Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

PhoenyxAshe

New, and warning, I ramble...

PhoenyxAshe

Figured I better get the "ramble warning" out of the way from the start.  It's genetic - I come from a line of talkers.  I could give examples, but that would be even more of a digression.

(See what I mean?)

I confess, I have not been much of a collector... well, not of "collectable things", but I'll get to that in a bit.  Time, space, and money (mostly money) have been inhibiting factors. Right now, time has eased up, money has eased up... space... I'm working on that.  So I settled for just looking at the pretty things, and daydreaming about what I could make for them.  And used having a daughter as an excuse to make what I could... for her.  Really.

My mother, on the other hand, is a collector, if an eclectic one.  Not so much for "value" as "I like this this thing."  And I know that is genetic as well.  

I mentioned not being a collector of "things".  I collect skills.  Yep, genetic as well.  Makers on both sides of the family.  A friend of mine calls it being a "hummingbird crafter" which is a lot prettier than my own self-deprecating title of "skill-hoarder".  Though to be fair, I don't exactly hoard them - I'll share what I know with anyone who asks.  Or even hints.

By trade (or attempted trade) I am an artist, and yep, bounced through several mediums before settling happily into polymer clay sculpture.  And this is where the point of this ramble starts to come into focus. I promise.

Early into my foray of learning polymer clay, I was out shopping with my mother and came across a clay magazine that had a tutorial for a ball jointed doll. I was intrigued, and when I pointed it out to my mother, she grinned and said, "You could always make that for me," and put the magazine in our cart. 

I can take a hint.  Unfortunately, the tutorial was odd, using methods I didn't entirely feel comfortable with. But I never did forget that hint.  I have even purchased additional, more practical tutorials... but funds got tight, and I wanted to make sure the method would work.  I did not want to give my mother a doll that had problems.  

Now, funds have eased up.  Heck, they've eased up enough that I've been able to get a new toy, to learn new skills with: a 3D printer.  And I have easy access to relatively cheap filament.  And there is a website that has so many files, including, yes, ball jointed dolls.  And ball jointed dragons.  And cats.  And other animals... even a griffin.  Soooo many temptations.  After printing a few bits to attach to the printer, I started on the bjds.  I have currently printed four - no, five - complete dolls, plus a mechanically jointed doll, the male doll is printing now (10 hour print for the legs!)and multiple parts, seeing how everything works, doesn't work, why it doesn't work, and so on.

And that... is what led me here.  I realized that in working in my little bubble, I had no idea if certain designs were "normal", totally out there, etc., or if my idea of the "perfect" design is even feasible with the materials on hand, and in the time limit I've given myself (Mom's birthday at the end of October).   And since most of the doll's I've printed have been scaled at 50% of a 1/3 design, I don't know if some of the problems might be stemming from that, either (mostly stringing/stability issues).

I don't know if there are others who have experience with this in addition to the DD/Smart Doll/Obitsu collectibles, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  And maybe asking a few questions (in the appropriate areas) will help, or will point me in the direction of a forum that can help with specifics to 3D printing.

And yes, I do plan to own at least a few dolls - Smart Dolls keep catching my eye on YouTube, and some of the Dollfie line dolls, and if I find an affordable Ellowyne when I have the fully disposable income I'm in trouble.  And I promise, they won't get beaten up like the Madame Alexander dolls I had as a child - though in my defense, I was a child.

At my heart, though, I'm a maker.  I like to make things. And I did make a promise to myself to make Mom a BJD.  Well, now I'm making two.  One in polymer clay, and one 3D printed.  Both with clothing, wigs, face-ups, and storage that will also function as a display.  So in addition to seeing me in the "Other Dolls" area, I'll probably be hanging around the Workshop as well.

Thank you for letting me ramble. 

Mitz

aka

PhoenyxAshe

• Like 4

Manaphyyy

Welcome! If you're looking into resin/strung BJDs, Den of Angels is another good forum to check out (if you haven't already) and they even have a doll making section, too.

Have there been any specific Smart Dolls or Dollfie Dreams that have caught your eye?

Beware--they tend to multiply. Once you get one, they'll want a friend, a sister, etc. haha

• Like 2

PhoenyxAshe

Oh, I've already figured that out with just my made ones...  which is why I've been printing them at half scale - I need the room!  The two photo boxes I grabbed for storage (one over-flowing with fabric) are getting crowded already, and I still have to string the male doll today... and hope he fits.  If not, I may have to do test runs on the storage/display cases earlier than planned.  I suspect I will be making several, as many of my test subjects have already started to grow on me, even the one who flops around wildly (but also does an almost perfect chin-on-knees sitting pose).

I've heard of Den of Angels, but some of the older comments on a 3D printing forum suggested they were very strict about adhering to resin-only topics.  And if I'm honest, while I know there are methods for making molds for both 3D printed and polymer clay dolls for resin-casting... that really isn't my thing.  Those comments were old, though, so I may give them a peek anyway.

As for the dolls for myself? ... I've been resisting looking very hard in that direction until I get this project done, because I could lose myself so easily in looking at all the options.  This doesn't mean I haven't looked - I've spent possibly way too many hours looking at different doll brands, styles, sizes, not to mention clothes, accessories, wigs... so many things.  But I've been limiting myself to studying designs and concepts to incorporate into the project.  The anime style is most common, for instance, but I think something along the semi-real would be a better fit for the gift.  I would love some of the more fantastical costumes.  Mom would like some, but be more inclined in a different direction.  Then there's the newbie's confusion over brands, which one is vinyl (besides the main three) and which is resin?

So I am building up a growing collection of links to get back to, probably after the first of the next year, because after Mom's birthday the Christmas season will be barreling in to prep for.   Which, since after seeing some of the price tags, I should probably have enough funds tucked away that I won't have to put cost over my best choice.

So.. yeah.  Now off to check on the re-printing of my boy's face - there was a weird band across the first one, then on to making eyes - which I probably will make molds for because I do like different options to play with in that regard.

• Haha 1

Manaphyyy

Haha good call on the half-scale, definitely helpful!

The the criteria for on-topic dolls on DoA does say it must be cast in resin (except for DDs because they were grandfathered in), but the doll making portion of DoA is kind of a special deal because it was separate, then merged back into DoA.... last year, I want to say. I just checked and see a lot of discussion about 3D modelling as well as physically crafted dolls, so there may still be some use there, even if the final product can't be shared elsewhere on the forum.

I definitely also stored a ton of bookmarks of dolls I liked when I first started getting into the hobby and figuring out which beauty to buy. It's so easy to want 50 at once (but luckily my wallet screams loud enough to prevent that from actually happening).

Good luck on finishing your project, I'm sure your mom will love it with all the care you're putting into making it!

• Like 1