Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

JChiibs

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow.

JChiibs

29065294932_548da4cbac_z.jpg

Ellie: "There you are Eddie!" *gives him a hug, squeezing with most of her might*

Eddie: *grunts from the strong hug* "Hey sis, what's wrong?"

Ellie: *sounds tearful* "I just had a bad dream last night that you were missing for a really long time. No matter where I looked I couldn't find you. No one knew who you were."

Eddie: "I've been here the whole time."

Ellie: "What exactly happened to your hair?"

Eddie: "I told Dad that it was too hot, so he cut it like his."

29170873465_d5d4aa11a0_z.jpg

Daisy: "Cousin Eddie! I've found you!"

Eddie: "Why does everyone think I went somewhere? You guys are acting like I went to Germany or something."

Ellie: *doesn't want to let go of her little brother*

Daisy: "You get to be the jam..."

28883273600_edb3e12d7a_z.jpg

Daisy: "The best filling for a snuggle sandwich!" *crashes into her cousins*

Ellie: "Oof! Daisy, you're heavy."

Eddie: "I think I'm fall-"

29170439065_d766ae7098_z.jpg

Eddie: "-ing!"

Ellie: "Ouch..."

Daisy: "OOPS!"

29170383915_70bb24e0da_z.jpg

Daisy: "Eddie! There's something different about you, isn't there?"

Ellie: *brushes off her skirt and puts herself back into order*

Eddie: "Yeah, it's-"

28883014420_b01f1f45a9_z.jpg

Daisy: "Wait! Wait! Don't tell me... I can figure this out... I have expert sleuthing skills."

28551365673_3506fc1c0f_z.jpg

Daisy: "Ah HA! I've got it! You've got spiffy new pants!"

Eddie: "No, I just found these in the laundry."

Ellie: *mumbles* "Tama's not going to be happy that you are wearing his pants again..."

29064354192_855fe0c519_z.jpg

Eddie: "Dad cut my hair."

Daisy: "Your hair? I guess maybe it looks different. A little. What did you look like yesterday..."

Ellie: *reaches to pull up a dandelion*

Daisy: "Think, think, think..." *bonks herself on the head*

29170138165_f0f6e555b0_z.jpg

Daisy: "Oh yes, you looked like this!"

I'm nearly in tears since I really believed this day would never come, that both of the Hunter children would be home together. Three years ago I got Ellie with the full intention to make Eddie, but her adorableness won me over completely. Never could I have barely imagined owning one Yui, let alone two. It was a dream that I never dared to have, of wanting two of the same older limited girls. I truly thought it was impossible. Fate is generally not that kind to me. Even before the first mention of Eddie I thought that Yui was really cute but pretty quickly wrote her off my list because even for me and everything I go out of my way to do for the DD we have, I just couldn't ever imagine it happening. (The Mai sculpt is another one that falls into that category, no matter how badly I want her.) So I really only know to thank Katnaper, Xeby, and Komori from the bottom of my heart. I know you guys probably think you didn't do anything all that great, but I will forever be truly grateful. Words are just failing me right now to adequately express how I feel.

And now here I am, able to take pics of a family I couldn't imagine. I'm pretty sure Katnaper had a part to do with me finding Daisy, and I know Baldylox gave me a swift kick in the rear to take the chance of talking with her seller for some different terms. Something I wouldn't have had the guts to do otherwise.

This is why I love the hobby so much and why I keep coming back, despite how long I've been away dealing with personal and health issues. It's all of my friends here on the forums, mentioned or not. I really love you guys and you have enriched my life more than I can say.

Every Christmas since Ellie arrived I've been meaning to do her intro story. And every year it didn't work. Last year I was bound and determined to do it and one of the few things that got in the way was Ellie quietly said, "But Eddie's not here." Every time she would quietly mention him I wanted to cry. I was very painfully aware of the Eddie sized hole that remained empty. So this year I will finally be able to do their intro story, and do it right. So for all intents and purposes, Eddie arrived with Ellie and has been here. I think I have to be grateful to Ellie that she was stubborn enough to not be turned into a boy, because without her, Eddie would be a rather different personality, but she has managed to mellow him out. Even Ralph wouldn't be the same without her.

