Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Monty

Pocket Doll (AKA Smart Doll Mini) - 1/6 scale

Ravendruid
I wonder what licence it is he needs. Is he going to create new characters, do you think?

He has announced "Girls Und Panzer" and I know he's been trying for "Metal Gear". He's also said 9 new characters, three of which are male. Beyond that, no details yet.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

belpita
I wonder what licence it is he needs. Is he going to create new characters, do you think?

He has announced "Girls Und Panzer" and I know he's been trying for "Metal Gear". He's also said 9 new characters, three of which are male. Beyond that, no details yet.

Oh, of course! I thought maybe he was aiming for different characters for the small dolls, but probably not then.

Monty

This is entirely possibly just me jumping the gun but a week or so ago he randomly asked people if they prefer the Angelic Layer manga or anime using the smartdoll twitter account (I think? Unless I'm misremembering) If he really is thinking of pursuing that particular license (and with all the CLAMP revivals going on one after the other it wont be too left-field) it would be perfect if he made them as smart doll minis rather than the 1/3 versions. (even better if he made 1/6 Hikaru and 1/3 Misaki).

Whether or not that happens i'm still interested in the possibility of 1/6 character dolls as well as the 1/3 ones.

SlyViolin

I'm kinda surprised he hasn't acquired Chobits licence yet. He should really, really really go for it as I would love a little persocom with USBs.

If I ever got a smart doll, pretty sure this is how I would customise it.

Mistaria
I'm kinda surprised he hasn't acquired Chobits licence yet. He should really, really really go for it as I would love a little persocom with USBs.

If I ever got a smart doll, pretty sure this is how I would customise it.

This is a great idea! I too would loved to see a chii smart doll, I think this would be a very smart move if they did do this haha. I know I would finally get a smart doll if they were to release something like a chobits style one.

Current Dolls owned: Miku, Lucy v1+2, Mariko, Sonico, Sasara and Takane.

SolicitorPirate

While Chobits are thematically appropriate, does the series have any cultural cachet at this point? Admittedly I'm not into anime the way I used to be, but I'd imagine there are more recent and popular series with humanoid robots

Mikuland
While Chobits are thematically appropriate, does the series have any cultural cachet at this point? Admittedly I'm not into anime the way I used to be, but I'd imagine there are more recent and popular series with humanoid robots

Yeah, Chobits is dead and it woudlnt make money.

On the other hand I dont think there s any other ultra popular robot anime so I feel like just continue to doing the smart dolls as original characters is okay

Monty

While it may be 'dead', a bunch of things from CLAMP are starting to enter their 20th anniversaries and getting a lot of revival merch so maybe once it's 20 years old it could happen.

Ravendruid
While it may be 'dead', a bunch of things from CLAMP are starting to enter their 20th anniversaries and getting a lot of revival merch so maybe once it's 20 years old it could happen.

This, and while some may consider it "dead" obviously a number of people both immediately thought of the series when this came up and recognized the name, so it's not like it is some weird obscure thing that NOBODY is aware of. There are plenty of people who still hold a fondness for the classics, so I wouldn't just completely write it off. Besides, if he did do Chii, people who don't recognize her would have no less point of reference than for a new original character, so no loss there, and if the series is as "dead" as some claim, then the licensing fees shouldn't be too out of line.

I know that if Danny doesn't make a Smart Doll Plus version of Chii, that I will do whatever it takes to make myself a custom version. and I'm completely planning on having a Pocket Doll version of Blanche and Hikaru from Angelic Layer, one way or another. (and I'm sure SisterKyoya already has plans for Wizard)

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

toletta

Any news on this? I'd also be curious about a 1/4 scale doll, as I have so many 1/4 scale resin BJDs (and clothes!), but pocket size is certainly tempting...

Shailara

Someone said on instagram that Danny said (ahaha) that he delayed this line because of the licensed characters... which means he still plans on doing it.

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Poofiemus

This, and while some may consider it "dead" obviously a number of people both immediately thought of the series when this came up and recognized the name, so it's not like it is some weird obscure thing that NOBODY is aware of. There are plenty of people who still hold a fondness for the classics, so I wouldn't just completely write it off. Besides, if he did do Chii, people who don't recognize her would have no less point of reference than for a new original character, so no loss there, and if the series is as "dead" as some claim, then the licensing fees shouldn't be too out of line.

Also, let's not forget that a few years ago it looked like we weren't going to see much of anything new for Sailor Moon, only for us to wind up with Crystal and a whole bunch of new merch (including the upcoming DD Usagi). So I wouldn't write off Angelic Layer or Chobits stuff either.

(That said, now I'm kind of hoping for a new Chobits anime for the 20th anniversary, lol. I like the original anime, but consider the manga vastly superior, so a new and possibly darker take on it would not go amiss to me.)

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Eiko82

Danny is asking feedback on *why* he should release Pocket Doll given there are already so many 1/6th dolls out there. Looks like he might release it anyways.

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Yumeiro
I’ve kept Cortex production in Japan to maintain the quality.

I will still continue the vinyl business but am also very very exited about…..a doll that fits in your pocket - lemme show you that next month OMG its sooooo cute!

X

caporushes

I'll believe it when I see it but !!! Please don't be teasing me again, Danny...

marishade

I know! I was so excited when he teased these originally. I loved the idea of a mini Smart Doll I could leave at work and an Eiji that could suit my 1/6 mature bjd (because no one makes good mature 1/6 guys. . .).

I thought it was put to bed, but now he mentions them again? I am so excited. It might be more 'do-able' now that he is planning to release his 1/3 plastic line. When he teased them originally I worried about working with vinyl at that size, if he uses the injection molding process like the Cortex line it will be much easier to produce. Maybe that is one of the reasons he has waited so long? Wanted to gauge the reaction of 'plastic' Smart Dolls?

Silent

Edited by AmaFromEU

K-2
Maybe that is one of the reasons he has waited so long? Wanted to gauge the reaction of 'plastic' Smart Dolls?

Danny is really the only one developing products for Smart Doll so as his interests change projects will rotate from the back burner to the forefront. With the imminent release of Cortex, Danny now knows all about the hows and whys of injection molding, making further development of the Pocket Dolls more realistic.

MVSig.jpg

cirquemom

Danny is really the only one developing products for Smart Doll so as his interests change projects will rotate from the back burner to the forefront. With the imminent release of Cortex, Danny now knows all about the hows and whys of injection molding, making further development of the Pocket Dolls more realistic.

I wonder if Cortex was really kind of a dress rehearsal for the Pocket Dolls. Should be relatively easy to reset the 3-D printer to reduce them down to that size.

vhdangel

I am disappointed. ;_; I was so excited to have a vinyl doll at 1/6 size that had amazing articulation and clothes/wigs/eyes. Something more mature than Azones but with a strong anime feel, and so customizable.

Now they're just gonna feel like cheap plastic (IMO, other people might like it, but I have issues with Obitsu and Volks 1/6 bodies because of this exact thing.) I know it's to cut costs, but knowing Danny they'll still have a hefty price tag, and I don't know if I want to shell out that kind of money for ABS/PVC/whatever, especially without seeing it first.

And of course, if they don't do well Danny will blame the fan base, instead of his decision to change them. >.>

Misuka

I think 1/6 injection will probably be able to get better detail (look at gunpla) compared to comparable 1/6 dolls in the scale. I'm really excited and already have an outfit if its 1/6.

Panda_Dolliess

I'm pretty excited about the Pocket Dolls. However, which skin tones and sculpts he released will depend on if I buy one or not. I'll keep my 1/6 sizes clothes for now....

Sinisterrainbow

I would love to have a mini smart doll