Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

amarilian

choosing new vinyl bjd

amarilian

I'm thinking about getting another vinyl type bjd.  The issue is I'm trying to decide on which brand.

I have volks, but do not have a smart doll or an obitsu..

1. Volks vs smart doll vs obitsu

A. Good points 

B. Bad points     

i. do head joints last constantly taking them off. 

ii. Knee, elbow, ankle joints last.

C. Members that have different types can sound off a comparison... do these not stain as bad compared to volks, smart doll etc.  

Edited by amarilian

These are the dolls you're looking for, no you cannot haz them they r mine:)

darkangelxix
On 10/24/2019 at 1:54 AM, amarilian said:

I'm thinking about getting another vinyl type bjd.  The issue is I'm trying to decide on which brand.

I have volks, but do not have a smart doll or an obitsu..

1. Volks vs smart doll vs obitsu

A. Good points 

B. Bad points     

i. do head joints last constantly taking them off. 

ii. Knee, elbow, ankle joints last.

C. Members that have different types can sound off a comparison... do these not stain as bad compared to volks, smart doll etc.  

Bump! I am really interested in this as well. I was about to post a similar question. What are the pros and cons of owning each doll?

Tierparkzone

Okay, here's a short rundown.

In general, every brand has some advantages over the others, which means there are no clear winners here. Unless one of the points stated below is either very important or a deal breaker for you, I'd say, go with a doll you like the whole package of - no matter the manufacturer. Especially if you're just entering the hobby, this way you'll have a complete doll to start out with and can customize as desired later.

Smart Doll

+ great body aesthetics (looks good in form fitting or revealing clothing)

+ superior upper torso and neck mobility

+ easy to change hands

+ default hands fairly versatile

+ socket and included telescopic stand allow for stable posing out of the box

+ big selection of available dolls

- limited leg mobility (hip and knee allow for only about 90 degrees of bending)

- socket for stands at the back may be an aesthetic issue for some

- heads are slightly smaller than DD - so most non Smart Doll wigs tend to sit a bit loose (and currently there are no Smart Doll wigs available separately)

- limited body options (no variants except different bust sizes - and a rarely available boy body)

- body is not really intended to be disassembled (except for head, arms, bust)

DD-f3

+ good leg mobility

+ easy to change hands

+ lots of body options (from MMD to DDdy - many with several bust sizes; boy bodies also exist but are harder to come by)

+ disassembly, modification by the user is intended (albeit a bit tedious)

+ parts for replacement/customization are easily available

- somewhat limited upper torso and neck mobility (the vinyl shell pushes some poses back into default position)

- upper thighs (modeled for poseability) and torso seam may appear a bit odd in revealing clothing (not DDdy)

- lineup of easily available dolls (standard models) is limited

- default hands that come with your doll may be of limited use (my dream choice came with fist hands); prepare to get a separate set of hands (EDIT: This seems to apply only to Dollfie Dream Sister)

- while perfectly able to stand on their own, you'll need a stand for bump- or (light) earthquake proofing

Obitsu (this is mostly in regard to my soft skin Angel Philia - depending on the vinyl shell, your mileage may vary)

+ superior leg mobility

+ several options for body types with shells from different brands (Obitsu, Angel Philia, Azone, ...)

+ option for magnetic feet (default for some) is a decent alternative to a stand (when not wearing shoes)

+ parts for replacement/customization somewhat easily available

+ easy to disassemble

+ decent lineup of somewhat easily available dolls

- one less degree of freedom in hand movement (can be forced by rotation around the hand attachment bit)

- need a hairdryer to change hands (or get an extra wrist part for each hand)

- separate kneecaps and elbows may be an aesthetic issue for some

- are 50cm scale, so may look out of scale next to DDs or Smart Dolls (not an issue if you use a bigger head like the obitsu 50-04 - then they're similar to DDP)

- except for Azone, not too many companies doing clothing this size

Staining:

In my experience the harder parts of the Smart Doll shell are a bit more resistant to staining. The softer parts (bust, hands) are about the same as DD and Obitsu.

