Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

plasticyears

Silicon eye mould question!

plasticyears

I'm planning to make custom eyes for my DD and Angelphilia girls. In order to make the eye bases I've been looking at silicon moulds, to use with uv cure resin. All of the ones I can find are shaped like this, with a round hole in the middle to place the printed design: 

spacer.png

(Image by VelvetWay on Etsy)

However, I want to make eyes that look more like these with a flat top, no hole: 

126464925_396622661387626_8140699875412027964_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=KbkwdMcmmeMAX8_WgHa&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr6-1.fna&oh=2842a91f3b6e55142a31758f7acd4a70&oe=5FDC5155

(Image by Kakusorkr on Twitter) 

I've mostly seen creators in the Japanese side of the hobby do it this way. From what I see, the eye base is made, the printed eye stuck on top, and then covered in a layer of clear resin. I really like the way it looks. I've been looking for moulds for this shape but I can't find any, does anyone know if they exist? I suppose I could make a custom shape with epoxy and create a silicon mould for it (tips on how to do this with silicon are welcome!) but I'd rather buy a mould if possible! I'd be open to commissioning one as well if anyone offers this type of service? 

Thank you for any advice or insight you may have! ♡ 

OccultBeast

I personally haven't seen any molds in this sort of shape you're looking for, but I can tell you it's relatively easy to create your own silicone mold!  This also might be a good way to go, if you can find clear silicone (which will allow the opaque white resin to cure better on all sides, as the UV light can penetrate through all sides and not just on the back of the eye, as an opaque mold may not let the UV resin cure at all on the hidden parts).  You can find tons of tutorials for making molds on YouTube, and it's a pretty simple process.

You can do it without a vacuum as well, even though a lot of things will recommend having one, as long as you work at the correct temperature and pour slowly and from a decent height.  The silicone I linked seems to have a long work time (and good reviews), which is good, as it'll allow bubbles to escape for longer.  I've made a few molds myself and didn't have any issues aside from one or two tiny air bubbles in a tight detail-heavy spot, so doing eye blanks should have no problems at all really, as there's no place for any air bubbles to get trapped.  You can use something like a plastic cup with the bottom cut off to pour in; you'll stick your blanks onto a piece of packing tape, then stick the cup around them, and hot-glue the edges to prevent any spilling, and then just mix an equal ratio of silicone and pour in slowly via a tiny stream!  Most bubbles should escape that way, and once it's fully cured, you'll have a perfect clear mold for UV resin~

• Like 1

plasticyears
8 hours ago, OccultBeast said:

I personally haven't seen any molds in this sort of shape you're looking for, but I can tell you it's relatively easy to create your own silicone mold!  This also might be a good way to go, if you can find clear silicone (which will allow the opaque white resin to cure better on all sides, as the UV light can penetrate through all sides and not just on the back of the eye, as an opaque mold may not let the UV resin cure at all on the hidden parts).  You can find tons of tutorials for making molds on YouTube, and it's a pretty simple process.

You can do it without a vacuum as well, even though a lot of things will recommend having one, as long as you work at the correct temperature and pour slowly and from a decent height.  The silicone I linked seems to have a long work time (and good reviews), which is good, as it'll allow bubbles to escape for longer.  I've made a few molds myself and didn't have any issues aside from one or two tiny air bubbles in a tight detail-heavy spot, so doing eye blanks should have no problems at all really, as there's no place for any air bubbles to get trapped.  You can use something like a plastic cup with the bottom cut off to pour in; you'll stick your blanks onto a piece of packing tape, then stick the cup around them, and hot-glue the edges to prevent any spilling, and then just mix an equal ratio of silicone and pour in slowly via a tiny stream!  Most bubbles should escape that way, and once it's fully cured, you'll have a perfect clear mold for UV resin~

Thank you for the advice! it helps to know someone else has done something and knows a few tips. 

• Like 1