Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
sunlightandtea

Closures for clothes

sunlightandtea

When making doll clothes I find the hardest part is figuring out how I want them to close up on the back. I prefer to make them close up in the back since I'm not a fan of clothes that require doll disassembly to put on. Most of what I make does have a snap closure that's a no-sew snap, but I've found these to be somewhat flaky and they break a lot since they're through two layers of cotton. I've tried sew on snaps but sewing them on correctly is difficult too, so that leaves me with velcro and zippers to try next.

What's your advice and recommendations about closing up clothes? Advice for attaching these and measuring out space in patterns for them? Thanks in advance.

Janeway

I use non sew snaps that are easy to use. Here is a example of a MDD bag that l am working on.

20200610_221119.jpg

• Like 1

Devonian

I usually just use velcro, you can usually cut it down small enough to use for doll clothing. There are stick on sorts but they don't always bind well with fabric, it's pretty easy to hand-sew. Your overlap of fabric only needs to be wide enough to fit your piece and you can stitch it righ up against the edge of the fabric. I always make sure I put the rough part on the side that will not have any contact with the dolls skin, to avoid scratches.

• Like 1

Gallye

I meant to reply to this thread ages ago and then boom! it fell right off my attention span. Ackpth. Sorry. 😅

Anyway! If the item in question can be pulled slightly tighter than its usual fit - if there's any stretch in the fabric at all, even denim - then I'm fond of the hook and eye, or, better yet, the hook and bar. Hooks and eyes are reasonably easy to find in tiny sizes, like #00, but they do add some bulk, similar to snaps. Hooks and bars are much less bulky, but it's hard to find tiny ones. DOLL PROBLEMS~

Katsudon

This might be a bit late. I tend towards sew on snaps/fasteners, but I get the thin plastic sort instead of the thicker metal ones. They are a bit easier to open I find, so put less pressure on the fabric. I really hate sewing them though. o_o;

I, uh, also keep some hook and eye closures just in case I mess up and make the clothes too small for other fasteners ^^;;; (this usually happens on prototypes)

I recently bought a lot of super thin velcro (aka doll velcro) off aliexpress. Not had chance to use it yet. It's a bit hard to find on there o_o the search term for it was really weird - something like 'hook and loop fastener'. It's easier to find on etsy by searching for 'doll velcro'. It's basically the stuff that gets used on mass produced doll clothes, so it has a very low profile compared to what you can get at a craft store. It looks easier to sew on too, 'cos I have to use a thimble when hand sewing thick velcro XD