Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

foo

Customizing Rin v2

foo

I'm having a hard time with Rin

From the wigs I have, I learned the Crobi 8" wigs aren't a good fit for Rin. For example, here's Yaya wearing CRWML-93,

21409222691_d5cbb1c21e_z.jpg

Something different by bodolza, on Flickr

I tried it on Miku. This was VERY hard to get on because her head is huge, when I finally got it on I kind of regretted it because I must have really stretched the wig,

BE37sgO.jpg

Her hair fringe sits pretty wide. I generally don't style it, but you can see on Yaya it had more volume.

This is what I get when I try this 8" wig on Rin,

UolZKBf.jpg

I didn't bother trying any harder than that to get it on.

I got an 8" wig for Sakuya too, CRWML-80, and I know it's much more loose than the 93 wig. It looks like this,

15102736503_488398e9cc_z.jpg

DSC_2041 by bodolza, on Flickr

Here it is on Rin (with some extra tail extensions),

25559716904_04c67724f0_z.jpg

Rin w/ Crobi CRWML-80 by bodolza, on Flickr

Unlike the 93 wig this actually fits, but the fringe doesn't sit as nicely as it does on Sakuya.

I ordered 9-10" wigs from Crobi for CRWL-34 (not shown above, only available in 9-10") and 80 (Sakuya's wig). I really couldn't get the 80 to fit right on Rin. If I let the tip of the headcap sit very far back, I get this,

i11GP2w.jpg

Which is okay, it looks more like that photo of Sakuya above, but in order to make it work I'll need to trim those bangs. I've pulled the wig so far back that it's ready to fall off.

The other wig's better. I didn't have much luck trying to attach the tail extensions to this wig. You have to clamp the jaws of death onto something and I didn't feel like spending the time fiddling with the wig to get it right.

F9cpwKk.jpg

FWIW, this is it on Miku,

m3ntDR1.jpg

I also noticed that these wigs weren't as cut as well as the wigs I got from Crobi in the past. The fringe on both of them weren't trimmed cleanly. I actually compared the old powder brown CRWL-34 I have to the new one, and even though that wig's 2 years old it looks much tidier. I took this photo about a month ago, but this is the same style of wig as the one Miku's wearing above,

OXjtvdF.jpg

I'll probably use the new 34 on Rin for now, but I have to do something about Rin's eyes. It's not going well so far (。-_-。)

Edited by Guest

Nikn

Wow I didn't knew Rin's head was so big xD I usually but allmy wigs in 9-10 since Mariko's head seemed quite big to me when she arrived xD

But its kinda sad what you say about the wigs being mesier and having less quality, I don't own any crobi wigs, but they always seemed so nice...

galatia9

Thanks for showing your pretty girls wearing these wigs, foo! I don't know much about Crobi wigs. Miku looks good in just about all of them, and the two with tails suit Rin really well.

I'm surprised how different the wigs look on both skintones.

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

foo
But its kinda sad what you say about the wigs being mesier and having less quality, I don't own any crobi wigs, but they always seemed so nice...

Ya, I'm still kind of surprised actually. Those photos of the new wigs were taken after already spending some time trimming them with detail scissors to remove uneven strands, and I spent a little more time since. I don't think I ever had to trim my old wigs.

Overall though the quality of the wigs are still very good, they're dense with fibres so you don't see the wig caps, and the wig caps themselves aren't dyed so you don't have to worry about staining. I'm a bit disappointed but I still recommend them.

Thanks for showing your pretty girls wearing these wigs, foo!

Thank you ^^ Miku does make everything look great, but the main challenge with Miku is her green eyes. I could easily switch them out, but then in the back of my mind there's still a few Miku-related photos I want to take. Well I don't have that many wigs that fit her well anyway

foo

I've decided to use this thread for more than just wigs :3 Like eyeballs. I've been trying to get some for Rin that I like and haven't had much luck. I posted some of this stuff in a couple other threads.

