Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Pink-Yoshi

Tips for Travelling to Japan?

Pink-Yoshi

So my friend and I are in the early early stages for planning a 10 day trip to Tokyo and I have a few doll and non-doll questions. We are planning late October/early November 2017.

This is dumb, but how is the weather? I'm in Texas and it can get HOT, even in october.

Is buying things at Mandarake in person any different than any other store?

What kind of things does Volks have stocked at their store?

Any doll stores you recommend?

Any restaurants that we should for sure go to?

Just anywhere in general we should for sure go to? (Besides Disney).

Is taking pictures of dolls at shrines okay?

How much Japanese should we know before going?

I think that's all for now. Thank you ^.^

baldylox
So my friend and I are in the early early stages for planning a 10 day trip to Tokyo and I have a few doll and non-doll questions. We are planning late October/early November 2017.

Ohh nice! Congrats on that! You guys will have an awesome time there!

This is dumb, but how is the weather? I'm in Texas and it can get HOT, even in october.

Not dumb at all. When I went, I wondered the same thing. But seeing as how most of Japan is on a similar spot geographically as the US, their weather is very close to ours. Yeah, it was hot when I went at the end of September and early October but it was so similar to my home weather in SC, I didn't have any issues at all. Texas is probably a little warmer overall than Tokyo so it shouldn't be bad at all for heat at the time of year you're going there.

It's JUST like walking into a Walmart except smaller and EVERYTHING is cool and awesome. You just look at the goodies, pick what you want, take it to the front counter or have them pull it out of a locked case and give them money. Easy as pie! I bought my second girl Rei Ayanami from a Mandarake in Osaka and it was a wonderful experience.

Depends on which store you go to. Some are resin dolls only while others carry everything Volks makes including trains, models, gunpla, and DDs. The Akihabara and Ikebukuro stores are very well stocked with DD stuff so I'd make sure not to miss those. Hit as many as you can tho since there's like 5 or 6 in the Tokyo area. Also hit as many Mandarake stores as you can too, they always have loads of clothing and DD stuff at good prices and you may just find a hidden gem there!

I can't recall specific store names but going to Akihabara is a must. There's loads of smaller stores that will have doll related items. And as mentioned above, hit up Mandarake. Also, if you can find them, hit what they call "capsule" stores. These are basically miniature flea market stores with plastic capsules filled with wonderful items! Every capsule is rented by someone with things to sell and you can never tell what will be inside them. I found a huge amount of DD related food items and weapons in such stores so try and find them if you can.

Go to a McDonalds JUST so you can see the HUGE difference in theirs and the ones in the US. Just wait till you order a "large" drink. LOL Also, no free refills on drinks ANYWHERE so stock up on drinks from vending machines if you're like me and drink a lot during a meal.

As far as local foods go, go to a family style restaurant for cool changes to familiar dishes. Go to small hole in the wall bars, they love getting silly gaijin in there to fill up on cheap beers. Get takoyaki whenever you can, it's amazing. Same with Taiyaki, you won't believe how sweet bean paste can be. Ohhh! If you can find a conveyer belt sushi place, GO. It's fun, relatively cheap and you can stuff your face without guilt because everyone else there is doing the same thing. LOL

Go to the many different districts to check out shopping and such like Harajuku, Shinjuku ( and Kabuki-cho ), Shibuya ( you HAVE to go to the largest pedestrian crossing in the world at Shibuya station, use the Hachiko exit!). And of course you should hit places like the Tokyo Tower, Sky Tree, and other tourist type spots. Lastly, I really loved visiting the Imperial Residence right in the middle of Tokyo. It's gardens are beyond impressive and it's a nice getaway from all the large industrial buildings and city life even tho it's completely surrounded by it!

That depends on the shrine or what area you're in at one. Most often if it's okay to take photos of people, it's fine for the dolls. I didn't have any of my girls with me when I went back in 2010 but I did ask a friend in Osaka about it and that's what he told me. Just ask someone at the shrine you're at for permission and I'm sure you'll be fine.

