Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Bucket

Freedom!

Bucket

*cough* Sorry. I mean...Hello from Scotland!

I am absolutely brand new to all of this and have only recently decided that I would like to start collecting Dollfie Dreams

I'm 28 years old, and am currently a full-time student. In terms of hobbies, I do a bit of writing, and I'm hoping to start drawing later this year

If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful for it, and look forward to reading more of the knowledge collected so thoughtfully on this fantastic site

Thanks for your time, and please don't be shy if you feel like messaging me

mitsuki

Welcome! Have you decided which DD you would like to get? Or do you already have one?

Bucket

Thank you for the replies, I have to admit I was getting a bit worried there for a while. 'New Guy Syndrome' I suppose

Welcome! Have you decided which DD you would like to get? Or do you already have one?

Hi there, nice to meet you I've not had any Dolls before, no, but I'd really like to start! Financial problems (which are thankfully no longer a problem) mean that I'm living in a rather small flat with a bunch of other people at the moment, but in September this year I'll be getting my own place again! So I thought I would do my research now so I can make an educated purchase later this year At the moment I am still quite clueless, which one is your favorite?

Hello ^^

Also EU? Great ^^

Hmmm do you start with dolls or do you had another kind of dolls before?

You're EU too, cool! Where are you from? I used to have a few figures here and there, but nothing even remotely comparably with a DD in terms of quality What about yourself, how did you start your collection?

Pihlajakoto

Welcome! Ah, Scotland is awesome place. I wish I could go there to take pictures of Dollfie Dreams...

Volks releases new DD girls about 6 times a year plus pre-orders so you can wait until a girl you like gets released if you don't like chasing after previously released girl that can be hard to find or expensive. Check the Dollfie Dream Style Database to see what dolls are released and how versitale the differents sculpts are when customised. My first Dollfie was Mai Shiranui who's fullset appearance I hated, but as a head mold I just love

My blog Pihlajakoto

Bucket
Welcome! Ah, Scotland is awesome place. I wish I could go there to take pictures of Dollfie Dreams...

I wish you could too! I hope you don't mind, but I had a look at your blog and the pictures you have taken are amazing, you're very lucky to have such beautiful dolls! I especially liked 'Aoko at Night Beach'

Volks releases new DD girls about 6 times a year plus pre-orders so you can wait until a girl you like gets released if you don't like chasing after previously released girl that can be hard to find or expensive. Check the Dollfie Dream Style Database to see what dolls are released and how versitale the differents sculpts are when customised. My first Dollfie was Mai Shiranui who's fullset appearance I hated, but as a head mold I just love

I've managed to find that is in English and has dolls in stock on the Volks website, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to post links on my account

Out of the selection there though, I like Dollfie Dream Sister Mayu best I think

Is that Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters you got as your first Dollfie?! That's pretty cool

Pihlajakoto

I've managed to find that is in English and has dolls in stock on the Volks website, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to post links on my account

Out of the selection there though, I like Dollfie Dream Sister Mayu best I think

Is that Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters you got as your first Dollfie?! That's pretty cool

Yep, the first dollfie dream to arrive to me was Mai Shiranui of King of Fighters. I had ordered Yuki Morikawa from pre-order, but the wait was too long...

My blog Pihlajakoto

Bucket

How long would you have been waiting?

Pihlajakoto

I put my pre-order for Yuki as fast as I could (5th of February in 2010) so I could get the bonus item for fast pre-order (not that they had those after the White Album girls..) She was delivered to me at the end of July the same year. It was just about 5 months, but the doll fever was so bad that I got Mai in March ^^;

Even if the pre-orders are a long wait, I like them because it is a guaranteed that I get a doll. I got M.O.M.O from pre-order and I have Sheryl in pre-order and I'm 100% sure that the first day Snow Miku's pre-order comes up, I'll have signed up for that too