I bought the 24 mm Moonlight eyes from Lizanna, in Aquamarine colour. They're very pretty, but they're much larger than I expected f^_^') Because of that they don't work at all,

JNmYnId.jpg

I adjusted them later during the daytime to raise them a bit, and they looked better but the white highlight in one of the eyes is lost then,

JCS8paw.jpg

M2ukXzY.jpg

The only other eyes I had at the time were Miku's Senbonzakura eyes. It's probably hard to appreciate this unless you have Miku, but as soon as I put them in she looked so much like Miku XD

25965702003_b5bdd4b4d4_z.jpg

Mikurin by bodolza, on Flickr

And they looked good on her,

25965700553_61083bfd54_z.jpg

Rinzakura (1) by bodolza, on Flickr

Actually they looked wonderful,

26581737445_7f807579de_z.jpg

Lovely Rin by bodolza, on Flickr

I put her original eyes back. I spent a bunch of time just trying to get them to look ok and they ended up like this. I think they're closer together than originally.

26812849632_316134e204_z.jpg

Rin Spam (1) by bodolza, on Flickr

TBH, I have no idea WTH I'm doing so I decided to just buy a whole bunch of blue eyes and see what happens. I want to replace the default eyes (which lack contrast and make her look spaced out), with blue eyes that still look like they belong to Rin. So I ordered eyes from Arietta Project and White Dolly Story. They ended up arriving at pretty much the same time, so I spent time yesterday and today going through them all. Unfortunately it's rainy and dark, and it's hard to get any good lighting. It's raining tomorrow too so I may as well go with this.

The Arietta Project eyes are actually flat 2-dimensional eyes (・・') Where eyes typically have a dome, these eyes just have a thick clear coat over the design. There's a slight curve that one could argue is a dome, but it doesn't work like one. These are flat.

Here's the Aoko-style eyes in 24 mm (they're not actually clones of Aoko's eyes, they just have a similar design).

omgwtf, the imgur url had what the forum thinks is a swear word so it was turning the image into this.

I had to re-upload the image to get a new url.

BwhsxoF.jpg

That's kinda ok but mostly not.

The Melty-style eyes (which really don't look like Melty's eyes),

86wk5bw.jpg

That kind of shoes how flat they are.

The Saber Extra style eyes, the design at least, looks great for Rin! And it should really because duh.

BNkSoGI.jpg

But so flat

uOKrQdz.jpg

Next up is the WDS eyes, Type F. I got them and I could see a moire pattern as if it's just printed from a laser printer !(◎_◎') I took a photo with my macro lens,

nVZtRUz.jpg

What's actually going on is that while there is a moire pattern, it's so that the non-printed parts of the design show the sparkly base underneath.

They looked kind of dull, I took a shot to compare to Rin's default eyes,

L9b5gsC.jpg

I wasn't that hopeful...

Left to right are navy, sea blue, and Rin's original eyes. I wasn't sure what colour to get (-‸ლ)

kmhT7qj.jpg

I also wasn't sure what size to get, so I also ordered the sea blue in 24 mm. Here's how it looked,

0DSI3vN.jpg

The photo's kind of nice actually but it looked weird in person so I didn't keep them in long. I'll try them again later.

Here's the sea blue in 22 mm,

3Lc50FR.jpg

I had a hard time trying to get these to look ok. The problem is that eyes don't really fit in Rin's eye sockets because of the really wide shape, so it's hard to figure out how high or low they should be, and that really changes how the eyes look. You'll also notice that I'm putting on the wig each time I try some XD The look changes so much once a wig goes on.

And it REALLY feels like Rin's eyes are asymmetrical, but I don't think they are. I can never get the eye on the left (her right eye) to look right! I spend a ton of time on it too 098eb4a5.gif

The sea blue looks like the right colour I want, but the design is just too busy or something. I also ordered some in the almond colour,

jiKlcBk.jpg

again, after trying to adjust them a bit,

BzhKTpG.jpg

The almond looks really great! Still kind of busy though. I tried putting the sea blue 22 mm back in and tried to get it to look better, but it just didn't. I tried the navy blue.

C7Rr2f6.jpg

m5Y2rDT.jpg

That works surprisingly well actually.

