Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Galvatim

Shin Sakura Taisen DD

cfx
42 minutes ago, foo said:

sakura-profile.jpg

Her face definitely isn't flat, there's a lot of distance from her eye sockets to her mouth and nose.

That's true, though I was referring to a different flatness as I'm not aware of any volks sculpts that are truly flat in that way unlike some other companies' sculpts. Flat might not even be the right word for it but I've seen someone else use it and I don't know what else to call it, other than something that sounds derogatory like "featureless."

What I was referring to is that in the profile, if you ignore the small bump of the nose--which is smaller than usual too, the rest of her face profile is a straight line from forehead to chin. Most Volks DD sculpts aren't like that to that same degree. I addition, her eyes are in line with that line of her face profile, which means she doesn't really have any cheek sculpting because otherwise the eyes would look tilted downward a bit.

That 3/4 view emphasizes that her jawline is low giving her a very squared-off face, or, I think it looks like she has mumps. That's kind of unusual for Serika Misaki sculpts, though a little more common these days as Towa and I think Ram are like that. It's much more common in Dr. Amano sculpts, who tend to all be like that and tend to have the same overall face shap; both previous Sakura Taisen DDs, M.O.M.O., etc. and I thought in this case maybe it was done to give her a family resemblance to the other ST dolls but who knows. I really really really dislike Erica Fontaine's sculpt so I have a bias here.

I don't know, maybe I'm completely off. There is something with more recent Volks sculpts though and this one seems like an extreme version of it. Compare Yuriko Nanao or Kaede to practically any other Idolmaster DD, and whatever that difference is, it's something I see in practically every new DD sculpt the past 2-3 years, whether it's those two dolls, the new standards like Karin and Towa, Rem/Ram, or Sailor Moon or Mercury. Of course there's an exception to everything, like Matoi who's very different and 2B and 9S who are based more on SD aesthetics.

Edited by cfx
added picture since post on new page
  • Like 1

foo
16 minutes ago, cfx said:

There is something with more recent Volks sculpts though and this one seems like an extreme version of it.

It seems to me if you look at Freyja onwards, Volks has brought the nose down closer to the mouth, and the mouths are smaller. I don't really see it with Kaede though. I guess a clear comparison is Miku vs. Gudako.

cfx
51 minutes ago, foo said:

It seems to me if you look at Freyja onwards, Volks has brought the nose down closer to the mouth, and the mouths are smaller. I don't really see it with Kaede though. I guess a clear comparison is Miku vs. Gudako.

That's certainly one aspect of it. I don't always consider it bad, Gudako looks cute. Sometimes the mouth also seems to be lowered where there is very little chin, and I find that almost never looks right to me; Kirito is one example of this.

The related thing with the noses is a lot of them now consist only of that little bump, with no bridge or just a hint of one, and in that case even if the nose isn't lowered, it looks like it is, and if the eyes are wider spaced as seems like is another common thing now, you end up with this sort of empty area in the middle where and the face looks spread out too much over the head. That's what I see with Kaede and Towa.

dark_dollies

She's available at Volksusa now! Has anyone pre-ordered her? Like a lot of the comments I'm still undecided. I like a lot about her face, not sure about her mouth/smile. I would really like to see more pictures. Her eyes are beautiful though!

solebria

I went ahead a pre-ordered her! I was a little doubtful to spend money on a character I don't know (although, I am hoping to play the new Sakura Wars this summer), but my initial intention was to customize her so I went ahead and jumped on her PO at VolksUSA. Once I receive her, I'll definitely take pictures of her.. since she doesn't seem like she was such a popular sculpt in comparison to Sailor Jupiter! 😅

• Like 1

dark_dollies

Ooh @solebria that is exciting! I've been looking at her and still thinking about it. I don't know her character either (haven't played the game). But I like her outfit a lot and I think I like her head for the most part. I have 2 days to decide lol.

• Like 1

dark_dollies

This pic from Volksusa is pushing me to take the plunge: 

She looks so sweet here, a bit different than in the official pics.