Joints:

I didn't have joint related issues with any of my dolls as of yet and all appear to be sturdy enough for lots of posing. Regarding head removal, they also hold up well until now. However: Obitsu use a separate neck connector piece, so removal is easiest and does not put any extra stress on the head.

Thats's all I can think of for now...

Edited by Tierparkzone
  • Like 2

Monty

default hands that come with your doll may be of limited use (my dream choice came with fist hands); prepare to get a separate set of hands

This is something that only happens with DDS (Dollfie Dream Sister) and I’m still not sure why this is. Every other DD comes with the standard neutral hands, but for whatever reason a DDS body and a lot of the licensed character dolls on DDS bodies come with the fists. I didn’t even know this until recently because even though my first DD was Kagamine Rin, a DDS, she actually comes with the holding hands (with yellow painted nails) in order to hold the mic she comes with. Since Dream Choice uses the stock bodies, it makes sense that the DDS ones would have fists, but it still doesn’t make sense to me why the DDS comes with fists and no one else does... that said, I think option hands are a vital point of enjoying photography so I don’t really think it’s a minus to need to buy more, especially cos the fist hands are so cute. I consider it more of a minus when I can’t buy option hands lol.

Anyway, as for my own opinions on differences...

A lot of this is due to individual preference but I personally think one of the main minuses of smartdoll is that there isn’t really a ton of variety in facial sculpts. There’s only a handful of molds (each with a bunch of different faceups) whereas DD has well over 100 (mostly due to being around longer) and more standard sculpts alone than what SmD has total. Obviously not all sculpts are readily available at Volks at all times, but there’s the secondhand market for that too. 

As for the quality of the sculpts themselves, that’s also invidious preference but I personally do not like the facial sculpting of smartdolls. They’re purposefully designed to be easily photographable from the front with minimal to no shadows cast from facial contours, and it achieves this by making the plane of the face extremely flat. Which is fine if that’s what you want, and the lack of dealing with contour shadows probably does make them easier to photograph for people new to dolls and toy photography (especially in low light) but any other angle looks bizarre because of it (there is a reason all the official photos on the website only show the dolls front-on, and I was a little shocked when I saw the side profile of one of the semi-real girls). Personal preference, but I prefer the sculpted contours on a typical DD sculpt and getting different moods from different angles.

With my experience with owning a smartdoll and also the experiences of others I’ve noted over the years on here and across social media I can also say that smartdolls are not as durable as DDs and definitely break a lot easier, which is kind of a pain considering how the spare parts aren’t as easily available. The main culprit almost always seems to be where the spine connects to the waist joint (also where mine broke without even doing anything adventurous with the posing) which can snap. I don’t know if this is just a problem with how the spine is constructed and affects all the dolls or if there are just ‘bad’ batches because I’ve seen people who take their smartdolls with them travelling everywhere and never have an issue, whereas a lot of the reported breakages happened for seemingly no reason on dolls that stay at home on shelves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tierparkzone
1 hour ago, Monty said:

This is something that only happens with DDS (Dollfie Dream Sister) and I’m still not sure why this is. Every other DD comes with the standard neutral hands, but for whatever reason a DDS body and a lot of the licensed character dolls on DDS bodies come with the fists. I didn’t even know this until recently because even though my first DD was Kagamine Rin, a DDS, she actually comes with the holding hands (with yellow painted nails) in order to hold the mic she comes with. Since Dream Choice uses the stock bodies, it makes sense that the DDS ones would have fists, but it still doesn’t make sense to me why the DDS comes with fists and no one else does... that said, I think option hands are a vital point of enjoying photography so I don’t really think it’s a minus to need to buy more, especially cos the fist hands are so cute. I consider it more of a minus when I can’t buy option hands lol.

Thank you, this explains a lot.

