Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

LoveAngel

Post processing

LoveAngel

After the discovering the ways of photography an getting to know my camera, I am dying to start with post processing the pictures I have been taking from my beloved Yukino-chan.

Unfortunately, it has been years since I last did something and I completely forgot my way around. I have Corel's Paint Shop Pro x2 on my Vista laptop and may get one app for my macbook too.

Which softwares do you guys use? Any tips on tutorials or on how I could get (re)started, please?

I know my pictures have to improve, but I think I know the path now. I would like to work on post-processing together as well.

Thanks in advance!

Wordpress - Twitter - Facebook

Proud mother of Yukino-chan, Aoi-chan, Ms. Mariko and Millhiore F. Biscotti.

Waiting for : $$$

Wishlist : Miku Hatsune costume

XOHimitsuOX

Hi, i'm currently use the software that came with my camera. Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4. It's OK for basic adjustments. I normally adjust the hue, saturation, contrast, exposure and color temperature until i find something i like.

I haven't used Corel's Paint Shop Pro x, look for those settings and experiment with those settings one at a time to understand what they do.

When i think of post processing, the 1st app that i think of is Adobe Lightroom. I been thinking of getting it but i'm not quite ready to dive in and purchase it. So i went to look for other alternatives (As in free). I thought of using GIMP, but it wasn't really the right tool for adjusting RAW photos. Then i came across Darktable (http://www.darktable.org/), it's similar to Lightroom, but free. It has lots of settings and has quite a high learning curve and can be quite daunting to use. But once you learn how to use it, it's quite a powerful tool.

Now here's the caveat, it's for Linux. I use Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) so i can run another operating system in my current operating system (Windows 7). So i use Virtualbox to create a Virtual Machine (i.e. a virtual computer) and install Linux. The easiest option is Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/), but i use Debian. Once it's installed, open the package manager and install Darktable. Well thats very very brief version of my setup of running Darktable.

By the way, how do you focus when you take photos?

I have my camera on spot focus aiming at one of the eyes, use the AF button to focus. Then recompose and take the picture.

LoveAngel

I have read somewhere (I've been visiting some photography sites lately) that you can compare Adore's Lightroom to Corel's Express Lab. Yesterday, I just could not figure out how to use it properly though. I haven't given it up though.

After reading your post however, I decided to give iPhoto a try. That is the little something I did today.

Original picture:

6369570909_7011e88112.jpg

Yukino at the park by Love 4ngel, on Flickr

After some changes:

6378693581_e7f19a6510.jpg

Yukino at the park by Love 4ngel, on Flickr

I will be working on my editing skills the same way as I have been doing with my pictures in general. Feedback is always welcome.

XOHimitsuOX

Since i've read your post, i decided to play with darktable a bit more. Before, i found it a bit confusing to use and went back to my original program. But after playing around with darktable, i think i got the hang of it.

I used your photo to experiment with and here is what i done

img_0001_01.jpg

pandacornn

Wow, that looks awesome~ I wish that I could download that program for windows >__>

It looks like you had to download a lot of actually use the program OTL; I need to reformat soon anyway

so I guess I"ll just stick to photoshop for now T__T

sig.jpg

LoveAngel
Since i've read your post, i decided to play with darktable a bit more. Before, i found it a bit confusing to use and went back to my original program. But after playing around with darktable, i think i got the hang of it.

I used your photo to experiment with and here is what i done

img_0001_01.jpg

That is a great reference for me. Thanks a lot for sharing!

XOHimitsuOX

After spending a bit more time with Darktable, I wasn't too keen on collection view as you'll need to import images into the collection. I prefer a file manager view and forgot about another program that i tried a while ago called RawTherapee (http://www.rawtherapee.com/). So far i'm liking this more than Darktable, as the controls is easier to use, has a file manger view and has better support for PEF (Pentax Raw format). It's also free and it's available for Windows. So if anyone wants to edit RAWs and not sure if they want buy Adobe Lightroom, i suggest you to give it a try

OtakuDepot

I have been using Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom for a few years now and I can't tell you how many hours it has saved me in post processing compared to when I just used Photoshop.

Lightroom_3_box_400.jpg

This program isn't cheap but it's so wonderful. It takes a little time to learn how to get to use it, just like any program, but it's really easy to use. It not only lets you edit pictures but it serves as a database to store, keyword, and sort your images.

