Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
LordNoir

Anka - Ranka Lee Inspired

LordNoir

Not sure if anyone on this forum is familiar with Macross Frontier, or the character Ranka Lee ( Played by Megumi Nakajima, who is the voice bank for Megupoid of the Vocaloid series.)

Drawing inspiration from Ranka Lee, I have devised a character to have that similar feel and look, a cheerful well-meaning girl who is perhaps a little bit naive, caught in daydreams.

http://www.nautiljon.com/images/perso/8/9/3/ranka_lee_4398.png

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/3863/35612/moe08ranka.jpg

For her body, I will probably use either a DDS or an Obitsu 50cm, in order to insure she will be shorter than my other girls and therefore retain a childish look, but without being too short and immature in build.

For her head, I am thinking of using an Sq Lab Akane.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/XkidPythona/Akane1.jpg

Her sculpt looks to be a perfect match for a Ranka-like character. I will most likely be getting a blank head so that I can paint her up. As for wigs, I'm thinking I'll probably go with a brown or black bob that I can style into a slightly more Ranka style (longer in the front with bangs and shorter in the back.)

A crazy fool with a house full of dolls, and ponies, and pony dolls

Now an Official Dealer for SQ Lab!

Halcyon

Gumi~!

For her head, I am thinking of using an Sq Lab Akane.

The head mold looks good for her~!

DD 娘 - Dollfie Dream® Daughters

{1} : DDS [ユ-ピィ] - Euphie

LordNoir

Yes! Gumi! ^^

I'm glad everyone agrees that the head mold is a good choice. I put in some research today, and decided to name her Anka Nakajima (中島 杏夏) Using the specific kanji combination to mean "summer apricot" a reference to the idea of a late bloomer( apricots normally bloom in the springtime) and also her surname to reference Megumi Nakajima, the original seiyu of Ranka Lee, the basis of the character.

I've also decided that the DDS body would probably be the best choice for her, as the 50cm body from Obitsu would simply be too short in comparison to other DD girls to fit the character, but I have plans to use a 50cm body for another future character. ^^ Now, if only Volks USA would start to carry the DDS body so I wouldn't have to pay a ton to get her on Volks Int....

Halcyon
Yes! Gumi! ^^

I'm glad everyone agrees that the head mold is a good choice. I put in some research today, and decided to name her Anka Nakajima (中島 杏夏) Using the specific kanji combination to mean "summer apricot" a reference to the idea of a late bloomer( apricots normally bloom in the springtime) and also her surname to reference Megumi Nakajima, the original seiyu of Ranka Lee, the basis of the character.

I've also decided that the DDS body would probably be the best choice for her, as the 50cm body from Obitsu would simply be too short in comparison to other DD girls to fit the character, but I have plans to use a 50cm body for another future character. ^^ Now, if only Volks USA would start to carry the DDS body so I wouldn't have to pay a ton to get her on Volks Int....

You put a lot of thoughts into the name. I like it, the name, Anka Nakajima, that is!

And, yes, the DDS body seem to be the best choice for her.

If you are looking for a DDS body, you could probably find it on Y!J! Auction (Dollfie Dream 'Body'). Take this DDS 'S' body for example (~11 hours left from the time of this post).

LordNoir

^^ Ah thanks, but honestly I do this will all of my dolls, even my resins! It's only natural that I'd do this for my cute vinyl girls as well. It's about time all my kanji practice and odd knowledge was put to good use, right? XD

Halcyon thank you for the link! I logged onto Noppin and may very well put in a bid for her!

Waynio

Very cool idea!! I can't wait to see her completed!

Wayne

Halcyon
:oops: ^^ Ah thanks, but honestly I do this will all of my dolls, even my resins! It's only natural that I'd do this for my cute vinyl girls as well. It's about time all my kanji practice and odd knowledge was put to good use, right? XD

Halcyon thank you for the link! I logged onto Noppin and may very well put in a bid for her!

Aha~ No problem! I rarely go to Y!J! Auction nowadays, since updates get sent to my GMail. I'm usually on my GMail most of the time looking through all the alerts, updates, etc. It's takes forever to sort everything >.<

A little off-topic, but how's Noppin been treating you? I use Japan to Door, and don't really like it there ^.^;

LordNoir

Thank you Wayne! ^^ I will do my best to show pictures once I get any pieces of her around.