I agree that eventually getting extra hands is a big part of the hobby, but the Dream Choice DDS was my first Dollfie. After unpacking her at home and realizing she came with fists - then having to go get extra hands right away to be able to do more natural poses was a bit annoying... Especially as, if I knew that beforehand, I could have picked up the extra hands together with the doll.

The standard hands that come with Smart Dolls and apparently non-DDS Dollfie Dreams are just more versatile. So if you don't already have a stash of hands, you can already play around a lot more before deciding what other hands to get.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

With my experience with owning a smartdoll and also the experiences of others I’ve noted over the years on here and across social media I can also say that smartdolls are not as durable as DDs and definitely break a lot easier, which is kind of a pain considering how the spare parts aren’t as easily available. The main culprit almost always seems to be where the spine connects to the waist joint (also where mine broke without even doing anything adventurous with the posing) which can snap. I don’t know if this is just a problem with how the spine is constructed and affects all the dolls or if there are just ‘bad’ batches because I’ve seen people who take their smartdolls with them travelling everywhere and never have an issue, whereas a lot of the reported breakages happened for seemingly no reason on dolls that stay at home on shelves.

That is an interesting point. My oldest Smartdolls so far have survived nearly 2.5 years of lots of posing and redressing. - Makes me wonder if this is something I'll have to deal with in the future.

Could this be an issue that has been fixed with a later iteration of the frame? Depends on when the Smart Dolls with this issue have been bought...

Gabihime

I thought I’d come and weigh in too, mainly concerning DD and Obitsu50, since that’s what I own.  I could also talk about vindolls, because I absolutely love them, but I’m assuming this is about female dolls.  If somebody wants me to talk about male vinyl dolls, I am ready to!

I’ve owned Dollfie Dreams for over ten years.  I own every major size except DDP, and I own custom dolls, character dolls, and hybrid dolls.  I love DDs.  They have an awesome assortment of sizes and skin colors now, especially if you take advantage of the Dream Choice system, and the price for a DC doll is very reasonable, even factoring in a deputy.  There are also lots and lots of beautiful clothes made by Volks, new sets each month, which makes it easy to build up a substantial wardrobe.  Many other doll clothing makers also make clothing for DD, including Doll House, Air Castle, MV Studio, and others.  

There is also a substantial customization scene both in Japan and abroad, so it’s possible to get something absolutely unique, or build it to your own exact specifications.  The fact that customization is expected and encouraged in the Japanese doll community is one of the reasons I find myself so at home there.

There is a large range of small batch custom parts, including eyes, heads, busts, hands, feet, and other parts, if you know where to look for them.

Dollfie Dreams blow it out of the water with the number and quality of the head sculpts available, both officially from Volks, and as after market customizations.

Even on my Obitsu50 frame bodies, I generally have Dollfie Dream heads on them, or heads intended for DD bodies (Dollce, SQLabs).

I love Dollfie Dreams.  I feel like engaging with them really is like opening the doors to your dreams, where anything you imagine is possible.

Now for obitsu50!  I ALSO LOVE THESE.  I own an Angel Philia type H in Super Whitey, an Obitsu50 with a Dollypop three part torso, and an VMF50 Miu in brown, who has a type B body (muscles!).

I am a person who loves body sculpts.  A lot of the time my dolls stand around naked, despite their giant wardrobes, just so I can admire the lines of their bodies.  That means that body aesthetics are important to me.  That’s one of the reasons I got into Dollfie Dreams in the first place.  Even though the poseability of Obitsu dolls was excellent, I wasn’t a huge fan of their vinyl shells.  I liked the vinyl shells of DDs much better, even if the interior armature wasn’t as good out of the box.

But, as time progressed, other companies began making different vinyl shell pieces for the 50/48 frame.  VMF50/AngelPhilia/PinkDrops are all the same maker/creator, and the choice for vinyl shells from them alone is staggering, and they’re all beautifully detailed and all can be mixed and matched, with a little bit of modification (some work fine just out of the box.  It’s just related to how wide the chest piece opening is.)

