Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

simsimmerton77

New from So Cal

simsimmerton77

Hi All,

New member Dave here from California.  Joined a few months back and have enjoyed the forum; apologies for taking so long for the intro.  I'll spare you the long life story (edit - too late 😊), but when I was 14 I saw the Movie Akira at a friends house and was always interested in Japanese Anime ever since.  Flash forward *ahem* a "few years" and my kids have been heavily into Anime since they were around 11-ish.  Our family favorite is One Piece. I started collecting Anime figures a while back and totally stumbled onto BJD world purely by accident. 

I should also mention that I have been a huge fan of the Sims video game - like to say I bought the very first game on opening weekend way back *ahem* a "few years" ago. 😄  The world of BJD/Vinyl to me seemed like what I loved = Anime/Sims/Figure collecting all in one.  Several drained wallets later here I am.  I also joined Den of Angles but didn't realize there was a difference between Vinyl and Resin and all that.  I am getting much more educated these days.

Unfortunately the first few dolls I bought were knockoffs.  I had no idea what I was doing or who made what.  Kinda disappoints me.  In my day job I have worked many years for Manufacturers.  When you have put your blood, sweat, and tears into designing a product from the ground up and taking it from an idea - to market, you can understand why I believe it is super important to buy genuine products either from the source or from an Authorized distributor.  That said, I will be perusing the forums reading topics before I buy anything else - this time I am informed.

I am really interested in getting a Smart Doll.  I like the company and their statements, culture, work ethic and all that.  I don't mind buying a doll and waiting however long it takes for an artist to finish it.  Plus their dolls are so cute and put a smile on my face.  To me the Dolls are a work of Art.  If an Artsie-fartsie person can hang a urinal on the wall of a museum and everyone "goes to tears over how beautiful it is" than I feel justified considering BJD to be art form 😉😅.

Lastly, I will add that I never in a million years thought that I'd ever collect Dolls.  But I have always told people I am a man of conflict.  On one hand I practice Martial Arts, love being tough and physical, am very tall and intimate people (not on purpose!), am a Las Vegas Raiders fan and love watching UFC.  But on the other hand I love gardening and raising pretty flowers.  Was a vegan for many years because I have a kindness and compassion for animals.  I am the type that bends down to pick up a ladybug and make sure she's in the bushes not on the sidewalk.  To sum me up, there's an Ancient Chinese provb "better to be a Warrior in a Garden, than a Gardener in a War."

Point being I guess we all have a tough side and a sensitive side.  So BJD/Vinyl dolls are a side of me I didn't know I had but am loving it so far.

OK enough about me!!!!  I look forward to hearing from other members and what got you into this.

• Like 1

nanika

Welcome!  

I'm also from the Southern California area.  If we weren't dealing with the Covid-19 situation, I'd invite you to one of many meetups that we usually have in the area.  @pandy helps organize meetups-- keep an eye out in the "Doll Meet-ups & Events" forum, once life returns to normal (maybe towards the end of the year?)  I don't have a Smart Doll myself, but there are a few people that do that often come to the meetups.

I too, never thought I'd get into dolls.  But I did, after seeing an Azone 50cm doll of my favorite anime character.  I have countless Azone 50/48/45cm dolls and several Dollfie Dreams.  I sort of saw dolls as a figure that you can customize-- change into different outfits and adjust their pose.  I also joined Den of Angels first, before I found out about this forum.  

I'm a fan of the Azone International company, as they seem to genuinely care about their customers & their input, and try to make their products available to as many people as possible.  I appreciate that they don't use lotteries and don't make things super-limited.  They also do small events at their stores in Japan, and offer a seasonal gift with purchase typically-- at their shops in Japan.  (I tend to visit Japan a lot.)  They try to stock the basics-- like white socks, shoes, etc., which I wish other companies would do, such as Volks... 😅  (With Volks, it's a love/hate relationship...)

Here's a photo of my Azone 45-50cm character dolls from "Is the Order a Rabbit?":

Rabbit House Complete1200.png

simsimmerton77
11 hours ago, nanika said:

Welcome!  

I'm also from the Southern California area.  If we weren't dealing with the Covid-19 situation, I'd invite you to one of many meetups that we usually have in the area.  @pandy helps organize meetups-- keep an eye out in the "Doll Meet-ups & Events" forum, once life returns to normal (maybe towards the end of the year?)  I don't have a Smart Doll myself, but there are a few people that do that often come to the meetups.

I too, never thought I'd get into dolls.  But I did, after seeing an Azone 50cm doll of my favorite anime character.  I have countless Azone 50/48/45cm dolls and several Dollfie Dreams.  I sort of saw dolls as a figure that you can customize-- change into different outfits and adjust their pose.  I also joined Den of Angels first, before I found out about this forum.  

I'm a fan of the Azone International company, as they seem to genuinely care about their customers & their input, and try to make their products available to as many people as possible.  I appreciate that they don't use lotteries and don't make things super-limited.  They also do small events at their stores in Japan, and offer a seasonal gift with purchase typically-- at their shops in Japan.  (I tend to visit Japan a lot.)  They try to stock the basics-- like white socks, shoes, etc., which I wish other companies would do, such as Volks... 😅  (With Volks, it's a love/hate relationship...)

Here's a photo of my Azone 45-50cm character dolls from "Is the Order a Rabbit?":

Rabbit House Complete1200.png

Thanks for the reply!  It's nice to know someone read my overly-long / overly-personal intro... hahaha! 😄   I will check out that company. 

EarthlingKiara

Hello!

I'm new to the forum too, but have been collecting and enjoying dolls for many years now. I actually got in to BJDs through a forum for collecting My Little Ponies, and I got in to collecting My Little Ponies through Japanese alternative fashion (Fairy Kei/Spank! Kei if you were interested in looking it up, lots of pastels and 80s themes). I found a whole new world of cuteness to explore, which led me to vinyl dolls. I have loved anime/manga/Japan since I was a teen, so it was only natural that I would get into anime dolls. I feel like I've sort of come full circle with my collecting. 

It is such a fun and creative hobby, and brings lots of joy and happiness to all who partake. Dolls are for everyone, and gender norms are poo! 😉

I hope you can get your first Smart Doll soon!