Now a tad off-topic...

I can't be horribly honest because I actually have never used Noppin to buy anything yet. ^^' It was recommended to me by a local friend who buys his DD girls using it. He told he he had never really had any sort of problems with it, and their fees are fairly reasonable. I only wish the USD->JPY rate was a bit better, as it would make things a whole lot easier overall.

This is also a tad off-topic, but the DDS body is now fairly standard right? Has there been any news about it being brought over to VOLKSUSA in the upcoming months? If so, I may set Anka on the back burner for a little while and focus current resources onto other girls I have been planning ( currently have 7 prepared on the list that I've been working on, including Anka. I just haven't posted any besides her on the boards because I wasn't quite sure if it was allowed. ^^' )

mitsuki

I think you can post as many planned projects as you want. One thing I have noticed about DDs is that plans can end up taking a long time or even changing completely. It is fun to talk about it.

I am hoping the DDS body will become standard soon and even available in the U.S. The DD Gathering is coming up in October. Maybe we will get a chance to get the body through that event.

LordNoir
I think you can post as many planned projects as you want. One thing I have noticed about DDs is that plans can end up taking a long time or even changing completely. It is fun to talk about it.

The idea of plans taking a long time and changing around is common with resin dolls as well. ^^ My own resin character shift around from time to time, developing and such, so I imagine any vinyls that enter this house would shift a little bit too.

My resins already have a storyline, so I figured the DD girls would have to fit slightly into that as well. I think in the frame of the world my dolls live in, it would be a bit funny if all the DD styled dolls were ethnically Japanese characters, seeing as none of my resins are ethnic Japanese (two of my resins do have Japanese names, but both were adopted into Japanese families.)

A tad off topic, but wasn't there a cartoon where things were handled that way? I seem to recall one where the main character was done in a Western animation style, but he went to Japan and all the Japanese characters were anime styled? That sort of idea is essentially my inspiration here, as it would be a good subject to address in photostories.

But back on topic! Essentially, I have the strangest feeling that my vinyls are going to end up having a "Love Hina" feel. ^^' I suppose it can't really be helped though, as when you put lots of different girl characters into one house it always seems to turn out that way.

mitsuki

I think I remember something like the cartoon you described but I don't remember more details.

A Love Hina feel sounds fun. Lots of different girls with different personalities is nice.

LordNoir

After getting Ichiko, I've been rethinking this project carefully. I think instead of an SQ lab head, maybe using DD option Head 4 or 6 instead, and putting her on a DDS body to make use of the "rock on" option hands that will be released soon (perfect for her!)

Waiting to see about the DDS standard release as well as DDS arriving at VolksUSA before I plan too much further with this character. However, I do know I will be working on a mock-up drawing of her as well. ^^

AerisAquata

Oh, I know what cartoon you're talking about! It's Kappa Mikey.

LordNoir

Ah! Thank you AerisAquata!

It's funny, I've decided to look over this thread again and dust it off a bit because.. well.. she's home.. in a way.

I'm a weak person. I saw the Obitsu 48cm and was overwhelmed by the cuteness. When she got home yesterday, I knew she couldn't be anyone but Anka. I will probably put her onto a DDS body when I can get all the parts together, but for now, the 48cm body is cute and a good height for her. I'd post a picture, but I have a convention coming up and I've sworn myself to secrecy with her until the doll panel on Sunday for the convention, so pics will be up after then. ^^

LordNoir

The anime convention is this upcoming weekend. I admit, she doesn't look a lot like I pictured her at first, but it seems all dolls take on a life of their own and develop a bit themselves once they get home.

Right now, I am struggling a bit since the eyes I got for her are too big, so they fit awkwardly in her head. I'll have to order a pair of 18mm for her since the 20mm are odd. I ordered a wig with her that I thought I would cut and style for her, but wouldn't you know once I put it on her, I liked it long. XD They can be so meddlesome sometimes.

She's really connected to Genko quickly, and already claims her as her older sister ( and at her height, she makes a cute little sister!) I've already been hard at work testing clothes and things, and she fits most MDD stuff fairly well, aside from the length of her legs being a bit longer, and she wears most tight DD things I have well, aside from them looking a little bit baggy. Regardless, she's a cutie and poses really well. The only thing about her I am not happy with is that her knee joints squeak very loudly. ^^"