Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Veravey

Waiting for Min and Thys~ (OCs)

Veravey

Hello everyone~ 

As I save up for my first dolls, I thought I might introduce my future girls: Min and Thys! I'm a ways away from getting them, but the good news is that gives me time to prepare outfits and accessories for them. To start, I wanted to introduce them with some illustrations I made. I chose to take a photo of the drawings instead of scan them to preserve that soft pencil effect; I find it gets lost in scans often times and I like the aesthetic of raw pencil. 

Thanks for stopping by and meeting my future dolls (*´∀`*)

---

PXL_20201003_040043135.jpg.4c5adc382f636d3ccb061c040722967d.jpg 

Minerva (or Min for short)

Min is a book loving witch who would stay reading in her library for decades if she could. She's studying to become a master in arcane magic. Despite being the biggest of book-worms, she quite social and often teases her good friend Thys. Above all else, though, she believes in loyalty and doing the right thing. Min doesn't come from any particularly powerful witches bloodline, but as an apprentice she quickly rose past her classmates and graduated sooner than expected. She now lives in the woods, studying and making a living by selling scrolls, absorbing more books than she can keep up with, often to the demise of her wallet.

Doll: She's going to be a Ruby SmD; Ruby's eyes and smile are so warm and kind I immediately fell in love with her. I'll likely get a couple different sets of eyes for her, I can't decide if the original ruby eyes or a different red, purple, or orange might look nice. Her original red wig suits her really well.

Outfit: I'm planning on making the above shirt for her, from a stiffer textile and in a darker colour (I'll have to learn how to line clothing, yikes...) I haven't decide on bottoms and shoes for her, yet. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to see them!

Accessories: Books. Definitely some books. I've made small notebooks in the past, so I'm excited to try something to Min's scale. Maybe I'll even try for a leather cover (´∀`) Then I have plans to make a small coffee table, a rug, and a bunch of pillows, too. She'll be sitting on a small shelf beside my desk so I want her space to feel comfy. I'll eventually make some jewelry, but that will likely happen last or after she comes home.

PXL_20201003_0402288467.jpg.58e62c392029b52c4ed44a9ddef42a93.jpg

Thysania (or Thys for short)

Her name comes from the scientific name for the white witch moth, thysania agrippina. Thys comes from a long and very powerful line of witches who specialize in shapeshifting. Her family is especially gifted in transforming into moths and have passed down their gift through many generations. Unlike Min, Thys is passionate though lacked a stronger natural talent. Ever since she was little, she struggled to keep up with the other children in learning magic. As a result, she grew to often wear a scowl on her face as she concentrated. In later years, she found herself alone more often than not, but she didn't mind; this gave her more time to practice her alchemy and shapeshifting. This lead her to many nights spent in the library at school, where she and Min eventually became good friends by chance. Now living together, Min likes to tease Thys when she's wearing an especially deep scowl by saying "don't be such a thistle!" She might look annoyed on the outside, but she's very happy to have such a warm and loyal friend. She makes a living by selling alchemical brews of varying effect.

Doll: I'm still deciding on Thys' doll and I'm not in a rush since I'll be getting Min first. However, I'm leaning towards SmD Moment. I think she would look so cute beside a Ruby! They contrast each other so much, their personalities seem so different but they still somehow suit each other. I'm definitely getting her green eyes, lighter ones that seem both alluring and warm. I think her wig will be a warm light grey, but I haven't started looking for one yet.

Concept: I got the idea to make her moth themed after my favorite character from a game called Onmyoji. The character is Mushishi, and I especially love her awakened design that's full of beiges, gold, and off-whites. I've always loved moths to begin with, especially the big fluffy ones. 

Outfit: I don't have much planned yet since I'm working on Min first, but Thys' main feature will be a fluffy white shoulder wrap that mimics the fluff some moth species have around their necks. Like in the drawing, I'll probably make her a long cape, with slits on both sides where she can bring out her arms.

Accessories: like Min, Thys will sit on a small shelf beside my desk, all to herself. I'm planning some small shelves for her glass jars full of dried plants and other alchemy goodies. She'll likely also get a fuzzy rug to sit on, and some pillows.