My blog Pihlajakoto

Bucket

Wow, you've got this all worked out Good luck with the Snow Miku's pre-order too, she looks amazing, especially her eyes

I'd be happy to own any doll at this stage! Would you advise against getting either Dollfie Dream Yukino 2nd Version, or Dollfie Dream Yukino 2nd Version? Both of them appear to be in stock and I think they are very pretty, I was just wondering how people felt about them

Pihlajakoto

I'd be happy to own any doll at this stage! Would you advise against getting either Dollfie Dream Yukino 2nd Version, or Dollfie Dream Yukino 2nd Version? Both of them appear to be in stock and I think they are very pretty, I was just wondering how people felt about them

In stock where O_O ? Not in Volks International (this is the place that delivers to all over the globe and I've been stalking for bodies). I guess you found them from Volks usa , but as they ship only to USA and Canada, do you have proxy?

I can't really say which standard is the best for you as it's a matter of taste. Both models are liked very much around the forum. As long as your happy with your choice I think that is all that matters

My blog Pihlajakoto

Bucket

In stock where O_O ? Not in Volks International (this is the place that delivers to all over the globe and I've been stalking for bodies). I guess you found them from Volks usa, but as they ship only to USA and Canada, do you have proxy?

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I was indeed looking at the USA site. That's a real shame as I thought I'd found somewhere I could reliably get my first doll

Also, I unfortunately don't have a proxy no. I guess I'll just have to wait until they come back into international stock like everyone else Do you know how often are they re-stocked?

I can't really say which standard is the best for you as it's a matter of taste. Both models are liked very much around the forum. As long as your happy with your choice I think that is all that matters

I'd certainly be happy with a choice from the selection on Volks International, especially if Dollfie Dream Dynamite Miko came back into stock

DesertAngel

Advice?

------> Read these boards! You will find them invaluable. Many helpful people here who are DD experts. (I'm *not* one of the experts. I got my first DD back in November. I'm very new to this.)

Just a few of the things I've learned from people on this website:

* DD3s pose better than DD2s. The joints on a DD2 are loose enough that they have difficulty supporting the weight of a sword. Volks fixed this problem with the DD3s. But, the DD3s are easier to break. Coolcat Doll Accessories even makes metal parts for the DD3s on account of this.

* DD1s are strung together. The DD2s and DD3s have an internal skeleton. Lots of DD disassembly and demonstration videos on Youtube.

* Somewhere on this DD webpage, there's a photographic series that shows all the major differences between the 1s, 2s and 3s. Find it.

* Learn how to prevent stains. This means bodystockings, wig caps, washing (where possible) dark clothing, etc.

Read, read, read. Then ask questions. I was lucky with my first purchase; but -- to tell the truth -- I'd have been happier and more confident if I had invested some time at this website first.

Good luck!

Bucket

That's great information, and thank you very much for your advice

What DD did you go for in the end yourself?

DesertAngel

Saber Lily. And, for what she cost, she'll be my "only" for a VERY long time. But, I'm very happy with her.

And, that's a bit of important advice, too. "Get what you want." Better to be happy and a bit poorer than spend significant money and be not quite satisfied.

Saber Lily was a 2012 limited. So, for a dollfie, she's already old. And, she's scarce.

I haven't bought anything (yet) from the Japanese auction market. I am sure there are people on these boards who have. They can tell you how to do it. If you have your heart set on an old limited, that might save you a bit of money by not going through Ebay.

There were four or five good reasons why I specifically wanted Lily. I won't belabor them here. I just want to say that I greatly respect people who build their own DDs. Anyone can buy one. But, a real expert and artist can make one that's unique. The side benefit of doing this is, you will acquire the ability to take it apart down to the skeleton and fix (almost) anything that might ever happen to it. Me? I'm almost afraid to touch mine.

Bucket
Saber Lily was a 2012 limited. So, for a dollfie, she's already old. And, she's scarce.