The interface is very efficient and makes so much sense after using it for a short time:

Lightroom-Workflow-Workshop.jpg

It's SOOOOOO much easier to learn than regular Photoshop - which is also fantastic but for different reasons. Lightroom is strictly for photographs.

What I love the most is being able to very easily rate and then filter photos. Yesterday I took about 170 photos of my girls putting up their Christmas tree. I was having a hard time lighting a large group as they moved around so I had a ton of stinkers. I was quickly able to go through and rate them, took maybe 10 mins? Got it down to about 30 photos I liked.

Then adjusting exposure, white balance, black levels, noise reduction, and sharpening is very easy. If I had 8 or 10 pictures under the same lighting I just adjust one photo and then tell it to apply those settings to the others. Done. Next set, same thing.

You can also find a ton of video tutorials to help you get started using it or just ask here, I'm sure I'm not the only Lightwave fan. XD

**James

Otaku Depot's growing family.

6176759571_b2375fa7d7_o.jpg

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Ultimaknight

I too use Lightroom and have to say that it is a very nice program. And yes, it really is a huge time saver for me too.

I will say that if you are a student you could look into getting the Student and Teacher Edition of Lightroom. Its the same program has the retail version, but priced at $90. For obvious reasons have to show proof you are student or facility and can't use it for commercial purposes. Can check out Adobe's website for full details to see if that option is for you.

LoveAngel

I have been reading awesome things about Lightroom. The only thing holding me back at the moment is the price...

I really like my Paint Shop, but I rarely use my Windows laptop anymore. It is really annoying to work with two computers all the time.

The tutorial I saw on RawTherapee was awesome, but the only freebie that I got to work on my mac so far is GIMP.

Maybe I will download the trial version of Lightroom.

Thanks for the input!

Poofiemus

Okay, seeing Lightroom touted around like this makes me ask what may seem like a stupid question, but: why use Lightroom as opposed to Photoshop? Granted, I haven't actually used Lightroom, but since I can do a lot of post processing tweaks and outright edits in PS I haven't seen a need to. So. . . what is it that Lightroom does better than PS?

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

OtakuDepot
Okay, seeing Lightroom touted around like this makes me ask what may seem like a stupid question, but: why use Lightroom as opposed to Photoshop? Granted, I haven't actually used Lightroom, but since I can do a lot of post processing tweaks and outright edits in PS I haven't seen a need to. So. . . what is it that Lightroom does better than PS?

The main thing is that Lightroom is made from the start for photographers and how they work. One of the best things (I think) about lightroom is I can take 50 or 100 images and then take my memory card and plug it into the computer. Lightroom import will show me thumbnails of all the images, I can select which ones I want to import or not - usually just select all. Before I import though I add keywords to the photos.

Example: Dollfie Dream, Yoko, Lily, Christmas, decorating,

When I import them (last time was over 170 images) then all get tagged with those keywords. Lightroom also serves as a database of all your images so I can easily search for a keyword and see all my matches. If I want some pictures of Sakura - they all come up and I don't have to hunt them down.

You can also apply edits to the photos as you import if you wish. Have all photos get noise reduction, sharpening, whatever. When they all import they are sorted by whatever method you select - I'm using the default system of a folder for each day. Those all get nested inside of a folder for that year.

The process of making changes is very easy - almost no menus to go through to make your edits. The majority of editing functions are all displayed on the right side pallet and easy to get to. Work on one photo and then easily apply those same adjustments (or only some of them) to any number of your other photos. This is a huge time saver. Just a few clicks can do that, no need to create batch jobs like you have to in Photoshop.

Oh!!! I can't believe I almost forgot this, the most important part. All of your changes are non destructive. In photoshop if you edit a photo in any number of ways you just save your changes - unless you make a copy of the original before you start, you can't go back after your history in Photoshop is gone.

Lightroom never changes the photo you import from your camera. It records all the changes you make but doesn't apply them to the photo permanently. It shows you the effect of the changes you are doing though so you can see your changes.

It records things like: 1) increase exposure 4% 2) Raise black levels 5% 3) Increase contrast 23%. when you view a photo in Lightroom it's still the original photos but Lightroom applies these saved changes you made to what you see. Years later you can go back and undo any of the changes and see your original photo as it came out of the camera.

Since only Lightroom saves this database of info for every photo only it can show it to you the way you want to see it. So, once you are happy with your photos you edited you select the ones you like and export those as a regular image - like a jpeg. You are exporting a copy of the file Lightroom is working with but not changing the original.

