Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

A question about packaging.....

baldylox

This has come up a few times for me and whenever the topic pops up, I get some really odd answers.  Odd to me anyway.  😉 

So here's my question.  When you purchase clothing and it comes in a package like Smartdoll bags or Volks bags or even a box, do you keep the packaging it came in or toss it? 

I know that a lot of people have storage systems of various kinds and others have limited space so there are always different options for clothing storage.  But I'm a collector, I always have been.  Even as a kid I always saved and collected all sorts of things.  I save everything I can and clothing packaging is no different.  I always store my stuff in the packages they come in, especially if it's nice like Volks and SmD bags.  It keeps things together and has pics of the clothing on it to make it easily seen.  It also helps with the value if I need to sell anything later on.

But I've talked to people before that are like "Eh, it's just a bag/box/package" and they throw them away.  That makes me wince and cringe so hard.  LOL  😄 

So I wanna know, what does everyone here do?  Are you a "keep everything" collector or do you not worry about such things?

Billy

• Like 2

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Selenae

I don't have a lot of space, so I'm the 'toss the box' type. I regret not keeping my MDD Liliru's box for selling purposes though.

• Like 1

toughstermcg

I've kept the last few Volks outfit bags I got for "just in case", but 99% of the time I don't save the packaging for small things unless it looks reusable, like the ziplock bags most wigs come in, or tiny boxes for individual pairs of eyes.

I used to keep all my doll boxes, in case I ever needed to store or sell them, but about a year ago I had a long hard look at myself and decided that all the dolls I've kept this long are ones that I'm too attached to ever sell (or, for some of my resins, the resale value isn't worth the trouble of selling and shipping). So all the boxes went into the dumpster. The only boxes I have left are a tiny one from just a head, and the long white box with 9S's robot pod that I've still never opened.

OccultBeast

I'm with you!  I keep 100% of things if I can.  For doll things, boxes especially you will have to pry out of my cold dead hands.  I kept the boxes for my doll stands, I've kept boxes for wigs or shoes or accessories.  I keep every single plastic bag that doll clothing or parts come in, especially if they have a zip closure.  I even keep boxes for non-doll items, like gaming consoles, electronics, etc.  I have boxes for Wacom tablets, a box for my PS Vita, boxes for 900 figures...  Even if I have no plans to get rid of the item, I still keep the box!  They make moving so so much easier, or storage if need be.

The only thing I will admit to breaking my habit on is Dollfie Dream hands.  I don't have the space to keep so many plastic boxes!  And every Dollfie Dream item seems to come with its own little paper, detailing how to use it, other related items, etc.  After my... sixth? pair of hands?  I had to say okay, I don't have space for so many boxes.  Boxes for heads, boxes for bust pieces, boxes for hands...  I'm running out of storage space!  I feel like the hands will be the easiest item to ever resell without the original packaging, too, so it doesn't weigh on me too much.

• Like 2

jadepixel

I initially kept everything but decided I didn't have much attachment to it, and it didn't seem to much affect resale value either. So now I just keep unique doll boxes (not the basic yellow/pink/white ones) and outfit packaging. I don't keep shoe packaging, hands get dumped into boxes sorted by skin tone, and outfits without packaging or damaged packaging go into zip bags. Wigs I keep the stuffing/netting/tags and toss the rest.

moerunamida

SmD packing is something I would easily buy on its own for storing clothes so none of those get tossed. Not a fan of Volk's packaging, so that's a 50/50 toss for me. I usually end up using sandwich bags and whatnot for separate storage. Boxes now, I keep them all (at least the dolls that come with one). Sadly, you never know if or when you might need to sell one, and I'd rather have their original boxes for that purpose. Buying boxes, especially BIG boxes is expensive. I also hoard bubble mailers, bubble wrap, and various papers I can use to stuff boxes so nothing jiggles. Reusing packaging is smart and saves you $$.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

sunlightandtea

Depends on the thing. If there's any risk of me reselling it, yes. If no, then no.

Doll boxes and shipping packaging, yes, since it will be difficult to find another box that is the perfect size. Clothing and such, no. It's small, so replacement packaging isn't difficult to find, and for wigs and eyes, I don't re-sell those so there's no point.

Jezrah

Generally I hoard boxes and packing materials so that I can sell things or send packages to relatives without paying for shipping stuff. 

I don't have every doll box I ever had. Some I let go of when I ran out of room in a previous house. One of said boxes belonged to one of my favorite dolls (Akira) and I absolutely would not sell her anyway. 

Packaging for clothes shoes and wigs is hit or miss. I had been getting rid of the clothing packaging from most places because it seemed too flimsy to actually be usefully reusable. Then I changed my mind and started keeping it, and then had to turn around and get rid of it again when I got a clothing moth infestation. At the moment I am keeping things again, but I haven't gotten around to sorting the clothes into more permanent storage in my current house, so we'll see how it goes once that's done. Overall I'm not particularly attached to it, except maybe for the few Smart Doll bags I have, since they're thicker and have truly reusable openings.

As a kid, I would have probably called myself a collector because I liked to keep lots of things that I liked. But I was never the type of Collector that kept things NIB or Mint on Card for the value. I always opened toys and played with them, even special edition Barbies. 

• Like 1

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Tierparkzone

For doll clothes, I tend to keep the sturdier packaging. Although I do not use it to store the clothes. - When dressing my dolls, I tend to mix and match. It would be way to annoying if I had to open several bags every time. I have a few big plastic boxes that hold the clothes divided by type (and to some degree by color).

The SmartDoll ziplock bags are sturdy and I often repurpose them to store hands or other small bibs and bobs.

