Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

finnleo

Azone Enma Ai Mk2.

finnleo

welp... after some considerable thinking time, I finally got around to getting my dirty paws on my first Azone/Obitsu doll.

I had been flirting with the idea of getting one of the Azone Mizuki series dolls, which includes Mizuki, Mikazuki 1&2, and naturally on topic the first version of Ai that they produced.

Oddly enough the funding never was available while browsing mandarake for these options, but when the Obitsu 50-06 head based new edition of Ai popped up on AmiAmi, the preorder was a no brainer.

Compared to the original release the Mizuki based one does come with the Kimono, and straw dolls, but the happy face, combined with the slightly too colorful fabric were off putting. This new one however had a definate Ai aura.

Ai seems to be a bit of an oddball with Azone character doll series, since she's one of the few model's that has actual eyes, instead of them just being paint... The eye's however are a bit basic, so no fancy metallic effects, however this makes them a bit more easy to photograph.

24987950157_1f842a0641_c.jpg

ai000

39858811901_89d660a98c_z.jpg

ai002

So what are my first impressions of this doll?

Quite a bit varied.

First of all I have to commend Azone for being ruthlessly honest about the origins of each component. The doll itself is stated as made in japan, but everything else is either from Vietnam (the outfit) or China (wig, accessories).

So Ai comes in the 48cm flavor of the obitsu line, so she's just a tad shorter than my DDP Iori that came in last year.

Comparing the two bodies you cant help but notice the knobly knees and elbows, which have always been the obitsu's feature, but if you are using fully covering clothing, no-one would notice.

But for the posing nerd, these double-hinged options give some flex volks bodies never have had... so there's that...

But unfortunately in Ai's case... the Knee's are quite ... apparent.

Oddly enough the abdomen area is annoyingly squishy, so that was a bit of a surprise that it would fold under tighter clothing.

But the magnetic feet made me squeal with joy... if only there weren't those exposed screw heads there...

24987949937_f072b590aa_z.jpg

ai003

39858811561_58528e65f2_c.jpg

ai004

The outfit quality is also not very good. Azone has been struggling with this in recent years. I have their old China dresses and other bits and bobs which have been quite good or even excellent, but these recent efforts have been lacking in the absense of a better word.

I thought that Rise's school outfit was a bit botched, but in Ai's case the sailor collar splits in the middle of the flap at the rear, which really looks ugly, however in normal conditions this is covered by the wig.

39858813281_bb331b50ed_c.jpg

ai005

39858813851_7ba0713506_z.jpg

ai001

But what a wig...

This is one of the most raven black wigs I have... and it has a skin tone'd basecap

But can you see it? .. nope.. The trouble is, this wig made putting Miku's default wig on a piece of cake, and then adjusting the ruthlessly straight hime-cut design over the face was a challenge to get straight.

Overall, Ai still wasnt Volks money ... so even with the lackluster outfit, she's a nice set because of the potential through the head and wig.

Since I've always liked Ai more in the Kimono, so I'll probably try and make her one, just so the outfit would be atleast more on par with the better parts of this set...

and now for some money shots...

39858810951_8412907ba9_z.jpg

ai010

39858812721_143d7cf3e9_z.jpg

ai009

39858811181_00e00b4001_c.jpg

ai008

39858812961_766946f49d_z.jpg

ai007

39858811281_03edfa9293_z.jpg

ai006

Some omake photos.. I was packing up Iori's default into her box, and I decided to throw Ai into it to see how well the two sizes interact, and apart from the pants being a bit too big, its not half a bad match.

39858810741_277889523b_c.jpg

ai012

39858812231_d262bb65ae_z.jpg

ai013

39858812561_306c3a7359_c.jpg

ai011

39858810881_dbe949db2a_c.jpg

ai014

Thanks for looking...

galatia9

I really like her eyes, especially in your mood lighting pics!! I wasn't sure if I would, just going by the company photos. The wig is beautiful too, and I like her face sculpt. She looks very expressive.

I've been considering adding an Azone girl to my vinyl doll family, but I am concerned about how small they are in comparison to DDs. And of course Obitsu joints aren't always as pretty as DD joints. Thanks for the photos!