~Sister Kyoya

Edited by Guest

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

Ie-Aster

They make adorable siblings!

I really like Eddie's outfit, too. The little crease down the pants is a great detail.

Also, your sets are so elaborate, they're like the ones I see photos of from the Volks stores O_O I'm really impressed by that!

At home: Mei (DDP Lucy custom), Aku (DDB Takane custom)

En route: L. (DD Matoi)

JChiibs

When I originally got Ellie and Daisy I was really surprised how similar they looked. I never intended them to be family but seeing them together it just seemed weird not to. Eddie's outfit is a Volks set that was given to Tama many years ago as a gift from a forum member. I haven't had a chance yet to make Eddie his own clothes because in summer my sewing room is super hot and I very quickly get dangerously sick from the heat.

Thank you SO much about your comment about the set. My sister and I have been working on them weekly for months. There is a lot more we have done and still working on for some upcoming photo stories. For a long time I was highly envious of the Volks sets, so your comment makes me really happy. I have a pretty severe sun allergy but it was driving me crazy not being able to have the kiddos outside, especially Rainie who is rarely indoors so she's hardly been in my photo stories despite that she's been here since the beginning (in various forms.) The only problem with this stage is that I currently only have one but I'm hoping to get another (and slightly larger) one made within the next 6 months. That way I can have a perminant outdoor set and an indoor one without having to entirely clear off one to use the other. Besides, my husband and I have so many DD now that this stage is too small! The floor is 3 feet by 8 feet. (My sig is so woefully out of date. I feel a bit lost on how to cram everyone into it now. LOL!)

~Sister Kyoya

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

chikemuri

Awww this was such a sweet story The clothes look so well made and your dolls are so cute. It's nice to see a happy ending.

JChiibs

Thank you! This is about as normal as my family gets. It's so normal it's almost weird to me. We have so many oddball characters that having Ellie & Eddie who are just country children, and Eddie just being a regular boy, sometimes I get a bit afraid that they won't stand out enough. Even Daisy is something else all together, literally. I'm really looking forward to Halloween where I can finally talk about who everyone is, some of them being what they are, and lay out all the cards on the table that I've been developing since I started the hobby over 4 years ago. On the other hand, the halloween story is going to be a beast to do. So much going on in the middle of reality being bent, shifted, and rearranged. I will be so proud if I can pull it off.

Happy ending? Not by a long shot. It's just the beginning! If I haven't lost count or goofed it up, Eddie is #20 in our DD collection. I really love having so many kiddos arround, but it sure makes storytelling loads more complicated now, and more than a little daunting.

Ellie & Daisy's clothes were made by me (except Ellie's shoes.) Ellie's shirt and matching underskirt are my designs custom printed through Spoonflower. I really love sewing and take a lot of pride in my work. One of the bonus' of collecting for me is that I'm able to do all sorts of outfits and costumes for them that I wouldn't be ablle to make otherwise. Reality is just a lot less interesting.

~Sister Kyoya

Monty

Ditto about the sets.

The extra attention to detail and the life SK puts into her kiddos is a huge inspiration to me, its what made me want to try my own photo stories. ...although I'm only posting them in the smartdoll subforum at the moment, I still look forward to the day I can make posts in the DD photo story forum.

JChiibs

Thank you! I'll be happy to show off more of the set once I get some non-DD life stuff done the next few days. Sis and I have been working on set stuff for nearly a year now (the main Halloween set is nearly done after we started it last year.) I'm excited when I'll have a chance to show off the flower boxes in more detail. Everything they are made from came from Dollar Tree, and I had to make each one of the planks individually. Not wanting to repeat that again any time soon.