I can see why she is rare! I've just had a look through your gallery, especially her first un-boxing, and she is really beautiful, I can't imagine anyone wanting to part with her It's hard to believe anyone would keep her in a cupboard!? I'll bet she's glad you rescued her

I'd quite like to build my own DD, but naturally I think I'll start with a standard one. Once I gather more knowledge/ambitious I can find some nicer clothes for them etc. as I get a feel for their personality But for now I would be thrilled just to own one.

Hello, welcome to the forum!!!!!!

Thank you very much for the warm welcome, it's great to be here

Bucket

Just to give an update, I've just purchased my first Dollfie Dream (the memorial edition of Candy, sorry I can't post links with my account currently), and she should be with me sometime in March

rebirth
Just to give an update, I've just purchased my first Dollfie Dream (the memorial edition of Candy, sorry I can't post links with my account currently), and she should be with me sometime in March

ohh, congrats on your first dollfie, the wait is going to feel like forever

Bucket
ohh, congrats on your first dollfie, the wait is going to feel like forever

Thanks very much, and you're exactly right! It'll be bad enough leading up to the 4th of March, but every day between then and the 20th will be agony

If she doesn't arrive by the 20th though...

DesertAngel

It won't be agony. You will be counting the days, expectantly.

A few suggestions for what to do while you're waiting? Find and buy a full size body stocking that will fit. Same for a wig cap. Get some Dollfie Rescue and perhaps some Dollfie Tape. You'll have a first aid kit available if there are any accidents.

Congratulations.

Pihlajakoto

Candy is a very pretty girl :3 I noticed that the standard version of Candy is coming to Volks International at 28th of February. You're lucky to get the memorial edition as she has more clothes.It's lot nicer to have her wear something other than a nightie.

My blog Pihlajakoto

Bucket
Find and buy a full size body stocking that will fit. Same for a wig cap. Get some Dollfie Rescue and perhaps some Dollfie Tape. You'll have a first aid kit available if there are any accidents.

Thank you very much, that's excellent advice! Taking a proactive rather than reactive stance

She has:

Wig: “Candy Standard Version” Original Style / DD Size

Head: “Mirai / Candy Standard Version” Original Head

Body: DD Base Body III / Normal Skin / L Shapely Bust

So from what I can see I would need:

DD Full Bodysuit (Normal Skin), Size: DD (L Bust)

Dollfie Head cap M Size (Renewal Ver.) / MSD

SD Pitatto Wig (Doll Wig Stopper) (Renewal Ver.)

Dream Rescue

Could someone please confirm this is accurate (especially the wig cap)? I'd be so sad if anything happened to her

Candy is a very pretty girl :3 I noticed that the standard version of Candy is coming to Volks International at 28th of February. You're lucky to get the memorial edition as she has more clothes.It's lot nicer to have her wear something other than a nightie.

I might have jumped the gun a bit then, but still you're right the extra clothes are a bonus I'll have to see what other clothes are available, it'll be fun dressing her up

DesertAngel

"DD3"

I have a DD2. So, you're not speaking with an expert on this subject. Hope someone else will step in if I am off base.

Check with CoolCat Doll Accessories about metal reinforcements for the joints.

One of the problems Volks had with the DD2 was they were not very good at holding swords or other heavy items when posed. (I have seen this, first hand.) Also, the DD2 didn't have quite enough range of motion on many of the joints. (I have discovered this to be true, too.) The DD3 was designed to fix these shortcomings; but, there were side effects to the fix.

The DD3 has stiffer joints that are better at supporting weight; but, the stiffness also makes them more prone to joint breakage. CoolCat sells reinforcements for the joints.

Please don't trust me on all this. Find a DD3 owner on these boards and ask them. They can tell you how they work or if you even need them. I cannot. Do your homework before spending money.

(I've heard that the upside of having a DD2 is that they are built like a tank. I never intend to find out. I have also heard that the joints on the DD2s and DD3s will tend to stick if they are left in one position for an extended period of time.)

mitsuki

Welcome, Freedom!