Dollypop, which offers the options for a three piece torso, and has their own full complement of hip, chest, belly, and thigh pieces, are also beautifully sculpted and detailed.  With the three piece torso on, a stock Obitsu frame can do some seriously insane things.

The magnet feet are also very appealing and useful, to the point where I now pry apart feet and load them with magnets on all my dolls, Vindoll and Volks included.  Especially useful since so many of my dolls are naked and barefoot all the time simply because I like looking at them.

For me, I ultimately reach peak happiness with the ultimate customizability that comes from hybrid dolls.  My most precious doll is my Gabriel, who is currently a DD Mariko head on an Angel Philia type H body in super whitey.  She is just how I want her to be.  The next doll I’m working to complete is an SQLabs Haruka on a VMF50 B body in brown.   These girls look absolutely at home with my other DDs (and the rest of my dolls) which is important to me as well.

They can also take advantage of the staggering amount of really cute casual clothes that Azone makes for their 50 cm doll line.

There are various reasons I decided against smartdoll completely, but a major one was the head sculpts.  Once I saw heads without wigs from multiple angles, I found I did not like them at all.  Although the dark skin options of smart doll are appealing, the lack of different body sizes and the head sculpts x-ed them off the list.  After all, I can always dye or paint a vinyl shell to the skin color I want, but I can’t do much with a body or head shape I don’t particularly like, especially as customization/hybrids are not encouraged in the SMD ecosystem.

Also!  I have a very early DDS, the first of the revised DDS frames, DDS Mariko, White Skin.  I can confirm that she also came with rocks.  I think that possibly all the DDS coming with rocks may be an artifact of Mariko, since she was featured with rocks heavily in her promo images.  Even now I basically always keep at least one rock on Gabriel on her AP body just for old times sake.  I do find rocks very versatile myself, but that’s probably also because of my doll styling and her character, which is young aristocrat lady.

TLDR: 1. Buy the head you want.  2. Buy the body you want.  3. Stick them together. 4. Happiness.

Edited by Gabihime
TLDR

Meowjima

I can speak for Smart Dolls, but not obitsus, unfortunately.  I do like the dolls, even if my opinions about the creator are a little..... on the fence.  I know a lot of people go through buying second-hand or through the one ~official~ dealer for his dolls.  My first vinyl doll was a Smart Doll, though honestly, I really prefer a lot of things about Volks' dolls more.

The heads come off and on a lot easier, and I've never had issues?  I know with all the neck-pe cracking stories about DDs coming out recently, I'e been paranoid, but as someone who always takes heads off before applying wigs to my SmDs, they're still lasting after several years.

Now, it's the joints that seem to be a bigger issue for a lot of people.  The internal frame of Smart Dolls is a lot thinner than Dollfie Dreams.  Also, if you crack or break ANYTHING on a Smart Doll, you will have to e-mail the company and see if they are willing to sell you a replacement part, and/or purchase chaos parts and hope for the best.  Keep in mind if you can't pass the Smart Doll "purity" test, you can't do either of these things.  So, not being able to buy replacement prts as easily as you can through VOLKS is a huge, huge downside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

darkangelxix
1 hour ago, Meowjima said:

I can speak for Smart Dolls, but not obitsus, unfortunately.  I do like the dolls, even if my opinions about the creator are a little..... on the fence.  I know a lot of people go through buying second-hand or through the one ~official~ dealer for his dolls.  My first vinyl doll was a Smart Doll, though honestly, I really prefer a lot of things about Volks' dolls more.

The heads come off and on a lot easier, and I've never had issues?  I know with all the neck-pe cracking stories about DDs coming out recently, I'e been paranoid, but as someone who always takes heads off before applying wigs to my SmDs, they're still lasting after several years.

