Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Oni-Chan

Making a Chair - Update 27th April - Pic spam

Oni-Chan

I'm having the worst luck trying to find chairs in Melbourne/Australia so I decided to make my own!

I haven't played with wood since year 8, and I have no idea what im doing, so please bear with me!

13558877303_1b9f3796ec.jpg

I'm using my pink sofa in the BG as inspiration for the one I'm making

13558828785_289728b741.jpg

I went with a thicker board that originally planned, so it might be a little snug XD

13559169734_05a0d2e0a9.jpg

I'm still trying to work out the best way to cover it. I *Think* I've got it worked out, so i'll update soon!

Edited by Guest

I have more dollfies than my age in years *×*

baldylox

Looks like a good start! Do you plan to make legs for it too? And how will you cover it? Will you have padding under the fabric?

Sorry for all the questions but I've toyed with the idea of making a sofa for a while now so seeing how others do things always brings that back up.

I hope it all works out for you!

PS. I love the shirt your girl is wearing! Where'd you get that from?

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Oni-Chan
Looks like a good start! Do you plan to make legs for it too? And how will you cover it? Will you have padding under the fabric?

Sorry for all the questions but I've toyed with the idea of making a sofa for a while now so seeing how others do things always brings that back up.

I hope it all works out for you!

Billy

Thanks Billy!

What I've shown here is the top half. I've since measured and cut fabric for the pieces, and they will have stuffing on the inside. I've had to put it on hold until I buy a hot glue gun and Small nails ^v^

The way i'll put it together will be stuff and glue the base fabric to the Top part of the chair base.

Cover the arms and stuff, glue and nail the arms to the base

Cover the back, stuff and glue and nail the front part of the backing, leaving a flap open to nail/glue the arms to the back board, then glue the back flap down, which in theory should be seamless with no visible nails

Then there's the 2nd part to the chair - the secondary base to which I'll nail the legs, and glue a kind of valance to cover the legs, then the base part gets glued to the top part and in theory it should all come together >v<

Sounds complicated I know, but as I progress i'll be sure to update pics!

Edit: More pics

13590906723_6968e0130f.jpg

13590880585_6bdbcfb9af.jpg

13590892155_1677581fab.jpg

Innocentsake

Like I told you while we were chatting I just love how this chair is coming along! Really can't wait to see the completed version. You are so crafty for your girls I love it

Billy

Since Oni-chan didn't answer this I figured I would supply you with the answer~ It's a top made by the wonderful Chun I got it for Oni-chan as one of her Christmas presents for her girls. My girls also have one If you wanted you could probably message Chun to see if she could make you one since I know she will take small commissions if she isn't busy. Now you know

Oni-Chan
Like I told you while we were chatting I just love how this chair is coming along! Really can't wait to see the completed version. You are so crafty for your girls I love it

Billy

Since Oni-chan didn't answer this I figured I would supply you with the answer~ It's a top made by the wonderful Chun I got it for Oni-chan as one of her Christmas presents for her girls. My girls also have one If you wanted you could probably message Chun to see if she could make you one since I know she will take small commissions if she isn't busy. Now you know

I forgot to answer and remembered after i posted but then i didnt know 100% myself @_@

baldylox

Heh, no worries about the shirt but thanks for letting me know where it came from Innocentsake! I'll have to see if I can get Chun to make one or two for me.... have to get my charm working a bit to make sure I can!

I like how the chair is looking! Thanks for the details on how you're doing it. One of these days I'll get off my duff and make a couch or chair for my girls.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Oni-Chan

Ok, so I've never used hot glue before, and I learned it's best to go quickly XD so there's not many in between shots, so i'll do my best to explain what I did

==========================================

Huzzah! The base and arms are done! I decided for my first attempt to forgo fluffing the bottom, instead i'll

make a cushion.

13839445544_a6bf4ce567.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Fluffy arm padding ^v^ the wood block at the bottom will eventually host the legs and Valance to hide all below and hopefully smooth out the rough edges :p

13839063225_9ae46eb5e6.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Close up of the Arm on one side. I used a fold and tuck method, Glued down the fabric, and glued the arm to the Base

13839403984_d750e0b71b.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

The Arm on the other side.

