Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Yumeiro

Head / mouth mod

Yumeiro

Ok, stupid question..?

Is there a specific reason as to why DDH-01 is so common customize-wise?
I mean, is the head better than any of the others, if you want to remove the mouth? Or would (almost) any sculpt work for complete mouth-removal?

cfx

Seeing as this hasn't been answered, I'll take a stab at it:

I don't have a DDH-01 to be certain, but from pictures I believe it's a fairly flat face, which makes the mouth easier to remove by just sanding it down. it also makes having a mouth that is just painted on rather than sculpted look fine, whereas that wouldn't on a head that is much more three-dimensional in profile. Of course there's also the ones with opened and carved mouths, but with other heads that's about the only way they tend to be modded.

I don't know if that's the reason it's done so much though. It might be something else, such as the fact it was the only child-like standard head Volks had so in order to make dolls that look different mods were more necessary than on other heads.

• Like 1

Monty

It's cos when you flatten it, it's the most 'chibi' looking head and thus works great for MDD. Despite the popularity of custom MDDs there really arent that many heads that suit the body, but the custom DDH01 is extremely versatile and can basically have any kind of expression due to the mouth being painted on. Volks have even answered this popularity with the DCH12 and DCH13 sculpts which are really just modded DDH01s, but those are still DreamChoice only. (They also have added DCh17 and DCH18 to increase the number of sculpts suitable for MDD, but again those are Dream Choice and D'Coord exlusive respectively. It would be nice if we could get more of the options online, because outside of those options most people outside Japan still only have DDH01 to work with for that specific cutesy MDD look)

I have actually seen mods with other sculpts like 10 and 6, but they are less common. (for 10 its usually to enlarge the eyes and reduce the pointiness of the chin, although some people try to reduce the chipmunkiness of the cheeks or flatten the mouth altogether) I have also seen mods on 4 that either flatten the mouth completely or make it an open-mouth, and sand down the chin to make it rounder and thus better suited to MDD. I once saw a Mikuru head on yahoo auctions that had the mouth sanded off.

Edited by Monty

Yumeiro
5 hours ago, cfx said:

I believe it's a fairly flat face, which makes the mouth easier to remove by just sanding it down
--whereas that wouldn't on a head that is much more three-dimensional in profile

It's been my theory as well.
So perhaps it is the ease of DDH-01, while the others would take more skill..?
Hm...

Noxxbunny
3 hours ago, Yumeiro said:

It's been my theory as well.
So perhaps it is the ease of DDH-01, while the others would take more skill..?
Hm...

I wouldn't necessarily say that's the case. I've done this mod to 01, 06, 07, and 10. 07 being the most difficult in that it was just harder to sand through for some reason than the others. It just doesn't take to sanding the way the others do. I've done it to 2 of them. The vinyl is maybe just thicker on that head for some reason. 10 being next in line for difficulty. But the hard part about 10 for me was reducing the puffiness of the eyes. Though I'd say it was less about skill and more just time consuming and less easy to sand in that area.

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)