Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Mario

DD "Phantasy Star Online 2" Matoi

littlebirdzoom

Aaaany day now Q_Q 

Waiting for eternity for Volks to release more Idolm@ster girls.

littlebirdzoom

Finally got my tracking for Matoi!!! She should be here Wednesday night. I'll post some pictures when I open her. If anyone is curious about anything, just let me know~

• Like 1

TechnoHornist

My Matoi arrived about a month ago!  Yes, I've been slow with pictures, but she's present in my most recent family photo, so that's something, right?

I didn't opt for her maid cafe outfit, as it wouldn't work with what I had in mind for her (more on that in a bit).

I kept tabs on her lottery and shipping dates for Volks JP, as Matoi as a character is incredibly special to me.  I've played the game she's from (Phantasy Star Online 2) since 2013, when the game exited open beta.  I absolutely adore her, along with Quna and Jeane, also from the same series.  I never in my wildest dreams thought SEGA would think of doing a collaboration with Volks on their then-5-year-old MMORPG.  If they continue with DDs of Quna and/or Jeane, my wallet will definitely cry.  🤣

2 hours ago, Amara77 said:

I need pics guys don't let me down!!

Ask and ye shall receive!

As with every little angel I welcome into my home, Matoi got her mandatory bust upgrade to a Shapely L uni-torso.  Obviously, her outfit was designed for up to M bust, but fortunately, the open front made fitting the larger bust much easier.  Putting her outfit on is a monumental task; it took me a solid hour to get everything put on just right.  Granted, a good chunk of that time was spent figuring out how to fit her bra on her larger assets.  😉

I was thankful to see that her outfit and wig don't appear to have any major stain dangers, as they're all lined in light colors.  Knowing what this outfit's parts are in the game (outerwear, basewear, innerwear, and accessories), Volks did a great job translating every bit of it to the dollie realm.

The only issue I found with her was two missing button snaps that are supposed to hold the choker part to the rest of her outfit.  For whatever reason, there wasn't even any sign that they had been sewed on.  A bummer, but fortunately, I can just tuck the ends away and you don't really see them anyway.  Maybe in the future, I'll find a method to secure the choker.

If you want more pictures, I can most certainly take more while prepping a proper photo post for her!  😍

IMG_20190321_185353.jpg

Edited by TechnoHornist
  • Like 1

Proud papa of my baker's dozen of little angels: Hanako, Mariko, Miku Append, Mirai Suenaga, Ami, Hatsune Miku, Iowa, Snow Miku, Jeane, Celeste, Megurine Luka, Matoi, and Sailor Mercury!

littlebirdzoom

She's here! I love her! Her outfit was tight but was fine. The only trouble I kind of had was getting the leg armor to stay together. Not super sturdy, but everything was great. She's adorable and I'm so in love with her. Once I get tired of her outfit I'll customize her... But that might be a while. Definitely an impressive girl and outfit. 

I can't stop gushing over her. She's so beautiful! I'm so happy. I've never had someone I want to display and play with equally. What to do ahh! 

20190501_212914.jpg

20190501_212904.jpg

• Like 5

cfx

Glad you finally got her. @onion24@

She looks nice and looks like the prototype Volks displayed except I see in both your and @TechnoHornist's pictures the wig doesn't quite live up to that because the side loops just kind of hang down. It looks like the loops are longer on the production wigs so they're heavier perhaps causing that?

Looks like they did a good job on the outfit. I especially like the whole legging and boots part.

She's still available to buy on Volks Japan's webstore: https://ec.volks.co.jp/category/0105/4518992420493.html

DiCRSVxVQAA7knk.jpg:large

• Like 1

littlebirdzoom

Thank you!! @onion30@ I noticed that too. Unless Volks used some pretty strong hair product (which I doubt as it looks soft and shorter) the loops on the finished product are definitely longer and floppier. Actually I just pinched mine in and they stand out more. In her art they're shorter too. Oh well. Maybe I'll put something in them to make them stand out more.

Her eyes are a lot more sparkly/shiny in person than in the pictures. Still don't like them xD Also side note: That Volks brush/toothbrush is good for putting on clothes too! The little thin end saved me so many times!

We only have one stand to fight over. When I took Miku off her stand and tried to re-position her, her arm peg broke like it was nothing. I'm sorry Miku, you haven't been replaced. Didn't have to go and try to get revenge Q_Q

Edited by littlebirdzoom

cfx

I can't tell this for sure, but I also think maybe the way the hair is wrapped around to tie it up is different on that prototype which might affect how much it stands out.

I was looking back through this thread and I'd forgotten the edited picture @Subaru made with narrower irises in the eyes so there was some white visible and how much better that made her look. I think with red eyes like that she'd still look like Matoi; of course if you're making her a different character then anything that looks good will work.

Volks eyes always seem to look different in person than in pictures; I think the metallic effect and how it affects light and reflections is just hard to capture in a photo.

That's a great tip about using the hairbrush to help in putting on the clothing!

Sorry to hear about Miku's arm.

@onion6@

BeyondTime

It’s always possible that in the product photos and display they may have used wire to make the hair stand up like that. 

I did make a loop of my Rei Hino’s hair about the same size as the showroom Matoi, and it did stand out at an angle. Her wig is nice and soft too. A tight loop seems to stick out pretty well on its own. 