• Like 1

solebria

@dark_dollies Yes, I also really like her outfit and it is another reason why I got her! While I think her battle outfit is really pretty too, I like that we got her in the casual outfit since they would have probably chosen the same synthetic leather material like the original Sakura Wars battle costumes they use for (the other) Sakura and Erica, and based on the a few posts here, it is not doing well as the years go by. I would hate for her outfit to start falling apart over the time. 

• Like 1

BeyondTime

Volks has tweeted that there will be in person sales of Sakura Amamiya at Volks stores in Japan starting on 6/28.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

solebria

Just stalked twitter a bit in hopes to find some pictures of Sakura. The good news, by looking at some Sakura owner pictures, is that her wig is rather nice as her ahoge does go up rather well. She is also super cute btw!! The unfortunate news is that some of them have mentioned that her wig cap is black. Guess I'll either switch her wig or be very careful... 

Guess I'll have to wait until August to decide. @onion2@

dark_dollies

I ended up pre-ordering her from Volksusa! She'll be my first limited DD that I didn't have to find on the second-hand market. I still haven't seen many pix of her, but I'll keep looking (glad to hear she's super cute!) @solebria, I recently purchased a Volks protective wig cap to try for my dolls, but cannot keep it from sliding off when putting a wig on. I also have a silicone cap, and that stays on much better, but not sure what will happen if left on for a long time. 

BeyondTime
16 hours ago, dark_dollies said:

I recently purchased a Volks protective wig cap to try for my dolls, but cannot keep it from sliding off when putting a wig on.

I have that issue with the large cap and dolls with smaller heads, but not on dolls where the cap fits tightly.

16 hours ago, dark_dollies said:

I also have a silicone cap, and that stays on much better, but not sure what will happen if left on for a long time. 

Silicone caps are reputed to accelerate stains as opposed to protecting from them. You can put a cloth cap on, and put the silicone cap underneath it. I do that with Kos-Mos, who has a tiny head that needs a bit of bulking up to keep her default wig in place. Volks also makes a product called wig stopper that is basically a doll safe type of Velcro that you can cut a strip off of and put it on the head to hold the wig in place. It peels right off if you want to remove it.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

dark_dollies

Thanks for the info @BeyondTime! I think Yukino must have a smaller head (cloth cap seemed large for her). So I put on the silicone cap with cloth cap over it? I was trying the other way around and both were sliding off. I might have some wig stopper somewhere for my resin dolls, I'll give it a try with the cloth cap if I can find it.

BeyondTime
2 minutes ago, dark_dollies said:

I think Yukino must have a smaller head (cloth cap seemed large for her).

They come in small, medium, and large if I am remembering correctly.

I am pretty DD are all supposed to be large, and the smaller sizes are for smaller SD heads. The small one might be for YoSD, but that's way outside my experience range. I have a few large SDs, but none of the small ones.

Jezrah
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

They come in small, medium, and large if I am remembering correctly.

I am pretty DD are all supposed to be large, and the smaller sizes are for smaller SD heads. The small one might be for YoSD, but that's way outside my experience range. I have a few large SDs, but none of the small ones.

Yukino has one of the older heads, and it is a bit smaller than most of the more recent heads. I find that the Volks cloth cap is a bit big on her, and I prefer the one from Coolcat, because it has less excess fabric. The silicone cap will fit onto her head without sliding off, but it's not as tight as on other heads. I have had a silicone cap plus wig fall entirely off of my 03 girl when she fell over. However, her head is not so much smaller that a smaller size cap will fit.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

solebria

From experience, instead of using the L cloth cap (which is the one Volks designates to use for MDD, DDP, and DD) I use the M cloth cap (designated for MSD) and they fit perfectly on all my Dollfie Dreams heads without the excess fabric that the L cloth cap usually has. I stumbled upon this when I bought some M cloth caps for my resin bjds. When I received my first DD head, a custom painted DDH09, I grabbed one of the cloth caps thinking it was the L size I had bought for her... after putting the cloth cap with no trouble and her wig, I looked over the packaging materials to find that it was an M size. I did try to put her the L size later on which ended up fitting big and the excess could be seen after putting the wig. After this discovery I have used M cloth caps without any troubles on all of my DDs. Granted, I don't own many DDs to know if there is one DD with a bigger head that the M cloth cap doesn't fit, but so far I have a DDH06, DDH09, Sailor Moon, and Ranka and all of them are currently using an M size cloth cap with not trouble or the need to use a silicone cap. 

