Baldylox

battrastard

Migon

Salica

growcian

Deteriorating Outfits

Katiazza
On 3/6/2020 at 10:34 AM, hats said:

I'm wondering what I could use after repairing Sakura's uniform to try and seal the outfit to help prevent any additional damage. All I did in regards to the boots was take them out of the packaging and touch them which caused tiny tears and cracking. 

At craft stores or online, they sell a sealant for faux leather. Even after repair jobs this should absolutely be used to help prevent the layer still attached to the backing fabric from peeling off more. 

I've repaired multiple vintage toys (25 to 40 years old) using this method. Replacing the missing colour makes it look better but the sealant stops more of the stuff from peeling off. I definitely recommend using the sealant as well as any other paint/vinyl/goo repair 

*Yuzu* DDS Yaya

*Yuuko* DDIII Aozaki Aoko

*Sakura* DDII Uryuu Sakuno

hats
14 hours ago, Katiazza said:

At craft stores or online, they sell a sealant for faux leather. Even after repair jobs this should absolutely be used to help prevent the layer still attached to the backing fabric from peeling off more. 

I've repaired multiple vintage toys (25 to 40 years old) using this method. Replacing the missing colour makes it look better but the sealant stops more of the stuff from peeling off. I definitely recommend using the sealant as well as any other paint/vinyl/goo repair 

This info has been a life saver - thank you!

I spent some time working on repairing all the tiny cracks/holes (while discovering new cracks in the process) this past weekend. Once I get home from work this evening I will be applying the sealant to the jacket, gloves and boots. In an effort to prevent further damage to the back of the boots I placed a spare pair of feet I had into them (they'll live there now) and will just change Sakura's feet when I put her into the outfit so I won't have to worry about putting them on/off and causing any further damage in the future. Likewise - the gloves will live on the spare hands I placed them on. They required almost as much repair work as the jacket. 

Mahoro
16 hours ago, Katiazza said:

Do you have a link or anything to the sealant product you use?

Thanks!

Katiazza
20 hours ago, Mahoro said:

Thanks!

The brand I've used is here 

https://canada.michaels.com/en/plaid-leather-studio-leather-and-vinyl-paint/M10509258.html?dwvar_M10509258_size=2 oz&dwvar_M10509258_color=Linen

But the actual sealant doesn't seem to have a page on the sales website. But it should just say sealant for leather paint. Alternatively you could ask your local craft store what they have for it since they would know where it is. I got mine at Michael's since it's the most convenient place but I imagine other stores would also be cheaper (or you could use a coupon)

*Yuzu* DDS Yaya

Katiazza
22 hours ago, hats said:

This info has been a life saver - thank you!

I spent some time working on repairing all the tiny cracks/holes (while discovering new cracks in the process) this past weekend. Once I get home from work this evening I will be applying the sealant to the jacket, gloves and boots. In an effort to prevent further damage to the back of the boots I placed a spare pair of feet I had into them (they'll live there now) and will just change Sakura's feet when I put her into the outfit so I won't have to worry about putting them on/off and causing any further damage in the future. Likewise - the gloves will live on the spare hands I placed them on. They required almost as much repair work as the jacket. 

I'm glad it helped! It is pretty discouraging to spend all the time fixing something and then have it continue to fall apart! I find the sealant pretty necessary to keep everything in place 

*Yuzu* DDS Yaya

hats
On 3/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, Mahoro said:

Thanks!

The brand I bought is Fiebing. I also got it at my local Michaels craft store. Can't find it on their website though.

It's seriously helped a ton. I'm able to handle the boots/gloves/outfit without them falling apart at the touch. I still won't be folding the jacket when I store it though - just to be extra cautious. 

Does anybody know where one can find a DD sized mannequin? 

cfx
8 hours ago, hats said:

Does anybody know where one can find a DD sized mannequin?

I was very curious about this. Searching for "bjd mannequin" turns up various results; here is one on ebay that looked possibly useful:

https://www.ebay.com/p/884694851?iid=132897032269

I see the F-Zero logo on that so this may be on their Taobao shop.

jazijaz

I've been in the hobby for a long time and never had a problem with dolls and clothes until I put them in storage. I thought they would be more protected in storage than when I play with them every day and boy, I was so wrong! I came back to damaged face ups, shoes discoloration (the white shoes turned yellow/green), clothes damaged (faux leather clothes were ruined completely) and some eyes lost their shine, the color faded, for my BJDs their strings didn't work anymore so they all were like noodles and all just because they were in storage for like a year. None of that ever happened when I used to change them everyday and when they were on display for years. This is the reason I don't want more BJDs, they need care and the more you handle them the better but the circumstances in my life right now unable me to play with them and give them the care they need. DDs are better in that case, I actually put a DD with an ugly stain in storage, a year later the stain disappeared. The only damage I saw on my DDs is the color fading on the face ups but they weren't damaged (paint falling off etc) like my BJDs' face ups were.

cfx
15 hours ago, jazijaz said:

I've been in the hobby for a long time and never had a problem with dolls and clothes until I put them in storage. I thought they would be more protected in storage than when I play with them every day and boy, I was so wrong! I came back to damaged face ups, shoes discoloration (the white shoes turned yellow/green), clothes damaged (faux leather clothes were ruined completely) and some eyes lost their shine, the color faded, for my BJDs their strings didn't work anymore so they all were like noodles and all just because they were in storage for like a year. None of that ever happened when I used to change them everyday and when they were on display for years. This is the reason I don't want more BJDs, they need care and the more you handle them the better but the circumstances in my life right now unable me to play with them and give them the care they need. DDs are better in that case, I actually put a DD with an ugly stain in storage, a year later the stain disappeared. The only damage I saw on my DDs is the color fading on the face ups but they weren't damaged (paint falling off etc) like my BJDs' face ups were.

This is really interesting. Perhaps it's due to things like outgassing, and with a doll closed up in a box in storage, those gases can't escape and cause things to age and deteriorate.

cfx

In reference to the mannequins, I found a couple of other things. Volks has had them in SD sizes, but were not sold to the public, just offered to Dolpa dealers for them to display their stuff:

https://www.volks.co.jp/dolpa/dealer_item.html

SEN has a page, but the DD sizes are listed as unavailable:

http://www.from-sen.com/shopdetail/009002000025/ct445/page1/order/

RikunFrances

The info in this thread is super helpful. I might just get around to trying to save some really nice YOSD sized pleather pants I got from a doll meet. As others have mentioned, I too went to pull the pants out of storage just to have them crumble up in my hands. 😢