I love Mirai and Candy! I would love Memorial Edition Candy.

Find and buy a full size body stocking that will fit. Same for a wig cap. Get some Dollfie Rescue and perhaps some Dollfie Tape. You'll have a first aid kit available if there are any accidents.

I agree with what DesertAngel said but the tape has been reported to have issues:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11142

Here is some information on the Dollfie Rescue Cream:

http://www.dollfiedream.tokyo/en/dollfiedream/care_skin.html/

Thank you very much, that's excellent advice! Taking a proactive rather than reactive stance

She has:

Wig: “Candy Standard Version” Original Style / DD Size (This means 8-9" wig)

Head: “Mirai / Candy Standard Version” Original Head

Body: DD Base Body III / Normal Skin / L Shapely Bust

You would need:

DD Full Bodysuit (Normal Skin), Size: DD (L Bust)

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992396873&version=en

Dollfie Head cap L Size (Renewal Ver.) / SD

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992380742&version=en

SD Pitatto Wig (Doll Wig Stopper) (Renewal Ver.)

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992335490&version=en

or a silicon wig stopper/cap from Cool Cat

http://us.sk-coolcat.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=other_39

Dream Rescue Cream or even benzoyl peroxide (acne) cream from a drug store would work

Could someone please confirm this is accurate (especially the wig cap)? I'd be so sad if anything happened to her

I agree! But like DesertAngel said, there are plenty of fix options. And DD3 much better than it used to be.

Here is a comparison of the body types:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=974

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2333

Great thread with the two Yukino editions (DD2 vs. DD3):

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3791

Like DesertAngel said, you can get Cool Cat reinforcements. Volks has been changing its shoulder joints so it would be good to check that the newest shoulder type is compatible.

Here is the link to the "large" version that should work for Candy.

http://us.sk-coolcat.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=dp-01c&Category=382741

There were two sizes of joints for DD3/DDS/DDdy3. Candy is very new so she should have the larger stronger version of the joints.

8081110324_4906c33f6a.jpg

Newer larger shoulder joint size versus thinner older shoulder joint size

16461673206_75bfcb92ff.jpg

Newer larger hip joint size versus thinner older hip joint size

8081109840_5ede8ce62b.jpg

Candy's DD3 body should have the newer thicker joint for the shoulder and hip. Only the really old DDS bodies had the thinner joints that Cool Cat refers to as "primitive."

8081110228_657354119a.jpg

Hip joint reinforcements

16298816859_9550b71291.jpg

It takes a bit of wiggling to free the leg from the hip. You should be pulling outward in the direction of the joint so you don't crack it.

16301759307_16cb690bff.jpg

Once you have it free, you just put the metal reinforcement part onto the joint and push down till it is flush.

16461673766_9019802b76.jpg

To add the shoulder joint reinforcement parts, remove the head, arms, and bust piece.

8081116033_42e1a1ccd8.jpg

The ring has to be in the right orientation to fit onto the joint.

16298817999_b97693b028.jpg

Once you have both metal reinforcement parts on, you can add the bust piece, arms, and head back onto the body.

The newest shoulder joint I think is the same size but a different design.

7564995708_4db8b016bd_z.jpg

DSC_6754 by balldylox, on Flickr

The old design is smooth.

DD3 inner frame variant found in KOS-MOS:

12369732843_2015f09800_c.jpg

_DSC0741SLT-A99VMACRO 50mm F2.820140205 by Visual Cacophony, on Flickr

I wonder how this change will fare regarding past breakage of the mk.1 and mk.2 shoulder socket types?

The new one looks like a spool for thread. But the reinforcement part might still fit over this design.

It is doubtful that anything would go seriously wrong. But even if it does, internal torso frame is sold separately and can be replaced. (This piece works for DDS, DD3, and DDdy3.)

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992386287&version=en

I hope this helps.