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

finnleo

mm, I was curious as to how the eye's would look in real life because they looked odd (in a good way) in the promo pictures ... just turned out they looked weird because they are just painted plastic, without any clear bits in between... but this allows these funky dark light photos I took with ease, something that would cause several headaches if tried with metallic based eyes.

But I was also really surprised at the faceup, but then again This was my first azone to begin with, so I dunno how to compare it to previous efforts.. (though a Mikazuki 1 or 2 might soon follow, if funds allow... or I forget about getting a electronic piano...)

mm, the Obitsu/Parabox joints have been their downside since the day dot. but as I talked to people back when the MDD bodies were in quite short supply, I just asked were they going to do bikini-shots, and if not, is it that big of a deal if the joints aren't quite beautiful.

Unfortunately for Ai, the socks just stop at the lower part of the knee so that draws your attention more towards them.

The 1/3 azone 50's are more petite. the heads especially. Im not sure is Ai's head actually smaller than a Parabox Nemurihime that I have, thats supposed to go on a Parabox/Obitsu-40 body for a 1/4 scale doll.

But if you want a better and quick size comparison, Poofiemus has a Azone 1/3 Homura usually tagging along her Miku and Nanoha.

Sadie89

Thank you for your detailed review. I’m really tempted now,at least for the sake of nostalgia

I loved the anime when I was in high school,so having her in my collection could be nice...and I need a bigger Azone girl anyway!

Cauldroness

I'm glad someone on the forum got an Ai! I was considering pre-ordering her myself, as I'm terribly fond of my little Iris Collect girl, but decided against it, especially since I'd just dropped a big pile of cash on a resin girl. I really like how unique her face is--not many girls get such a stern look.

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

yokha

Wah i dont mind obitsu knee joint, (sometimes its makes me wonder maybe im the only one who really like how obitsu skeleton designed and look) and so i dont have any complaint about the sock, and i love her eyes! So vibrant, does her head the same sculpt as the 1st version? Since the eyes shape looks really different.

finnleo
I’m really tempted now,at least for the sake of nostalgia

Mmm, well technically this one was released under the most recent anime series that was in the last season on air, but truth be told I havent watched anything much past the second one where it all went a bit wonky... but the first series still managed to get this order box ticked.

I really like how unique her face is--not many girls get such a stern look.

Mm, as I already mentioned it was this expression that made me order this edition right away, since the fist one was Ok in terms of overall looks, but Ai, when she was Hell girl never smiled in the series, so thats why put off getting one of the first one's.

does her head the same sculpt as the 1st version? Since the eyes shape looks really different.

heh, well I didnt mean to sound too critical about the obitsu limbs, infact there are poses where they do look far better than DD one's, especially the knee's when folded fully.

Nope, This is the obitsu 50-06 head, and the first edition had a 50-01 Mizuki/Mikazuki head. The first edition eye's also seem to have clear acrylic lenses applied, so that might also dull their look in photos compared to this.

ggBB
(sometimes its makes me wonder maybe im the only one who really like how obitsu skeleton designed and look)

No way! I love obitsu joints, I think they're absolutely beautiful, i remember when i first got my doll I didn't want her to wear anything that hid the elbows

Singer Yuna

Thanks for another great photoshoot Finnleo ^^ you captured very nicely Enma Ai essence.

And the review, I would like to try to put the wig, I imagine myself shouting and throwing it at the air xD

The eye makeup is really cute, the lips not so much.

Pd. So she’s not going to a group photoshoot trying to scare them all?

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

finnleo

Thank you very many.

mm, the lips might be a bit too pink after some thought, but I do still think as a character doll this is more enma ai-esque than the mizuki based one with the silly grin.

Pd. So she’s not going to a group photoshoot trying to scare them all?

heh, not yet... I've been more interested in FF-14 and /Gposing in that, than doll photo's lately, and I dont really have many items to photo Ai with also ... but I have a few Azone-50cm things arriving today even, so will have to see.

alexgtx2018

it looks much better than the previous MK1.