Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Zaliayn

Smart Doll Follow Me Eyes

Zaliayn

So Danny has been showing some prototype eyes lately that are made so that the doll is looking at you from whichever angle she's viewed from:

Comparison with standard eyes-

Personally I love them, especially since I find repositioning eyes all the time for photos a bit of a chore. Danny has mentioned maybe making them default for all dolls. I wouldn't mind that, but I imagine some people might just find them a bit creepy!

Yumeiro

The problem I find with these kind of eyes, is when you want to take photos of the doll looking at something off-camera/not looking into the camera.

Cauldroness

I think they may Mirai look even MORE cross-eyed than before.

I definitely think they're an interesting concept and I like them a lot... If they sell separately, I might try a pair in a DD.

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

Eiko82

I think it's a cool idea but I wouldn't make them default. Sometimes, people like taking photos of their dolls looking at something else than the camera.

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

cfx
I think they may Mirai look even MORE cross-eyed than before.

I definitely think they're an interesting concept and I like them a lot... If they sell separately, I might try a pair in a DD.

The cross-eyed look is certainly accentuated.

I wonder what they actually look like in person. Presumably they don't have the typical eye design dome but rather one that covers the whole visible part of the eye in order to acheive this effect. That's kind of suggested by something visible in this photo:

Mirai on the right with these eyes has a much more visible gap between the white of the eye and her head; it looks like the eyes are set back further in her head though it's probably actually that there is a thick lens that covers the entire dome or at least the visible part.

I think it's an interesting idea but think it shouldn't be the default in the dolls, or be a selectable option.

If sold separately given pricing on everything else Smart Doll, I wonder what they'll cost? Danny already sells acrylic eyes for 2800 yen; nearly 3X what pretty much anyone else sells them for. He has said he's making them for every doll now but I was thinking, and suspecting, it will only be the new styles, not the classic ones. Personally I prefer the classic ones and just bought some for use in DDs.

growcian

I discovered the hard way DD Sheryl's eyes follow you.

IMG_2423.jpg

I have some rambling and additional photos below to explain what exactly it was I was doing.

http://blog.doll.cafe/2017/03/doll-on-doll-violence-i.html

As much as what's at the link might be amusing, I want to stay on topic.

If you want to use your doll as a model who looks into the camera or be amused by how her eyes will follow you as you move, having this type of eyes is awesome.

Under certain cirbleepstances, the "follow you" eyes will present a problem. If you want your doll to be a model and look in a certain direction away from the camera, then you'll need to swap out the eyes. If you want to use your dolls as actors, you'll have to get creative with which angles you take photos from in general (or swap out the eyes).

The Smart Doll "Follow Me" eyes will be no different. In general, these eyes are great to have. Just don't have your dolls equipped with such eyes if you don't want them to stare into the camera.

Only after I took the above photo, I noticed Sheryl has the "follow you" eyes. I didn't want to put in the effort to swap out her eyes and then do a re-shoot. In the end, it worked out because I got to share this story here.

2B_banner01.jpg.962d91244de709d8a9e140bd8ee9ed52.jpg

cfx

Haha, it sorta looks like Sheryl was surprised by and is now eyeing a third person at camera position that also has a weapon that might be aiming for her.

I'll be sure and look for that effect now when I unbox my Sheryl.

Shailara

I would personally love the follow-me as default so I wouldn't need to buy them separately - i think they'd be easier to sell too for anyone who doesn't want them, over selling the default eyes.

I don't mind having to swap the eyes out for normal eyes, if I need my girl to look away: after all, more than usual, you'd have to open the head and position the eyes the way you want to, so...

For reference, Danny was inspired to do this by someone who is already doing that, so for anyone who wants to check if they like these type of eyes for a decent cost, they can look at this shop: https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/FaraiyasShop

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

MrFjmg03

I like it. The costume eyes I made for my Smartdolls have the same effect they follow me or the camera wherever I move. I like my dolls looking at the camera when I take pictures, so this kind of eyes make it more easier for me because I hate moving the eyes. So once they are in they stay in the same position forever. It was very cheap to make them, but they don't look high quality like the ones Danny made.

26266696437_a618d4b966_z_d.jpg

MegWesley

I am unsure about the follow me eyes. On one hand, it looks like an interesting concept. On the other, I don't know if I would like them in person. If he ever makes a pair of blue follow me eyes, I would be tempted to get them to test out on Miku.

Home: Hatsune Miku ♡

Zaliayn

Maybe if Danny did some sort of deal like he plans with Kanata's glasses, where you could buy the Follow Me eyes for a discount if purchased with a doll, might be better than making them default. Or perhaps some kind of upgrade option? Then people who don't want them can still just have the normal eyes, and people who do want them can also get a pair of normal eyes for photos where they don't want the doll looking at the camera - I know I'd like to have some of the normal ones in the same colour for just those type of photos.

Plus I think there would likely be a price increase in the dolls if the Follow Me eyes were default, since I'm sure I read Danny saying somewhere that the eyes were difficult to make perfectly due to dust inclusion during the production process. I'm not sure I'd want the price of the basic dolls to increase much more than it is at the moment.

Starwaia

Late but I agree with Zaliayn, it would be better if they were released as a non default or upgradeable option. Given what was posted it seems like mass producing them would be difficult or at the very least expensive. I think they're a cool gimmick but coming from similar discussions in a certain fandom I'm on the periphery of (that starts with f and ends with urry ), and given that photography of these dolls is very much encouraged, I do think that keeping the subject's gaze directly at the camera every single time might not be the best thing to start out with by default. (though I can think of situations where it might be worth it, and of course personal preference plays a factor, I personally would rather have more control over that sort of thing and that means not being locked in to one way of doing things).