I recently shot over 170 images but only kept about 30 of them so I only exported the 30 I liked. In fact - I first look through the photos and rate them and only edit the ones I think are worth saving. This means you do less work.

This is a very basic overview of Lightroom and it has many more features. I'm not saying Photoshop isn't worth having but if your concern is the pictures from your Camera then Lightroom is the way to go. Photoshop is fantastic if you need to add text or clone parts of the image or any other type of pixel editing. I do love Photoshop but I don't do my camera photo editing in it any more - it's way too slow for that.

If I tried doing what takes me 20 minutes in Lighroom inside of Photoshop I think it would easily take me 5 times as long. Maybe longer. Having to open each image one at a time, make edits, dealing with layers so I can undo stuff.... then saving that image - only to start the next one.... Ugh.

Sorry for the WAY TOO LONG reply. HAHA I tend to get carried away about photography stuff and that includes Lightroom.

I've been thinking of doing a quick overview tutorial for what Lightroom is and how to get started using it and posting it on YouTube. I may try to do that a little earlier now and post a link to it here when done. it's much easier to see it then to read about it. XD

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

LoveAngel

There is no long thread when it is informative.

Maybe it is only me, but I am really stuck with Lr3. I got the trial version, but I ended up hitting back to PaintShop Pro (also got their trial for the x4 Ultimate).

Tutorials for newbies are always welcome!!!

OtakuDepot
There is no long thread when it is informative.

Maybe it is only me, but I am really stuck with Lr3. I got the trial version, but I ended up hitting back to PaintShop Pro (also got their trial for the x4 Ultimate).

Tutorials for newbies are always welcome!!!

Cool, I'll see about putting together some little get started videos. It's been one of my "to do" ideas so now I have a reason to give it a go. XD I think I will take some pictures of my girls and show the process I go through from importing, through editing, and then to exporting final images.

Oh, I also talk during video demos I do. I just hate seeing video demos on YouTube when the person doesn't talk and expects you to read what they type out on notepad or worse, just expect you to watch and see what's going on - and why.

I'll see if I can get them online this weekend. XD

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

LoveAngel

Cool!

I am trying Pixelmator now and I have to admit that it is very user-friendly and so far, I found everything I needed. Still, I am curious about Lr and I will be looking forward your vid.

OtakuDepot

I put together a little video showing off some of how I use Lightroom if you want to see. Ok, I tried to make it little but it's about 20 mins. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MD86hwLYxk

I didn't touch on a lot of what the program can do but just went over my basic work flow. There are a huge number of options to let you tag, edit and export photos.

Hope this helps some, feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

**James

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Traveller

I'll have to d/l the trial version of LB (if there is one) and take a look at it.

I currently use PSP X4 and just use a basic Olympus VG-120 (compact DC), as I don't photograph much and paying out for a full price DCSLR would not be that cost effective.

Amber

Thanks for all of the information about Lightroom... I only have a point and shoot camera at the moment lol, and I use Photoshop for editing, but I think Lightroom might help me feel more confident with my pictures. XD

The video helped as well ^_^

Cauldroness

You really, really don't need a DSLR to take good photos. My photos with my DSLR aren't really any better than my photos with my older point and shoot.

Sure, the DSLR has some additional technical features that P&S cameras don't, but those features are far, far less important that good lighting and good composition.

I actually like some of my old photos with my P&S better than some of the newer ones I've been taking with the DSLR. So please don't let your P&S cameras make you feel any less confident.

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

Amber

Yeah, I do like my camera, but I wish that it had a few more features to it... I mostly need to find a location that has better lighting. @_@

All of the windows in my house have this black screen over them, it is supposed to help with the electric bill, I believe? The way that they're put on makes it really hard to remove. So even when I have the shades and curtains pushed aside, the room still isn't as lit up as I hope for.

I am hoping that I can learn some new tricks with photo editing, as well as actually taking the photos...

Thanks for the encouragement, Cauldroness ^_^

Cauldroness

You're welcome! I've been taking photos of dolls for years, and I'm still a total amateur, and I still get very nervous about sharing photos. So we're really all in it together.

If your camera has an option to set a custom white balance, you can use bright lamps in the house for lighting. Otherwise you can correct the white balance in post processing, but I've found using a custom white balance setting on the camera seems to produce better results.