Now, it's the joints that seem to be a bigger issue for a lot of people.  The internal frame of Smart Dolls is a lot thinner than Dollfie Dreams.  Also, if you crack or break ANYTHING on a Smart Doll, you will have to e-mail the company and see if they are willing to sell you a replacement part, and/or purchase chaos parts and hope for the best.  Keep in mind if you can't pass the Smart Doll "purity" test, you can't do either of these things.  So, not being able to buy replacement prts as easily as you can through VOLKS is a huge, huge downside.

Well I could not decide on one brand, because I like both smart dolls and dollfie dreams because they both have good qualities, so I got one of each! I have ordered my first smart doll from culture Japan and I got a dollfie dream from eBay. 

As far as replacement parts for smart dolls, it is stated in their web side, that as long as you have bought the doll from them or form Fabric Friends and dolls that is an official retailer, the first two replacements that you will require will be sent to you for free. Although this warranty lasts for a year. After that it is stated that they will send you the part that you will require and instead of paying for it, you can buy clothes for your doll that have the same value as the part that you require. So in reality you are getting goodies for your dolly and the part you need is given to you as a gift.

Meowjima
6 minutes ago, darkangelxix said:

Well I could not decide on one brand, because I like both smart dolls and dollfie dreams because they both have good qualities, so I got one of each! I have ordered my first smart doll from culture Japan and I got a dollfie dream from eBay. 

As far as replacement parts for smart dolls, it is stated in their web side, that as long as you have bought the doll from them or form Fabric Friends and dolls that is an official retailer, the first two replacements that you will require will be sent to you for free. Although this warranty lasts for a year. After that it is stated that they will send you the part that you will require and instead of paying for it, you can buy clothes for your doll that have the same value as the part that you require. So in reality you are getting goodies for your dolly and the part you need is given to you as a gift.

Honestly, that..... sounds more scrupulous than anything.  Why not just sell the part directly?  Obitsu does it, Parabox does it, Volks does it.

The purity test is kind of trash and that, in addition to accessibility of replacement parts are two factors that have managed to ward off a lot of the older fans, as well as a lot of perspective ones.  There's also a whole market of second-hand buyers who are stuck hoping and praying that someone might have the part they need just lying around, and now you get to add to that demographic the people who owned milk dolls, and I mean, technically, old Cocoa.

• Like 1

darkangelxix
6 minutes ago, Meowjima said:

Honestly, that..... sounds more scrupulous than anything.  Why not just sell the part directly?  Obitsu does it, Parabox does it, Volks does it.

The purity test is kind of trash and that, in addition to accessibility of replacement parts are two factors that have managed to ward off a lot of the older fans, as well as a lot of perspective ones.  There's also a whole market of second-hand buyers who are stuck hoping and praying that someone might have the part they need just lying around, and now you get to add to that demographic the people who owned milk dolls, and I mean, technically, old Cocoa.

I cannot disagree that this is a problem.  It also kills the secondary market. Maybe it is a smart marketing technique, making people buy their dolls brand new and not from the secondary market. On the other someone could come up with the idea to sell their doll for parts instead of selling it as an entire doll. Who knows, maybe it will be profitable. 

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, Meowjima said:

Keep in mind if you can't pass the Smart Doll "purity" test, you can't do either of these things.  So, not being able to buy replacement prts as easily as you can through VOLKS is a huge, huge downside.

That right there is an excellent reason not to give $500 to CJ for a doll. If you have to pass a purity test to use your warranty, the risk / reward analysis skews to terrible. 

You would think that they would fix the design too. I mean Volks has had 4 major frame revisions with DD, and at least one minor one to correct issues with the DDIII. By contrast, SmartDoll frame upgrades / improvements seem to come from third party sellers. 

Volks is actively regularly updating their SD bodies too. 

I like the look of SmartDolls and the clothing is nice too, but Volks hands down wins as a company/brand. 

1 hour ago, darkangelxix said:

I like both smart dolls and dollfie dreams because they both have good qualities

Totally fine to like one or the other, or like both. 

