Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Nakitaninja

When the Seagulls Cry and Beatrice

Nakitaninja

So right out of the gate (thank you admin!) I thought a relevant post would be concerning the Kyoto 8 Limited Items & Dolls....

*drumroll*

Beatrice-sama from Umineko no Naku Koro ni

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umineko_no_Naku_Koro_ni)

http://www.volksusa.com/kyoto8beatrice.html

http://www.volksusa.com/kyoto8beatriceuniform.html

I can say I actually watched this anime as a result of how gorgeous the DD Beatrice is. Thank you Volks. ^^;;;;; I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I get lucky enough to buy her in the upcoming lottery. I LOVE her. Maria the MDD is also from this show and I wish I had picked her up now that I have actually watched it. Oh well. She's really disturbing and cute!

But back to the anime...I did the marathon of this anime over the last two days and I seriously haven't been this addled in the brain since I tried to make sense of Utena. I have since come to peace over Utena but this new show is really a mind bending: "back to the future-with witches-on crack-with some phoenix wright thrown in."*

I will tell you before you watch it that it ends with a cliff hanger. I don't want you to be sad as I was when it's over and your left sad & confused while wanting more. Has anyone else watched this show? Do you play the game or have read the manga? Give me a hollar because I need to know more! Let's share our love for this uber-disturbing show!

Oh and if you plan on posting spoilers, please let others know at the beginning of the post. I LOVE spoilers but others don't. ^^;;;;;;;

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN PLAYING THE ORIGINAL GAME CHECK OUT THE LINK BELOW

http://witch-hunt.com/

You still have to buy the game but you can buy patches if you're not fluent in Japanese. ^^

READ THE MANGA It's not been released in the US to my knowledge, so I believe this link is street legal so-to-speak:

http://www.mangareader.net/557-30799-1/umineko-no-naku-koro-ni/chapter-0.html

Please keep in mind the nature of the show is fairly brutal. It hasn't been released in the US so there is no rating but these people get killed in some pretty awful ways. If you're not prepared for the content then please do not click the link, ok?

*I have no clue about actual crack but it's a crazy show.

Edited by Guest

40283197242_5620dd1681.jpg

anamagica

I know one who wants to sell Maria MDD, if you are interested.

baldylox

I hadn't even heard of Beatrice until she was announced by Volks as a new DD. But I don't keep up with all the newer animes either. I try and keep up but I don't always get to see the newest stuff unless it's getting released in the US. I tend not to do any downloading or watching on my computer. I much prefer watching it on my TV setup.

So after reading a little on the series Beatrice is from, I wonder why Volks would make a DD from a character like hers? She seems a bit crazy and/or cruel. But her style is pretty neat so maybe they were going for that angle. Or maybe Beatrice is really popular and I just don't know that.

Care to shed some light about Volks choice of Beato?

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Galvatim

I have the anime version of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and it's the best 'scary' anime I've ever seen! Actaully it's more like one of the two animes to scare me... I'm not a big fan of watching anime on my computer, so I haven't watched Umineko, but I would certainly like to see it...

Given how twisted these series are, I could see Beatrice being a likeable/sympathetic character in one or two of the routes (i skimmed the wiki page, skipping over the route summaries...).

Nakitaninja
I know one who wants to sell Maria MDD, if you are interested.

Sure! I'll bug you over PM for more information. ^^

Nakitaninja

Care to shed some light about Volks choice of Beato?

Billy

From my limited understanding Umineko was started as a doujinshi or a smaller self published franchise (visual novel, manga, later incarnated as anime) that was picked up later due to the 'murder series popularity' in Japan. This is kind of like the 'Miku Hatsune' vocaloid phenomenon in the sort of "underground" popularity resulting in product development. Hell, I'd love to know how Volks picks their anime girls- it must have to do with who is willing to license with them?

The thing I like the most about Umineko is not the horror or the death but the fact that the cast of characters develops and switches so that you feel like you discover more with every episode. Originally it is about the family in the mansion but then you move into a magical, whimsical world where everything you think you know is turned upon it's head and not even the seemingly firm rules of life or death even matter any longer.... leaving you to figure out the the relationship between the two. Beatrice is really revealed after the first 5 episodes to be the main character of the series- though even after 26 eps, you still don't understand her motivation even 50%. To me the most interesting part of the show is how Beatrice develops and the different facets of her character that come to life. She's not just a cruel, evil murderess, she's got a heart (even though it's a witch's heart) and her own motivations....whatever they are!!!

Maria is even scarier to me but that's a whole other post. She is super terrifying!

It is a show that is difficult to watch at time if you have a heart, but on the flip side it makes it's point extremely well. I don't want to talk about the plot too much (unless asked) in case you guys get the chance to watch it.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of torn myself about the nature of Ms. Beatrice but I love the sculpt of her DD face. The anime gives every indication that Beatrice is actually a redeemable character... but it isn't over yet and series is in need of resolution!

I may have some manga about here I could take some excerpts from... hmmm....

Nakitaninja

So just FYI, I've purchased the doujin visual novel and we'll see how the installation goes. I thought it was worth the risk since I enjoyed the anime so much.

Apparently the doujin was such a hit they've made it available to the US and some parts of the EU? Perhaps that is why Volks chose the series and the various characters to make into lovely DDs. Hmmm.

Nakitaninja

Yes, I found that auction. Thank you for the 'heads up' about it. ^^ It's missing Sakutaro who is central to Maria's character... so oddly that is a deal breaker for me.

I can't say enough for this anime or the manga. I'd actually suggest watching the anime first because it makes more sense in an odd way? Umineko is an amazing series that takes time to absorb. There's no guaranteed happy ending and timelines crisscross making fantasy and reality kind of a nightmare-ish thing to decipher. I guess I like the punishment.

I'm seriously curious if anyone else is going to preorder Beato. Lemme know!