Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Halcyon

Super Dollfie Dream®?

Halcyon

The first quote started it all! Thank you, dreamcore!

I don't think it's something that can be solved. The only way to stop the staining would be to stop making them out of vinyl, and then they wouldn't be DDs anymore.
I don't think it's something that can be solved. The only way to stop the staining would be to stop making them out of vinyl, and then they wouldn't be DDs anymore.

Early on there were a few "DD"'s in resin....

Although they were called "Super Dollfie Dream".

http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/event/dolpa11/lot02.aspx

http://www.volks.co.jp/en/event/dollsparty13/dolpa13_auction.aspx

http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/event/dolpa13/lot02.aspx

Whilst this would result in loss of poseability I wouldnt mind a resin option with new releases.

But then with resin you'd have to deal with the fact that it will yellow slightly with time (which is an inherent problem with all resin dolls, Volks or not). You lose one "problem" to have it replaced with another...

I own resin dolls as well and their mild yellowing is no real issue.

Not compared to nasty slather the DD in remove zit for 7 days stains.... As I said it would be nice to have the option to take the DDs either as vinyl OR resin.

Early on there were a few "DD"'s in resin....

Although they were called "Super Dollfie Dream".

http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/event/dolpa11/lot02.aspx

http://www.volks.co.jp/en/event/dollsparty13/dolpa13_auction.aspx

http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/event/dolpa13/lot02.aspx

Whilst this would result in loss of poseability I wouldnt mind a resin option with new releases.

That first one looks really pretty. I wouldn't mind a resin DD...

Having the option of either/or for a resin vs. vinyl DD wouldn't be so bad, but honestly, if they changed to resin, I think I'd stop collecting them.

One of the things that I love the most about DDs is that they are so much less delicate than resin... and that they're sooooo light. Resin is HEAVY. XD

My local friend who collects DDs actually has one of the Super Dollfie Dreams (she's Rei from Evangelion) and while she's quite awesome, I prefer the vinyl girls. Not only are they lighter, but they also hold poses quite a bit better.
The weight of DDs has good and bad points.

As I said I would like to have the option for resin rather than it being all resin or all vinyl. I'd then probably have a couple of base bodies in resin just for the tight fitting stain bait clothes (by swapping the heads) and keep vinyl for the rest.

Making DDs in resin wouldn't cure the staining issue though. Resin dolls stain as well from dark colored outfits. As an owner of 10 resin dolls and a dealer on top of that, my dolls are my lab mice when it comes to testing new clothing companies for staining before I try to sell them to customers. I've had my 1/3 boys turn purple, green and even blue once from an outfit or shirt they wore for as little as twenty minutes. That's why I always have a magic clean eraser on hand during photoshoots for new outfits, just in case the outfit stains.

As I do not have a vinyl doll yet ( hopefully she will ship out soon), I cannot verify staining between resin and vinyl, but I can say making them out of resin isn't going to mean no more stains. Also keep in mind that the price for resin has gone up lately, which means casting with resin is more costly than casting with vinyl.

Essentially, if DDs were cast in resin, they'd be quite a bit more expensive than they are now ( imagine Yukino and Aoi for sale at around $640 each straight from the company) and it's likely the outfits would still stain because of the materials used in the clothing. While if the materials themselves were treated or made in consideration to purposely prevent staining, the price of the dolls could remain the same, but clothing cost may go up.

Essentially, if DDs were cast in resin, they'd be quite a bit more expensive than they are now ( imagine Yukino and Aoi for sale at around $640 each straight from the company)

Well, I can say something quite opposite

My first doll, my Undine, is a resin bjd. She's Narvy from Aria Doll, a Korean company.

And she was quite a bit less expensive than a DD, being similar in size and aesthetics.

The quality is really good. Girls from our bjd forum say, it's on par with Volks.

And there are even cheaper manufacturers as well (mostly China), but of course the quality may be not that good.

I know dolls of similar size of the DD can be cheaper,but those companies are in Korea and China, Volks is in Japan. Japan has a much higher wage rate than Korea or China, and therefore it would be safe to say if DDs were made in resin, their price would be similar to that of the Super Dollfies that Volks makes now.

To be continued...

Oh~ This an interesting conversation. I never knew that Super Dollfie Dream existed! I'm curious; are Super Dollfie Dream strung with elastic like the Super Dollfie®?