1 hour ago, darkangelxix said:

and I got a dollfie dream from eBay.

eBay has terrible markups for DD and SmD items. On top of that, I suspect some sellers are just proxy buying the doll from the Japanese market, shipping it to you, and pocketing hundreds of dollars for the service. I purchased a few dolls on eBay, including my favorite DD Makoto Kikuchi who I absolutely love, but I’ll never buy a doll at eBay prices again.

I highly recommend learning to use Mandarake and Yahoo! Japan Auctions. It will save you $$$ on dolls. You need a proxy for Yahoo Japan, but the large proxies for that are serious commercial firms, so you can buy safely through them. Mandarake is really good about showing the condition of used dolls in their listing. 

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

MrFjmg03

My recommendation would be Obitsu. Those dolls pose AMAZING better that DD volks, and better than smart dolls. I had own obitsu and I currently own DD and one smartdoll (I used to have two). To me Obitsu is at the top with their possibilities and for such a low price. They are way better than Smart Dolls and Dollfie Dreams (even with all the updated skeleton versions they have). The only thing I don’t like about Obitsu is that their sculpts are to child like for my taste. But now I own 4 Angelphilias girls and they have the Obitsu skeleton frame and they are AMAZING. They stand on their own even with the high heel feel on and the HUGE bust. They also have more cute sculpts that are not very child like or mature. Plus a beautiful tan vinyl color. So that could be another option.

Edited by MrFjmg03

darkangelxix
11 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

That right there is an excellent reason not to give $500 to CJ for a doll. If you have to pass a purity test to use your warranty, the risk / reward analysis skews to terrible. 

You would think that they would fix the design too. I mean Volks has had 4 major frame revisions with DD, and at least one minor one to correct issues with the DDIII. By contrast, SmartDoll frame upgrades / improvements seem to come from third party sellers. 

Volks is actively regularly updating their SD bodies too. 

I like the look of SmartDolls and the clothing is nice too, but Volks hands down wins as a company/brand. 

Totally fine to like one or the other, or like both. 

eBay has terrible markups for DD and SmD items. On top of that, I suspect some sellers are just proxy buying the doll from the Japanese market, shipping it to you, and pocketing hundreds of dollars for the service. I purchased a few dolls on eBay, including my favorite DD Makoto Kikuchi who I absolutely love, but I’ll never buy a doll at eBay prices again.

I highly recommend learning to use Mandarake and Yahoo! Japan Auctions. It will save you $$$ on dolls. You need a proxy for Yahoo Japan, but the large proxies for that are serious commercial firms, so you can buy safely through them. Mandarake is really good about showing the condition of used dolls in their listing. 

Yes, I know about Mandarake! I found out about in this forum 😊 I also know that eBay has a terrible price mark up, but I did the math and actually what I bought was a bargain. I got a Sakura Amamiya in brand new, unopened condition for 577 euros plus shipping. This doll retails for the same amount of money at volks currently, but my doll will be shipped to me from France and I will not be hit by custom fees and taxes, while if I buy the doll from volks or mandarake, I will get hit by 24% import tax plus the custom fees. So in this case eBay was a good place to buy and if the listing was not accurate and the doll is not mint, I will file a claim!

Anyway, I am wandering what is the Smart Doll purity test that you keep mentioning. I thought that I had understood you correctly the first time, but you keep mentioning it and I am having doubts. What I understand as a purity test, is the fact that they require you to provide the email address that you used in your smart doll order, in order for them to provide you with the replacement part. I did not read any other kind of requirements. I also said that this is indeed a problem for people who have bought their dolls second hand. One way around it, is to have the original owner help, but this is possible only under certain conditions. The other way is if people are willing to sell their dolls for parts, which sounds terrible 😱 but it has potential, since the doll might actually be sold faster and it may actually make a profit.

