The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Rella

How do you pack dollfie dreams and smart dolls for trips?

Rella

I’m going away next month and I want to bring my dolls with me. I never brought them on a plane before and I’m not sure how if there is a specific way to pack them for it. Thanks! :3

Edited by Rella-Chan622
  • Like 1

Poofiemus

I've brought dolls on planes with me multiple times, and honestly security has never pulled me for a doll. My snacks or my vibrating pillow, yes (especially the pillow, it looks like an hourglass of death in X-ray, lol), but never a doll. It's really clear in the X-ray what they're looking at because it's person-shaped.

I usually prefer to only bring one for space and logistics reasons; when I do this I usually have them kneeling in my backpack next to my Switch, good headphones, and thermos. The backpack is my personal item and goes under the seat in front of me so I have it with me at all times. I usually put the wig in a plastic baggie elsewhere in thr backpack, especially if it's a long one, because otherwose the tangles are just too annoying.

If I'm bringing multiple dolls, like I did on my most recent trip, I may put them in my suitcase, which is carry-on compliant. I usually can get away with putting them in kind of a sitting position, spooning each other if I have 2 in there. If I have more than 2, or 2 plus my DSLR, then I may resort to pulling someone's upper torso or legs off. Torso in particular is easier on DDs than Smart Dolls, so I'll pluck one of my DDs apart before I mess around with my Smart Doll boy. The real key here is to make sure that they're packed tightly so things don't shift inside the suitcase, especially if I'm going to check it. (Usually I'll gate-check the bag on my nonstop flights so I know for certain it's on the right plane--and so I don't have to pay the bag check fee, lol.)

I do think I may get face up protectors soon, because I do have a lot of custom face up dorks in my collection, but factory faceups are super sturdy and should be fine. 

Really, it's mostly an issue of geometry and protecting the more fragile bits--usually the face up and the wig on a vinyl midget. Vinyl is pretty sturdy, thankfully, and security usually doesn't care in my experience.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Monty

Usually I have the dolls in a seated or kneeling position and wrapped in a white towel in a backpack or carry bag (I used to use a freezer bag that was the perfect size for a sitting DD)

I used to take off wigs, but I found it too annoying to put them back on all the time. When I go out with a doll its usually cos I want to take photos, and I want to do it quickly. So I instead leave the wig on and put something over the dolls head - when I took Tilo to Italy with me, I used the clear plastic box that a Dollce wig had come in although some of the plastic boxes for Volks parts may also work. They work great because the stiffness of the plastic means that it acts as a forcefield to protect the face but also their hair cant get mussed up by anything - except the plastic itself, and unless the doll has a super intricate hairstyle this isnt really an issue.  (Of course, it works much better if the doll has short hair). The towel wrapped around keeps the cover over the head well enough but for extra security you could get it to fasten more securely. I  saw this getup on twitter using a much more rigid plastic container modified with a strap to hold the doll in place.

For dolls with longer hair, I have seen people at doll events using large plastic soft drink bottles (the biggest type) with the bottom cut off which can cover the doll to their waist. With Bri, I only had the smaller clear plastic box to use but I put a hair net over her head and hair to contain the hair, and made sure it hung over her shoulder in front of her.

Edited by Monty

baldylox

When I went to Japan, I knew I had to bring Manami with me and I knew I had to protect her from the gorillas that work in the luggage areas.  So I specifically bought a hard cased carryon piece that she rode in with me inside the airplane cabin.  All I did to pack her was put her in a semi seated/kneeling position and cover her face with a white towel, see the photo below.

38921229255_4a2aff773b_z.jpg002 by Billy  Bennett, on Flickr

She got no damage at all and was well protected.  I made sure there were clothes and other soft things directly around her.  

If you want to carry several dolls then just put more of your stuff in your checked bags and put your dolls into a hard shell carry on piece like the one above.  Or you could carry on a backpack and have a couple in there.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Rella

I decided to bring one doll. What would be better? Putting her in the suitcase or in my carry on?

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Rella-Chan622 said:

I decided to bring one doll. What would be better? Putting her in the suitcase or in my carry on?

I would go with carry-on.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

baldylox
21 hours ago, Rella-Chan622 said:

CARRYON ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

The animals that load and unload luggae do NOT give a crap about what's in the luggage.  The last thing you want is for your lady to get tossed around or have things stacked on top of her with the ability to be crushed or damaged.  Keep her close to you in the carryon.  You can check on her during the trip or bring her out for a bit so she can enjoy the flight!

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.