Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Awoo_San

Im new and have some questions about dolls~

Awoo_San

Hi!!! Im new to the site annnnd new to owning a dollfie dream doll. I have the maid version of Rei Ayanami and I love her so much. I have a few questions that may have been answered before but I see a lot of these posts are a little um...outdated...so some answers may have changed. 

1.) (Bit dumb) I purchased my doll for around $600 and she was very very gently used. She only has 1 small light yellow place, and her outfit had never even been taken out of the package. Eyes have original glue in them and wig is new too. Was this a fair price or was I a bit overcharged? 

2.) Where do you recommend buying clothes? Since she is a regular DD-M the official DD site doesn't have as many options as I'd like and most etsy stores I can find have prices higher than the DD site. I'm just looking for pj's and a casual outfit for her, not like a costume or wedding dress. 

3.) Holy cow why are the travelling bags so expensive? 

And that's all for now. I probably have more but I really just wanted to get a post out there to see how active the community is :) thank you everyone!!

cfx

Hi! @onion12@

I think the price was a bit high; Mandarake has a new/unused one for about $500 + shipping of probably $30 or a little more:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1086133567&categoryCode=020114&lang=en

I buy clothes from Volks and Mandarake, but I'm looking for different things than you are.

Look for alternatives to the doll bags. Cases made to carry camera tripods are similar in shape and design and can work, like this one (I don't know its quality, just an example)

For some other inexpensive options for carrying bags here are a couple of ideas:

https://blog.doll.cafe/2019/01/trader-joes-brand-insulated-shopping-bag.html

https://blog.doll.cafe/2018/12/doll-bag-on-tiny-budget.html

BeyondTime

One big plus to the Volks bags is the interior is all white except for the zipper. I wouldn’t use a tripod bag if the interior were black.

If the yellow spot is on her body you can just replace that part, the head is more problematic. 

A DD M-bust is similar in size to an SDGr. Try searching the Volks site for that and see if you get more results. There should be a lot of SDGr sized clothing. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about the price difference. A doll as old as Rei could potentially have more yellowing than yours seems to, so it seems to me like you could maybe have saved money, but gotten something not as good. 

Edited by BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

A DD M-bust is similar in size to an SDGr. Try searching the Volks site for that and see if you get more results. There should be a lot of SDGr sized clothing. 

I realized I needed to add one thing. Clothing sized for SDGr will fit, but clothing sized for SD16 & SDGr may have fit issues. 

• Thanks 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

burokkori

Hi! Welcome to the void. :)

1. The price is irrelevant when you've found a DD you like and absolutely must have. That said, $600 is about the average going price for Rei right now in the condition you've described after factoring in fees and shipping. I'm guessing EMS was added to that total? Also, your Rei wouldn't happened to be one of the Reis from Mandarake would it? I had one in similar condition bookmarked for a few months and all of a sudden somebody bought it. Haha.

2. If you're just starting out, I recommend sticking with Volks made clothes on the first few sets for less complication and frustration. So long as you get the right size stuff for your Rei, you'd be very satisfy with the fit and finish of Volks' craftsmanship. Get the current released stuff from Volks directly or Mandarake for current to older stuff second-hand.

3. Everything Dollfie related is expensive. Everything! Don't worry, if you stick around long enough, you'll soon get use to this fact. :)

One last note, your Rei is an older release and is on a DDII White Skin body. DDII and WS as a whole has been discontinued by Volks and replacement parts are now hard to find. Take care good care not to get stains on the body from dark clothing.

cfx

Oh, white skin; I didn't realize that. White skin parts are completely discontinued, and have been removed from the Volks Japan webstore. Volks USA still has just a little bit:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=820&subcats=Y&features_hash=V454

If you want any of the different hands, get them now before they're gone as well:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=826&subcats=Y&features_hash=V454

burokkori

Yeah, it's really is a shame that Volks discontinued WS. I guess Semi White is a bit more natural tone when comparing to WS.

Awoo_San
6 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Thats the kind of answer I was looking for! I figured she had to ve similar in size to SOMETHING. Thank you so much!! Also the yellowing is a very small spot on her um...bum lol. Since its not noticeable(I like to have clothes on her) I dont feel the need to replace the part quite yet. Thank you so much!!! 

