battrastard

Migon

Salica

mionnaise

mika's DD faceup adventures

mionnaise
Posted (edited)

Hey all!

I'm making this thread to document faceups I've done for DDs/vinyl dolls. I mostly paint BJDs so this is a whole new territory for me, and I was very much mistaken for thinking it would be an easy transition having experience as a faceup artist and illustrator under my belt...

---

Faceup attempt #1
DWC-01, DDH-08

spacer.png

spacer.png

Verdict:

They were fun to paint, but I had no direction with my linework ^_T
Both were wiped clean immediately.

---

Faceup attempt #2
DDH-08

With Cyndi ordered and on the way to me, I had to brute-force this faceup into completion before her arrival.

When I painted him the first time I realized that DDH-08's eye openings were very small(?) and the eyewells weren't bevelled out nicely, so I busted out my dremel and did my best to mod the eyes into the right shape. I also took a lot of progress photos to serve as references for MDD!Cyrus's faceup.

spacer.png

I wasn't sure where to write this in the collage, but my sealants are Zoukeimura Powder Finish for the base layers and final layers, and Vallejo Premium Matte Varnish for my in-betweens/buildup layers (applied with airbrush).

Verdict:

For something I rushed in a day, I'm quite surprised it turned out better than I expected.
Keeping the faceup for now!

spacer.png

And for anybody curious, this is what Cyrus looks like in 2D:

Spoiler

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's his BJD counterpart. He's a Volks SD-F-54.

Spoiler

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks so much for reading! I'll post more updates when I get around to painting my DWC-01, hopefully next week. 

Edited by mionnaise
  • Like 7

Monty

I love both of them, but I’m especially impressed with that 08 as it’s admittedly not a head I like that much and it seems to be a challenge, as the mouth is kinda awkward looking to me (even with the default faceups from Volks)  But your guy is so adorable it’s making me rethink my whole feeling on the sculpt. Extending that smile and adding the teeth was a great decision!

Jezrah
6 minutes ago, Monty said:

But your guy is so adorable it’s making me rethink my whole feeling on the sculpt. 

Agreed, there are only two other 08s (which were twins) that I ever thought looked cute, but Cyrus looks so awesome I immediately bookmarked his pic. 🥰 I have to rethink this sculpt.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Majikaru-Rin

Ah! I remember seeing this sweet boy over on DOA and thinking he was gorgeous. His vinyl counterpart looks equally as adorable, you did an amazing job with his face up! 👍☺️

mionnaise
On 7/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, Gallye said:

Ooh, he did turn out very nicely! I look forward to seeing more of your paint jobs. 😄

Thanks so much!! I do think DDs are more fun to paint than BJDs (prolly cuz it's easier LOL). I need to develop a style for them, though. I don't draw the most detailed eyes and it shows in my faceups, which is heavily dependent on that aspect, I think.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:51 PM, Monty said:

I love both of them, but I’m especially impressed with that 08 as it’s admittedly not a head I like that much and it seems to be a challenge, as the mouth is kinda awkward looking to me (even with the default faceups from Volks)  But your guy is so adorable it’s making me rethink my whole feeling on the sculpt. Extending that smile and adding the teeth was a great decision!

Oh that means a lot, thank you! I'm actually quite the opposite in that I think 08's a cute model. It's currently the only standard head I like. I do agree that it can look a bit awkward (vacant?) depending on how the smile is painted. One thing I don't like so much about it are the eye wells. I'm not sure if it's a problem limited to this head only, but the wells are so thick that it makes his eyes beady looking...

On 7/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, Jezrah said:

Agreed, there are only two other 08s (which were twins) that I ever thought looked cute, but Cyrus looks so awesome I immediately bookmarked his pic. 🥰 I have to rethink this sculpt.

Thanks so much! 💕 Even though I'm a fan of this head, I have to admit it does benefit from some tweaking to get it to look cuter.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, Majikaru-Rin said:

Ah! I remember seeing this sweet boy over on DOA and thinking he was gorgeous. His vinyl counterpart looks equally as adorable, you did an amazing job with his face up! 👍☺️

Awww thank you! 🥰 I'm happy you could recognize him as a DD. My worries about having multiple dolls of the same character is that they don't match each other. He doesn't have the most complicated face in the world so I, hopefully, can get away with it haha

Rumi

Wow the transition from 2D art into doll form was insanely accurate 😮 i love your 2D art and DD >v< Perhaps it is a bit off topic but where can i see more of you digital art of these cuties? 

mionnaise
On 7/17/2020 at 10:44 AM, Rumi said:

Wow the transition from 2D art into doll form was insanely accurate 😮 i love your 2D art and DD >v< Perhaps it is a bit off topic but where can i see more of you digital art of these cuties? 

Thank you so much! I'm sure he can look a bit more in-model (I'm working on it!), but it always makes me happy to hear that both my art and dolls resemble each other. Unfortunately, I'm on a long break from social media, so my instagram's temporarily deactivated ;_;

On 7/28/2020 at 11:16 AM, bulgogi017 said:

Cyrus is adorable! You did a lovely job~ The violet eyes are gorgeous!

Thank you! Purple eyes are his thing ☺️

---

Some small updates. I pretty much died from every 'site I'm on lmao.

I started working on my DWC-01 head again because Cy's resin boyfriend doesn't want me to paint his face, apparently.

Faceup attempt #2.5

50168528733_0b37bfc197_b.jpg

He has a mouth!

I was inspired by the promo photos for this look, and it seems like open mouth faceups just work really well on this head.

And I've wiped my DDH-08 head clean to do some more mod work. I've thinned down his lids? wells? and did another round of reshaping to his eyes. He has more of a conventional DD eye shape now, which I hope will help ease up the painting process. I'm waiting for my sanding sponges to come in to give the head a final buff.

50169066926_2b3fccae57_b.jpg

• Like 2