Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Waffles

Would it be possible to open eyeholes on an azone 50 doll?

Waffles

I'm interested in an azone 50 doll but I want her to have open eyeholes. She doesn't have a head cap but would it be possible to make one and give her open eye holes?

K-2

Absolutely it's possible. Making the head cap like a conventional vinyl head cap that snaps in place would be the tricky part. Although as long as what ever hole you cut in the top of the head is covered by the wig (and not too big so the wig droops in!) it will be fine. Be careful of your own fingers. Keep them behind the cutting direction of the knife so if you slip you're not headed in the direction of your fingers or body!

For cutting eyeholes use a new, sharp blade in your hobby knife and go slowly. The vinyl can vary in thickness so it may cut easily in some parts and have more resistance in others. If you cut too far there's no going back (except buying a replacement head). Some people start with a smaller hole in the center of the eye and work slowly outward, shaving off a little at a time.

MVSig.jpg

Poofiemus

Weirdly, even though my Azone 50 Akemi Homura has painted eyes, she has a working headcap. @_@ Maybe it had something to do with making it easier to pull it from the mold? :/

Regardless, if you're fairly clean and careful with how you cut the head open, then you could probably sand the rough edges off, and then hold the cap in place with eye putty/poster tack. I do that with a resin head where I've been too lazy to glue the magnets in.

K-2's got it right on cutting the eyeholes. You could probably look at some tutorials meant for DD closed eyed heads, like this one: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4098

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

nanika

If I'm remembering correctly, the Takao Azone azo2 had a working headcap too. It came off when I was removing her head.

If you're going with a completely new faceup, you could also buy an Obitsu head with open eye holes. http://www.obitsushop.com/SHOP/7631/7651/list.html

Waffles
Absolutely it's possible. Making the head cap like a conventional vinyl head cap that snaps in place would be the tricky part. Although as long as what ever hole you cut in the top of the head is covered by the wig (and not too big so the wig droops in!) it will be fine. Be careful of your own fingers. Keep them behind the cutting direction of the knife so if you slip you're not headed in the direction of your fingers or body!

For cutting eyeholes use a new, sharp blade in your hobby knife and go slowly. The vinyl can vary in thickness so it may cut easily in some parts and have more resistance in others. If you cut too far there's no going back (except buying a replacement head). Some people start with a smaller hole in the center of the eye and work slowly outward, shaving off a little at a time.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea as too how to make the head cap that snaps in place?

K-2
Do you have any idea as too how to make the head cap that snaps in place?

I'd start by cannibalizing a head cap and capture ring from another head, but that's a lot of work you don't need to do unless you're planning on having a bald character.

MVSig.jpg

Waffles
Weirdly, even though my Azone 50 Akemi Homura has painted eyes, she has a working headcap. @_@ Maybe it had something to do with making it easier to pull it from the mold? :/

Regardless, if you're fairly clean and careful with how you cut the head open, then you could probably sand the rough edges off, and then hold the cap in place with eye putty/poster tack. I do that with a resin head where I've been too lazy to glue the magnets in.

K-2's got it right on cutting the eyeholes. You could probably look at some tutorials meant for DD closed eyed heads, like this one: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4098

I noticed some do and some don't. I'm interested in alice and I believe she doesn't have one. T^T. Thanks for the advice tho.

Edited by Guest

Waffles
If I'm remembering correctly, the Takao Azone azo2 had a working headcap too. It came off when I was removing her head.

If you're going with a completely new faceup, you could also buy an Obitsu head with open eye holes. http://www.obitsushop.com/SHOP/7631/7651/list.html

Some do and some don't T^T. I think the one I want doesn't have one. I'll consider that but I'm worried about leaving some poor girl head capless (^^;;. Unless you mean getting a new head, then maybe. But how should I say it, my heart is set on Alice.

Edited by Guest

Waffles
Do you have any idea as too how to make the head cap that snaps in place?

I'd start by cannibalizing a head cap and capture ring from another head, but that's a lot of work you don't need to do unless you're planning on having a bald character.

Could you explain what cannibalizing and capturing a ring means? Sorry I'm a newb ^^;;. Thankyou for the help, tho and thanks to everyone else that replied too.

elianti

Hmm maybe you can try installing magnets in the headcap after cutting one out? I tried doing something similar to the tutorial in

with an old Obitsu 55cm male head, which also didn't come with a removable headcap. It didn't work so well for me, though that's my fault. The magnets I got were way too weak (and bulky) to keep it together securely, and overall it didn't look very nice with my haphazard cutting and use of too much epoxy putty. ^^"" I guess with a wig on it wouldn't matter as much.

