Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

finnleo
9 hours ago, MagicalRozen said:

hijabs are back

that screenshot does make me a bit curious, perhaps being overly prude even, but...

having walked by a few times a real life store that specialized in these garments in sweden... I do wonder if someone who was actually out to buy one out of necessity would feel about that perticular image spread ... I mean boobietop to the east ... a bikini bottom peeking at the north....underwear waistline to the north east...

... classy company and all.

On 7/5/2022 at 7:08 AM, Riesz said:

Why doesn't acne girl have pimples on her boobs and back too?

this actually gave me a flashback to around 8'th or 9'th grade, when a girl in class who didnt seem to have too much issues put on a performance as part of a circus club, and wore something that had her shoulders bare - the contrast between the line where a t-shirt neckline would normally go was quite drastic (we were talking sea of red drastic), and made me feel that my few stubborn zits were nothing really to complain about.

• Haha 1

Eiko82

I'm glad to see that the hijabs are back. Back when he first introduced them, I admired the company for offering that kind of diversity, same as offering different skin tones. They've always been around that price, I think. 

It looks like he improved the design. I own the previous versions. They're lovely but they can be a bit tricky to put on. So that clip button should make it easier. 

• Like 2

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

DollyDearest

came by to check the thread,  ( gmail hasn't sent any new notfications)   so wondered what's new?    let me know.  

Edited by DollyDearest
  • Confused 1

DollyDearest

shadow ban anixety?   wouldn't wanna over work shoe child's employees.

Edited by DollyDearest

Oculae

Screenshot_20220802-104558_Firefox.jpg.f29b9891ca00f5ff91eea0adaffcd96e.jpgScreenshot_20220802-104605_Firefox.jpg.12489b2a06cf6837158e3f0aca0f1d7f.jpgScreenshot_20220802-104616_Firefox.jpg.01efd88206ff807263fa809353e5ce70.jpg

Danny's back at it again.

Lots of commenters have pointed out the resemblance to the classic "black uniform + red armband" used by the Nazi military, and that plus the pose and the story attached... 😬

I'll be interested in seeing if he changes this design, considering that he's already blocked a fairly well-known person in the vinyl community for pointing it out. The backlash is not gonna be good.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Collie

Yikes. 😬

BeyondTime
53 minutes ago, Oculae said:

Lots of commenters have pointed out the resemblance to the classic "black uniform + red armband" used by the Nazi military, and that plus the pose and the story attached...

That looks like a pretty standard sci-if uniform to me. 

I do find it funny that the name of the "system" has "Dani" in it. Ego much? 😂

• Like 7

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Oculae

It mostly is, and the pose too, but the armband and color scheme puts it way too close for comfort for me, especially with those details. Even just removing the armband would help.

• Like 4

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Emil

Normally I don't bother with this thread, but I keep seeing this post circling around so I figured I'd drop my two cents. 

Most of the people making the biggest stink about it are DD collectors. He isn't going to

a) take criticism well from them

b) listen to that criticism

because they collect dolls from his "competitor" (in his mind from what I gather)

• Like 1

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

GremlinBonDD
1 hour ago, Oculae said:

Screenshot_20220802-104558_Firefox.jpg.f29b9891ca00f5ff91eea0adaffcd96e.jpgScreenshot_20220802-104605_Firefox.jpg.12489b2a06cf6837158e3f0aca0f1d7f.jpgScreenshot_20220802-104616_Firefox.jpg.01efd88206ff807263fa809353e5ce70.jpg

Danny's back at it again.

Lots of commenters have pointed out the resemblance to the classic "black uniform + red armband" used by the Nazi military, and that plus the pose and the story attached... 😬

I'll be interested in seeing if he changes this design, considering that he's already blocked a fairly well-known person in the vinyl community for pointing it out. The backlash is not gonna be good.

Just adding my two cents in. I was the first person to point this out this morning after he posted. I simple said:

“I'm not sure the red arm band on
the black uniform is entirely a good
idea. 😬

I was almost immediately blocked across all platforms. I pointed this out not because I collect any other doll but because I am Jewish and it immediately set off flags for me. I’ve had a lot of vocal support from smart doll owners and other doll owners alike. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 6

Oculae

@BonBoopYou were actually who I was referring to when I mentioned the "fairly well-known person" getting blocked. I know you're pretty big over in the DD side of things. I just didn't wanna mention you by name in case you wanted to stay out of it or provide your own story later.

• Like 7

GremlinBonDD

@Oculae I tend to brain fart that my name is well known these days 🤣 I appreciate it though! I do not mind being mentioned over this. Thank you for the consideration ♥️

• Like 5

SweetTeethz

It’s just kinda unbelievable he did this and think “yes now this is what I wanna associate with my brand!” ???

• Like 2

That_Dollfie_Dude
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

I do find it funny that the name of the "system" has "Dani" in it. Ego much? 😂

This one I'll put down to coincidence.  It seems to be named after Gotanda, the district in Tokyo where Danny's Smart Doll store / workshop is located. 

The constant attack on his own customers is nauseating, though. 

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Oculae said:

It mostly is, and the pose too, but the armband and color scheme puts it way too close for comfort for me, especially with those details. Even just removing the armband would help.

1 hour ago, BonBoop said:

I'm not sure the red arm band on
the black uniform is entirely a good
idea.

I can see how that can be a red flag, but I can also see it as very similar to how student council members are depicted in anime. Most often they have a black military looking uniform for the boys, or a crisp looking Sailor Fuku for the girls, and a red "Seitokaicho" armband. The look might not be the greatest from our western standpoint, but I am much more inclined to see an sci-if & anime influence here as opposed to an embrace of Nazism.