Awoo_San
2 hours ago, cfx said:

If you want any of the different hands, get them now before they're gone 

Ugh I hope they still have them in January. Im running low on cash rn from getting Rei lol

Awoo_San
2 hours ago, burokkori said:

Me and my boyfriend bought her from a nice person on Ebay. He took the listing down before we could buy it to save it for us. Rip Wallet. I love this doll like a daughter though so Im gonna spoil her.

Awoo_San
8 hours ago, cfx said:

Thank you so much!!!!! Im definitely going to look into all of this. I dont NEED a carrying bag, but I'd like one someday, so I have plenty of time to do research :)

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, Awoo_San said:

Me and my boyfriend bought her from a nice person on Ebay. He took the listing down before we could buy it to save it for us. Rip Wallet. I love this doll like a daughter though so Im gonna spoil her.

It's good that you had a good experience on eBay. eBay tends to have the worst markups for Dollfie, so I'd recommend that you start figuring out how to use Mandarake, and Yahoo Japan Auctions. You'll save a lot of money that way.

Every so often you can find a deal on eBay, but it's pretty rare.

Edited by BeyondTime

Galvatim

Have you checked out Doll Delights on eBay? 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/dolldelights/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Quality doll clothes for a good price.  I actually ordered the pink overalls to put together a casual outfit for my Rei- Rei Hino (Sailor Mars) that is. 

I buy a lot of single pieces to mix and match, skirts, pants, t-shirts, sweaters and so on.  Get a nice assortment to mix and match for different looks.  I've found doll clothes tend to cost at least as much, or usually more, than the clothes I buy myself.  

If you're looking for pajamas, I think Moe's set, by Volks is cute: https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1109590702&ref=list&dispCount=240&categoryCode=020114&keyword=After School Akihabara Girls&lang=en 

Oh, check out Cool Cat- http://us.sk-coolcat.com/front/bin/home.phtml  They sell protective body suits, wig caps, and have a nice selection of socks and panties, all stuff you'll probably want at some point.  

• Like 1

Awoo_San

Thank you :,) The Rei I got was defffinitellyy SUPER cheap compared to the other ones...I'll check out other sites thanks!!

BeyondTime

There is also this set from Volks: https://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=10975

The only negative to this set is the black piping that runs along the inside panel where it buttons, and the black lettering goes all the way through. Both can be addressed by putting a bit of Volks skin protect tape on the part of the shirt that would touch the torso. 

You can just leave it open in front so the piping doesn’t touch her, but that works better with Hatsune Miku or Chihaya than with an M bust like Rei. @onion9@

Edited by BeyondTime

Awoo_San
2 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I was looking at this set!!! I wanted something more cutesy but Rei isnt really the kinda girl to wear super cutesy things, so I think I'm gonna go with this one once I get some extra cash. Thank you so much!!! You've really been a huge help!!!!!

BeyondTime
7 minutes ago, Awoo_San said:

I was looking at this set!!! I wanted something more cutesy but Rei isnt really the kinda girl to wear super cutesy things, so I think I'm gonna go with this one once I get some extra cash. Thank you so much!!! You've really been a huge help!!!!!

I would definitely grab a roll of skin protect tape with it. You can get it in any color, but semi-white will be best if they have it. Apply it to the clothing where there are danger spots, and not to the doll. It can leave marks on the vinyl if applied to the doll, and while they normally fade, your girl has hard to replace parts. 

Awoo_San
17 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I would definitely grab a roll of skin protect tape with it. You can get it in any color, but semi-white will be best if they have it. Apply it to the clothing where there are danger spots, and not to the doll. It can leave marks on the vinyl if applied to the doll, and while they normally fade, your girl has hard to replace parts. 

When I get the outfit Im also going to get a sleeve for her too so I can be extra safe lol I dont mind if she looks stained but I dont want her to actually be stained ya know? I also found some really cheap white hands on a site you showed me so um THANK YOU. Rei needs finger guns.