Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Yumeiro

Resin head on Smart doll body

Yumeiro

Been toying with the idea of putting a resin head/"S-hook-head" on a Smart Doll body.

Any suggestions of which methods I should try for securing the head?

growcian

Without seeing what the resin head looks like on the inside, I can only wonder whether this will even be remotely useful.

1.) Make sure the head cap of the resin head is off. Put the Resin head onto the peg of the neck frame.

2.) Wrap masking tape on the neck peg. Wrap enough to prevent the head from falling off when the doll is turned upside down.

3.) Put the head cap onto the head.

2B_banner01.jpg.962d91244de709d8a9e140bd8ee9ed52.jpg

Poofiemus

I know that when people make hybrids with DDs using resin heads, they often stick an S hook in the head and loop the elastic around the inner torso armature. I think in Smart Doll the equivalent would probably be that T section the shoulder pivots hook onto. You probably do also want to suede the socket where the head meets the neck though.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Yumeiro
and loop the elastic around the inner torso armature. I think in Smart Doll the equivalent would probably be that T section the shoulder pivots hook onto.

I was thinking about this method, but curious about if the "innards" would hold/be stable enough...

Poofiemus
and loop the elastic around the inner torso armature. I think in Smart Doll the equivalent would probably be that T section the shoulder pivots hook onto.

I was thinking about this method, but curious about if the "innards" would hold/be stable enough...

I think the innards wold be fine--that spine setup is strong, and was originally devised for industrial machine tubing. I'm more curious to find out if the outer neck vinyl would squish or not.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

cfx

I think the innards wold be fine--that spine setup is strong, and was originally devised for industrial machine tubing. I'm more curious to find out if the outer neck vinyl would squish or not.

If that turned out to be a problem, the harder plastic of Cortex might work better, though the seam might also make it not that much stronger.

Misuka

I think its possible with maybe heavier 9/10 resin heads if it was kept on there all the time maybe after several months there would be sag and squishing. The vinyl is pretty light. Cortex body might be a better option, with maybe vinyl arms and legs if that was desired. I don't know if there is any skeleton structure strength differences, I think the first people getting cortex would have to report back.

The_Folktale_Fox

I'm not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread but I am really considering making a resin head and vinyl body hybrid. I tested on my angelphilia's body (soft skin) and I think it would actually hold up fine. The angel philia body is way to small and too curvy/feminine looking for what I have in mind. So I considered may be a DD but I like the shaping of the smartdoll a little better. 

If I did start to see some sagging at the neck I would just try to maybe add something in to stabilize it. With my test I didn't want to do anything drastic since I was going to put the AP head back on it after seeing how it would look. I just used some plastic straws to stabilize it. Just to hold up up. Anyway unless the neck on the smartdoll is quite weaker than that on the AP I think it would be fine! 

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, The_Folktale_Fox said:

Anyway unless the neck on the smartdoll is quite weaker than that on the AP I think it would be fine!

The shortness of the neck peg on a SmartDoll might be an issue. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

The_Folktale_Fox
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

The shortness of the neck peg on a SmartDoll might be an issue. 

maybe? I've never owned a smartdoll. But I think the method of putting the elastic around the inner frame in the chest and having an S-hook attach to that sounds like a good idea. But if if doesn't workl.. I still have a nice smartdoll 😉

Cauldroness

I wonder what resin heads would even be a good match to SmartDoll...? You'd probably have to do a lot of blushing unless you got real lucky, or were very tolerate of mis-matched skin.

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

The_Folktale_Fox
12 hours ago, Cauldroness said:

I wonder what resin heads would even be a good match to SmartDoll...? You'd probably have to do a lot of blushing unless you got real lucky, or were very tolerate of mis-matched skin.

Blushing to match is no issue for me. I do all my own face ups. Also on my AP so I'm not worried about that. Also I'm not very worried with a perfect match. As long as it isn't a stark difference I'm fine. 

BeyondTime
22 hours ago, The_Folktale_Fox said:

But I think the method of putting the elastic around the inner frame in the chest and having an S-hook attach to that sounds like a good idea.

The SmartDoll frame is known for breaking fairly easily, so there will probably be a limit to how much tension the elastic can be under. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Lynn
On 6/17/2021 at 8:57 PM, The_Folktale_Fox said:

But I think the method of putting the elastic around the inner frame in the chest and having an S-hook attach to that sounds like a good idea. But if if doesn't workl.. I still have a nice smartdoll 😉

It WILL work. It works just fine. I have a 1/3 sized resin head attached to a smartdoll body via string and an S-hook. And just for the record... I have eight smartdolls and NONE of them has ever broke in any way. I CANNOT say the same for my obitsus or dollfie dreams. I'd say the vinyl neck will dent because of the tension before the smartdoll spine breaks. 

• Like 1

The_Folktale_Fox
3 hours ago, Lynn said:

It WILL work. It works just fine. I have a 1/3 sized resin head attached to a smartdoll body via string and an S-hook. And just for the record... I have eight smartdolls and NONE of them has ever broke in any way. I CANNOT say the same for my obitsus or dollfie dreams. I'd say the vinyl neck will dent because of the tension before the smartdoll spine breaks. 

Oooh thanks for the info! Glad to know it works just fine. Out of curiosity, what head do you have on the smartdoll body? 

Lynn
On 6/19/2021 at 1:15 AM, The_Folktale_Fox said:

Out of curiosity, what head do you have on the smartdoll body? 

Sorry for the late reply. The head is from Dream of Doll, Dream of Teen Ducan. The colour match is not exactly perfect, but close enough. I can't get him a resin body anyway (too heavy), so smartdoll was pretty much the only option for me. There is also a gap between the head and a neck. He needs to wear a scarf or something aroud his neck, so that also helps with the colour matching issue. His body is a cortex smartdoll girl body with XS bust. 

The_Folktale_Fox
2 hours ago, Lynn said:

Sorry for the late reply. The head is from Dream of Doll, Dream of Teen Ducan. The colour match is not exactly perfect, but close enough. I can't get him a resin body anyway (too heavy), so smartdoll was pretty much the only option for me. There is also a gap between the head and a neck. He needs to wear a scarf or something aroud his neck, so that also helps with the colour matching issue. His body is a cortex smartdoll girl body with XS bust. 

Oh that sounds amazing! I'd love to see a picture of him if you don't mind sharing 😊

Geoffryhawk

I've put a standard Granado Resin Evol head on my Vindol before, the issue really is mostly about holding it stable.

I suggest a hard rubber gasket, one that is the donut rather than flat like a washer. (can get all kinds of sizes from the hardware store, bring a SMD head or body to test I suggest or get a set of various sizes they're very inexpensive.)

you hold it in place, pop the smartdoll peg through and it should hold the head just fine.

Since smart doll head movement is mostly in the neck, instead of pushing the head to pose it push the neck, and that should work just fine.