---

If you made it this far, thank you so, so much for stopping by and reading about my future girls. I'm beyond excited to begin my BJD journey with lots of dress-ups and photoshoots. I can't really explain where I got the idea for them to be witches, or why, but it seems to suit them. I've always found charming witch stories like Little Witch Academia, Maria the Virgin Witch, and more comforting. And forest themed stories like Arriety and the Witch's Flower seem so cute.

Thanks again, and I'll likely be posting progress photos in the coming months. Cheers~ (^v^)

Edited by Veravey
corrected title
  • Like 3

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

Lynn

Aww, they look so cute! I really like the character concept of them both. 

• Like 1

Tierparkzone

These are some cute drawings and they really resemble the Dolls you intend to get for the characters.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:07 PM, Veravey said:

Outfit: I'm planning on making the above shirt for her, from a stiffer textile and in a darker colour (I'll have to learn how to line clothing, yikes...)

Do remember that, while vinyl doll owners are usually wary of dark colored fabric, not every dark fabric is prone to staining.

Artificial fabrics like Polyester on Nylon may very well have their pigment directly inside the fibers (instead of being dyed afterwards), in which case they don't stain. If you're planning to make clothes by yourself anyway, it's probably best to look out for fabrics (and threads) like this and don't have to worry about lining them.

Unfortunately, I can't really give you any advice on how to identify how the fabric is dyed beforehand - maybe your local fabrics store staff can help out?

And stain testing is still the best method to be safe. - When you order your Doll, ask if they would kindly include some scrap vinyl in lighter skin tones for stain testing. From cutting flashes, they usually have lots of bits left over, that they're happy to provide.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:07 PM, Veravey said:

I haven't decide on bottoms and shoes for her, yet. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to see them!

Maybe some roughly knee length pencil skirt? That could look kinda cute. And for witches it's always boots, right? 😁

• Like 1

Veravey
1 hour ago, Lynn said:

Aww, they look so cute! I really like the character concept of them both. 

Thank you! I really really can't wait to get them. And that's sweet of you to say; I was hoping their concepts seemed even a little cohesive haha

Veravey

4 minutes ago, Tierparkzone said:

And stain testing is still the best method to be safe. - When you order your Doll, ask if they would kindly include some scrap vinyl in lighter skin tones for stain testing.

Great information on dyes! I've been reading up a bit this week and I noticed people saying it depends on the material and dying process. I'm commissioned a friend for some wool sweaters, but they're very light coloured´・ᴗ・`

And yes, absolutely. I saw a YouTuber recommend requesting some chips for stain testing so that's #1 on my list of shipping requests! Great tip for a new BJD hobbyist.

Quick question on that though: when stain testing, do you just rub the textile on the chip and if it is a staining type, will it show immediately? I thought I remembered someone saying some of their older Dollfies stained from wearing the same item for a long period of time.

4 minutes ago, Tierparkzone said:

Maybe some roughly knee length pencil skirt?

Funny you say that, I came across a pattern on Etsy of an adorable pencil skirt with 6 buttons on the waist! I'm hoping to give her a more scholarly look, so I think it'll fit just right (*´∀`*)

Thanks for taking the time to read all of that~

Tierparkzone
1 hour ago, Veravey said:

Quick question on that though: when stain testing, do you just rub the textile on the chip and if it is a staining type, will it show immediately? I thought I remembered someone saying some of their older Dollfies stained from wearing the same item for a long period of time.

Again, it depends. - I'd recommend...

Step 1: Rub the fabric against the vinyl.

Step 2: Rub a finger against the fabric - then the finger against the vinyl. (Some dyes are soluble by the oils produced by your skin.)

If any of those leave marks on your vinyl, they're basically stain monsters. While lining etc. may prevent direct contact, any less than absolutely careful handling will end in stains. Best avoid!

For the following steps: Tightly wrap a piece of vinyl in the fabric (keep a clean piece of vinyl for reference.)

Step 3: Check after a couple of hours. If you have marks it's not much better than a stain monster.