The main issue for an Azone head in my opinion would be that the vinyl is pretty soft? At least my happiness clover Mahiro head is a lot softer than some of the older Obitsu heads. I'm not sure if the putty would stick on more flexible materials very well. Even on the male head, it didn't take too much force to rip out the putty+magnet cleanly off the inside of the head.

Waffles
Hmm maybe you can try installing magnets in the headcap after cutting one out? I tried doing something similar to the tutorial in
with an old Obitsu 55cm male head, which also didn't come with a removable headcap. It didn't work so well for me, though that's my fault. The magnets I got were way too weak (and bulky) to keep it together securely, and overall it didn't look very nice with my haphazard cutting and use of too much epoxy putty. ^^"" I guess with a wig on it wouldn't matter as much.

The main issue for an Azone head in my opinion would be that the vinyl is pretty soft? At least my happiness clover Mahiro head is a lot softer than some of the older Obitsu heads. I'm not sure if the putty would stick on more flexible materials very well. Even on the male head, it didn't take too much force to rip out the putty+magnet cleanly off the inside of the head.

Oh ok thankyou very much. ^^

K-2

I don't have any Azone heads so I don't know for certain but don't all the Azone heads on 48/50cm bodies have regular removable head caps? How would you check to see if the neck piece was properly set without being able to look inside the head or get in there to adjust it?

MVSig.jpg

elianti
I don't have any Azone heads so I don't know for certain but don't all the Azone heads on 48/50cm bodies have regular removable head caps? How would you check to see if the neck piece was properly set without being able to look inside the head or get in there to adjust it?

I can't speak for all of the Azone heads, but my Mahiro at least didn't come with a headcap. Perhaps Azone originals don't have one and licensed character dolls do? Before getting her I assumed she had one and I'd be able to use her neck piece on a different head, but it's pretty much stuck in there ^^;;; It does seem to be placed correctly though.

Waffles

I don't know about how they would check but I do know that some come with headcaps and others don't. I believe the majority of the original 50cm Azones don't have one. The only original doll that I know of that has one is Nanaka.

Waffles

I can't speak for all of the Azone heads, but my Mahiro at least didn't come with a headcap. Perhaps Azone originals don't have one and licensed character dolls do? Before getting her I assumed she had one and I'd be able to use her neck piece on a different head, but it's pretty much stuck in there ^^;;; It does seem to be placed correctly though.

Yup I noticed that. Maybe it's because they started out as rooted hair heads? The one I want is the new Alice and she doesn't have a headcap ,too, but she does have quite the big nogin lol.

K-2

With the relative difficulty in properly seating the 48/50cm neck piece, I really wonder how they do it (or if they do it at all). Just jamming the neck piece into the head does not properly lock the neck piece to the head. You really need to get in there to get the locking collar installed correctly.

For those unfamiliar with the 48/50cm neck piece (aka new style neck piece), here's a tutorial I did shortly after it was introduced by Obitsu.

http://www.dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=66

As you can see, seating the neck piece properly is a little more involved than just jamming it into the neck hole.

013.jpg

The neck piece on the left is completely attached, while the one on the right is not. On the right you can see how the vinyl edges of the neck hole of the head are spread around the locking collar and not underneath it. This is what happens when you just push the neck piece into the head. To be properly and completely attached, the sides of the neck hole must be between the locking collar and the neck piece base as in the one on the left.

Since Azone gets their bodies and heads from Obitsu the bodies probably come with the heads installed. I've seen photos of early 48cms at the Obitsu factory, which at the time were only on Azone bodies. So if Obitsu has some secret method of installing the neck piece without a head cap/opening I'd love to know what it is.

MVSig.jpg

Waffles
With the relative difficulty in properly seating the 48/50cm neck piece, I really wonder how they do it (or if they do it at all). Just jamming the neck piece into the head does not properly lock the neck piece to the head. You really need to get in there to get the locking collar installed correctly.

For those unfamiliar with the 48/50cm neck piece (aka new style neck piece), here's a tutorial I did shortly after it was introduced by Obitsu.

http://www.dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=66

As you can see, seating the neck piece properly is a little more involved than just jamming it into the neck hole.