I guess that when Cultures Japan thought of this method for getting replacement parts, they assumed that you will buy the doll from them or their official retailers and keep it for ever. To be fair, unless you leave the hobby or need the money desperately, there is no reason to sell a Smart Doll. If you got bored of her, send her for a new face up, or sell her for parts 😱. If anything gets damaged, just contact them, buy some new clothes for her and also get the part you need. I do understand that with volks dolls this is way easier, it doesn’t matter from where you bought the doll, you just buy the parts you need no questions asked. No extra clothes though.

To be fair, the only real thing that bothers me about smart dolls is their limited leg mobility. However I don’t know how much it bothers me, since none of my dolls are home yet. I am also worried about the second hand market for smart dolls when it’s time to say goodbye to the doll. I know I keep saying that people can sell their doll for parts, but when I think of my doll missing a leg and an arm this is what comes to mind 😱😨😰🥶😭.

Anyway I am prepared to love them both.

• Like 1

BeyondTime
7 hours ago, darkangelxix said:

Anyway, I am wandering what is the Smart Doll purity test that you keep mentioning.

CJ has a reputation for rejecting sales to customers who plan to use their clothing on dolls other than SmartDolls, and to people who post comments about the products on social media that Danny doesn’t like. Often these seem to be people who received a product that was damaged or otherwise defective, and they posted about it. He’s a bit like Elon Musk, brilliant, but he’s got a thin skin and lashes out. 

Check the Facebook Debacle thread for examples.

We’ve had a few people change their forum name just because they were afraid Danny would use their username to track them down on other social media where he could get their email and then cancel their orders. 

7 hours ago, darkangelxix said:

To be fair, the only real thing that bothers me about smart dolls is their limited leg mobility.

There are third party vendors who sell improved mobility frames.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

darkangelxix
46 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

CJ has a reputation for rejecting sales to customers who plan to use their clothing on dolls other than SmartDolls, and to people who post comments about the products on social media that Danny doesn’t like. Often these seem to be people who received a product that was damaged or otherwise defective, and they posted about it. He’s a bit like Elon Musk, brilliant, but he’s got a thin skin and lashes out. 

Check the Facebook Debacle thread for examples.

We’ve had a few people change their forum name just because they were afraid Danny would use their username to track them down on other social media where he could get their email and then cancel their orders. 

There are third party vendors who sell improved mobility frames.

Omg that doesn’t sound nice. I hope and wish that this never happens to me. I know it sounds selfish, I am sorry. To be honest I hope that this won’t happen ever again because it is bad for both parties. Culture Japan and the buyers. 

Meowjima
2 hours ago, darkangelxix said:

Omg that doesn’t sound nice. I hope and wish that this never happens to me. I know it sounds selfish, I am sorry. To be honest I hope that this won’t happen ever again because it is bad for both parties. Culture Japan and the buyers. 

The Facebook thread is pretty informative, and a lot of it is legitimate constructive criticism/experiences.  It also exposes the uglier side of ~Smart Doll Land~, or scrapes the tip.  But by no means, don't read stuff here/on that thread and be scared off by the company/product.

I've bought both second-hand and new from store.  In fact, my last purchase was directly from CJ, and even I was a little afraid of having my order cancelled, because I've listed criticisms about the company and have more or less promoted using Dollfie parts as on SmD and vice versa.  But there was..... nothing.  I think that maybe there has been an effect of all of the backlash, albeit in small increments, as his doll descriptions have also stopped turning into rants about haters and he does seem to be trying to improve things.  

I just wish he would sell loose/spare body parts to anyone.  Especially now with a sudden boom in custom SmDs and the fact he has actively endorsed customizations/mods for quite some time (which really confuses me about the furor over wiping a company face-up, lol.  Danny doesn't care, why should they?)  And if they're not a recorded previous owner, just send them an email making them aware clothes/wigs/etc. might not fit a non-Smart Doll and he's not responsible if they don't and they still want to continue with the order.  That's supposedly the whole reason the purity test exists anyway.

Edited by Meowjima

BeyondTime
12 minutes ago, Meowjima said:

That's supposedly the whole reason the purity test exists anyway.

