The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Mario

New Smart Doll Guy(Update: REVEALED + Tea ver!)

freakie-oppa

But as someone who actually recently transitioned to vinyl from resin, (meaning, I am a huuuuge n00b in this department), I'll probably wait for owner pictures too. Considering he has a more pronounced profile and features, I would love to see customization on this head specifically

I really wish there were more customised SDs around. While I do like most of them as they are, it's always fun to see other versions. Like you, I've come to the vinyl world fairly recently (last year), so I'm more used to the same sculpts not looking like each other all the time. Most SD owners seem to keep their dolls completely intact with wigs and all too. That's not so say the default is bad in any way, but more just noticing this difference.

Oh man, I feel you. I've been cycling through the same few pics of customized Crimsons and Eiji's, my thirst is awakening. I must have moar customization photos -shakes fist- I agree with the 'same sculpts not looking the same' thing though, it was a little bit of a surprise to me when so little owner pictures (on tumblr and instagram anyway) showed large customization in the Smart Doll community. I think the Twitter community is super active in customization, I am just terrible at finding it, hahaha. I wonder if the new Eiji head will kindle the flames and prompt more people to customize I've had a character in mind for my future Eiji but he requires being vastly different. But again, as a n00b, I am terrified of staining the doll with a new face up, or worse, melting it.

belpita

Oh man, I feel you. I've been cycling through the same few pics of customized Crimsons and Eiji's, my thirst is awakening. I must have moar customization photos -shakes fist- I agree with the 'same sculpts not looking the same' thing though, it was a little bit of a surprise to me when so little owner pictures (on tumblr and instagram anyway) showed large customization in the Smart Doll community. I think the Twitter community is super active in customization, I am just terrible at finding it, hahaha. I wonder if the new Eiji head will kindle the flames and prompt more people to customize I've had a character in mind for my future Eiji but he requires being vastly different. But again, as a n00b, I am terrified of staining the doll with a new face up, or worse, melting it.

At best, I can produce a simple face-up on a resin bjd. Just thinking about doing the more stylised vinyl/anime face-up on a SD gives me the chills. How do you even remove the default one?

Luckily, if I do decide on new Eiji, his face-up works well for the character I had in mind (Yusuke Kitagawa from Persona 5). I just need to find a dark blue wig. And make all his clothes. Including a fancy fox costume. So I'm basically doomed anyway.

Sato

I think the whole "British humor" backfired on him a bit when the person he was rude to is also British.

People seem more resistant to customizing their eiji now he's discontinued. But hopefully it will encourage people to get the kai version painted! I haven't seen any English speaking artists who paint male vinyls though

NeeP

I Think I will still try to save for a Crimson now. It just may take longer as I 'accidentally' blew that savings on a second hand old-school Eiji with tonnes of extras. But at least now, when I do make that purchase, I won't need to spend too much additional on clothes...

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

Monty

Every time I see him I'm more and more confused why he's 'Eiji' and not a new character entirely because he just doesn't look remotely the same - not to mention how retconned he is from the original character design still on the website (which tbh I still find kinda cute, especially with his fluffy hair, but smartdoll Eiji just means 'Guy' I guess...?)

Thanks for the pics though, the comparison confirms I'm not interested - the main thing that bugged me about my Eiji was his small head and this guys head is even smaller! Not a problem if he matches dolls you have but my DDs just made him look like a pinhead lol. Especially Rin and her big noggin.

Some day my proportional-to-DDs-and-taller/more-mature-without-being-Vindoll-Macho vinyl prince will come 8')

elianti

Yeah, it is odd that Eiji Kai is labeled as Eiji at all when he doesn't look like his artwork. He still doesn't even have official glasses options available after how long? I do really like the new faceup but it is a lot more mature/smug compared to the cute/awkward teenager appearance he usually depicted as in official art.

I remember seeing a comparison between toraneko_doll's Crimson v1 & v2 on twitter. Crimson kai's face and jaw area is smaller, but his entire head seems to be a bit bigger. The headcap area looks kinda awkward from the side but it probably looks fine with a wig on.

Totally looking forward to more guy options tho! Hoping for nice new releases from Volks and SmD in that area in the near future..

Sato

I think that aside from Mirai, Kizuna and Chitose that Danny just gave up on all the other characters as anything other than molds. It makes sense really when he realized it's more important for business. But it's 100% a different design entirely, and it's not a bad thing either. I personally hate the bobble headed look my Eiji has seeing as they use the same frame as the girls, the smaller head brings it to more "bishounen" proportions.

But seeing how quickly lelouch sold out I wouldn't be surprised if he makes more boys. Boys are secondary to him and he's admitted multiple times he's not personally interested, so this Eiji is basically built up on the complaints about the original. I'm sure lots of people will be selling the original head second hand though!