The more you know the better but if you have no skills at all, you'll still be safe in the larger areas. Almost everywhere I went someone spoke English in one form or another. It was really quite awesome to see almost every street sign or menu written in both English and Japanese. Tokyo is VERY pro tourist and especially with people from the US so it's quite easy to get what you want or find your way around even if you know no Japanese at all. I knew very little when I went and it didn't hamper my visit one bit. People will actually WANT to try their hand at English by walking up to you and asking if you need help. If this happens, and it probably will, just be sure to tell them their English was very good even if it wasn't. It will make their day! Also, if you do ever get lost, just stand there and LOOK like you're lost. Within 5 minutes, someone will ask if you need help. It's the most amazing thing ever.

Oh, make a list of places to visit and then find them on a map. Make an easy to follow trip planner and things will go much smoother for you. Also, trains are your friend so use them often unless you're into walking A LOT. I enjoy walking so I walked quite a bit but trains are so efficient and easy to use there, you really should use them whenever you can. Just don't stay out past midnight when the last trains run or you'll have to pay for a very expensive taxi back to your hotel.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Monty

It's always difficult for me to know how much Japanese someone needs to know to be able to have a good time in Japan, because I've never had the experience of going to Japan without knowing Japanese;;

One time knowing Japanese does help would be to ask people at Mandarake for doll items because most of these are in locked cases and you need the shopkeeper to open it for you. Baldylox did describe it as being like walmart but having been to one walmart in my life when I went to the US last year I kinda have to disagree on that But if you mean you pick things up and take them to the counter then yes. (For stuff in the cases, I guess if you alerted one of the staff and said 'case' they'd know what you mean.)

I also want to recommend the Tokyo DollK store in Akiba! Most of the clothes they sell there are made to fit resins but a lot of SD size stuff will work for DDs. A lot of the clothes are also stuff from a lot of the korean/chinese bjd companies and some have a price markup, but because the aud/usd exchange rate sucks so bad (these sites use USD for some reason) it was actually cheaper for me to buy them in yen anyway, especially considering I didnt have to pay shipping.

http://dolk.jp/toukyou.php

There's a map there that you can hopefully use with your phone.The store actually has two floors, so be sure not to miss the second one as its kind of easy to. To access the second one you have to actually go outside the store and turn the corner and there's a second entrance past some vending machines with a staircase leading up.

Because most Volks stuff is bought online there isnt really -that- much in the store besides a lot of display dolls which are fun to look at (although you cant take photos D:) but there's usually a semi-decent selection of recent outfits and the standard models/body parts. Last time I went they also had some really nifty photo backdrops set up, and some guys had bought their DDs in to take photos of them there. (This being the only part of the store photos are allowed). Unfortunately i'm not sure about how the 'satsuei space' works and if you need to book it or can just waltz up and use it. But they're really beautiful sets and it would be a great photo souvenir!

The Volks store in akiba also has those exclusive d'coord DD models. I'm not sure how often they change up the ones they're selling, but that's always worth a look. Some of those are really cute.

As one more rec, this depends on what you as a person like but one of my favourtie things to do in Tokyo is going to Yoyogi park and look at the dogs. It's just a nice way to wind down at the end of a trip. Yoyogi park is a massive park you can get to from Harajuku station and it has an area in it for people to let their dogs run free. There are SO many different types of dogs on any given day - as well as many way bigger than you'd expect. Both times I've been there I met the same guy with his Borzoi. The park itself is really nice and relaxing to walk in regardless and if you're going in autumn you might see some pretty colours.

ramcoy

some clothes, eyes, part, body, hands etc…

if you go to dollpoint akihabara, don’t forget to buy volks animetic limited eyes (N & L type)

this is Volks N type

26381980890_d4e93e96ca_m.jpgUntitled by R.Rama Adhypoetra, on Flickr

or buy new doll, they have limited dollpoint doll type (around 55-65k jpy)

or buy DDH08/09

or buy everything…

there are some nice clothes and shoes (SD) in volks Harajuku

if you bring your doll (dollfie dream) don’t forget to take some photograph, ask permission to take photos on their set (you only have 30 minutes to take photo)

Akihabara = Dollks, Dollce, Mandarake, Jungle (2nd store)

RadioKaikan building (Akihabara) = Volks Dollpoint (8th floor) , Azone Showroom, Jungle (7th floor)

Ikebukuro = Dollyteria

must go : Mandarake Nakano

if you have time, go to Volks Yokohama

*Mandarake Ikebukuro only sell book stuf

KFC or McD or Gundam Café (in Diver City Odaiba)

