Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
That_Dollfie_Dude

Post Apocalyptic clothing

That_Dollfie_Dude

Hello friends!  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I saw that Danny put out a Christmas greeting on his Instagram, which is nice, of course.  He has three dolls dressed in "post apocalyptic" clothing.  I really love smart dolls (the anime style ones), and I do like their "fashion doll" street clothing look.  It's a great companion to Volk's more gothic lolita styling (which I also love!).  But I must say that I just don't understand this "post apocalyptic" stuff.  It just looks so ugly to me.  Is it a reference to Fallout or some other kind of fantasy world or something that I just am not familiar with?  Are there fans of this fashion on here?  I don't mean to be rude, I just genuinely don't understand it.  Thanks so much.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJNq9QQB04u/

• Like 1

Tasuke

seems to be an increasingly in-vogue motif lately, i've noticed myself.

suppose you can blame the "THE WALKING DEAD" generation, or, perhaps, a ground-swell of nostalgia for 1990's-era "Grunge"

as someone who suffered their teens through the 1990's, i'm in no particular hurry to see that Edgelord-addled age return...

• Like 3

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

moerunamida

I'm not into Smart Dolls anymore, but I do not like the washed out clothes either. I miss the bright colors of clothes he used to make like the Mirai maid outfit and the orange puffer jacket. The world lacks so much color and vibrancy nowadays, I don't want my dolls to match.

• Like 7

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

MagicantAce

I kiiinda like the worn out look? I think it depends on the doll and the character I'd have in mind for them.

• Like 1

Meowjima

they look like dirty sweats/gym clothes.  PAss.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

HannGS
On 12/28/2020 at 8:40 PM, Deyja said:

I'm not into Smart Dolls anymore, but I do not like the washed out clothes either. I miss the bright colors of clothes he used to make like the Mirai maid outfit and the orange puffer jacket. The world lacks so much color and vibrancy nowadays, I don't want my dolls to match.

That's true. It seems that Dani focused on productivity more than quality... I miss their old clothes, they were fabulous! ♥

• Like 1

Mainframe110

The page for one of the camisoles has a photo that seems to be showcasing a hole that ripped between the shirt material and the strap. It's so prominent in the photo I have to wonder if it's intentional or not? Just as I don't buy ripped jeans, I'm not exactly eager to put down $65 on distressed doll clothes. Tho I admit I do greatly admire the dedication to detail when it comes to the smart doll clothing seams and construction, how they're just about as well designed as human clothes? That does make me smile haha

image.png.46d50e874b8a29b1ccc27a0e5a1d490b.png

Edited by Mainframe110
  • Sad 2

Miabird24

I'm like 50/50 on it, I dont hate it but I definitely prefer things like the mirai uniform and colorful hoodies. I'm sad the winter uniform or solar marine outfit never got produced.

Edited by Miabird24
  • Like 1

DreamDollDesign

I got turned off of Smart Dolls once Danny switched to the colorless, distressed clothing. I'm not big on the modern fashion doll look, either. I like colorful anime-style dolls and clothes.

• Like 1

jadepixel

I don't mind post-apocalyptic clothing if it's technical, there's some very cool asymmetric square-hemmed hooded tunics and such if you google it. That would also feel more fashion-forward.

Really first thing I think of is thriftstore bargain rack Old Navy when I see things like that torn tank top. The boot-cut jeans, tank tops, henleys, cargo pants, etc are all straight out of 1995 and are very unhip to me 'cause I lived that already  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

moerunamida
15 hours ago, Mainframe110 said:

The page for one of the camisoles has a photo that seems to be showcasing a hole that ripped between the shirt material and the strap. It's so prominent in the photo I have to wonder if it's intentional or not? Just as I don't buy ripped jeans, I'm not exactly eager to put down $65 on distressed doll clothes. Tho I admit I do greatly admire the dedication to detail when it comes to the smart doll clothing seams and construction, how they're just about as well designed as human clothes? That does make me smile haha

Wow, that's crazy. Sad too that I don't know if it was intended or purely an accident, but whoa your eyes go right to it. I don't buy his clothes anymore with the exception being that pink bikini. If I ever want something again, this is a serious issue to debate about. I never understood buying jeans that looked trashed (especially when they are $$$) when I could do it for free to an old pair 😛

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

bluepita

The post-apocalyptic clothes phase has saved me a lot of money. I like some of the stuff he has put out lately that moves away from that like the yellow jacket. 