Edited by solebria
meant to say DDH09 instead of DDH07 *facepalm*

BeyondTime
4 minutes ago, solebria said:

I use the M cloth cap (designated for MSD) and they fit perfectly on all my Dollfie Dreams heads without the excess fabric that the L cloth cap usually has.

I bought one of those in error once, and found it fits just fine.

I'll hazard a guess that the L one is sized for DD and the 60cm SDs, which makes it a bit too big for DD.

6 minutes ago, solebria said:

Granted, I don't own many DDs to know if there is one DD with a bigger head that the M cloth cap doesn't fit

I haven't tried the M on Rin or Miku and their heads are pretty big.

dark_dollies

This is helpful, I'll try to pick up one or two M sized caps next time I order something from Volks (hopefully they'll be in stock). The L one did seem like it was meant for the rounder BJD heads.

• Like 1

solebria

Just noticed in my spam box that VolksUSA had sent a shipping notification a few days ago. What makes me excited is that, if her travel is a smooth one, she will arrive by my birthday haha. @onion24@

• Like 1

solebria

She arrived just right on my birthday and I couldn't be any happier! It is like a big (and expensive) birthday present to myself. 🥰

Image displays a white Dollfie Dream Box box with the display image of Sakura Amamiya.

As always, Volks official pictures didn't do any justice as she looks more beautiful in person. Her make-up is so, so lovely with the hint of pink and her face looks much fuller and dimensional than the official pictures suggested. Now I am debating whether I want to keep her as the character she represents, Sakura Amamiya, or eventually customize her as I originally intended... but as for the time being, she can be Sakura!

Image shows a closeup on the doll's face which is being displayed inside a box.

• Like 4

BeyondTime
29 minutes ago, solebria said:

As always, Volks official pictures didn't do any justice as she looks more beautiful in person.

Yeah, even through the plastic she looks better than in the promos.

This is making me even more excited for Venus; her face is beautiful in the promos. 

• Like 2

dark_dollies

Yay, happy birthday @solebria! She arrived today for me as well (even after a "mechanical delay" with UPS)! She really is pretty and vibrant. I'd been trying to check her out on IG to see owner pix since ordering her, as like you I wasn't 100% sure about the official pictures. But she's beautiful and can't believe she's finally here! 

• Thanks 1

solebria
4 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Yeah, even through the plastic she looks better than in the promos.

This is making me even more excited for Venus; her face is beautiful in the promos. 

I am also excited for Venus! Hoping the lottery gods are in my favor so I can also bring her home.

4 hours ago, dark_dollies said:

Yay, happy birthday @solebria! She arrived today for me as well (even after a "mechanical delay" with UPS)! She really is pretty and vibrant. I'd been trying to check her out on IG to see owner pix since ordering her, as like you I wasn't 100% sure about the official pictures. But she's beautiful and can't believe she's finally here! 

Thank you! I am glad to hear she arrived today for you as well and that you are happy to have her. Will you be customizing her or leaving her as Sakura? I am a bit curious hehe! 

dark_dollies
15 hours ago, solebria said:

Will you be customizing her or leaving her as Sakura? I am a bit curious hehe! 

I'll probably use a different wig and outfit for the time being since I'm not familiar with her character/game. But it's still such a pretty outfit so might have try it on eventually. I don't plan to remove her face-up. I may swap her eyes, but for now will keep her as is as I'm still appreciating her :) 

I am curious to see how she'd look with a different face-up, maybe a sad-type look? I'm a sucker for faces like Mariko, Coron, etc. It would be nice to have a blank extra Amamiya head lol.