Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
SylvanJade

DIY Headband Questions

SylvanJade

Hello everyone,

I'm starting to dive off the deep in into sewing and DIY stuff. My question is about headbands - the ones that can hold cat ears. (Jayde's first Halloween costume!)

Does anyone have a good tutorial for this? What type of item or thing can make a pretty solid band for the ears to attach to?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

medalis

I've seen tutorials for making your own mini-headband from Dollar-Store headbands, but that requires a lot of boiling and sculpting and honestly doesn't seem like it'd be worth it.

Coolcat sells headbands for various sizes and doll types. No idea on how good they are, but they look nice and thick and sturdy.

SylvanJade

Wow, thank you so much for this - this is perfect!

Eustia
I've seen tutorials for making your own mini-headband from Dollar-Store headbands, but that requires a lot of boiling and sculpting and honestly doesn't seem like it'd be worth it.

Coolcat sells headbands for various sizes and doll types. No idea on how good they are, but they look nice and thick and sturdy.

I have about a dozen of them. CoolCat seem to throw one in as a freebie with every order. Only tried one once and didn't really like it, but I didn't give it much of a go, or on different girls. So can't really say how it looks or anything.

jadepixel
I saw a tutorial in a doll magazine for making headbands by cutting up plastic beverage bottles and covering the plastic bands in fabric.

The bottle method works ok, or use ribbon ties or elastic to secure a fabric headband. If you want to find Japanese tutorials search for Katyusha as they call it.

Weltfremd

I have about a dozen of them. CoolCat seem to throw one in as a freebie with every order. Only tried one once and didn't really like it, but I didn't give it much of a go, or on different girls. So can't really say how it looks or anything.

Yup, I got one with every order.

It helped me make my Azone Headbands better. Azone has even CHEAPER headbands than CoolCat and my Gothic Lolita Headdresses looked ugly.

Anna-neko

so this might be an odd addition... but I'm cheap - floral wire

Or specifically the cheap yet surprisingly strong stuff inside fake flower stems. Cut off the piece long enuff, bend, cover in tape. Can fashion the ears base out of same (fuzzy pipecleaners also work well! We used to make human-sized catears for cosplay all the time from them as base)

sorta fuzzy proof of concept of headband

29354681271_cc3f73a997_z.jpg

Talolili
so this might be an odd addition... but I'm cheap - floral wire

Or specifically the cheap yet surprisingly strong stuff inside fake flower stems. Cut off the piece long enuff, bend, cover in tape. Can fashion the ears base out of same (fuzzy pipecleaners also work well! We used to make human-sized catears for cosplay all the time from them as base)

sorta fuzzy proof of concept of headband

29354681271_cc3f73a997_z.jpg

That is adorable! I have to try this sometime.

Poofiemus

For cat ears specifically, you may want to forgo a headband altogether, and just do magnets--one set under the wig, held in place with tape, and the other set in the ears.

The floral wire headbands are adorable though! I have an urge to make like, 30 of those for Abby now.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Anna-neko

@Poofie & Talolili: thanx!

My original plan for flower crowns was sorta 'weave' them together like one would with real flowers...

Anyone who ever spent time around in me a park can testify: Anna will drop everything & make endless dandelions into flower crowns!

8712215859_a47ce021ee.jpg

flower-crown in progress by Anna, on Flickr

_ahem_ but plastic just doesn't work that way, and one had to improvise! Thus learned floral wire makes perfect headbands (AND floral tape only sticks to itself so it very useful in getting many many flowers on w/out worrying about dripping glue or sticky edges messing up girl's wig)

would anyone want a lil tutorial or anything? I get super carried away on these things!

14590591112_cfff89c885.jpg

Poofiemus

I would love a tutorial! Abby needs like, a million of these. . . and then I'll stick them on Homura just for the lulz.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.