Although the idea of a resin Dollfie Dream® is nice, I don't see how it would be compatible with the current internal resin skeleton/structure that the Dollfie Dream®(s) has/have. I mean, it's hard enough (in term of effort) trying to get a vinyl bust onto the Dollfie Dream®'s resin "chest/torso". I can't imagine how hard it's going to be if the bust part is made of resin. The resin material is harder than vinyl...

Treatment for Vinyl & Resin, Respectively

Both materials, resin and vinyl, have their own down-side.

Resin: a lot of efforts, but treatment only takes a day or two.

Vinyl: a small effort "applied" for over a long period of time (3 days, 5 days, 8 days, etc depending on the type of stain remover that the respected individual used).

Yellowing Issue for Resin Dolls - A Treatment Example

SQ Lab heads are made of resin. Once the resin heads yellow'ed. Sand it. There are special services out there that offer to sand a resin doll's head and/or body for a *price.

Once a doll's resin head is sanded, the head will look brand new again. The down-side: the doll will need a new face-up.

*It's a price I don't know, but I know that the "sanding" service exists.

Staining Issue for Vinyl Dolls

Remove-Zit, Oxy10, or any other stain remover.

Edited by Guest

DD 娘 - Dollfie Dream® Daughters

{1} : DDS [ユ-ピィ] - Euphie

Halcyon

Silicone Super Dollfie Dream®, anyone? The silicone material resists stain very well. Take the CandyGirls for an example. Make them wear dark clothes (e.g. black) for years, and these clothes never stain the silicone dolls (or mannequin in this case). I may be exaggerating, but you get the point.

I don't own a CandyGirl. XD

However, I have never heard any owner complaining about staining.

Edited by Guest

LordNoir

Having seen and messed around with a Super Dollfie Dream in person, she is strung with elastic like a Super Dollfie. Her elastic goes from each foot( as is common with most resin BJDs) and from elbow to elbow rather than wrist to wrist(wrist-to-wrist is more common for resin bjds.) She's heavier than DDs by quite a bit, and isn't able to hold poses as well as current DD base bodies. She can sit up ok, but standing can be a little difficult.

In order to change bust sizes, one has to unstring the doll completely and restring it with the new bust piece on. The process can take quite a bit of time if the one doing it isn't familiar with the structure of the string/body, the position of the knots in the body and lacks either the tools or the strength to hold the doll for stringing ( most dolls of 1/3 scale can require two people in order to restring the doll.)

There wouldn't be any way to make a Resin DD compatible with the current structure system, as the resin body parts wouldn't be able to be attached to the structure. I imagine the only parts that could be compatible between two such types of doll would simply be the heads.

Edited by Guest

A crazy fool with a house full of dolls, and ponies, and pony dolls

Now an Official Dealer for SQ Lab!

Kumi
I never knew that Super Dollfie Dream existed! I'm curious; are Super Dollfie Dream strung with elastic like the Super Dollfie®?

Although the idea of a resin Dollfie Dream® is nice, I don't see how it would be compatible with the current internal resin skeleton/structure that the Dollfie Dream®(s) has/have. I mean, it's hard enough (in term of effort) trying to get a vinyl bust onto the Dollfie Dream®'s resin "chest/torso". I can't imagine how hard it's going to be if the bust part is made of resin. The resin material is harder than vinyl...

AFAIK The Super Dollfie Dream was very similar to the DD I body (probably even partially recast in resin), and yes, it was strung with elastic.

It won't be compatible, it's just different type of body.

Yellowing Issue for Resin Dolls - A Treatment Example

SQ Lab heads are made of resin. Once the resin heads yellow'ed. Sand it. There are special services out there that offer to sand a resin doll's head and/or body for a *price.

Once a doll's resin head is sanded, the head will look brand new again. The down-side: the doll will need a new face-up.

*It's a price I don't know, but I know that the "sanding" service exists.

Really, I never heard anyone sanded their resin bjd to remove the yellowing. And because yellowing occurs more or less in the whole resin, even beneath the surface, You cannot simply remove the yellowed part. Besides, it's a LOT of work, and may be VERY unhealthy (PU resin is toxic).

And for the face, You will not only remove the faceup, but also change the shape. And probably damage the thin part like eyelids...

Sanding service, available from bjd companies, is meant to remove the seam lines from the casting.

