Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
deinosor

Switching hands on Parabox 47cm girl

deinosor

I have Googled this endlessly and feel like this is crazy obvious and I should be able to do it, but it's defeating me. I'm swapping out one hand on my Parabox 47cm girl. I got the old hand off after a lot of soaking in warm water and mighty pulling. But I've spent two days now trying to get the new hand onto the wrist piece and it just. won't. go. I've been soaking the vinyl in just-off-the-boil water for 10-15 mins before trying - is that long enough? Is a hair dryer significantly better for heating up the vinyl? Is there a trick I'm missing? I mean, these dolls have hands, so it must be possible...

Pronouns: she/her

K-2

Is this an old Parabox 47cm, which uses 55/60cm parts or is this a newer Parabox 47cm, which uses 48/50cm parts?

Which hand are you trying to put on (fist, grabbing, flat hand, etc.)?

Some of the hands, particularly the older 55/60cm hands, have smaller than normal openings and are difficult to put on the wrist part. A little trimming on the inside of the opening can easy assembly.

To answer another question I submerged some vinyl in a rolling boil for over 10 minutes without any issues. It softened up nicely without deforming. So I'd say go ahead and ratchet your heat up a bit.

I prefer hair dryer heating to boiling water heating. With hands, once you put the hand on the wrist part there may still be water inside. With the hand sealed to the wrist part this water won't dry rapidly and could possibly stimulate mold growth from debris (skin flakes, etc.) already inside the hand.

With my 40-50cms I bought wrist parts for all my option hands so switching hands is fast and easy. Pulling the wrist part out of the arm and reinserting them is a breeze, much easier than removing the hand from the wrist part.

MVSig.jpg

deinosor

That's so helpful just to know that I can get away with boiling vinyl parts, thank you! I found heaps of advice on using hot water and not much about how hot it could safely be. Being newish to vinyl it's so useful to have tips on roughly how much abuse it can take. Good point about not wanting to seal water inside the hand also.

It's her standard open hand I'm putting back on - I'm her second owner and the previous person had switched one of them out. And now I come to compare the two hands, the hand that was on before looks like it has been trimmed around the opening, so I will be a bit bolder with that as well.

Pronouns: she/her