The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Turta

Have you ever tried making a 3D version of your dolls with vroid studios or other 3D programs?

Turta

I'm interested  if people have made 3D/virtual versions of their dolls? I got really into 3d program called vroid studios recently, which is a free 3D anime character maker, and I was thinking of trying to recreate my dolls using that program at some point. Have you tried making your doll into a 3D virtual form? If so, what program did you use, and can I see your virtual doll?:)

(Edit: I hope people don't think I mean doll recasting or something when I talk about 3D programs and dolls, because I literally mean that you make your doll in 3D form, by forming them from scratch inthe program)

Edited by Turta
Edit: specified the title/meaning of the topic

Yumeiro

I have.
I used the head of my DDH09 and a Smartdoll body, to familiarize myself with Maya/3D sculpting and animating.
Sorry for the bad pic... I don't have them in any better resolution saved (and I don't have Maya installed anymore)

fUc91DQ.jpg

I'm not too familiar with vroid studios though (looks neat). Is it more like an advanced character editor, or do you sculpt from scratch/nothing?

Turta

Your doll looks cool! (Pink looks good on her) I'v tried maya few years ago, but didn't get too far with it, since I didn't have much time to invest learning it. I'd really like to revisite that program again. 

And yeah the vroid studio is more of a character maker, since you start modifying with a base body (which actually gives you a lot of freedom to mold your characters face, its shape, size, mouth/eye shape, placement etc. Rest of the body is more about changing the portions and sizes of limbs (how tall, busty, long legged, big handed the etc the character is). But I find this to be a real time saver, since the anime esthetic is pretty simple and limited--usually, not allways (If you want to make more doll with a more unique anatomy I believe you can also edit your character later, since you can export your vroid file for example, into blender, but it does take some extra teps:)

You get to draw the character's hair, and experimenting with the hair making tool has been very interesting. You get to texturise and draw on top of your 3D model, creating hand painted make up, body blush, own textures etc. You can do some of it directly on top of the character, or on the linked texture files inside the program, but for more accurate results I have used photoshop (and a drawing tablet) for the drawing/coloring/texture and exported and imported the files back to vroid studios.

(I hope this doesn't sound like I'm advertising this program, this is not an add, I just really got excited about this program, and thought this would be perfect way to make your dolls into 3D)

I propably explain this terribly, but this has been much easier as a starting point to 3D model creation, than any other real and proper 3D program I have used, since there is a starting base, and the program is very bare bones, and easy to learn(it is based more into styling aspect of the character, like you would do with your doll-only in 3D, and animations). By using already set base files, and building on top of it has been very entertaining to me. Creating clothing textures and drawing virtual face-ups has been very fun:) There is also camera mode, were you can take pictures of your character, and make them do some preset animations, poses and make new custom poses. Even just the iddle animations are very cute.

And as I mentioned before, you can export the character to continue working on it in blender, it can be brought into unity, and I think even into Vr-chat (but for that you'd need some extra work, and tutorials)and by downloading your character to vroidhub, you can use your character, and share your character, to be used in different playeable apps that can be used directly with your character's vroid files (allthough most of them are only in japanese. But again, I think the consept is fun in my opinnion)

And as a side note, just like real physical custom dolls, their clothes, make up and accessories, you can sell your creations on an online store called BOOTH. I find this pretty cool, even if you'd never intended to sell anything you made in the program😄 (I haven't really looked a lot into this  but as a concept, this sounds very interesting.)

If people are looking for more traditional character 3d maker, where everything is allready ready made, and upto your choosing(ready hair, make up, eyes, clothes etc) vroid has also an app for android phone, and I believe for iphone. I'v used this for faster character creation, and for ideas how to style my future dolls. There you can also take pictures of your characters, and download it to vroidhub, but that character isn't in same way owned by you, or able to be sold, since all the assets in the app are ready made. (Or atleas that's how I understood it) BUT it is a good way to think about how you would like to style your doll, since it is fast and pretty cute and lively way to see your potential doll in 3D (allthought the customisation options are pretty limited, especially hair style and clothes)

Whoopsie, that was a long post:p 

• Thanks 1

Yumeiro

@Turta I might just give it a go sometime then (*downloads*)! Cool that you can export it to blender as well..!
As someone who enjoys customizing characters/dolls, it does sound fun, and time-saving. Like, yeah, giving people an insight into 3D modeling. At least the weeb side 😅

Thanks for your thorough explanation!

• Like 1

Turta
1 hour ago, Yumeiro said:

@Turta I might just give it a go sometime then (*downloads*)! Cool that you can export it to blender as well..!
As someone who enjoys customizing characters/dolls, it does sound fun, and time-saving. Like, yeah, giving people an insight into 3D modeling. At least the weeb side 😅

No problemo!👍😎👍Weeb 3D modeling sounds about right, that's a good way to put itXD I hope you have fun trying out the program (If you end up making your doll, or other cool characters, I'd love to see your creations, but only if you want to show them ofcourse. No pressure to show anything) 

Oliver

I havent done this exactly. However i hav emade 3 heads wich im curently making into bjd heads.

Im planing on selling some of the heads ill be casting but im only intrested in doing ready made/in stock sales. I made an elf/demon head wich is called Mellow, wich is close to being finishd!

1693785_11498_fdacca066590ed49e1db57ea5357652b_1200x1200.jpg.b762a9225d2aea10fdc475e825a6b874.jpg

mellow01.PNG.d68ae8334f8fa37d71ed85a2b2e5cb25.PNG

I also made these 2. The demon/goat with curly ram horns is called Lucy and the demon/goat with straight horns is called Furfur. They are far from being finishd lol.

horn01.PNG.76ab5d81e37a36bdd5f987c152d49112.PNG

furfur01.PNG.128f9d07c3b9478032bf0ffc2f1bf23a.PNG

• Like 1

Turta
20 hours ago, Oliver said:

I havent done this exactly. However i hav emade 3 heads wich im curently making into bjd heads.