Also, the dome on the WDS eyes are incredible, they're large but most importantly they have enough of a lensing effect that you can see the eye design from any direction. Here's a side photo,

AB6JRP5.jpg

You can still clearly see the white highlights on the far side of the eye! Actually that's one problem I had with the Lizanna eyes, from the side the eyes just looked completely black. The sparkly effect on the WDS eyes is also much better than I expected, but I really love the smooth, cool glow from Rin's original eyes,

25698610003_8d7bf503ab_z.jpg

Rin, profile by bodolza, on Flickr

Her original eyes are so close to being great, when the light's dim and and the pupils look darker, and the iris glows, they look so pretty. But in full light her eyes look so washed out, mainly because the pupils aren't dark enough.

Well I'm still looking, but so far I like the Senbonzakura eyes the best, followed by her original eyes (mostly), then the WDS navy and almond eyes. I'll have to sell some of these off at some point (・・')

Sorry for the huge post...

BeyondTime

The Navy Blue eyes are perfect in every respect except the blue is too dark for her. If they had those eyes in her blue or green they would be the winner.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

foo

Ya, the navy eyes worked well, but after a while they didn't feel right either. I tried the 24 mm eyes again and positioned them properly, they look much better this time!

27367925615_4d5d97c86f_z.jpg

Rin with WDS Type F eyes, Seablue, 24 mm by bodolza, on Flickr

I think it would look nicer if it was a more smooth blue like her original eyes though, rather than sparkly. I took this photo when the sun was almost gone (it's actually a 1/5 shutter speed at f/2) so I didn't have time to do something to make the light shine on her face better. I wanted to take a better photo later (today) but didn't.

foo

The "Rin L365-a07 wig" I ordered from forU arrived. It's nice! I feel a bit spoiled by the Crobi and Little Monica wigs I've been using, because these fibres aren't as nice as those. These are thicker and dry, rather than silky. It also has less volume. But the style of the wig is great! The wig cap isn't dyed either.

It took a while to find and separate the fibres of the wig to bring out the design. I've found this to be normal with wigs, where shorter bits of hair are completely enclosed & tangled with longer ones,

JMIzOkP.jpg

enJ5frL.jpg

After fishing everything out there's a lot more hair to work with,

ikMZFEK.jpg

Rin is still using the 24mm WDS eyes. I would have liked to take these photos with her default eyes but didn't feel like changing them. Anyway, here's how the wig looks after brushing it properly,

26906879954_08e4ae8262_z.jpg

forU's 凛 L365-a07 wig by bodolza, on Flickr

I LIKE IT The wig colour's more like sandy brown than a dark brown. This photo with the included twin tails does a good job showing the colour, I used a flash to light up the right side,

26906880204_f46205ef6e_z.jpg

forU's 凛 L365-a07 wig with included twin tails by bodolza, on Flickr

It's nice, I think it would look great if I can get the material for the hair ribbons, as well as how to tie them I think I like it better without the twin tails otherwise.

I'm a little sad about packing away the Crobi wig's she's been wearing up until now, but I prefer this wig's style (๑•́₋•̩̥̀๑)

About the WDS eyes, this photo does a good job of showing why I'm not happy with them,

26906881414_0082ddc3a7_z.jpg

Miku's eyes and Rin's WDS eyes by bodolza, on Flickr

Miku's eyes aren't as vibrant as Rin's original eyes, but they've got the same kind of lustre (Melty has a little bit, Sakuya has a tiny bit, Yaya has none that I've ever noticed )

Yukamina

The forU wig is gorgeous once you brush it out Ahh, Rin is so pretty, thanks for posting lots of pictures of her.

Elagabalus

It's SO cute! I have an open taobao order right now and I wonder if I should throw that wig in now. Thank you for sharing!

foo

@Yukamina, @Elagabalus, you're welcome (o^^o)

The Lizanna Dandelion eyes I ordered arrived, and they look great! I took a photo of the 22 mm sapphire next to the WDS 24 mm eyes I removed from Rin,

oRYro0S.jpg

It took me a while to figure out how to place them in her head because the curvature of Rin's sculpt doesn't really fit nicely with 22 mm eyes. Or 24 mm eyes. Also, trying to figure out how to centre them is confusing. If you have a sculpt like Yaya, it's easy,

17252845218_9cfdf53702.jpg

Like my hat? by bodolza, on Flickr

But with Rin there's so many ways to do it wrong Here's the zircon eyes,

7O909RQ.jpg

I don't have a proper photo from the front because the eyes were placed so badly it just looked weird. That photo was underexposed (I had to brighten it in post) and the eyes are too dark there. This is a crappier photo but it's properly exposed, and shows better what the zircon eyes look like,

2iFOC4b.jpg

Rin is just so adorable with brown eyes.