Somewhere in in Tokyo station there is a restaurant that serves “Sambal ABC” (near Gundam Café)

When you go to Ikebukuro, there are some nice ramen/udon restaurant like Mutekiya Ramen in Ikebukuro or Marugame Udon…? (forget the name) in Sunshine City Ikebukuro

24643539110_efb70c6923_m.jpgUntitled by R.Rama Adhypoetra, on Flickr

Pablo in Harajuku (near Volks Harajuku)

25024932725_c0e2610907_m.jpgDSC00694 by R.Rama Adhypoetra, on Flickr

“Laksa” (forget the name) in Harajuku (across Pablo)

Shinkansen/Doraemon/Hello Kitty bento set in all JR station

22117417036_cfb1dee16d_m.jpgIMG_5893 by R.Rama Adhypoetra, on Flickr

Kebab Box in Harajuku

Daidokoroya (sushi) in Shibuya or any Kaiten Sushi or Kura Sushi

Chicken Karaage shop in Yodobashi Camera Akihabara (you can see McD across the street)

Go Go Curry in Akihabara

Any bento set or onigiri in convenience store

Tsukiji fish market (in early morning) to get various sushi

Some garden (forgot the name) near Tsukiji market

Tokyo Imperial Palace

Asakusa

Odaiba (Gundam)

24998680256_701f5982ec_m.jpgDSC00638 by R.Rama Adhypoetra, on Flickr

Shibuya crossing and Hachiko Statue then go to Tower Record (Shibuya) to see another Hachiko Statue

24343361324_cd67b45066_m.jpgUntitled by R.Rama Adhypoetra, on Flickr

SCANDAL Kitty Shop in Shibuya (if you like SCANDAL band)

Yodobashi Camera in Akhibara

Evangelion Shop in Ikebukuro

Giant Statue in Kamakura

Kawagoe (nice place to take doll photograph)

If you have more time…

Go to Gotemba premium factory outlet (you can see mount Fuji)

26152362522_7024607436_m.jpg11224574_10153326017903525_4921992277954494266_n by R.Rama Adhypoetra, on Flickr

If you decide to go to Gotemba, in Mishima Station there are some (very) delicious ramen shop

I don’t know…

I think its ok

I only know “arigato”

Don’t ever ask/mention/said “bowl”

Trust your google translate and google maps

get your self pocket wifi for internet (google maps for route and train schedule)

for train, buy JR Tokunai (750yen) and buy Pasmo/Suica card

JR Tokunai = 1 day JR Tokyo Pass

Pink-Yoshi

Woah, so much information thank you! I'll remember this for when we really really start planning.

I've gotten a few books to start learning Japanese with, I can count to 10 no problem. I can say smaller phrases too, not good but its a start . My problem will probably be reading, but it good to hear signs do have English written too. But thank you again everyone!

SakuraSylph

The weather will be nice temperature-wise in October and November. You're well into fall at that point so the summer heat is gone, and it doesn't get wintery cold until late December. If you're there on Halloween night you can go to places with a lot of people like Shibuya or Roppongi just to watch people in costume. It's comfortable cosplay weather.

Not really different. You browse, take anything you find up to the clearly-marked cashier, pay, and they wrap it up all nice for you in a taped bag. You can pay with either cash or credit at any Mandarake, and at most stores in the Tokyo area.

NOTE: Almost every time you pay with a credit card in Japan, at any store, the cashier will ask you a question. Don't worry! Just remember that the correct answer is "ONE". You can hold up a finger, and they will know. (what they actually ask is what charge schedule you want to use, which is a feature of Japanese credit cards. For US cards, the correct answer is always "ikkatsu-harai" (lump sum payment), but you can just say "one" or hold up a finger and they'll get what you mean.)

Many things in Mandarake are locked up inside display cases. All the Mandarake staff wear red aprons and are easy to identify. To buy something in one of these cases, just find a staff member and say "showcase" (in English, with Japanese accent if you want) and motion for the person to follow you. They'll understand, and you can show them exactly what you want from there by pointing. The Mandarake staff is used to working with tourists who have limited Japanese, so don't let that stop you.