BeyondTime
On 12/30/2020 at 3:42 PM, Mainframe110 said:

The page for one of the camisoles has a photo that seems to be showcasing a hole that ripped between the shirt material and the strap.

This is my big issue with his distressed clothing. I totally get giving the post-apocalyptic line a weathered look, but an ordinary piece of clothing like this? Who on earth would go out in public with a top that had a rip in it like this? You'd just look like a bum, and I don't know a lot of girls who want to look like a bum.

• Like 5

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

finnleo

Sticking my nose into topics unrelated to my daily life while being bored of garage projects, so...

On 12/31/2020 at 1:42 AM, Mainframe110 said:

The page for one of the camisoles has a photo that seems to be showcasing a hole that ripped between the shirt material and the strap.

9 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

This is my big issue with his distressed clothing.

From a technical standpoint from what little sewing i've done, it looks like the edges are a separate piece of fabric folded over itself and sewn together, and the main body fabric might have slipped from between the fold, or just wasnt in far enough in places and tore out. This happened a fair bit when I was copying the Nyn55 bikini's awhile back -- so its a relatively complicated piece to make if im honest -- at least from a beginners stand point.

Why showcase this one though?

putting on my devil cosplay, considering the relative peace and quiet of "The thread" (a record breaking two month silence, W00000000T!) it could be an attempt at trying to trigger people, since price vs. quality received has been a topic on occasion.

But if it was an honest attempt at selling a premium product, its a fail.

If its an attempt at showcasing you might not get a premium product despite paying premium price, its questionable.

considering the general polished nature of all things culture japan, its probably not a overlooked thing.

sunlightandtea

I have to agree. The post apocalyptic look isn’t really my thing. I was a huge fan of the more anime style clothing, gorgeous and bright, and so well made. But I have to give points to Danny because he offers so many of his clothes as free patterns. If I don’t like the look of something, I’m definitely free to make a version of it myself (though, not as high quality). 

The yellow jacket on the other hand looks fantastic. I would love to see more stuff in that aesthetic vein. He made a custom ‘Lavender Quartz’ Lana Torabishi doll once and it reminds me of that. 

• Like 2

Steffi-Panda

Some of post apocalyptic clothing is okay looking. I do like the more vibrant colored  clothes better.

ladyroselie

I also find the post apocalyptic look depressing. I like to dress my dolls in my clothes I love, and I love looks that are basically pastel fairy mori girl 😆

Plus, I live in the pacific Northwest, people pretty much dress just like that and it sucks. You literally get snide comments for wearing colorful clothes 😕

On the one hand I hope it's just a style phase. DC does say that his main customer is himself, but on the other hand I can find clothes that are just as well made for less and they're in my style (and supporting independent artists is a bonus).

lucidium
On 12/30/2020 at 6:42 PM, Mainframe110 said:

I own two of these camis, neither of them have distressing. So unless he's trying something new (which wouldn't be surprising), this isn't standard for this item.

MaleficentMrsofEvil

Unpopular opinion here - I love it! I love the distressed looks, the denim, and all the fading. 

I also love the realistic face sculpts. Do I want a super-sized Barbie? Yes. Yes, I do. 

The more time I spend on this forum, the more I'm starting to want a Smart Doll. Y'all are contagious!

• Like 3

BeyondTime
On 8/25/2021 at 3:47 PM, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

Unpopular opinion here - I love it! I love the distressed looks, the denim, and all the fading.

Not necessarily unpopular, but perhaps more along the lines of uncommon. 

My own take is more along the lines of a place for everything, and everything in it’s place. It’s the stuff that feels out of place that it doesn’t work. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Katsudon

Yeah, I think the clothes are fine. Plus there are the odd basics like jeans and t-shirts which aren't strictly post apocalyptic. For me it's more that it doesn't suit my doll's personality. If it did, I would definitely be snapping some of this stuff up!

I do wish that the weathering etc followed the more traditional methods for fashion, which would make a more authentically worn in look... but that's again just me. There are other doll clothing creators that take that kinda route so, meh, tbh you can get anything by looking around. No one shop is gonna be for everyone.