Anything that passes step 3 is probably safe with lining, body stockings etc.

Step 4: Check after about three days.

Anything that passes Step 4 likely won't cause issues when worn for potoshoots or short term dressups. Even without additional protective measures.

Step 5: Check after a week (or multiple if you're patient enough).

If it passes this as well, it's probably safe. Still make sure to redress / check your doll every once in a while.

Edited by Tierparkzone
  • Like 1

Veravey

Amazing guide! Thank you, I can't wait to start testing 🥰

Jezrah

I like your drawings, they're soft and pretty. I especially like Thys's fur stole, since it looks like you could touch it and it would be soft.

Another note for when sewing your own clothes- remember to use polyester thread as well, since dark colored cotton thread will stain. Sometimes when you buy a piece, the fabric doesn't stain but the thread does, which leaves dark dotted lines where it was in contact.

• Like 2

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Veravey
43 minutes ago, Jezrah said:

I like your drawings, they're soft and pretty. I especially like Thys's fur stole, since it looks like you could touch it and it would be soft.

Another note for when sewing your own clothes- remember to use polyester thread as well.

Thank you, I was going for a soft look so I'm glad to hear it came across!

It didn't even occur to me that the thread could stain, so thank you for pointing that out. I'll have to grab some thread next week then probably.

Veravey

Small update~  I wasn't sure where to share this (if it qualified as crafts) so I figured adding to this thread made the most sense.

I made shelves for the girls! Put them up yesterday. They're very basic, and I still need to sand them, but they match the rest of the décor in my room/office. The brackets are from Amazon in 6" and the wood is untreated 1x8 pine which the lumber store kindly cut for me in-store.

I hope they'll be comfy sitting here beside me and the window. The empty pots are for some bonsai seedlings I planted recently; they're beginning to sprout (yay!) and I'm hoping I can repot them soon.

I've had Ema from Shirobako on my desk for 2 years now; she's a reminder to work hard to achieve your dreams.

814597780_minandthysshelves.jpg.a000fdec22352d40d02baa8b82ef56b0.jpg

• Like 2

daydreammoment
On 10/3/2020 at 1:07 AM, Veravey said:

As a result, she grew to often wear a scowl on her face as she concentrated.

This makes me think of the smD, Kizuna. She has a face of deep concentration.

I really enjoyed reading about the backstory for your SmDs. I also enjoy reading books about magic and witches and other fantasy type books. I just got Moment and I will probably develop her story around some type of magic.

• Like 1

Veravey
8 hours ago, daydreammoment said:

I just got Moment and I will probably develop her story around some type of magic.

I'd love to see what you write! And if you have her, some photos would also be great 🥰

As for Kizuna, I definitely considered her! But something about Moments innocent look feels like a better fit. I was worried Kizuna's scowl is a bit too... Intense (^▽^;) she's a beautiful doll, though, and quite unique. 

Also I can't believe I forgot to mention Witch Hat Atlier and Ancient Magus Bride! They're incredible and some of my favorite series to ever come out.

Witch stories and the worlds they build are just so whimsical and wonderful~

Edited by Veravey

Veravey

I finally found the right wig for Thys, and proceeded to order it immediately...

The grey and off-white tones will suite her moth theme perfectly~ I originally pictured an even longer wig, but realized this length might be easier to deal with as she'll mostly be sitting for now.

And who are we kidding, she'll get more wigs down the road anyway @onion9@

Someone here recommended Leekeworld; I had no luck on Etsy or a couple other sites. The wig: http://en.leekeworld.com/product/twoslate/109/?cate_no=54

342709432_thyshair.jpg.62f6bc7797a6a0382600cf24343cf8db.jpg

On that topic, where do you guys like to get wigs?

Edited by Veravey
grammar
  • Like 1

daydreammoment
20 hours ago, Veravey said:

But something about Moments innocent look feels like a better fit.

