Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
sinclair

Swapping Out Eyes

sinclair

Well, more about putting them back in.

I'm getting a new MDD girl and want to swap out her eyes. I've seen several tutorials online on how to pop out the stock eyes. My question is about putting the new ones in. I ordered the Volks eye putty the same time I bought the eyes, so they'll get here together. DO I just break some of the putty off and make a snake, wrap around the eye and press it into place? The question is, where on the eye do I do that so it doesn't show but still holds them firmly in place, or is it more of trial and error thing?

Also, any pointers for how to position the eyes for the best look? Should I center the pupils in the sockets, or bias them to the center, or this another trial and error for personal preference thing?

sklurk

it's whatever you prefer. The factory stuff is pretty much hot glue, not sure what their aftermarket putty is, but people use blue tacky putty or silicone ear plugs, it leaves less mess and is not permanent.

As for where to make them focus on, it's entirely up to you. Eye direction is important in illustration and animation as it gives the character some life in that it makes them look at something rather than staring blankly. I've changed Felicia's eye direction for some photos I've taken and reset them back to straight ahead, so if you're using something that's not permanent you can change and adjust as you require.

The putty can go anywhere as long as it's not visible from the outside.

SlyViolin

m92FJAwH37diAXLBOmUOR_g.jpg

Is this stuff alright? or does it leave grey/blue greasy marks?

Mario
m92FJAwH37diAXLBOmUOR_g.jpg

Is this stuff alright? or does it leave grey/blue greasy marks?

Last time I used it, it's much easier to handle than the silicone earplugs. Although make sure it's the kind that does not contain any oils, those will stain.

Other than that I haven't gotten stains from blu tack from experiences.

But if you want to be 100% sure just go for silicone earplugs, they are usually found around drugs stores everywhere. Easier to find than blu tack.

sinclair

This is what I ordered.

vs-sd-eye-putty-pure-skin-white.jpg

I thought it was inexpensive and best to use what Volks supplied.

sinclair

I tried this Volks stuff, and am not impressed. It's clean in that it leans nothing behind on your hands, but it also doesn't really seem to have any tac, so I don't know how long it'll hold the eyes in place. When I was pushing the 2nd eye in, the 1st kept moving around, so I had to go back and forth until they were both as good as I'm going to get them. We'll see how it does on the long run.

galatia9

I use poster tack too, but I get the white version. It leaves no residue on the eyes or your hands.

I tried store brand silicone earplugs and found it clouds the whites of the acrylic eyes. So I stopped using it. It has no effect on glass eyes.

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

samseramsamsam

I vastly prefer the white poster tack, basically blue tack, but in white. It does not leave any residue (I mostly use it for BJD). So far, none of the eyes I use it for has taken any damage.

baldylox
I vastly prefer the white poster tack, basically blue tack, but in white. It does not leave any residue (I mostly use it for BJD). So far, none of the eyes I use it for has taken any damage.

Same here. I use this on all my girls and have never had any residue issues or staining problems. It's cheap, can be found in just about any corner store and lasts a long time. I highly recommend it.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Meguchi

Same here. I use this on all my girls and have never had any residue issues or staining problems. It's cheap, can be found in just about any corner store and lasts a long time. I highly recommend it

what brand do you use if you don't mind me asking ?

31331.png.dfd4a63f40636b8096732abe211870c7.png

sinclair

Update on the Volks eye putty. My MMD's eyes have not moved since I got them in, so I thought it must be working. Then one of Miku's default eyes fell out, (In really.). The hot glue broke free somehow, so I just used some of the Volks putty to put it back temporarily. This weekend I decided to get her eye back in place better before taking her out for Free Comic Book Day, and boy, that Volks putty had it in there nice and good. I ad to work at removing it, at least more than I thought I would need to. So it seems over time it does hold really well, at least to the vinyl.

galatia9
Update on the Volks eye putty. My MMD's eyes have not moved since I got them in, so I thought it must be working. Then one of Miku's default eyes fell out, (In really.). The hot glue broke free somehow, so I just used some of the Volks putty to put it back temporarily. This weekend I decided to get her eye back in place better before taking her out for Free Comic Book Day, and boy, that Volks putty had it in there nice and good. I ad to work at removing it, at least more than I thought I would need to. So it seems over time it does hold really well, at least to the vinyl.

That's good to know! I always wondered how good Volks eye putty is. Plus I thought it was odd that they use hot glue in their dolls instead of their own eye putty.

what brand do you use if you don't mind me asking?

If you don't mind me replying, I've used UHU Tac and Scotch brand poster tack putties. They don't harden and become brittle, but you do have to work them a bit to start with, to warm up and soften them. They don't leave a residue on your hands.

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

elianti

I remember using one type of Aleene's putty(the only kind I could find at my local craft store) one time.. and it melted into a sticky mess in the heat. The eyes are doll were fine but it was really distressing to see that happen. >__<"" I've since switched to silicone ear plugs with mostly no problem. It looses its stickiness if you handle it too much but it's not that expensive to replace so it's alright. ^^

Meguchi

If you don't mind me replying, I've used UHU Tac and Scotch brand poster tack putties. They don't harden and become brittle, but you do have to work them a bit to start with, to warm up and soften them. They don't leave a residue on your hands.

Linda S.

galatia9

Thanks for your input

31331.png.dfd4a63f40636b8096732abe211870c7.png