I'm just surprised that no one's mentioned Eddie's hair. I remembered this wig after I started taking the pics. I've tried messing with it before but it would not behave to the point where I nearly threw it accross the room in frustration. I put it on Eddie and within 30 seconds it look like it does in the pic. It wasn't the style I was expecting for him especially when it reminds me of the Dad's hair from ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas cartoon from '74. As dopey as it looks, he's stuck with it.

Ellie is currently hugging Eddie with a death grip, still afraid he's going to disappear. I really knew I shouldn't have named the photo story what I did. I knew I'd regret it. Slightly over 24 hours after Eddie got here and the next DD came bouncing in. So because of him my mind keeps telling me that the title should have been Hare today, gone tomorrow... since he's going to be a rabbit. I have no worries about Eddie getting sidelined because there's still plenty for him to do, It's just the smallest space between DD I've ever had due to me accidentally having what I need for the new guy with some body swapping.

Be smarter than I was and don't envy those of us with more DD than we can carry at once. It's chaos around here.

~Sister Kyoya

Monty

I think the hair is really cute! It was the first thing I was going to mention and then I got distracted ._.

Believe me, it's only the lack of money and space stopping me from making the entire cast of my webcomic (8 characters) in combination DD/smartdoll form (that and the lack of tan younger boy bodies and I'm not up to a dying job.) I still at least want to make the two main characters but one requires volks making the boy body standard and the other requires me getting hold of Sheryl's head , and the latter especially doesn't come cheap. This guy already made me spend a small fortune trying to make him in pure neemo form and failing dismally, and the bigger scale would theoretically be easy but I'm still anxious about it. Oh well, they're both 'later' projects cos there's other stuff I want first. (But I'm making an MDD boy if I ever manage to get a suitable ddh01 custom from an event or yahoo auctions. Seeing the MDD bodies in person and how cute they are in the volks store just made me want to drop everything and get one right then and there but I have to wait a little at least.)

Mostly I hope I don't end up with too many while I'm living in Japan as they'll all have to come back to Australia eventually and shipping so many will be a huge pain in the rear...

I'm looking forward to seeing the bunny guy you mentioned on Twitter before, and not just cos I've been waiting to see someone make Sheryls head into a boy since I want to do it too. The number of boys you have really has spiked this past year...

JChiibs

MDD 01 boy you say??

9735022733_32a9963509_z.jpg

Okay, technically Ralph is on the Obitsu 45cm body, but we only had 1 MDD body at that point. Hopefully you'll be lucky and your 01 boy won't fal in love and make himself grow up. (Let's ignore the fact that he's wearing the same clothes as Eddie...)

21126607690_9fbf81cbb1_z.jpg

(He's sitting on the same couch...) Sometimes it can get a bit weird with Ralph going from being a little boy into a grown sexy beast, but at least he seems totally amused by it. Ralph reminds me of my oldest nephew quite a lot in personality.

I'm really hoping now that Ed's here I'll end up with more MDD/Obitsu 45cm clothes. They can be shared between Tama, Eddie, & Rainie. Ringo keeps piping up and saying Tama can share some of her clothes... and I only doubt her a little. Tama was originally supposed to have a bleepens/Edwardian style wardrobe. He's not really shy about lace and frlls. He just gets upset about the dresses because they are obviously not for boys. Having Eddie here has really been odd because he's such a normal/typical boy and it really makes Tama stand out as the mama's boy that he is.

If you are looking for a 'good runner up' for the Sheryl sculpt, you might look at the 07. They are pretty similar.

~Sister Kyoya

Monty

I did consider the DDh07, unfortunately it looks slightly too young and Sheryl is more perfect. I now know the burden of being a perfectionist about this like you're often saying. D: Hopefully there will be more mature-faced DDs like her in the future because Alna is even more elusive. (Or, knock-on-wood, actual men!)

The MDD boy is specifically intended to be the child version of one of my characters, his grown-up form would be using the DDS Boy body I mentioned before. Even though they're the same character the child version is different enough to be like a separate character, so theres no chance of him suddenly gaining a new body with the same head. Their faceups would be pretty different too, considering the younger version is innocent and smiley and the older version is a tsundere grump:

29224123355_6d13d8f449_z.jpg

I dont actually know which would come first - I mostly lean towards the MDD because I fell in love with that size after I put my first resin boy together.