Im planing on selling some of the heads ill be casting but im only intrested in doing ready made/in stock sales. I made an elf/demon head wich is called Mellow, wich is close to being finishd!

1693785_11498_fdacca066590ed49e1db57ea5357652b_1200x1200.jpg.b762a9225d2aea10fdc475e825a6b874.jpg

I also made these 2. The demon/goat with curly ram horns is called Lucy and the demon/goat with straight horns is called Furfur. They are far from being finishd lol.

Those look really nice! What 3D program did you use to make them? 

Oliver

@Turta i used sculptris to make them and meshmixer to make them the size i want + hollow inside so id have less work drilling ect.

• Like 1

Turta
On 7/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, Oliver said:

@Turta i used sculptris to make them and meshmixer to make them the size i want + hollow inside so id have less work drilling ect.

Thanks for the info!:) Sculptris is a new program to me, so I'm happy to learn about new 3D programs. I cheked it out and it looks very handy and I love that it's also free👍👍

• Like 1

Oliver

@Turta from what i remember its suposedly the free version of zbrush. So ofc it has fewer options but it gets the job done lol. Its very newbie friendly, as i myself am verry new the whole 3d sculpting world. Im now trying out Vroid studio, the buttons are the same so thats great! + i think its quite fun to use. Ive made a few of my ocs in it already

• Like 1

Turta
10 hours ago, Oliver said:

@Turta from what i remember its suposedly the free version of zbrush. So ofc it has fewer options but it gets the job done lol. Its very newbie friendly, as i myself am verry new the whole 3d sculpting world. Im now trying out Vroid studio, the buttons are the same so thats great! + i think its quite fun to use. Ive made a few of my ocs in it already

Aaa, Zbrush I have heard about. It's great that they offer a free version, even if the options are a bit more limited, since you can allways upgrade the program if you really get into sculpting etc. Having free programs to start of with, and especially if they are newbie friendly is really nice, and it really helps if the button controls are the same!  Gotta go download sculptis too. 

(If you feel like sharing some pics of your creations, feel free to👍👍(mine are still pretty incomplete, and I'm still just learning to use the program, so there isn't much to show yet))

On 7/24/2020 at 5:28 PM, Oliver said:

On 7/24/2020 at 5:28 PM, Oliver said:

On 7/24/2020 at 2:33 PM, Yumeiro said:

No problemo!👍😎👍Weeb 3D modeling sounds about right, that's a good way to put itXD I hope you have fun trying out the program (If you end up making your doll, or other cool characters, I'd love to see your creations, but only if you want to show them ofcourse. No pressure to show anything) 

engelinvitro

My laptop can barely run Vroid and it sucks cuz I would've loved to make my character in there. I did, however, make him in a comparable mobile app called Custom Cast.

7-A1003-E1-E57-B-41-AC-B1-BB-B3-AC984142
00-E01-F3-C-E9-DF-4652-9-D85-4775-B952-A

Character/Doll in question:

CCA09-DFA-1638-4056-B79-F-98-D3840-A4488

Some of the nicer outfits are locked behind a paywall, which might not sound great to a few, but I was willing to pay up for the sailor outfit set because everything about it is my guy's style 🥺

• Like 1

Amoretto
On 7/26/2020 at 7:17 PM, Turta said:

Thanks for the info!:) Sculptris is a new program to me, so I'm happy to learn about new 3D programs. I cheked it out and it looks very handy and I love that it's also free👍👍

I've been using sculptris for years at the suggestion of a toy maker. I love it. 

Noxxbunny

Haha I tried out vroid for the first time because of this thread! I've been trying to finalize a design for a doll I want to start sculpting, but hadn't been able to because I can't draw to save my life. Having a 3D model to reference what I'm possibly going for is really nice! Vroid was nice because it actually was easy to pick up for someone like me who knows 0 about 3D modeling. Here is my first try, it's a start 😆

fox1.png.a6cb11ad6d46b4adbb96a856c9a5e61f.png

• Like 1

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

Turta

Great to hear, and glad you found vroid to be an useful tool for potential doll designing:D! And your first try is looking good👍👍(this was ment as a reply to noxxbunny, but forgot to quote this)

Edited by Turta

Turta
On 8/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, engelinvitro said:

My laptop can barely run Vroid and it sucks cuz I would've loved to make my character in there. I did, however, make him in a comparable mobile app called Custom Cast.

7-A1003-E1-E57-B-41-AC-B1-BB-B3-AC984142
00-E01-F3-C-E9-DF-4652-9-D85-4775-B952-A

Character/Doll in question:

CCA09-DFA-1638-4056-B79-F-98-D3840-A4488

Some of the nicer outfits are locked behind a paywall, which might not sound great to a few, but I was willing to pay up for the sailor outfit set because everything about it is my guy's style 🥺

Awww, so cuuuute!(I haven't seen that sailor suit before, I kinda really want to get it now too!) I love your guy as a vroid and as a doll😍 The mobile app is handy too, Vroid really is kinda hefty program to run, and the saved files for the models are pretty large too. 

Zippercore

I've never used it for a doll really, but I've fooled around in VRoid with various OCs... who also wound up being shelled as resin dolls but I digress, lol. My poor laptop struggles with it and I have to shut down everything and only run the single program and save every couple of changes in case it crashes, but the end results are pretty nice. Maybe I should look into it again to work with my SmD...

DreamDollDesign

Whoooa. I'm downloading it now after watching the demo video. This would be great for planning dolls' looks.