13839019915_25cfbf6608.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

The base part of the top half. All tucked away and glued + Nailed. The nails were nerve wracking as I couldn't tell if they ended up coming out on an angle or not >,<

13839050165_ee74949936.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

The full chair propped up by my hammer ^v^ I ran out of glue so I fluffed the backing ready, and clipped it in place. I'm still working out whether I should Glue+Nail the back to the 2nd base. I might do it that way so it's sturdy.

13839358864_dff245ea67.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Glue seepage. >,< (Middle) Lucky it'll be covered by a cushion

13838974595_b8c203ea0a.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

More glue seepage (Back corner)

13838952325_011d845924.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Chieko models today!

13839311534_fde5425aed.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Modelling Modelling....

13838961053_de494397c4.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

13838940853_55918310f3.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Added some Boxes so I can see the height. Chi-chan is a DDS, so it's gonna be good for DD too.

13838859615_ecce47fa16.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

And the valance. I just used a piece of scrap fabric. the proper one will have a couple ruffles (Haven't worked out that part yet)

13838839585_c9d3c1213c.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Added a Face washer in place of the cushion. as a result the arm is now too low >,< (Makes note to adjust measurements for next chair)

13838822525_a253cdb274.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Buuuut having said that, the face washer is pretty chunky, so maybe it wont be so bad once a thin cushion is made XD

13838810395_5f44fb720e.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Chieko! Don't show your Panties! ^///^ (Chieko: but I like showing them off!)

So you can see the fit without clothing in the way XD

13838816483_b9bdd03966.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Chieko: Tee hee

13839167034_9f9a630dab.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

The piece of wood I bought can make 2 more chairs, so I went and bought some more fabric, this time in a dark grey of the same pattern<3

13839464184_5e84447b5a.jpgUntitled by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

So that's my progress so far. What do you think? Thanks for stopping by

Oni-Chan

Huzzah, Flickr is working today!

So, I've finished the top part of my chair! >v<

14001609642_d334116e42.jpgchair by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

This is the back. I'm not sure if I should add some decorative furniture studs to hold the fabric to the wood (Besides just glue) or not. what do you think?

14001602942_d834a85ca9.jpgchair by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

From the front. I've made a half-assed cushion which i'll leave on it as the material used doesn't sew very well so I wont waste time making a nice square puffy cushion.

14024805913_629356e2f2.jpgchair by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Flipped over so you can see the puff of the back. On my next chair I will be puffing the bottom as well instead of a cushion, so yeah ^v^""

14001612871_512e64a22e.jpgchair by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Underneath the chair. you can see where I've glued and nailed it from the arm section, and glued from the back section

13981675596_9acd0621bf.jpgchair by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

Please forgive the background clutter ^///^ Hatsuko modelling in the chair. the width of the chair Vs DD hips didn't end up as squished as I thought, just right actually! here you can see my puff cushion. it ended up a little to short on width, but it doesn't matter, you wont notice it unless it's a straight on photo...

14004774915_5446d8fb57.jpgchair by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

As you can see, for the next one I also need to adjust the arm height. straight arms are awful obvious....

14001570302_deedea2e29.jpgchair by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

But bending arms isn't too bad.... you can also see how I've tucked and glued (Nailed in the bottom arm section) the backing part....

14024771763_83929a29b8.jpgchair by Princess-Oni, on Flickr

So soon I will measure and get some Pegs for legs so I can finish this chair and move onto the next one! as you can see the boxes that I have stacked are now a little too high so I have to take that into account when measuring this part.

Then it's just adding the pegs to the 2nd base, a valance and my chair is done!

What do you think so far? ^v^

Minuette

Gosh this is such a cute chair!! Any plans to make it in such a way it an be disassembled if need be? I love furniture that can be disassembled and put out of the way, haha. I can't wait to see it finished, it's just so cute!!

Oni-Chan
Gosh this is such a cute chair!! Any plans to make it in such a way it an be disassembled if need be? I love furniture that can be disassembled and put out of the way, haha. I can't wait to see it finished, it's just so cute!!

Thank you ^v^

I'm sure there could be a way I could attach/detach the top half from the bottom and they could stack neatly on top of each other...? ^v^"" individual pieces may be too hard to disassemble due to the way I put mine together but im not saying it can't be done :p

Amber

Awesome chair! I think some decorative studs would make it look like a real chair, but it honestly looks great as you have it.