I will stop highjacking your photo story thread with my plans But I cant wait to see more of Eddie! Especially with Tama!

JChiibs

Hijacking? Naw, not too much. I ramble so much I'm surprised I'm not accused of doing it in my own threads. I seem to (accidently) do it too often in Rin/len thread, and then the Snow Miku thread before that... I just really avoid making WIP threads for an individual DD after the one for Lucas took about 2.5 years.

I'm trying to think of what pics I want to do with Eddie & Tama because my little prince is having a bout of pouting. Happens every single time we get more DD that are smaller than DDS. Rainie, Ringo, & Ralph (when he was smaller) are the only exceptions so far. He gets additionally upset when it's a boy. Always afraid that someone will take his princely shota crown, no matter how often I tell him it won't ever happen. So Eddie's first nights home have been spent 'in the yard' with Ellie trying to make up for all the hugs she's missed the last few years. I wanted to bring Eddie into our bedroom since the first night but Prince Tama protested.

Me: "Tama, how about you and Eddie sit in your bed..."

Tama: "But Mommy I don't want to. This is my bed." *ignores the fact that he shares it with Dolly, Perry, Bobby, and whomever normally sits and talks with him like Lucas or Hana*

Me: "Tama, you know you need to share. Eddie's not going to take your things away."

Tama: "But you're my Mommy..."

Me: *facepalm*

If I had to say Tama has a flaw in his personality, this has to be it. He adjusts over time but it's generally a bit of a bumpy road. I think I'll have to have Dakota intervene. When all else fails or someone reuses to listen, Dakota always has a way of fixing it. At least I have plans already on how to avoid the whole issue of Tama thinking Dolly is going to be taken away by Eddie too. That would be nearly like the end of the world for Tama. Much of Eddie's and Dolly's personalities are pretty similar so they are going to be fun together. The 'kink' in the works is going to be hilarious. As if I need more havoc around here.

Peter (Sheryl boy) has had a LOT of modding done to the head. Mostly the eyes changed entirely. One thing I do have to say is if you want a Sheryl head eventually and plan on modding or doing the faceup on your own, do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra $ to get the 90% rubbing alcohol. I scrubbed like crazy to get the pink lipstick off. I'm used to wiping off Volk's default faceups, but this would not budge. Out of sheer frustration I took a super fine sandpaper to it, and even then it took another 5 minutes. Good thing the dark red mouth 'line' is perectly okay for Peter, because those are even harder to entirely remove. I posted the current status of Peter in my facup thread.

The 01 would work great for the younger version but would require an eye mod. The eye shape and the mouth of the 04 is closer to what's drawn, bit then again the chin is too different. By the way, I love the drawings. They are adorable! I really wish I could draw 'anime style' but people or animals especially are not my strong point. I either doodle or do highly detailed and shaded pencil sketches. That in between line fails to work out in my brain. Go figure.

~Sister Kyoya

Monty

Tama's just gotta deal, lol. I hope there's a photo story about him coming to terms with it, anyway. Assuming he ever makes peace with Eddie.

Thank you for the comment about my art - I just wish it translated into being able to do faceups. I know practice makes perfect but since I'm pretty much entirely a digital artist I can't seem to draw/paint on a physical object at all...let alone a 3D one like a doll head. I did the face up on my first resin just cos I wanted to see if I could, and cos I won the head in a raffle and as it was a cheap practice head I figured it was a good opportunity. The faceup isn't awful but it's very amateurish and I might commission someone to redo it when I get back from Japan (he couldn't come with me, I kinda miss the lil guy. I should post him in the off topic board sometime)