013.jpg

The neck piece on the left is completely attached, while the one on the right is not. On the right you can see how the vinyl edges of the neck hole of the head are spread around the locking collar and not underneath it. This is what happens when you just push the neck piece into the head. To be properly and completely attached, the sides of the neck hole must be between the locking collar and the neck piece base as in the one on the left.

Since Azone gets their bodies and heads from Obitsu the bodies probably come with the heads installed. I've seen photos of early 48cms at the Obitsu factory, which at the time were only on Azone bodies. So if Obitsu has some secret method of installing the neck piece without a head cap/opening I'd love to know what it is.

I don't know mich about that but I remember while reading mizya's blog post about Alice, she posted a picture of one of the papers in the box. The picture showed how to take out the neck piece and how to put the head on but it was in japanese. Here's the link to the picture.

http://www.eternalwinter.org/azone/arrival/hisame_arrival012.jpg

K-2
I don't know much about that but I remember while reading mizya's blog post about Alice, she posted a picture of one of the papers in the box. The picture showed how to take out the neck piece and how to put the head on but it was in Japanese. Here's the link to the picture.

In picture 5 of your link it looks like the head has a larger round hole, not the standard slot shaped hole most other Obitsu products have. So maybe you do just jam the head on the neck piece and rely on friction to hold the head on and not the clamping action of the neck piece.

MVSig.jpg

Waffles
I don't know much about that but I remember while reading mizya's blog post about Alice, she posted a picture of one of the papers in the box. The picture showed how to take out the neck piece and how to put the head on but it was in Japanese. Here's the link to the picture.

In picture 5 of your link it looks like the head has a larger round hole, not the standard slot shaped hole most other Obitsu products have. So maybe you do just jam the head on the neck piece and rely on friction to hold the head on and not the clamping action of the neck piece.

That would make sense. If they just left it like regular heads then customers would get upset so that's a good idea. I guess the Hybrid Active Figure dolls have a smaller neck hole.

yokha

Its really possible to open their eyehole as long they got remove able head cap, I opened my azone siggy head and my vmf50 risa eye hole since they has painted eyes.

Heres my azone siggy

15498780501_d25f0a181b_c.jpg1 by Yokha, on Flickr

15752256601_138dec15f9_c.jpgazon50 siggy by Yokha, on Flickr

And risa (now Urd)

24356153099_514354887c_c.jpgURD by Yokha, on Flickr

• Like 2

Cauldroness

Wow your Siggy is GORGEOUS!!!

And your Belldandy, too, I think she's better than Volks' version!

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

Waffles

Oh my gosh your girls are absolutely gorgeous. Now I'm absolutely certain I need a Sigui in my life. I've seen your Bellandy before and I must say I find her better than the volks one. You're Urd is also a beauty and now I'm contemplating on whether or not I should get a vmf50. I'll probably cave in, in the end.

K-2
now I'm contemplating on whether or not I should get a vmf50. I'll probably cave in, in the end.

You should take a peek at my 50cm bust chart. It shows most of the VMF/AP/RAP 48cm and 50cm bodies, now including the Azo2 body with the G and I busts. Seeing what's available together might help you decide.

MVBustChart02.jpg

The full size version can be found here.

MVSig.jpg

Waffles
now I'm contemplating on whether or not I should get a vmf50. I'll probably cave in, in the end.

You should take a peek at my 50cm bust chart. It shows most of the VMF/AP/RAP 48cm and 50cm bodies, now including the Azo2 body with the G and I busts. Seeing what's available together might help you decide.

MVBustChart02.jpg

The full size version can be found here.

Oh my thankyou^^. You are like the master of obitsus/vmf50s lol. I'm really digging the f type and g type bodies. I have a tan skinned oc that is quite voluptuous and was considering getting a Kanu for her but she's like really expensive (・・;) but I think that g type body could work for her. I actually prefer the vmf50 tan to the Smartdoll one because they seem to have a more golden tan. I like a more golden tan especially since I have more of a golden tan. Thanks again for the chart it really helped me.

Waffles

Also @Yokha, what eye size does your Siggy use and did she come with eye sockets? Not open eyes but that pocket like thing around the inside of the eyehole to hold the eyes better. Sorry if I'm confusing