The sapphire eyes look amazing. They're a bit too fantasy-like for what I want for Rin, but they're the best eyes she's had yet. And after she had them in for a while I realized they actually look really great for Rin.

27067657003_aac21a4e80_c.jpg

Rin with Lizanna Dandelion in Sapphire by bodolza, on Flickr

27067656613_bc3f4e0fa6_c.jpg

Rin with Lizanna Dandelion in Sapphire (2) by bodolza, on Flickr

I actually didn't do any post processing with those photos, the lighting was just perfect. I seem to have run into a sharpening gremlin with Flickr's downscaling filter, which is making the eyes & bangs look a lot sharper than they should be (if I embed the smaller sizes here it looks a lot worse). You can try clicking the images to view them on Flickr.

I mentioned before that the Moonlight series eyes look completely black when you viewed them from the side, these are much better. If you look at it completely from the side, you get this,

KUJKzEI.jpg

actually that looks a little weird, but generally speaking as you look around her head you can see the design well. It's not as good as the amazing lens effect on the WDS eyes, but it looks fine.

I'm satisfied with these for now, which is good because I'm out of ideas of what else to try.

foo

I started this thread frustrated, but I'm pretty happy now ^^

I was happy with the eyes, but in order to complete Rin I need to tie ribbons on the twin tails. I got some polyester satin ribbon and tied them into little bows,

IMG_2250.jpg

The thing in the upper right corner is actually just a wig net. No need to be afraid.

It took me a while to figure out how to tie it like that without something to tie it onto. In the end it was really easy, I think I just folded the ribbon into two "rabbit ears," holding one in each hand, and looped one under the other in the simplest knot.

I put the tails of each ribbon under the top tooth of each side of the jaws of death,

IMG_2252.jpg

Also note that I've already cut off the tips of the ribbon in a V shape, and sealed the ends by bring it close to a candle flame (not touching the flame!). And uh, sorry for the disgusting Volks hair brush there, it looks dirty because it's really good at taking out dust from wigs.

And here she is ^^ Now it actually feels like Rin's arrived.

27813498172_44a458e006_c.jpg

Hi Rin! by bodolza, on Flickr

SylvanJade

I am so, SO glad that you posted all of these pictures. I think Rin is going to be my second dollfie, and this information is amazing to have.

I'm sorry to hear of all the frustrating wig and eye problems - but I think it was worth it to see her final picture (she is absolutely gorgeous).

I bought eyes from Lizanna for my Jayde, and I have to agree they are extremely vibrant and detailed. No flat look at all, so Lizanna will probably get all my money in the future for eyes.

If you do any further changes or updates, please post again! I truly loved the pictures.

Also, have you tried any wigs from Leekeworld on her? They have a great selection and I'm wobdering if the typical size will fit.

Thank you!

foo

Oh sorry, I should have replied to this sooner,

I'm sorry to hear of all the frustrating wig and eye problems - but I think it was worth it to see her final picture (she is absolutely gorgeous).

Thank you Rin is amazing in how much her character changes based on her eyes & wig.

Also, have you tried any wigs from Leekeworld on her? They have a great selection and I'm wobdering if the typical size will fit.

I have a couple Leekeworld wigs and TBH I'm not going to order from them again, but other people seem to have had better luck. Those wigs fit fine on Miku, so they'll probably fit Rin fine.

sklurk

it's always good to see the progression of trying to get the look you want. I've found that sometimes you luck out and hit on exactly what you want/need right away, and other times you have to keep trying until you get the right thing. I suppose that's where some of the fun comes in to see all the different varieties of looks you can get, it's not fun for the wallet though.