Some of their clothing is fine on a DD. Their low rise short pants are some of the nicest shorts out there for DDS. Their long legged pants are several inches too long for DD, so I could totally see someone who ordered those for a DD being unhappy. As you said though, he could just put up a disclaimer or send an email that says “buy at your own risk, no returns if you ignore this warning and hate the fit.” 

• Like 1

Meowjima
3 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Some of their clothing is fine on a DD. Their low rise short pants are some of the nicest shorts out there for DDS. Their long legged pants are several inches too long for DD, so I could totally see someone who ordered those for a DD being unhappy. As you said though, he could just put up a disclaimer or send an email that says “buy at your own risk, no returns if you ignore this warning and hate the fit.” 

oh man, the jeans are some of the best fitting pair i've bought for one of my resin boys

BeyondTime
17 minutes ago, Meowjima said:

the jeans are some of the best fitting pair i've bought for one of my resin boys

That’s how I feel about the shorts, they fit DDS like a pair of Daisy Dukes, they’re well made, and Makoto wore them for months with no stains. His stuff can be great for other dolls as long as you know exactly what you are buying. The tops are a lot more flexible as far as fits go IMO. 

Galvatim
7 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I'd say SmD jeans work just as well on SmD girls as on DDF-3.  

51015076272_c39f027c41.jpg

Kizuna needs heels, otherwise she's walking on her pants.  

51014260903_357578f804.jpg

Natsuki also needs heels to avoid wrecking her hems.   Sorry, too lazy to find shoes with the same heel height tonight.  

• Like 1

amarilian

Update.  Thank you for all the comments.  In the end I decided to go with Smart doll.  Smart doll offered Kanata in semi real a doll I was hoping they would make since 2014, so theres that. know to find some smart doll fit clothing 

These are the dolls you're looking for, no you cannot haz them they r mine:)

Oculae

Smart Dolls have had a few clothing stores pop up on Etsy specifically for them, and Danny has also released a lot of free sewing patterns over the years that you can use if you're crafty.... but honestly, they're 1/3 SD sized dolls. Lots of clothing intended for 60cm dolls specifically will fit them, it's just that it may be missing a good place to slip the stand in somewhere.

All the official stuff and stuff made with Smart Doll specifically in mind will be cut to allow the stand access to the body, in the case of 2 piece items like t shirts and jeans, or will have a buttonhole sewn in where the stand would go that does the same thing in the case of 1 piece items like bodysuits and dresses. I've had no troubles making the stand work without these things, though. My Smart Dolls use a lot of Volks and third party clothing, and if it's a dress, I can usually just slide the stand under the dress and attach it that way.

All you really have to watch out for is making sure the clothes actually fit 60cm 1/3s (no Uncle, no 75cm, no SD13 Boy or SD16 anything, etc...) and making sure that it's not tailored too tightly for a non-Smart Doll. Volks and third party makers like making their clothes fit a wide variety of their dolls, so I only really have to worry about that last point if it's a really form-fitting outfit intended for a licensed DD or something like that. But since SmD limbs are so thin, even that's usually fine.

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

BeyondTime
9 hours ago, amarilian said:

know to find some smart doll fit clothing 

There are some Taobao reseller that will custom fit outfits too, but as Oculae suggested, those won't have a hole for the stand. Personally, I wouldn't let that stop you from getting something you like. 

Tira
19 hours ago, amarilian said:

Update.  Thank you for all the comments.  In the end I decided to go with Smart doll.  Smart doll offered Kanata in semi real a doll I was hoping they would make since 2014, so theres that. know to find some smart doll fit clothing 

Etsy has a number of shops that sell Smart Doll sized clothes specifically. But as others have said, they will mostly fit into clothes sized for 1/3 scale/60cm/SD13 girls, in some cases better than a Dollfie Dream will. They may not fit into extremely tailored items made for a DD, especially if it's only listed as fitting smaller bust sizes, but those are fairly rare even from Volks.