For the dolls of my OCs I'd either commission someone or buy a suitable custom head if I happen to see one because I am such a perfectionist about how I want them to look that I know I could never do it myself in a way I'd be satisfied with. (And it doesn't help that the character I want to use Sheryls head for has absolutely ridiculous hair that would require me making a lace front wig, and since the tutorials make it look like such a nightmare I'd probably commission that too ;-; The adult form of the DD boy would most likely be ddh06 or Youmu.) A readymade custom head is what I want to do for the DDH01 cos the type of face I want is not that uncommon when it comes to the kind of custom heads that end up at doll conventions and yahoo auctions. There was actually a head that would have been perfect at I-Doll in Tokyo but I couldn't get it as I didn't have the money (I had to make sure I had enough to give my friend for Rin, so I banned myself from spending over 10,000 yen at I-Doll). There's an I-Doll here in Fu kuoka in October, and the Fu kuoka branch of the doll shop Dollce gets custom heads in every now and then (funnily enough, earlier this year they had some by the same artist who made the one I wanted at I-Doll!) The convention and Dollce ones are pretty affordable but the yahoo auction ones regularly end up being almost $1000 or so cos the bidders go absolutely nuts. It kind of scares me to be honest ;;

JChiibs

29026217830_b89de24c47_z.jpg

Eddie: "Hey sis, can I go now?"

Ellie: "Nope." *hugs tighter*

I don't suspect that Tama being out of sorts will last long this time. Not like it was with Bree. That lasted over a year!

Making DD wigs in any form is very much a time consuming endeavor. Some processes more than others.

28293800305_ee1d616fa8_z.jpg

Bree's hair is made from yarn, done the same way I did Lucas' wig

24209794245_a8136293fe_z.jpg

The texture on the two wigs are different because they were two different brands of yarn. I like this way of doing it because I can brush them without loosing hair, I have more color options, and it suits anime style of hair much better than wig fibers. I have at least 5 more wigs to do this way. If I sat and did one straight through it would take me about a solid week of 8-ish hours a day to finish it. The short version of the process is cutting the yarn, separating the individual strands, hand tying the strands to thread, brushing out the yarn, straightening it with a flat iron, brushing it again, iron again if needed, and sewing the wefts to the wig cap. Tedious and slow to say the least but it gives me the options I want since I'm so picky about most details. the drawback is that these wigs are restricted to about shoulder length hair. The max length you can get depends on the length of fibers that make up the yarn, then divided in half (because they get folded over.) About half of the bulk is brushed out as the too short fibers are removed.

I've been thinking about how to change or improve the process to hopefully make it faster but I'm still trying to figure out what will and won't work.

There isn't much point to this post, I've just been wanting to ramble a bit about the wigs.

~Sister Kyoya

JChiibs

Thank you! I was thinking about doing photos like that for all of our current DD, in part to redo my sig. We have 20 with bodies, another 11 needing them or are being worked on, and I have a lottery entry for Len Kagamine. I really wish my want list ended there... LOL! I am SO overdue for individual portraits. I like this style and it's super simple to do.

~Sister Kyoya (who cringes every time she has to do a head count. )

MrFjmg03

EDDIE IS SO CUUUUTEEE!!!!!! I just want to hug him I'm so happy for you and you were able to complete your family. They ALL look so adorable. But still my favorite of all your kids will be always Tama

And

Panchita: HELLO SEXY RALPH! How you doing?!!!!

BeyondTime
Three years ago I got Ellie with the full intention to make Eddie, but her adorableness won me over completely. Never could I have barely imagined owning one Yui, let alone two.

Yui is a super cute DD. I'm not sure how to put it into words, but all the features of her face have this sort of perfect Yui balance and then it's all signed with a great big smile. You're quite lucky to have two of them.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

jazijaz

I'm seconding everybody about the set, clothes and inspiration!

Your dolls always look so alive with the poses and face ups, the backgrounds are very realistic. I was already inspired by your boys, the Yui sculpt is so cute and looks awesome as a MDD and DD.

I wish I could get a MDD but I know I would get obsessed and right now I don't have the space or time to have more dolls. I love Eddie's hair!