Some people don't like them and want their doll to be smooth like a baby

And for the silicone, look at Wersaze's blog

He made silicone outer parts for DD II body and it's not the chest

http://wersaze.blog35.fc2.com/blog-entry-188.html

Halcyon
Having seen and messed around with a Super Dollfie Dream in person, she is strung with elastic like a Super Dollfie. Her elastic goes from each knee rather than each foot( as is common with most resin BJDs) and from elbow to elbow rather than wrist to wrist. She's heavier than DDs by quite a bit, and isn't able to hold poses as well as current DD base bodies. She can sit up ok, but standing can be a little difficult.

In order to change bust sizes, one has to unstring the doll completely and restring it with the new bust piece on. The process can take quite a bit of time if the one doing it isn't familiar with the structure of the string/body, the position of the knots in the body and lacks either the tools or the strength to hold the doll for stringing ( most dolls of 1/3 scale can require two people in order to restring the doll.

This gives me chills. I'm not a person knowledgeable in this sort of area, but it seem to me that unstringing and restringing Volks' Super Dollfie® x Dollfie Dream® = Super Dollfie Dream takes a lot of time (likewise for Super Dollfie® & Dollfie Dream® Base Body I).

There wouldn't be any way to make a Resin DD compatible with the current structure system, as the resin body parts wouldn't be able to be attached to the structure. I imagine the only parts that could be compatible between two such types of doll would simply be the heads.

I agree; making resin body parts compatible with the current skeletal structure seem unlikely. The only compatible part thus far is the head (e.g. SQ Lab heads).

What would it take to make resin parts compatible with Dollfie Dream®? Maybe a new and very complex Dollfie Dream® internal skeletal structure? Even such an internal skeletal structure is unimaginable; resin materials aren't as flexible and soft as vinyl. If someone managed to bridge this problem, making a internal skeletal structure that's compatible with both vinyl and resin body parts, this person must be a genius.

Edited by Guest

Halcyon
Really, I never heard anyone sanded their resin bjd to remove the yellowing. And because yellowing occurs more or less in the whole resin, even beneath the surface, You cannot simply remove the yellowed part. Besides, it's a LOT of work, and may be VERY unhealthy (PU resin is toxic).

And for the face, You will not only remove the faceup, but also change the shape. And probably damage the thin part like eyelids...

Sanding service, available from bjd companies, is meant to remove the seam lines from the casting.

Some people don't like them and want their doll to be smooth like a baby

I'll get back to you on this. I have to talk to my source first, you see.

And for the silicone, look at Wersaze's blog

He made silicone outer parts for DD II body and it's not the chest

The increased mobility that silicone parts add to the DD2 is just superb. Too bad a set of all the silicone body parts (excluding the head) is overpriced at $12,000 (it costs way more than a life-size silicone CandyGirl). Was the price, [$12,000], the starting price or the ending price? What type of silicone was used? Solar-grade (99.99999% pure silicone) or just a high grade of silicone (at 99% pure)? According to my rough calculations, one kilogram (~2.2 pounds) of high grade silicone (99% pure) is around $400 in the commodity market, and solar-grade silicon (99.99999% pure) is ~$2800/kg (talked a little about this in this thread in my 2nd post). In spite of the overpriced price tag, the pictures of the silicone DD looks quite nice.

arrex

Sanding sounds pretty draconion. Never going to try it on my SDs.

PrettyCranium

I would love to see pics of the Rei Super Dollfie Dream, if anyone can find them.

Kumi

The increased mobility that silicone parts add to the DD2 is just superb. Too bad a set of all the silicone body parts (excluding the head) is overpriced at $12,000 (it costs way more than a life-size silicone CandyGirl). Was the price, [$12,000], the starting price or the ending price?

Don't trust Google translations too much (why it translates jen to dollars is beyond me...)

It's 12500 JPY (~$160), probably it was starting price or maybe even "Buy It Now".

LordNoir
I would love to see pics of the Rei Super Dollfie Dream, if anyone can find them.

http://www.figure.fm/post/en/25543/Cabin+Fever.html

Ask and you shall receive. ^^ My friend who owns her happens to be a member of figure.fm and he's been posting blogs to have little interviews for each of his girls lately. Here is his blog for Rei:

http://soundwav2010.blogspot.com/2011/08/dollfie-dream-post-rei-ayanami.html

He also took some pictures of her from a meet-up we had last month, and I've asked him if he's ok with me posting them here. Hopefully he'll join the forum and post them himself.^^

Update: Did a bit more digging and coming up with a few conflicting bit of information. He did tell me she was resin, but her body is very similar to a DDI body, which used hard vinyl and was also strung. I'll have to ask him for some more info.