• Like 6

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Oculae

Oh yeah, I don't think any of this is intentional!

The uniform's design is military-esque to carry on the solar marines theme, the colors match the existing volcano uniform, the armband is a very neutral symbol denoting leadership in Japan, the pose is reminiscent of a sci-fi space captain's "attack, peons!" pose, and the blurb is just more of Danny's solar marines story, which has always described "the Entitled" like an alien scourge would be in a comic book.

But the combination of each of these things, while neutral on their own, leads to a doll in a black military uniform with a red armband, posing with an outstretched arm reminiscent of a certain salute, followed by a blurb that describes other human beings as vermin that need to be eradicated. Very easy to get the wrong idea from this. I highly doubt it's intentional, but it's still wrong, and I hope people pointing it out lets him see where people would get the wrong idea and inspire him to change it before the official release.

It's a shame too, because I like the regular solar marine suits. This one could have been cool if not for just the wrong combination of details.

Edited by Oculae
SOLAR marines, Oc. Learn 2 read...
  • Like 11

SnarkyGoblin

The regular one has the same red band too.  I don't think any of this was on purpose, just an unfortunate pose.  This could have been so easily resolved just saying, "Sorry did not realize the overlap in pose and outfit.  It is meant to be a sci fi aesthetic with a Japanese cultural item meaning.  Will be more careful of poses in the future."

Honestly I think both sides are overreacting.  Banning for bringing it up is wrong,  but some people are flat out calling him racist now which is also wrong.

• Like 4

ladyandlion

Wow...for crying out loud.

I think the uniform is a little too reminiscent (and I think it's also because a lot of stuff is based off of the Nazi uniforms. They were designed by Hugo Boss to look a certain way, so I think a lot of media references it, indirectly obviously, and usually to depict villains...I'm thinking Star Wars.)

All the same...regardless of whether it resembles a Nazi uniform or not, his typical behavior of blocking people who offer calm critique is so irritating. And it's rather pathetic on top of it, especially how he goes on and on and on about "The Entitled".  How 'bout come down and stop throwing your weird victim complex around for one lousy second just to hear out customers who are doing you a favor by bringing it up in order to help improve your brand and reputation...but I know already that most of his fans and followers are too addicted to his public persona to use any critical thinking, and of course it doesn't help that he swiftly blocks people the minute they say something. I can't imagine how he functions if he's personally trolling the comments in his posts to sweep away the "undesirables"...or does he pay someone do to that....either way, BIG YIKES.

• Like 3

Oculae
11 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

The regular one has the same red band too. 

Oh my god it does. I didn't even notice. 😱

Well, never mind on that one, then....it wasn't my girl's style to begin with, but I just can't even consider it anymore.

monkeypizzasonic

I'm mostly just annoyed because even if the red armband thing is still popular/used without the same context in Japan, he KNOWS that most of his audience/customers are in the West and are automatically going to connect this with something else and he did it anyway.

On the other hand, Nazi imagery being used for bad guys is normal; the Empire/Imperials in Star Wars use a lot of it. So using Nazi aesthetic as inspiration for your space baddies isn't too much out there.

On the other other hand, the "space marines" thing is not an actual show, it's a concept/theme that only exists in his weird Instagram stories, so if someone unfamiliar with SmD saw that post they would probably assume the worst. Like "why are they marketing their fashion doll (that they keep advertising to children) as a Nazi?" If he like made an actual show or only had this as concept art on something that wasn't one of his dolls it would maybe be more acceptable. But he did not.  

• Like 5

monkeypizzasonic

(I feel like I should be more annoyed because I'm half-Jewish, but I'm tired today and I'm just so used to him doing this shit by now that it barely even phases me anymore. Like "of course he's subtly comparing his haters to Space Nazi's today, yep, that's what we're doing now." And I could go on a big rant about Star Wars nerdery and how he probably thinks of like Volks/other companies/his haters as the Empire and himself/SmD as the Rebellion when it's more like we're all in a Galactic Senate just trying to do our own thing and he's that one senator who keeps insulting/offending everyone else and gets pissy if you call him out on it and the Smart Dolls/the rest of his employees/his followers just live on his planet and have to put up with having a leader that makes them all look bad...)

(...Okay I guess that was my rant.)

...Looks at post...OH WAIT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO BE THE GOOD GUYS UNIFORMS? OKAY HE'S DEFINETLY AN IMPERIAL* SYMPATHIZER WTF.

(*I MEAN sTAR wARS AGAIN, NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT ACTUAL POLITICS.)

Edited by monkeypizzasonic

monkeypizzasonic

Okay, in conclusion, DC is not a Nazi, he just a guy who likes Star Wars and space uniforms too much and who doesn't always think through the implications of the stuff he makes and then when called out on that stuff doubles down on it and gets mad that people "misinterpreted" his idea or whatever instead of actually admitting that he maybe did a bit of a dumb.

okay now im done

Geck_O

Not to conspiracy post, but I went back and looked at alot of the old photos of the uniform and almost all of them have the armband hidden by the cape/hair/pose. Do you think they noticed the similarity and have been trying to obscure it to prevent a re design due to backlash, which would then cost more time and money?

• Like 2

scorps
48 minutes ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

Okay, in conclusion, DC is not a Nazi, he just a dumb bitch who likes Star Wars and space uniforms too much and who doesn't always think through the implications of the stuff he makes and then when called out on that stuff doubles down on it and gets madge that people "misinterpreted" his idea or whatever instead of actually admitting that he maybe did a bit of a dumb.

okay now im done

Doubling down on it when politely being called out about the implications instead of rethinking the design does make him a little bit Nazi.

• Like 4