Actually, Moment is currently sitting on my shelf in the "yoga room" in a lotus position and she does look like she's in deep concentration! She's a beautiful fit.  Actually, the wig that came with her looks a lot like the one you have in the picture above. I have gotten a bunch of wigs.  I haven't had time to try them though.  I'll let you know if they are a good fit and then where I got them.  I actually found some on amazon of all places.  I also found some on Etsy. I'll post some pictures when I figure out how - The first ones I tried didn't work for some reason. I have a few pictures of her on instagram - amomenttodream.

• Like 1

Veravey
1 hour ago, daydreammoment said:

I'll let you know if they are a good fit and then where I got them. 

That would be super! Actually, do you by chance have both Real Eyes and Anime Eyes from SmD? I'm curious how the smaller Real Eyes would look on her but I haven't found any photos of them online (^▽^)

daydreammoment
On 10/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, Veravey said:

That would be super! Actually, do you by chance have both Real Eyes and Anime Eyes from SmD? I'm curious how the smaller Real Eyes would look on her but I haven't found any photos of them online (^▽^)

I do have some reals eyes to try. I haven’t tried them in her but I have a chaos head from smart doll that is Anime but has the smaller eyes and they looked good in her. I have also seen her on line in real eyes. I will have to try them in her. Right now I’m on a trip but when I get back I will do it.

Veravey
11 minutes ago, daydreammoment said:

I do have some reals eyes to try. I

Amazing! Thank you!! Safe travels, can't wait to see when you're back~

Riesz

Your concept art is AMAZING! Your style reminds me a lot of Rune Factory artwork @onion8@

Margaret.png

I can't wait for any updates on your dolls!!! I'm so excited for your lovely concepts to be realised! 💖

• Like 1

Veravey
4 hours ago, Riesz said:

Your style reminds me a lot of Rune Factory artwork

Oh gosh, thank you, that means a lot (*ノ∀`*) I'm a big fan of the Rune Factory and Atlier franchises' concept art!

• Like 1

daydreammoment
On 10/14/2020 at 11:13 PM, daydreammoment said:

Actually, do you by chance have both Real Eyes and Anime Eyes from SmD?

My real eyes aren't from Smd, but they are from ErsafloraUSA on Etsy.  Here is Moment in those eyes and a wig from ZaZoudolls on Etsy.

1FF6AF1C-5F4E-40A4-B0B2-9EB9C6076D92_1_105_c

Please excuse that I need to smooth the wig a bit after getting it out of storage.  Maybe I'll store some of them on my chaos heads.

• Like 1

Veravey

I think they work great! What do you think? Also that brunette colour works so well on her too <3

daydreammoment

Here are some other wigs I got.  The first 2 I bought on Amazon - 1/3 size - They were very easy to put on.  they are Muzi wigs.

0275F7FD-554B-4131-AE12-CC38911E30F4_1_105_c471CEE8B-6FAD-43C7-B09B-A09E3F7DF16D_1_105_c

The next 2 I have are from Etsy.  The seller is BJDhouse. They were sized "Little 1/3 (8"-9")

2281557C-27D6-4F7A-A920-CD866537F7AC_1_105_c26E99616-8F31-4F0A-BCCC-CC3BBD39EF41_1_102_o

Here she is in here SmD wig.  It was the hardest to get on.  It is very smooth but definitely thinner than the others.

591A84E3-C2BD-4328-872F-6ACD2E23323B_1_105_c

daydreammoment
7 minutes ago, Veravey said:

I think they work great! What do you think? Also that brunette colour works so well on her too <3

Yes, I do too.  I like the brunet color the best!

daydreammoment

LOL - I think I'm going to leave her in the dark wig right now.  My husband is going to freak - He'll think I bought another doll!😁

• Haha 1

Veravey

Small update!

I've made a hanging bar for their coats and future outdoor wear~ I used a 3/16" dowel, hanging from some heavy-duty paperclips that I reshaped and trimmed to fit. Everything is hanging from small holes at the bottom of the shelf brackets that are meant to screw the shelves to the brackets [which I didn't do (´∀`;)]

The hangers were $10 CAD for 10 on Amazon, I love them!

1164827064_hangingbar.jpg.f9e72f06605cfd889a8db8b05d7f5b83.jpg

• Like 2