Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
SakuraRose

Help with MSC

SakuraRose

Sorry in advance if someone already asked about this, but I couldn't find any info.

I've been having issues with the amount of MSC that should be applied to faceups, particularly the prep layer. Iirc, the surface should feel a bit sandy after drying, right? That way paints stick on properly. After one or two layers of MSC the head would still feel pretty smooth and watercolour pencils show up faintly. Even if I spray lots and way closer than recommended, the heads would still feel pretty smooth until I'm finally done the faceup it feels sandy. I'm concerned if I actually sprayed way too much MSC by the end. I've painted a few heads by now and plan on selling them, but it'd be sooo shitty if a customer's faceup cracked some time down the road.

Oddly, my first practice head, from Parabox, never really had any issues with MSC. I just sprayed two layers and drew on it with watercolour pencils just fine. Even erasing with Mr. Clean wasn't difficult. Too bad they don't have as many nice and dynamic sculpts. Maybe it was a fluke?

For reference, I mostly worked on heads during summertime and a bit in the fall, and it was usually around 15-25 degrees Celsius. I'd take them back inside to dry shortly after so the fumes wouldn't be as strong and it's warmer during colder days.

To sum up my questions and concerns:

[*] How much MSC is too much and should the texture feel if so?

[*] Can watercolour pencils show up boldly on the first/second layer of MSC?

[*] Should I be worried about my faceups cracking? @_@

That's all I could think of for now, and thank you for reading.

Amber

I'd really like to know this as well, I want to start painting faceups and these are good questions. I hope someone will have some answers!

koolgalblue
Sorry in advance if someone already asked about this, but I couldn't find any info.

Even if I spray lots and way closer than recommended, the heads would still feel pretty smooth until I'm finally done the faceup it feels sandy.

To sum up my questions and concerns:

[*] How much MSC is too much and should the texture feel if so?

[*] Can watercolour pencils show up boldly on the first/second layer of MSC?

[*] Should I be worried about my faceups cracking? @_@

That's all I could think of for now, and thank you for reading.

Noooo!!! I can tell you right now that you're spraying WAAAAY too much!! Msc is meant to be sprayed in very, very, very light layers!

Msc should be misted on lightly, and should feel slightly 'rough' after drying. The head should not look completely drenched in the sealant!

Watercolor pencils can show up on the second layer, depending on the pencils and the application of the sealant. But, it's reccomended to do at least three layers to protect the head, and provide a good texture for pencils.

Lastly, I can't answer that for sure. I've personally only seen MSC cracking when pressure is applied to the painted surface and causes the vinyl to warp.

Good luck on your faceup adventures! I hoped I helped at all!

Currently at home: Kagamine Len, Kirito, 06 head, Akira head.

SakuraRose

Noooo!!! I can tell you right now that you're spraying WAAAAY too much!! Msc is meant to be sprayed in very, very, very light layers!

Msc should be misted on lightly, and should feel slightly 'rough' after drying. The head should not look completely drenched in the sealant!

Watercolor pencils can show up on the second layer, depending on the pencils and the application of the sealant. But, it's reccomended to do at least three layers to protect the head, and provide a good texture for pencils.

Lastly, I can't answer that for sure. I've personally only seen MSC cracking when pressure is applied to the painted surface and causes the vinyl to warp.

Good luck on your faceup adventures! I hoped I helped at all!

Thanks so much for your reply. Hopefully if I get enough answers from experienced artists, I could compile a solid list of absolute DON'Ts of MSC and how to use it.

For reference, I spray in a circular motion from about 2ft. away from the head, do that twice or so, but then it would still feel very smooth...Most times I just dealt with the smoothness and drew faint lines for planning. Last two heads I got impatient and tried spraying much closer so I'm pretty concerned about them in particular. I don't think I've seen actual tutorials on spraying methods and just general MSC info (is it supposed to be common sense? lol), so it'd be nice if I can get more info on that. I think I've seen one person spray until the head looked wet...

I didn't know I could do up to 3 layers for priming. I've read an artist saying 5 layers max, but that'd be over the limit if I do the 3 layers of priming (priming > sketch/plotting > painting > lips + blush).

Anyway, thanks again~