Felicia ended up with the exact wig I needed in 3 wigs and her 2nd set of eyes. Jenn is on her 8th or 9th wig lol still not right either. There might be an influx of purple wigs on the marketplace as a result after it's all said and done. For my 3rd, noah, she's on her first set of eyes and 2nd wig and she's looking really good for the moment. I think I could go further with the eyes but I'm satisfied for now.

Your Rin looks really good now. Having the right eyes seems to make everything come to life though.

foo
Your Rin looks really good now. Having the right eyes seems to make everything come to life though.

Thank you She's definitely my most expensive girl, in terms for how much I paid (purchased from Volks USA, horrible Canadian exchange rate ) and how much money I had to throw at her to see what sticks. But I really love how she's turned out.

Some newer photos from my Flickr,

27973253455_11c1dd301b_c.jpg

“Sorry I’m late, let’s go!” by bodolza, on Flickr

I tried recreating her outfit from the second episode of Prisma☆Illya.

28514148874_ee9e323cfb_c.jpg

Prisma☆Rin by bodolza, on Flickr

When I first put these twin tails + ribbons on, the pessimist in me was wondering if I really did finally get her look right, or if it was just that outfit, or fatigue from seeing so many weird Rins. Well the pessimism is gone now, I have to admit she really is that beautiful ♡^▽^♡

SylvanJade

Oooh, I love those picures of her! She looks perfect to me!

I think you really did get her just right.

Are you planning on doing any faceups, or just keeping her how she is? I had thought out doing a faceup on Jayde but I'm so used to her now, to change her I feel would be like making her a different girl (I suppose that's the point).

Btw - you mentioned you won't buy from leekeworld again. Is there a reason why? I just ordered from them so now you have me worried!

foo
Oooh, I love those picures of her! She looks perfect to me!

Thanks

Are you planning on doing any faceups, or just keeping her how she is?

Nah, I'll keep her like that. The only thing I'd want to do is make her lips more like the prototype which is much more subtle, but I'm happy with her.

Btw - you mentioned you won't buy from leekeworld again. Is there a reason why? I just ordered from them so now you have me worried!

Sorry f(^_^') basically I can't trust their product photos, and the quality is poor for the price (oh look, they have a sale right now...). This is kind of a rant, but it explains my experience with them.

I was looking for a blue-like wig to eventually use for Miku, and picked out Leeke's LR-15:

leeke-LR-015_E-a.jpgleeke-LR-015_E-b.jpg

This is what I got,

15657620975_d4d92f89b1.jpg

ಠ_ರೃ by bodolza, on Flickr

The volume/fiber density is really thin, I can't style and move the hair around without the wig cap becoming really visible. For example,

15471656547_9068b1a25c.jpg

You'd really have to tie it up to get it to look decent. I think the first photo I showed (the doll with the unobscured face) must be a small doll with a smaller wig. The fibers are too long to be styled like that on the 8-9", even with wig wax.

I didn't really write them off then (live & learn), I later decided to get one of their limited Hallowe'en wigs from 2014, W134:

leeke-w134-back.jpgleeke-w134.jpg

When it arrived, all the blue hair was just one giant curl instead of separated out like that. So I did it myself,

leeke-w134-back-yaya.jpg

Which was nice but it was kind of messy. It also has thin volume so if you move the fringe to the side, you can see the wig cap easily.

Anyway, I didn't really use it until Miku arrived. There's a photo I uploaded which I edited to clean up the worst of the stray fibers (and other stuff), but this is a crop of the original photo:

miku-leeke.jpg

After that I tried using Volks wig mist (which is like hair spray) to keep the ends of the curls locked together. It definitely improved things but it wears off over time; it's a pain to deal with because you need to keep spraying it. On the other hand, Little Monica and Crobi wigs come "pre-separated" (that shouldn't be a thing) and are locked with something that makes them easy to keep tidy. The fibres are also more stiff which prevents them from flying too. I don't have a clear example of Crobi like that, but this wig is over two years old now and is still perfectly easy to tame, no maintenance required.

