Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

AveragePigeon

Questions about modding a DD Head

AveragePigeon

I fell down a rabbithole recently about all the crazy stuff that Danny Choo has done in the past, and as much as SmD Mirai is adorable, I don't want to buy from them. My questions are is there a DD head that looks similar to the Mirai head, or is there a way to mod one to look somewhat similar? 

Thanks!

AveragePigeon

To add on, mainly the eye shape and the smile are what I would like in a sculpt, if that makes sense?

BeyondTime
8 minutes ago, AveragePigeon said:

My questions are is there a DD head that looks similar to the Mirai head, or is there a way to mod one to look somewhat similar? 

I haven’t seen any that come close. Smartdolls have a much flatter facial profile that DD. Uzuki Simamura, Mio Honda, and Kizuna AI have a similar cuteness, but not a real resemblance to Mirai. 

If you want Mirai, but not from Danny, she isn’t too uncommon on Mandarake.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

AveragePigeon
Just now, BeyondTime said:

I haven’t seen any that come close. Smartdolls have a much flatter facial profile that DD. Uzuki Simamura, Mio Honda, and Kizuna AI have a similar cuteness, but not a real resemblance to Mirai. 

If you want Mirai, but not from Danny, she isn’t too uncommon on Mandarake.

Uzuki Shimamura has definitely caught my eye, but the idolmaster line seems to be so pricey second hand! I like how DD doesn't have the flat faces, I just really like Mirai's smile and eye shape, if that makes sense!

I'll have to check that more often, although having a SmD head on a DD body sounds ideal, but I'm not sure if that's a possibility!

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

BeyondTime
48 minutes ago, AveragePigeon said:

I'll have to check that more often, although having a SmD head on a DD body sounds ideal, but I'm not sure if that's a possibility!

I think you have to mod the neck joint to do it.

It looks like Mirai, Kizuna V1, Ivory, Melody, and Julia are all the same sculpt in Milk.

48 minutes ago, AveragePigeon said:

Uzuki Shimamura has definitely caught my eye, but the idolmaster line seems to be so pricey second hand!

They have an Uzuki for ¥90,000 but she's a fixer upper who will need a lot of stain removal and some of her clothing has stains that may not be fixable. It looks like some discoloration from corrosion of the metal buttons. There are also some shiny spots on her scalp that look like residue from some sort of adhesive or clear coat. The doll itself is probably fixable, but the clothing seems iffy. You can pretty much dress her in anything cute and feminine though.

They have another for ¥120,000 with the wig listed as "slightly disordered" but I'm here to tell you that Uzuki's wig was disordered new out of the box. It's a very complicated wig and hard to keep neat. She's worth the effort though, and worth ¥120k imo. With that said I would probably hold off getting a limited DD from Mandarake or Yahoo! Japan Auctions until after the pandemic has passed. The stock on limited dolls seems unusually low the last few months and that means prices are probably high.

Mio Honda has a very similar face, there are differences but have to look closely to tell them apart, and she's never been all that expensive aftermarket. Mandarake has her for ¥70,000 yen. She was an unpopular release, probably because her character in the anime was quite annoying, and Volks actually had to run a follow up lottery after a lot of people declined to pay when they won. I'm guessing that was mostly scalpers who found they couldn't move the ones they bought at the Dolpa. She's really cute in person, so there was nothing wrong with the doll to explain her unpopularity.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

AveragePigeon
1 minute ago, BeyondTime said:

I think you have to mod the neck joint to do it.

It looks like Mirai, Kizuna V1, Ivory, Melody, and Julia are all the same sculpt in Milk.

They have an Uzuki for ¥90,000 but she's a fixer upper who will need a lot of stain removal and some of her clothing has stains that may not be fixable. It looks like some discoloration from corrosion of the metal buttons. There are also some shiny spots on her scalp that look like residue from some sort of adhesive or clear coat. The doll itself is probably fixable, but the clothing seems iffy. You can pretty much dress her in anything cute and feminine though.

They have another for ¥120,000 with the wig listed as "slightly disordered" but I'm here to tell you that her wig was disordered new out of the box. It's a very complicated wig and hard to keep neat. She's worth the effort though, and worth ¥120k imo. With that said I would probably hold off getting a limited DD from Mandarake or Yahoo! Japan Auctions until after the pandemic has passed. The stock on limited dolls seems unusually low the last few months and that means prices are probably high.

Mio Honda has a very similar face, there are differences but have to look closely to tell them apart, and she's never been all that expensive aftermarket. Mandarake has her for ¥70,000 yen. She was an unpopular release, probably because her character in the anime was quite annoying, and Volks actually had to run a follow up lottery after a lot of people declined to pay when they won. I'm guessing that was mostly scalpers who found they couldn't move the ones they bought at the Dolpa. She's really cute in person, so there was nothing wrong with the doll to explain her unpopularity.

Wow, that's really helpful, thank you so much!!

I think I honestly will just save and wait to get a DD! I looked through all their limited sculpts earlier today, and had Mio Honda on my list, so I'll have to take another look at her!! I really appreciate all your help!

Jezrah

You could also just use an 06 head. Mirai's mouth isn't so much shaped into a smile as painted that way. You can do the same with an 06.

Edited by Jezrah
  • Like 1

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

AveragePigeon
6 hours ago, Jezrah said:

You could also just use an 06 head. Mirai's mouth isn't so much shaped into a smile as painted that way. You can do the same with an 06.

That's really helpful to know! Thank you! 

AveragePigeon
Just now, jadepixel said:

Volks DD Yuki Morikawa was the original inspiration for Mirai, but she's also an expensive older doll. I think an 06 head with custom faceup would be fine too 😊

4e69ad42e9c78604e5ead5f138abe5d0.jpg

Thank you so much!!! The older ones can get so pricey at times!