can get to that.

Migon

mm, the fexibility to move around the different points is a nice feature to troubleshoot measurements.

Considering lego, the current technic series could make an actual usable item, perhaps with some added padding.

I wish I had some Meccano as a kid.

Luckily I have a ton of Lego Technic old and new-ish. C:

My Saber collection.

sign.png

Seityan - DDIII Saber Extra, Kosma - DDIII KOS-MOS.

twinage

That chair has a quite nice shape and perfect for DD.

You can also make a chair-shaped clothes so this mechanical can be an instant sofas with changeable color

finnleo

mm.. it would be one option to make a fabric cover over the metal frame to make it look more like a normal chair. But then again that wold be taking away from the novelty value of the building material.

The fuzzy pelt alone gives this a sort of Suisei no Gargantia feel of cobbled together items. Not quite steampunk, but just cobbled together with whats at hand, if thats explained in a weird enough way.

twinage

The fabric cover is optional, I think it depends on the setup.

If you're taking princess-like setup, fabric cover will be nice.

But for steampunk and mechanical theme, this alone is already very nice