My suggestion would be contact their customer service and include a photo. Worst case they may just point you to the “product variation due to hand made” / “item may change in final version” disclaimers, but it can’t hurt to try. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Subaru

Depending on how the rest of this year goes, I may consider picking up a Matoi. Unfortunately I guess I'm mostly interested in repainting her vs actually owning her..... so that's going to have to be thought through carefully. OTL

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

Amara77
On 5/2/2019 at 6:51 PM, Subaru said:

Depending on how the rest of this year goes, I may consider picking up a Matoi. Unfortunately I guess I'm mostly interested in repainting her vs actually owning her..... so that's going to have to be thought through carefully. OTL

Same haha but I can send you mine when I get my hands on her if you'd like to check her out first 😉

She's looking very good in these pictures! Thank you @TechnoHornist!  I like to see as many pics as possible before I make a purchase so the more the merrier! 😁 

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

BeyondTime

She very much looks like an SD

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Gabriel

OK, Matoi arrived today.  I need to ask other people who have Matoi in their households a question.

The instructions and part sheet show some black hinged pegs that go in the boots.  The sheet shows these as separate parts which must be installed.  Are the instructions incorrect and these parts are already installed in the boots?

I'm guessing they're already part of the boots because I can fit the boots over the shin pegs as I'm assuming you're supposed to.  But the mounting pegs in the boots (which I'm guessing are the "missing" black pieces), don't seem to be removable.  I definitely don't have any separate peg parts in the box.

---

I got the pastry chef outfit.  I definitely wanted the dark tights, and I figured the outfit minus the booties, oven mits, and shawl (?) thing would look fine.  But after I tried Matoi in her default, I decided to see how she would look completely decked out in the pastry chef suit.

In pictures I thought the outfit looked silly particularly because of the puffy booties and oven mitts, but in person she simply exudes heart melting cuteness.  I even like the parts of it I thought I wouldn't.  Of course, those parts won't ever have any applicable use outside of this outfit, but IMO they look much cuter in person than the pictures.

• Like 2

littlebirdzoom
On 7/26/2019 at 10:30 PM, Gabriel said:

OK, Matoi arrived today.  I need to ask other people who have Matoi in their households a question.

The instructions and part sheet show some black hinged pegs that go in the boots.  The sheet shows these as separate parts which must be installed.  Are the instructions incorrect and these parts are already installed in the boots?

I'm guessing they're already part of the boots because I can fit the boots over the shin pegs as I'm assuming you're supposed to.  But the mounting pegs in the boots (which I'm guessing are the "missing" black pieces), don't seem to be removable.  I definitely don't have any separate peg parts in the box.

---

I got the pastry chef outfit.  I definitely wanted the dark tights, and I figured the outfit minus the booties, oven mits, and shawl (?) thing would look fine.  But after I tried Matoi in her default, I decided to see how she would look completely decked out in the pastry chef suit.

In pictures I thought the outfit looked silly particularly because of the puffy booties and oven mitts, but in person she simply exudes heart melting cuteness.  I even like the parts of it I thought I wouldn't.  Of course, those parts won't ever have any applicable use outside of this outfit, but IMO they look much cuter in person than the pictures.

They're already inside the boots. I have no idea why the instructions say they're separate, but they're in the boots already just slide em on.

Please... my heart can't take the pastry chef outfit regret. I must pick that up at some point. I was totally disinterested in it in the promotion pictures (because Volks pictures are awful, always, for just about everything) and user pictures make it much better. Do you have any pics of your girl?

• Thanks 1

Gabriel
48 minutes ago, littlebirdzoom said:

They're already inside the boots. I have no idea why the instructions say they're separate, but they're in the boots already just slide em on.

Please... my heart can't take the pastry chef outfit regret. I must pick that up at some point. I was totally disinterested in it in the promotion pictures (because Volks pictures are awful, always, for just about everything) and user pictures make it much better. Do you have any pics of your girl?

OK.  That's what I figured, but I had this lingering thought that somehow there were pieces I didn't have included.

You can see pictures of my Matoi in her chef outfit over in the Dollfie Dreams Photos section under the thread "Gabriel's Girls and the Photography of Doom"  It's on page 6.

TechnoHornist

Yay for others who brought home the lovely Matoi from the Great and Glorious Space Future that is Phantasy Star Online 2!

That repaint is absolutely gorgeous!  Still, I love Matoi too much as she is to do any sort of repaint.

My Matoi's outfit was missing a few hidden snap points that connected her choker to the top part of her outfit, i.e., they didn't even exist.  It wasn't a huge deal, since I can tuck the ends away, but did anyone else have an issue like this?

Proud papa of my baker's dozen of little angels: Hanako, Mariko, Miku Append, Mirai Suenaga, Ami, Hatsune Miku, Iowa, Snow Miku, Jeane, Celeste, Megurine Luka, Matoi, and Sailor Mercury!

Gabriel
On 8/9/2019 at 9:45 PM, TechnoHornist said:

My Matoi's outfit was missing a few hidden snap points that connected her choker to the top part of her outfit, i.e., they didn't even exist.  It wasn't a huge deal, since I can tuck the ends away, but did anyone else have an issue like this?

No, my only issue was the confusion caused by those boot/foot pegs.

But Matoi's outfit was the first where I felt the need to open the instructions to figure out what to do.

I thought it was interesting that for every other new DD I've received, the instructions have been heat sealed.  However, with Matoi the intructions were merely bagged and taped.

cfx

Another pic of aki_aa's Matoi that is so beautiful I had to post it:

• Like 3