I still hadn't given up on them yet because they have such a wide selection, but my main concerns were (a) curly is not an option (b) low density, easy to see wig caps © product photos are misleading. Later I was looking for a ponytail wig for Sakuya. I was considering LR-110

leeke-lr-110-b.jpgleeke-lr-110-a.jpg

That looks like something I want, but I was pretty sure I'd get a very different wig, and you'd easily see the wig cap. I went searching for any owners photos when I found this sale post showing the wig,

tumblr_ns9ic2Mz4n1ucv91po3_500.jpg

Yup, boring wig with the wig cap easily visible. I give up. If Leekeworld's wigs were cheaper I wouldn't mind so much, but they're the same price as Crobi & Little Monica.

Jezrah

Pardon my butting in, but I have that last ponytail wig myself. I'm not sure why that sales post looks so thin, I don't have that problem with mine at all. Though I bought mine second hand here so I knew it was one of the quality ones. I've read some people say they absolutely love Leeke wigs, and others have given up because they're hit and miss. My girl Ichigo wears that style wig, https://www.flickr.com/photos/jezrah_dollfiedreams/albums (under Ichigo). I trimmed the front tails short, and styled the kitty points in, so mine definitely has thickness.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

foo

Wow, it looks great on her! I know a lot of people are happy with them, but that's exactly what the problem is. I'm not going to spend $27 + shipping to gamble on a wig, I'd rather buy from somewhere else :/

Jezrah

That's definitely understandable, it's really frustrating to get a wig you're not happy with. Then, if it's even resellable, you'll have eaten the shipping costs. I've become wary of buying new wigs in general because of that.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

sklurk

weird, I have a few leeke wigs and haven't had too many serious issues with them. I have noticed though the lighter the fiber is, the thinner it will look. I did buy a bunch of extra loose fiber though for felicia's wig because I wanted to add some volume and some extra wefts in certain spots to get the look I wanted but the 2 brown wigs I bought are just fine in terms of thickness.

I've tried a couple of wavy and curly wigs and found that none of them that I've tried from any maker will look as clean as the photos provided. They're just a mess to keep looking nice, especially the longer they are.

foo

I find Crobi's photos to be accurate, actually. I can look at their product photos and compare it to the wig I have, and tell it's the same thing as in the photo. For example, for CRWML-93, their model's wearing it like this,

crobi-CRWML93-b.jpgcrobi-CRWML93-a.jpg

Which is exactly what it looks like on Yaya, except Yaya's head is too round. I could style it to look just like those photos by just moving it around (ie without wax), but in my Flickr stream these are similar,

28784426176_0c8e48a9c2.jpg 16397665025_7d490ca985.jpg

It's funny because when I first bought that wig, I complained somewhere in Photo Randoms that the 8-9" wig was too small and really hard to get on Yaya's head, and it looked nothing like the product photos. A few days later Crobi relabelled their 8-9" wigs as just 8", and they changed the product photos with more accurate ones (・・')

This wound up getting buried in the Rin & Takane news thread, but I'll post part of it here because it's relevant.

Crobi's photos have the wigs going like this, which is what they naturally want to do,

mQcouwM.jpg

On Crobi's model that extra swoosh goes across the forehead, not over the face like on Rin.

crobi-CRWL80-a.jpg

The reason of course is that DDs have very round heads (well Rin's head is more like Saturn), and Crobi's dolls have long/narrow heads (same problem with the 93 wig that Yaya wears above).

I was trying to use it like this on Rin,

i11GP2w.jpg

Because on the 8" wig of the same style you can pull the wig back a bit that swoosh can goes down the middle,

15102736503_488398e9cc_z.jpg

DSC_2041 by bodolza, on Flickr

But with Rin's fat head the 8" wig doesn't look as good.

25559716904_04c67724f0.jpg

Rin w/ Crobi CRWML-80 by bodolza, on Flickr

The difference with a curly wig that's easy to maintain (Crobi/Little Monica) versus others is that even when it's messy, I can use my fingers to groom the wig back into being tidy. The curly Leeke wig that Miku had was really nice and soft, but it required constant attention (well it never got perfectly tidy, just different levels of messy). The wig Rin has now is halfway there, I'm constantly brushing it whenever I handle Rin because the fibres are just so light and fluffy, but at the same time they've designed the wig so that it has bundles of curly things which tend to stay together, rather than just one giant curl of Miku's Leeke wig.