This photo was taken in the middle of the night, with only lamp light, and I think it turned out pretty natural-looking?

Amber

Aw, yeah that picture looks really nice! I think the lighting looks natural. Was that taken with your DSLR, or your point and shoot?

I am very nervous about sharing my pictures, haha... I take a lot of pictures but I rarely ever upload and share any.

Cauldroness

That one was taken with my DSLR, but you can achieve similar using a P&S as long as it has a custom white balance setting. I think most do these days, because my VERY old P&S (seriously, its like 6 yrs old) has that option.

My P&S took this photo in a dark bathroom with a very yellow desk lamp. I think that's the worst lighting situation I've used for photos, and it still turned out passable I think.

knibitz
You really, really don't need a DSLR to take good photos. My photos with my DSLR aren't really any better than my photos with my older point and shoot.

Sure, the DSLR has some additional technical features that P&S cameras don't, but those features are far, far less important that good lighting and good composition.

*highlights this over and over and over again*

It's the hardest thing EVER to convince people of this, too

I once was without a memory card for about and a week and a half, and decided to to go on a venture with my iPhone and attempt to shut down the people who whine about their point and shoots.

It took some effort, but I got some excellent shots with just an iPhone 4 and the Camera+ app, and one of the photos I took during that times actually happens to be one of my most popular photos in my deviantArt gallery... (sandwiched between photos taken with a nikon d7000)

I shoot photos daily. When I don't have my DSLR, my instagram feed explodes XD

and I swear I just see my world in 3rds, it's not even funny.

All of the composition and editing is just second nature to me now after years of really studying theory and playing around.

to segway into the actual topic - photoshop is really where my whole style really starts to take shape.

I didn't realize it till surveying people who follow my photography but I learned that I have a very distinct and recognizable style o_0 (and here, I just called it laziness!)

But it's my vignetting and my summery vintage hues that seem to signal people that they're my photos.

I've also been told that it's my thirding and general shallow depth of field (I always shoot with my 50 f/1.8, so I really can't avoid it - not that I'd want to XD)

But I do all of my editing in Photoshop CS5 and the paired RAW editor.

Raw is mostly color adjustments, bringing out my contrast, and adding my vignette

Photoshop is final level adjustments, editing features, touch ups (dust/mark removal, etc) adding my color filters to put in my styling technique, and then the typical border+signature, etc

(I do have screenflows of my editing process, and a few video tutorials if anyone is interested, but it's all resin dolls)

I've tried working with lightroom, but I've just never really gotten along with it. Not sure if that's a sin or not XD but I like my combo of RAW editor and photoshop for me

AntElitist

*highlights this over and over and over again*

It's the hardest thing EVER to convince people of this, too

I once was without a memory card for about and a week and a half, and decided to to go on a venture with my iPhone and attempt to shut down the people who whine about their point and shoots.

It took some effort, but I got some excellent shots with just an iPhone 4 and the Camera+ app, and one of the photos I took during that times actually happens to be one of my most popular photos in my deviantArt gallery... (sandwiched between photos taken with a nikon d7000)

I shoot photos daily. When I don't have my DSLR, my instagram feed explodes XD

and I swear I just see my world in 3rds, it's not even funny.

All of the composition and editing is just second nature to me now after years of really studying theory and playing around.

to segway into the actual topic - photoshop is really where my whole style really starts to take shape.

I didn't realize it till surveying people who follow my photography but I learned that I have a very distinct and recognizable style o_0 (and here, I just called it laziness!)

But it's my vignetting and my summery vintage hues that seem to signal people that they're my photos.

I've also been told that it's my thirding and general shallow depth of field (I always shoot with my 50 f/1.8, so I really can't avoid it - not that I'd want to XD)

But I do all of my editing in Photoshop CS5 and the paired RAW editor.

Raw is mostly color adjustments, bringing out my contrast, and adding my vignette

Photoshop is final level adjustments, editing features, touch ups (dust/mark removal, etc) adding my color filters to put in my styling technique, and then the typical border+signature, etc

(I do have screenflows of my editing process, and a few video tutorials if anyone is interested, but it's all resin dolls)

I've tried working with lightroom, but I've just never really gotten along with it. Not sure if that's a sin or not XD but I like my combo of RAW editor and photoshop for me

I am the otherwise. I find Lightroom and Photoshop is a perfect combination for my workflow. Tried to use Phocus, failed terribly and prefer the integration of Photoshop inside Lightroom.