Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

sinclair

Keeping track of clothing

Gabriel

I just gave a quick answer a few years ago.  I didn't have all that much then.

If I have the original Volks bag, I tend to use it.  The exception is when the bag doesn't have a picture of the outfit on it.  In that case, I often lose track of which package is for which outfit.

It isn't a case of being super interested in original packaging.  It's just that it provides a useful storage purpose.  And when Volks puts images on the packaging, it also means I don't have to manually label things myself.  (Labeling is something I've neglected and need to get started doing.)

If I don't have the original packaging, large ziplock storage bags are the goto in order to keep outfit sets together.

Where do I keep all those bags?  I have a few of those stackable drawer things which Baldylox has in the picture above.  I have a couple like his tall stack.  I also have some larger ones about the width of his tubs with three drawers each.  All of them are absolutely full right now and I need another module.

And a lot of stuff is just laid out in the drawer with no bag or anything.  Most of the separates (non-fullsets) are like this.

I live in an apartment.  I don't have a lot of room either.  All my tabletop RPG books, boardgames, and toys take up space too.  It's a matter of space management.  I find playing Tetris right before reorganization projects helps.  

Riesz

I bought these sweater bins at Target and they're a great size for DD clothing, plus the pink lids are really cute.  I put each outfit into a gallon-size plastic bag and keep the bins roughly in themes - like kimonos in one, lolita dresses in one, etc.  I have the bins stacked on shelves and it's really easy to just pull out a certain bin and find what I want quickly.

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Riesz said:

I bought these sweater bins at Target and they're a great size for DD clothing, plus the pink lids are really cute.  I put each outfit into a gallon-size plastic bag and keep the bins roughly in themes - like kimonos in one, lolita dresses in one, etc.  I have the bins stacked on shelves and it's really easy to just pull out a certain bin and find what I want quickly.

I've gotten similar ones from Home Depot, but half the height of those. I try not to pile the clothing too deep, so it doesn't wrinkle. I use the deeper ones for boots & wigs, and much larger ones for things like Saber's Outfit.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Shailara

Not gonna lie, but a few times I've wanted some extra hobby money and thought to sell a Volks outfit, I then remember how I'll have to look up the outfit online to figure out all the pieces that came with the set, the sizing and all that yada, since I always throw the packaging away (I don't like the plastic they use XD), and I end up talking myself out of it and thus I've never sold a Volks outfit because of it (not that I regret it, I love Volks clothes <3).

For how I store them (and mind you, I have near 10 DDs and 20 BJDs), I got a big suitcase, used carton to divide the space in 4 and had a space for all the SD stuff, the MSD, the yo-SD and a space for dresses / coats. It won't help with keeping track at all, but if you have a lot of stuff (like moi) and want a sort of tidy way to keep everything together while also keeping them separate but also have enough space to find what you need without needing to look through 20 layers of clothes to find that shirt right at the bottom, it's probably one of the best ways I can think of :3 + It's easy to close up and put away somewhere. Of course, plastic containers work the same way, but I had a broken down suitcase so I decided that re-purposing it was better than throwing it away and buying plastic containers.

If you want to keep track of outfits and their items though, I suggest you take a photo of the doll wearing the outfit (or just use the stock photo), print it, write the name on it and put it in the bag it came with (or buy new zip-lock bags, since they're better than the ones Volks uses). That way you can have bags with all that the outfit contains to keep track + its name for resale purposes 😄

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Sord

I just store the big outfit pieces in large boxes, stacked on top of each other and the small parts and accessories in separate little boxes. I like to quickly see everything that I own, so I created a folder on my PC that has photos and information of all the outfits and accessories. 

UnderOrange

Oh geez. Everyone is so organized compared to me. I guess in my defence I didn't buy 99% of my doll clothes, so I never had manufacturer packaging to begin with, lol.

I've got cube shelves, and two of the cubes have fabric bins that are dedicated to doll clothes. I just... throw them in like a heathen.

If they get wrinkles I iron them, lol.

(Though, come to think of it, I might use some of these ideas once I start up an Etsy. Don't wanna sell something wrinkled after all!)

Edited by UnderOrange

nettle_tea
17 hours ago, Sord said:

I just store the big outfit pieces in large boxes, stacked on top of each other and the small parts and accessories in separate little boxes. I like to quickly see everything that I own, so I created a folder on my PC that has photos and information of all the outfits and accessories. 

The photo folder is a great idea! I don't have that many outfits yet so it's not hard to keep track of it all, but I've been thinking about how to organize everything as my collection grows. Having an easy way to keep track of outfits would be sooo handy later on... especially if, as others have mentioned, I ever want to think about reselling.

• Like 1

seraphicdolls

I like to mix and match outfits too! I started trying to keep a document of official outfits but haven't updated it - have to get back to that some day. Eventually, I want to hang some of the larger outfits in my closet, perhaps in bags and then on clips.