A crazy fool with a house full of dolls, and ponies, and pony dolls

Now an Official Dealer for SQ Lab!

Nakitaninja

They're called "Super Dollfie Dreams" because they were originally related to the Super Dollfie line before they broke off and developed the skeletal system to make the DD.

The term "Super" in this case is just a family naming convention- not necessarily indicating a superior product. ^^;;;

That was how the original Dollfie Dreams were created. Mitsuki can definitely tell you more as I believe her first one was a resin- or strung? (Mirai? I'm not sure, she'll have to comment on that!) ^^ I'm not sure which original girls were released as 'strung' DDs. It would be nice to have a list.

Basically these are all DDs you've seen before if you've looked at the older models but they just have different methods of composition.

You can still buy them, they tend to not be uber expensive because they are very difficult to string, tough to pose and don't have the benefits of the vinyl bodies that make DDs.... well, DDs.

Here's one for cheap on the eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220849664645

I am hoping this was helpful- I didn't read through the giant initial quote but skimmed and thought this info might be helpful.

40283197242_5620dd1681.jpg

Kumi
They're called "Super Dollfie Dreams" because they were originally related to the Super Dollfie line before they broke off and developed the skeletal system to make the DD.

The term "Super" in this case is just a family naming convention- not necessarily indicating a superior product. ^^;;;

That was how the original Dollfie Dreams were created. Mitsuki can definitely tell you more as I believe her first one was a resin- or strung? (Mirai? I'm not sure, she'll have to comment on that!) ^^ I'm not sure which original girls were released as 'strung' DDs.

Well, not quite the case

Dollfie Dream were created in 2003-2004, before Super DD were made (2004-2005).

From the start DD were made from vinyl, but the first body was cast from hard and soft vinyl and partially strung with elastic (torso and legs). Today often referred to as DD I or "Original" DD.

Here's example

4862357677_db10448365.jpg

Poppy1 by Prettymimy, on Flickr

5065604940_cda2baa82d.jpg

Rina wants to go from a DDI to a DDII body by mitsuki-chan, on Flickr

You can notice the different knees and the slots for the elastic.

Also, the DD I body had (afaik) one pair of spare hands, with slimmer fingers, for wearing gloves.

The Super Dollfie Dream were made in very limited quantities (maybe even one piece - they're described as one-off model) and they have body similar to DD I but cast in resin. And the word "Super" describes the crossing the border between DD (shape) and SD (resin).

Even the heads were recasts from one of the first DD character models - Mirai, and she was available before SDDs. We had 7th anniversary recently and that means, Mirai and Candy - both on DD I body - debuted in 2004.

The whole lot of first generation DDs have the strung DD I body, like Mirai, Candy or Nemu Asakura.

Body type DD II or DDIF was introduced probably around 2005 with the new Sirius. Or maybe with Mirai II / Candy II. Don't know for sure.

First generation Rei was also a DD I type vinyl strung body, not a resin - http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/dollfiedream2/charactors/rei/index_rei.aspx

And she had a standard DDH-02 head.

Now You can be confused, because many owners changed the original body for a DDII and now You see the first versions of Mirai or Rei with DDII.

The list of released DDs:

http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/dollfiedream/list_dd.html

http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/dollfiedream/list_ddl.html

http://www.flickr.com/groups/dollfiedream/discuss/72157604716375946/

And probably some more places

mitsuki

There aren't too many old version DDs (DD1).

Mirai and Candy came out August 10, 2003 with the old body.

5788401798_93e8c9d872.jpg

5788401702_da2bf2a0ca.jpg

5787845575_8d91ab585c.jpg

Mirai (DD1); August 10, 2003

Candy (DD1); August 10, 2003

Ayanami Rei Swimsuit version (DD1); February 29, 2004

Ayanami Rei Transfer student version (DD1); May 02, 2004

Asakura Nemu (DD1); August 01, 2004

Mirai II (DD2); December 5, 2004

Candy II (DD2); December 5, 2004

Asakura Nemu (DD1) white shirt version; December 5, 2004

Sirius (DD1) anniversary model; March 21, 2005

Sirius (DD2) product model; May 23, 2005

Kasumi (white skin DD2); May 23, 2005

Sanjie (tan skin DD2); July 23, 2005

The DD2 started to be intermixed with DD1 releases. It is hard to say when the official switch to DD2 was or if there will be an official switch to DD3.