I also usually keep the clothes packaging from Volks, Azone (because it lists which sizes the clothes fit), etc. most of the time. However when buying clothes in store, the bags usually have the anti-theft label plastered directly over the opening flap. So to open them you need to cut the label first - but without getting a gash into the the packing foil or the packaging will tear itself apart in no time... - If something like this happens, there's no use keeping the foil bag. The hanger and cardboard cutout may come in handy though.

Especially the packaging used by TC-Doll is very prone to tear itself apart when you try to open it. The foil bags are extremely thin, but the glue they use is quite powerful...

Other stuff like wigs and option parts, I keep in their original packaging. These don't get swapped that often and probably are protected best this way.

Anna-neko

I tend to keep the things, until they fall apart. And also will use them
Wigs? Their bags have that cardboard loop to keep it from getting squished. Very useful. DD giant-ass boxes? Store the girls' clothes right in them!
Volks outfits? The bags have a picture with the set checklist what pieces even make an outfit....

Saving a doll's original box isn't because I plan to sell later, but more of convenience for easier display. Stack 'em on each other instead of needing more shelves!
A previous pet liked to chew anything he could reach; one time my precious SailorMoon villainess doll only survived because the box took time to chew through

• Like 1

Roxanne

I've always been a collector and I tend to keep everything.
Knowing me I won't be quick to sell something off. I get too attached to my things to even consider selling them, but I really love using packaging to store my things in.
Not only do I find it neat and easy to find things back like this, it also protects everything from getting dirty over time.

The only time I would consider getting rid of packaging is when I bought something second-hand and it comes to me in a really bad shape to the point it's not even useable anymore and I'd be better off just throwing it away. Even in that case I still find it hard to do, not gonna lie! 😂

• Like 1

My instagram! 

Singer Yuna

I try to keep the clothes, wigs, shoes, and eyes bags...but some like mandarake’s thief proof plastic bags or Azone clothing plastic bags...It’s near impossible opening stuff without tearing plastic apart so those go broken to the bin.

With doll boxes I try to reuse them as clothing containers, like my Shiburin box is the home of Volks steampunk Outfits or Anastasia home of the idol outfits.

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

mayaiincho

I keep all my bags just in case I need to ID them or resell. Same for my dolls. 

looking for - , Marisa Short Wig, full set Beatrice or default face + eyes & Sasara Fullset or default face + eyes.

Dollvari

I keep all original packaging etc., big time collector. I toss the Volks & Azone outfits flimsy bags, I save the picture or paper tag.

I like to store the outfits in zip lock bags.

• Like 2

MrFjmg03

I toss the boxes. I have never keep the boxes of any of my dolls. The reason for me keeping the boxes is a waste of space that I cannot afford. I can use that space to put another doll LOL.

I only have my smart doll box and bags and that’s it. I like the smart doll little bags that came with her as well as the box so that’s the only one I have occupying space. I also have my Angel Philia box and my iplehouse FID box.

Edited by MrFjmg03

sinclair

Depends. Doll boxes, kept them all. Clothes bags, at first I did, but so many don't say what came in them, so after a while I just pitched them and only keep the ones that have a photo on them. But honestly, will probably throw them away eventually anyway.

BeyondTime

I've kept all the doll boxes, but as far as outfit packages go I've only kept the packaging for special character outfits. I used to keep all of them but after awhile keeping bags of full empty product packaging started to seem pointless.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Hologram

For now I've been keeping all boxes and other packaging items just in case if I ever decide to sell the doll/clothes. That may change if it starts being overwhelming but I hope it doesn't come to this lol.

• Like 1

bluepita

I tend to keep all of my packaging unless it just falls apart. But, I wouldn't expect to pay less or sell something for less if it doesn't have the original packaging. I just like to have them myself, because it makes it easier to keep everything together neatly. I have all my doll boxes, at this point. If I ever find packaging that betters protects some of my items, especially wigs that aren't SmD or DD, I'd try those instead. 

Steffi-Panda

I keep doll boxes. Not boxes for hands and such. Ziplock bags for clothes. I keep most of my figures boxes. Not for certain very small prize figures though.

Poofiemus

I do keep the boxes--the actual branded doll boxes, that is, I usually ditch the shipping boxes. I know I'm not going to live in this place forever, so I like knowing I have an organized way to get the dolls safely packed up for any potential move, whenever that is. 

I try to keep wig packaging when I can, especially the hair nets and the tissue that goes into the cap, and I do at least make an attempt at keeping the baggies. I've been pretty good with hair nets but pretty mixed luck with the baggies, so I've got some odd consolidated bags of wigs that don't make sense even to me, lol.

Clothing packaging, I've kept the SmartDoll packaging, the box Homura's purple Dollheart Fer came in, and weirdly a couple of Ali Express items I've gotten have come in oddly sturdy ziplock baggies. The Volks bags, I try to keep, but I think I'm like a death sentence to those things because they inevitably die. When they do die, or if I get something in a really cheap plastic bag, I'll move them into gallon-size ziplock. 

Shoes, I dunno why but those just end up without hte packaging no matter what I do. Apparently, the shoes must be FREEEEEEED.

• Like 2

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Poofiemus said:

I usually ditch the shipping boxes. I know I'm not going to live in this place forever, so I like knowing I have an organized way to get the dolls safely packed up for any potential move, whenever that is. 

Thats one of the main reasons I keep the doll boxes. I may not own my own home for awhile, but eventually I’m going to have to move all these dolls safely. I keep them in the shipping boxes to protect them from damage though. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

ramcoy

i keep the doll box... and i toss all my clothes/shoes packaging

egg

I keep the doll/head boxes, but toss other packaging once I know that I don't have any plans to resell them. I don't have a lot of storage space and have tried to be more conscious of what I keep around!