Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
zandikor

Trip to japan

zandikor

Alas finally got some time to go to Japan. Have a lot of places to go to. What are some good cheap places to eat at in Japan. Here in S. Korea there are kimbaps and pork cutlet places like Hans deli. Are there hans deli in Japan or anything similar. Also, how safe would it be to walk around with my dollfie?

sklurk

food is everywhere.... one of my favorite things to do is to randomly select places to eat.

the cheapest places to get a meal are the restaurants that use a vending machine to order, basically you pay, hit the button and go find a seat and your order will be called out to you. The problem with that is you need to be able to read and understand enough japanese to know what you ordered and know when your order is being called. Most of those places are under 1000yen. Full service restaurants start at around 1000yen and go up from there.

Also depends on where you're going. I found food prices in tokyo to be more expensive than hiroshima for example.

Food is not hard to find if you like eating. Cheap and good usually entailed a wait, those places are lined up around meal times.. but you'll know it's good. Noodle shops are pretty common, I had a onigiri and udon set meal in hiroshima for like 780yen at a full service restaurant. The lunch window was lined up pretty good so I decided to look inside and there were some seats free.

You can walk dressed pretty much like anything and carrying just about anything and nobody will point, stare, gawk, bother you as long as you're not naked or disturbing people.

Only time I've seen anyone with dollfies on both my trips was a maid cafe in akibahara. There was a group of guys with their dollfies having a get together, but I don't think it's out of the ordinary to see people with their dolls out at various flower gardens taking photos. I've seen people filming themselves dancing and doing various things in public places without passersby bothering them.

zandikor

Thanks sklurk. Now I just have to figure out the whole transportation issue, whether to get a rail pass or use single use the whole trip.

ShiroiKuma

To be honest a lot of it depends on where you are going in Japan to be honest. Assuming Tokyo though, you can get a fairly decent udon for around 450yen easily enough. Subway for a quick lunch is around 470~yen depending on your options and selection here.

But I can get the same in Fukuoka for a similar price, the price mainly changes when you want something a bit more exotic in a restaurant.

Regarding Dollfies, again not seen them outside of Akiba yet, but if you plan to carry one around I would really consider the safety of it. Especially if you plan to use the metro systems. The regulars won't bother making eye contact with you and will push you around on the train. If you plan to take her out, I'd take her in a very strong carry hold.

sklurk

if you are staying in the same city for the whole trip, you don't need the railpass. You will be hard pressed to take that many trips on the local trains to make it worth it.... Even a long trip on a local train will only cost you a few hundred yen.

I would advise you to get a suica, icoca or passmo or any other IC card that you can load with money so you don't have to deal with buying a ticket every time.. just wave and go till you need to charge it back up.

The rail pass becomes valuable if you do multiple cities. 2-3 trips on the bullet train in a week will justify the cost of the railpass.

Use www.hyperdia.com and simulate some of your transit around and add up the costs of the rail tickets and you'll know if you'll be close to needing the rail pass.

syrulijczyk

Japan is great country in this case. Everyone is kind and no one will bother you if you are peacefull

Ayuuya

Yoshinoya is also cheap! This is their menu. Donburi ( first option) are as cheap as 350, sides are fairly cheap and there are set options as well.

Sukiya is similar to Yoshinoya, as it is also a donburi chain.

Tengu is a cheap chain izakaya, they also have a lunch menu~ Here is a blog review. My friend and I ate there several times during our trip to Tokyo~ store locator

You could also check out the food floors in the department stores. Price range should stay within the 1000-2000yen range unless you are in a fancier one... If all else fails, there is always convenience store food!

^^ I also recommend getting a suica/passmo/etc. Railpasses aren't worth it unless you take the shinkansen several times... Or at least do a round trip from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto haha;;

It should be safe for you to walk around with your dollfie, but it might be easier to travel/walk around if she's safe in a bag. Personally though, I felt too shy to bring my dollfie around & take pictures of her much;;