As others have said, it depends on which Volks store you go to. For doll items, go to Dollpoint on 8F Radio Kaikan in Akihabara (DD) and Tenshi no Mado in Harajuku (SD). The other Volks stores will have doll items too, just less, so the others are more missable if you run out of time in your trip. In general, you can expect DD standard models, DD body parts, wigs, tools, books, accessories, some outfits, and a couple photo-space dioramas you can photograph your own dolls in if you bring them.

It's going to sound pedestrian, but seriously go to McDonalds and KFC at least once each. It's amazing to see just HOW MUCH better the food tastes than the same places in the 'States.

Be sure to try a "melon soda" as your drink at least once. It's a green melon-flavored soft drink that you can only get in Japan as far as I know. You can get it at most places that offer sodas; it's pretty standard. I love this and always buy it. Try it early in your stay, so that if you like it, you can keep getting it as long as you're in Japan.

Other than that, there's not any specific must-do restaurants. Just categories. You might want to find a ramen place, or a soba/udon place, or CoCo Curry House, or MOS Burger, or a Maid Cafe, or a Cat Cafe, or.....

This is a loaded question because Japan is so awesome that it's too easy to list too many places. I think you'll need to decide what it is you want to see.. Cultural stuff like Meiji shrine and Asakusa? Fashion like Harajuku and the Shinjuku OIOI (Marui) department stores? Lots of stuff!

I'm going to go off the beaten path and say that my must-see suggestion is an accessory shop. Alice on Wednesday. If you like wonderland even a little, this shop is not to be missed.

Yes, it's fine, outside on the grounds. You can take pictures there. They don't allow pictures inside the buildings at all though (doll or otherwise), and there will be signs to that effect.

Knowing the language can only help you, but in terms of bare minimum to go it's very low. Many signs and menus will be in English already, and I see many tourists get by with just pointing, "kudasai", and "arigatou gozaimasu".

Since you have some time before your trip, the biggest bang for your study-time buck in terms of being a tourist is going to be *learning to read the katakana alphabet*. All the foreign words are written in this character set, so if you can read it you'll be reading something familiar to you. For example メロン・ソーダ -> meron so-da -> melon soda, that I mentioned above. This will help you get furthest on a short trip.

SakuraSylph

Monty

Really want to second the melon soda thing, it's one of my favourite drinks! I remember being wary to try it for a while because the bright green made it resemble toilet cleaner to me but I'm so glad I did. Melon soda aside, Japan seems to have a 'thing' for drinks, by which I mean they are constantly bringing out new and sometimes bizarre drink flavours that only seem to last a few months at the most (they tend to be limited edition). One of my favourite drinks I ever had was Suntory chocolate lemonade, which the sadly only sold in 2009 and then never ever again as far as I know, and the weirdest limited drink I saw was salted watermellon pepsi (it was dark red). It'd be fun to see what you encounter, so have a look at the drink sections in the convenience store and see what catches your eye. (also if you ever watch tv in the hotel room, it always seems like a good deal of the commercials are for drinks...)

I notice people from the US often tend to talk about how amazing Japanese Mcdonalds is, which kinda confused me at first. tbh Japanese mcdonalds actually tastes the exact same as Australian mcdonalds, although I suspect it could be because they import our beef (not 100% sure on that, just a theory). As far as I know Japan hasnt put in the build your own gourmet burger thing that we have, although I'm not even sure if the US has that.

What I like about jp mcdonalds is that they have a lot of seasonal things they only sell at certain times of the year (ie the sakura teritama burger in spring), although I'm not sure if you'll be there for anything in particular.

mogaman39

Taking notes... very useful recommendations. I'm going to Tokyo too in september. I'm going to visit the battleship Mikasa in Yokosuka, Mount Fuji, etc.

Kira343

Akihabara = Dollks, Dollce, Mandarake, Jungle (2nd store)

RadioKaikan building (Akihabara) = Volks Dollpoint (8th floor) , Azone Showroom, Jungle (7th floor)

Ikebukuro = Dollyteria

must go : Mandarake Nakano

if you have time, go to Volks Yokohama

*Mandarake Ikebukuro only sell book stuf

Do those stores sell dolls or just accessories? I have a relative going to Japan in the fall and they offered to bring me back a doll . In particular, I really want a Dollce ones but I find the website incredibly confusing.