Dolly

Having been an owner of resin BJD's for many years, I love the idea of a "Super Dollfie Dream", aka a DD in resin! I'm sure a lot of you DD folks find stringing very intimidating, but coming from the other side of the fence this internal skeleton thing is intimidating to me, so I think it is a matter of what you are used to. And as far as resin stains go, pffft, no big deal! They DO stain on occasion but you can clean the stains fairly easily with a magic eraser. My resin girls wear dark unwashed denim and black without fear!

That said . . . I don't think Volks could pull it off without either making the joints a royal pain or reducing the poseability to that of a DDI. Don't get me wrong, there are resin BJD's that are wonderful posers that also have a beautiful body line. But Volks . . . well . . . let's just say their "beautiful" SDGr and SD17 bodies drive me nuts.

Interestingly, Rocket Corgi makes the equivalent of resin DD parts meant to "convert" resin SD's to DD size and aesthetics. I actually bought the parts some time ago, but sold them 'cause the leg parts were rather poor quality and the arm joints were probably the worst type of double joint I've seen. >.<

<3 At home: Smartdoll Dimension & Onward 

(*) Wishing for: Dollfie Dream

Nakitaninja

Ahhh, so I was mistaken by indicating they preceded DDs. Thank you for the clarification. They were release the same year as the original DDs and not before. I am guessing SDDs were the "more expensive" hybrid version of the DD and internally strung Super Dollfie. Not sure how that conflicts with:

I'm respectfully sticking with the entirety of my original statement & the naming convention. My timeline may have been off but at the heart of the matter, I believe we're basically saying exactly the same thing.

It's good to know the details about the different product lines. It seems as though Volks was testing the audience for the DDs before they settled on a method of manufacturing, eh?

Thank you for the dates of release though & pictures, Mitsuki, super helpful! I knew you'd have answers.

Kumi

Excuse my not that good English skills, but I think we're still bit off

They were release the same year as the original DDs and not before. I am guessing SDDs were the "more expensive" hybrid version of the DD and internally strung Super Dollfie.

Year after, the first one (2004, Dolpa 11). Two years, the second (2005, Dolpa 13).

Meant as prize to win at Dolpa by auction, not even as limited lottery model.

t's good to know the details about the different product lines. It seems as though Volks was testing the audience for the DDs before they settled on a method of manufacturing, eh?

I think they weren't for testing. They're prizes, very, very limited models.

At that time, vinyl DDs were considered "cheaper, lesser alternative to a resin". So they were something luxurious.

For the anniversary there were 3 one-offs and some people thought, Volks will again release DDs from resin.

But they didn't, they used vinyl DDs for it. But one of them is unique and unavailable - it's white skin Moe - http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/event/dd7th/oneoff04.html

Nakitaninja
Excuse my not that good English skills, but I think we're still bit off

Your skills are just fine. I understood you perfectly when I wrote my last message. Thanks!

mitsuki

Here are the seven one-offs from the 7th Anniversary:

6144983488_a0a2e3d7be.jpg

White skin Rin one-off

6032250577_454c90da01.jpg

6032809232_f67dfe4dec.jpg

6032250613_1d11636b52.jpg

6032250657_e62cd25b33.jpg

White skin Yuki one-off

6030086260_a0a61fdeef.jpg

6030086322_e27b757d57.jpg

There was also a Tamaki in a wedding dress auctioned off for charity:

5661587553_a19c5c4a38.jpg

5662156140_b933aff6fa.jpg

Volks has gotten into one-offs lately but the later ones have all been made of vinyl.

PrettyCranium

Interesting, LordNoir! I saw that post on Figure.fm and thought she was the first generation Dollfie Dream (strung vinyl) Rei.

Did Volks not come out with a resin Chobits Chii doll at one point?

Edit: okay, read the rest of the thread. Never mind!

dreamcore

Oh wow, this topic has gotten big quite fast!

Although I said before that I wouldn't mind a resin DD, after reading some of the comments, I'm not so sure anymore. They sound like quite the hassle. I love how easy the DDs are to care for, and how little I have to worry about anything other that staining. I think resin would just turn them into expensive shelf decorations.