There's actually something naturally clumpy with the ForU wig's fibres, it just likes to bind to itself (like static or something, I have to keep fishing the bangs out like when I first got it if I'm not careful). With the Crobi/Little Monica wigs, a lot of the hair strands are bonded at the ends with something so that they stay together. If you were to use a comb and completely brush through, you'd break all the bonds (it'd take force, like you're breaking knots) and the wig would get a lot messier.

Back to Little Monica, this wig is crazy long but was no problem at all while travelling,

25044026753_7b682e266e.jpg

Good Morning by bodolza, on Flickr

25702416482_2ac4cc9db1.jpg

“Whaddya get?” by bodolza, on Flickr

Not as easy as a short or non-curly wig, but I never needed to use a brush either.

foo

Rin's eyes yellowed :(

35748764473_3d246629c2_c.jpg
Rin/Saber by bodolza, on Flickr

That was back in August of 2017. I only noticed it next March when I took photos outside because you couldn't tell easily with indoor lighting, but they got really yellow :( This is the day I found out, I edited the photo the best I could to make them clear,

39301239750_ec648b3005_z.jpg
Rin, gentle breeze by bodolza, on Flickr

The brown dandelion eyes I ordered at the same time yellowed too, so I guess it was that batch of plastic. The moonlight eyes I bought before were fine. Unfortunately Lizanna's closed so I had to go back on the hunt for new eyes.

@onion4@

I ended up going to Dolpa again that year, so I bought blue eyes that I thought would suit Rin. Unfortunately I didn't bring her old eyes for reference. Here's the loot (daylight wasn't doing me any favours here),

rin-eye-candidates.jpg

Before,

rin-yellowed-eyes.jpg

The eyes from @Reine_de_Beaute were really gorgeous

rin-eyes-reine_de_beaute.jpg

Unfortunately when they're in Rin it gives me chills,

rin-eyes-eeeek.jpg

This is the darker blue version,

rin-eyes-eeeek-darker-blue.jpg

It's hard to describe what they look like because they're reflective — it's the same problem with Lizanna eyes, when you look at photos you can't tell that they're like a glowing light source. This is with less light ambient light,

rin-eyes-eeeep.jpg

Well the Blue Rose Garden ones seemed they'd be less shocking (here they are again),

rin-eye-candidates.jpg

Type YA-03,

rin-eyes-brg-ya-03.jpg

Type YE-03,

rin-eyes-brg-ye-03.jpg

That's really not what I expected how they'd look.

It's frustrating because the Reine_de_beaute eyes were so pretty, they're just wrong,

rin-eyes-rdb-dark.jpg

rin-eyes-rdb-light.jpg 

Here's some Volks eyes I got from the crappy gacha machines at Dolpa,

rin-eyes-volks-green.jpg

rin-eyes-volks-yellow.jpg

Here's Miku's Deep Sea Girl eyes,

rin-deep-sea-girl.jpg

I decided to keep her with those until I found something better. The main problem here is that Rin's eye sockets are so large they only really work (at least for me) with eyes that are mainly dark. This is why the Blue Rose Garden eyes looked so unexpected when I got them in.

So, 2019. I really didn't expect to go back, but I went to Dolpa again ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Kyoto this time. I took the Lizanna eyes with me for reference. Literally the last booth I checked that sold eyes — they were at the corner of the dealer floor at booth #003 — was the only place I found that had suitable eyes for Rin. Their name is, uh, とる亭(仮)and they have an FC2 blog.

I bought two shades of blue and some red/brown eyes for something else.

rin-torutin-eyes.jpg

First, the deep blue eyes,

rin-torutin-deepblue.jpg

That looks really good. Unfortunately it's hard to tell from photos, but these eyes lacked contrast. When light's shining on them you can see the nice deep blue color, but most of the time (esp. at night) they just look like really dark voids.

Here's the light blue ones,

rin-torutin-lightblue.jpg

Ok these work. The color of the deep blue one is better but they're not metallic so they don't glow at all. The lighter blue makes these have more contrast, and they generally look good all the time.

RIN HAS EYES AGAIN!!! I can take photos of her again! And change her outfit, she's been in that forever because I just couldn't do anything with her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1