Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
SnailFever

Full-body painting?

SnailFever

Has anyone ever painted their entire doll to achieve a custom skintone, as opposed to dyeing? I've been mentally preparing myself to dye my newest girl, but I'm very nervous about it. I do have experience painting an entire doll, but only resin dolls. Has anyone ever tried this with favorable results?

baldylox

I personally didn't do this but it definitely can be done to great effect depending on what you want.  This is a thread showing a full body blushing that was done on one of my DDdy girls.  She has blushing and freckles all over her body.  Check it out and see what you think.  :)

Tasha gets full body blushing & freckles! - Photos - DollDreaming

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

OccultBeast
14 minutes ago, baldylox said:

full body blushing that was done on one of my DDdy girls.

In your experience, does body blushing on vinyl dolls hold up better than on resin dolls?  For resin, since tension is what holds the doll together and allows them to pose, there's a lot of friction in the joints, and body blushing tends to be damaged first at those joints.  Since vinyl doesn't need that tension, I would assume there's less chance of damage happening, but I'd love to hear your firsthand thoughts on the durability, especially since Tasha got her freckles a few years back, now~

baldylox
23 hours ago, OccultBeast said:

In your experience, does body blushing on vinyl dolls hold up better than on resin dolls?  For resin, since tension is what holds the doll together and allows them to pose, there's a lot of friction in the joints, and body blushing tends to be damaged first at those joints.  Since vinyl doesn't need that tension, I would assume there's less chance of damage happening, but I'd love to hear your firsthand thoughts on the durability, especially since Tasha got her freckles a few years back, now~

So far Tasha's paint has held up extremely well!  She has a few very tiny scrapes on one knee and the back of one thigh but I think those were my fault when changing tight clothing on her.  I haven't noticed any loss of paint other than those couple of small spots.  Her face and bust and feet are all in perfect shape.  Nothing on her legs or butt or arms either. 

Overall I'm super happy with how she turned out.  And I'm impressed that she hasn't had any issues with her blushing or freckling.

Billy

• Thanks 1

OccultBeast
1 hour ago, baldylox said:

And I'm impressed that she hasn't had any issues with her blushing or freckling.

Me too!  When coming over to vinyl from resin, I was hesitant to even consider body blushing, but I'm glad to hear they seem to hold up a little better, so I might have to consider blushing some parts one day.  Thanks for your expert vinyl knowledge~!  I'm very glad that beautiful freckling work will survive many long years!

• Like 1

baldylox
21 hours ago, OccultBeast said:

Me too!  When coming over to vinyl from resin, I was hesitant to even consider body blushing, but I'm glad to hear they seem to hold up a little better, so I might have to consider blushing some parts one day.  Thanks for your expert vinyl knowledge~!  I'm very glad that beautiful freckling work will survive many long years!

Thanks so much!  <3 

Billy

Gweneveryn
On 1/13/2021 at 7:03 PM, baldylox said:

I personally didn't do this but it definitely can be done to great effect depending on what you want.  This is a thread showing a full body blushing that was done on one of my DDdy girls.  She has blushing and freckles all over her body.  Check it out and see what you think.  :)

Tasha gets full body blushing & freckles! - Photos - DollDreaming

Billy

Hey, so I'm a little late to this thread but I want to say she looks great! 

I'm just curious as to what paint you used for this, and is it sealed in the same way as faceups? I'm looking into doing body blushing for my own dolls but it seems like body blushing/painting is not common so it's been hard to find information regarding methods/materials used. Sorry for the bother ;;

baldylox
3 hours ago, Gweneveryn said:

Hey, so I'm a little late to this thread but I want to say she looks great! 

I'm just curious as to what paint you used for this, and is it sealed in the same way as faceups? I'm looking into doing body blushing for my own dolls but it seems like body blushing/painting is not common so it's been hard to find information regarding methods/materials used. Sorry for the bother ;;

Thank you very much!  

As far as I know my artist used regular Volks paints in an airbrush setup.  She was sealed with something different than MSC tho.  It was for plastics/vinyl and was also sprayed thru the airbrush.  It had to dry for 3 days to make sure it cured as per the label on it.  Once it was cured I put her back together and have not any any cracking or peeling at all.

No bother at all!  Hopefully that helps you a bit.

Billy

• Like 1

luciaxtrix

You can use Angellus leather paints :) It's similar to dyeing in the sense that it absorbs into the vinyl. It also stretches and flexes with the vinyl. However the paint dries slightly shiny, so you'll have to put a coat of MSC or something similar.

• Like 1