Speaking of, I suppose I should mention that one eye mech someone on Twitter made. I need to find the link again but something like that would appeal to me more in regards to this sort of thing.

I guess another thing is that I like playing with the idea of the "creepy doll" stereotype and the follow me eyes did immediately inspire several pranks I could play on unsuspecting nornies- that is to say, non doll people. Is that mean? ^^;

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

jaderose
Late but I agree with Zaliayn, it would be better if they were released as a non default or upgradeable option. Given what was posted it seems like mass producing them would be difficult or at the very least expensive .... given that photography of these dolls is very much encouraged, I do think that keeping the subject's gaze directly at the camera every single time might not be the best thing to start out with by default. ...

Speaking of, I suppose I should mention that one eye mech someone on Twitter made. I need to find the link again but something like that would appeal to me more in regards to this sort of thing.

Exactly! I think they're fun for prank purposes, like you said, or for people that know that's what they want, but as a default option... meh. Smart Dolls are expensive enough already, I don't want the price tag on my future Cortex to go up by $20+ (and the eyes on my Cortex to creep my friends out more than they would otherwise) because Doll Overlord Danny Choo decided to make it so.

If you do find the link to the eye mech, let us know! I've seen DD-specific mech on Y!J, and the Dream Fitter, but it'd be neat to see what someone figured out for Smart Doll =^w^=

The post above this signature was probably TLDR, and I am very sorry.

Starwaia

Jaderose-

I can't pm yet so I'm posting this here, sorry if it's too off topic for this thread.

I went back and found the post about the Smartdoll eye mech, it's called the "Kani kit" and it was made by Twitter user SMD_Experten (I can't post links yet either but if you scroll down their page there is a post in English with info), and they have mechs for Mirai and Chitose sculpt heads but idk about any others. I don't know anything about availability or price or stuff like that but there is an email listed and it seems they've retweeted people who have got them. Translate doesn't seem to be working on my phone at the moment so idk about anything else.

Hope that helps!

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

Panda_Dolliess

If you do find the link to the eye mech, let us know! I've seen DD-specific mech on Y!J, and the Dream Fitter, but it'd be neat to see what someone figured out for Smart Doll =^w^=

Kodama Anime did a detailed video on how to install the Kani Kit!

*FB Sales Post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/514742668628232/permalink/1277926215643203/?sale_post_id=1277926215643203

*Its in the SmD Lover's group so, Im not sure if you can see it if you're not a member

instead of fixing the plastic rings with glue, you can use a thing circle of blue tac. That way, you have the option to change eyes.

cfx

Yeah I can't see anything in the facebook post; I don't know if it's because it's a closed group or because I don't have a facebook account at all, but anyway I stumbled on more info about the Kani kit. Here's a tweet from the maker on how to order and cost:

And their video on installation:

The Kodama Anime one has more details I think.

Sinisterrainbow

I love the idea of follow me eyes! I guess i order a pair if they are available in future!

Starwaia

I was thinking about this again since I was considering getting some for my Melody, but I noticed that Mel's eyes already sort of follow me? I assume it has something to do with the cross eyed position since I haven't changed that. I'm probably not going to get the special version because of that and because these new ones kind of look too distant/artificial to me. It may be just the lighting but in all the videos he's posted it looks like they aren't in the eye sockets all the way? Has anyone who bought the follow me eyes noticed this in person or is it just in the photos? 

cfx

Some regular eyes do have the effect though not to the same degree. DD Sheryl Nome's eyes are like that.

While I haven't seen the Follow Me Eyes in person, the issue you see with them looking distant is real; it's how they work. The typical animetic eyes have the white base with the printed eye design on it and then the small domed lens over that. In order for the eyes to appear to move as you move around the doll, to accomplish that the design of these is different; the printed eye design is much further back with a much thicker, larger clear top; in other words much more of the eye is clear.

That's why you get the effect of them being not mounted all the way in the head.

I don't know if my explanation is very good; I should try to make a little diagram or something.

Catzs101

That's really cool! It would help with photos!

Starwaia

@cfx Your explanation is good, I knew they were made differently but never knew how they actually worked. That's pretty cool! Gonna stick with normal eyes for now but it's good to know why the follow-me eyes are like that. Thanks!

I wonder how much the making process differs since I know Danny Choo was having some trouble making them cheap enough to be mass produced but still good quality. I guess he figured it out since I don't think they're limited... or so I was going to say before I checked the site just now and saw they're sold out lol. Idk though if that's due to a lot of demand and they'll be coming back, or if they aren't going to be produced very much/at all anymore? I guess I'll wait and see... and they are definitely pricier than regular eyes so maybe the process is more "more difficult" than I thought it had ended up being. But I'm just rambling now since I've been out of the loop for a bit. Is there any way to find something like a summary of what Danny's actually officially said? It's confusing digging through tweets and such... but I digress! ^^;

Lightlode

If it is any info, I got Crimson Kai from the recent batch and he came with follow me eyes.  Maybe the boys default will come with these eyes?

Mame

I got my Crimson kai back in late 2017 and he came with follow me eyes. I’m not sure if the guys are suppose to have follow me eyes on purpose or the eyes just came out that way.  A while later, Danny also started to introduce the follow me eyes as a brand new product. @onion35@ 

darlingdeers

The follow-me eyes make me think of fursuits, only me?

Mothiraffe
1 hour ago, darlingdeers said:

The follow-me eyes make me think of fursuits, only me?

When I mentioned the concept to a friend of mine they said the exact same thing lmao. 

(That said, I hope these come back into stock soon. I want a pair for one of my girls!)

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe