Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

mahouhaiena

Tips on getting spikes/styling Len's wig

mahouhaiena

Hey all,

I just purchased my first doll a few days ago, Kagamine Len DDS! My dream doll!

I am wondering how to style his wig. I want him to have a lot of volume to his hair that is true to his design. The Volks promotional photos however don't have this, which makes me think it might not be possible. I would be happy to style his hair the same as Volks if I can't achieve his canon spikier hair (It won't let me link a reference picture but if you google Kagamine you'll see what I mean)

I was going to use the PVA glue method to style is wig. Do you think that would be the right technique to use to get that really fluffy look? What else would you recommend?

Yumeiro

I suggest looking at these videos for ideas:

And Volks has some great products for styling wigs - I love the water wax and oil spray (But I would not really recommend the wig mist - It has a strong scent, at least mine has, in case they've changed it).

Good luck!

CeliathePikachu
Are Volks wigs heat resistant? I wouldn't take a hair iron to them unless I knew for sure.

No, as far as I know they aren't. I've ruined one because I accidentally blow dried it.

Currently at home: Autumn (DD2 DDH-01), Sakura (MDD3 DDH-08), Haku (Mio Akiyama), Mashiro (Mashiro Mito), Kaito (Vocaloid KAITO)

Mashiro Mito is my wife and I love her!

mahouhaiena
I suggest looking at these videos for ideas:

And Volks has some great products for styling wigs - I love the water wax and oil spray (But I would not really recommend the wig mist - It has a strong scent, at least mine has, in case they've changed it).

Good luck!

I've seen those videos but as others have said its probably not the best idea to use heat on this wig

Lina

My advice would be to get the dollfie dream water wax, make your own curlers and have a LOT of patience. I've made my own curlers for styling wigs in the past by chopping up pop cans and rolling the aluminium around a paint brush that would be roughly wide enough to give the volume I'm looking for, and then I use clear packing tape (do not use masking tape or other porous tapes or the hair can stick to it and ruin the curl) to hold the form of the curl.

Then take a toothbrush and mix some of the water wax with water and brush it through the hair, but don't use too much or it gives the hair a never dry greasy kind of look (if you use to much just wash it out and try again), after the hair is coated with the mixture lay the curler under it to form the anime hair spike and pinch the ends together to get the sharp look, and pin it in place with a bobby pin holding down the end of the spike. Then sit there and hold it for awhile to help make sure the hair forms the way you want it to.

After it's try carefully unpin the hair and remove the curler.

I can't speak to how obtainable the original Len's hair is with the official wig as I've never seen it in person, but this method has given me a lot of good spikes in the past. Best of luck!