Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Starwaia

Just how portable are MDDs?

Starwaia

Hey all,

I've been realizing for a while that I want a cute doll to carry around in my bag and take out for photos whenever I feel like it. Or, well, when that can happen again post-pandemic, but I like to be prepared. ^^;

I've been looking at Nendoroids, Nendo Dolls, Obitsu 11s, and such, but they either aren't super posable, are very limited lookswise, or are difficult to find clothes for. I've also been planning to shell a specific character into a 1/6 size resin BJD, but that's been stagnating since the sculpt I have in mind is hard to find and the character is very fandom specific; plus, I still prefer vinyl dolls for posability since they have the frame and are lighter and all that. So having a pocket mini-Vriska would be fun, but photoshoots would also have the difficulty that any resin shoots do. So far the only vinyl frame dolls I have are my Smartdolls, and while they are amazing and cute and all, they're too big to just carry around so photoshoots with them require a lot more planning.

So I've seen all these absolutely adorable custom Mini Dollfie Dreams and I'm thinking, "that's perfect" but I'm not too sure how easy it is to just carry one around with me. If I understand correctly they're basically similar in size to my 1/4 resin BJD, so I'm not sure if there's a way to fit them safely in an easy-to-grab-and-go bag to carry them around in. Will they break if someone's bag bumps into theirs on public transportation? Can they be kept in outfits(with stain protective layers) for a long time or do they need to be stored nude? How sensitive are they to changes in temperature? Does the skeleton feel as fragile as the SMD inner frame? Is it as fragile? Should I be going for something more durable, is there a way to reinforce/protect a MDD so it would be fine?

Basically, I'm wondering, would a custom MDD be a good travel doll, or should I be looking at something smaller/more durable/etc? To what extent could wear and tear occur, and to what extent could that be dealt with via careful planning/organizing/stain treatment etc.? I'd love to jump on the MDD bandwagon but I'm not sure if one would suit the goals I have in mind.

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

BeyondTime
On 2/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, Starwaia said:

I've been realizing for a while that I want a cute doll to carry around in my bag and take out for photos whenever I feel like it. Or, well, when that can happen again post-pandemic, but I like to be prepared. ^^;

I can't really speak in detail about MDD, but I can say that the super portable Volks doll is the YoSD. I seem to recall someone specifically saying that they are popular because you can easily toss them into a bag and carry them around. Volks makes a carry case for YoSD that is identical to their regular DD/SD carry case, and which their large dolls can carry around like you would carry the DD sized case around. Volks usually makes some cute YoSD clothing in every release too.

That said, YoSD are resins and they aren't anime styled. They look a lot like toddlers, but with the styled Volks resin head.

From what I understand MDD aren't all that much shorter than a DDP, so they might not fit a handbag well. I could easily fit a DDP into a backpack, so MDD shouldn't be any problem there either. You'd want to wrap her up safely to prevent stains or scratches.

As far as MDD/DDP it would really depend on which one fit the look you wanted more. MDD have more of a preadolescent look, where DDP are more tween or young teen. MDD have better clothing options, even though they technically share clothing with DDP.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

OccultBeast

I only own one MDD, and I haven't owned her for very long, but I would not necessarily consider her 'portable.'  While she is about 6 inches shorter than my DD Miku, she's still a 1/4 size doll, and that's not as easy to throw into a bag as a YoSD (1/6) sized doll.  She would fit into a standard backpack, but I would still want to be very careful with her, personally.  Vinyl stains easily, so she'd need to be wrapped in something protective inside the bag, be wearing an outfit I know wouldn't stain her or have a full bodysuit on under her clothing, and I wouldn't want anything to potentially crunch her.  I'd also want to be sure her wig wasn't crunched, if it's carefully styled, plus I'm going to have to restyle it when I take her out for photos.  She's too big to easily toss into a bag for me, personally, especially compared to my Littlefee or other Tiny sized dolls.  Obviously, the smaller the better for portability.  I won't say that a MDD is a 'good' portable doll, but I guess I can't say they aren't, either, as long as you're willing to put in the work.  If you think carrying around a 1/3 DD or a SmartDoll is too much work, you'll probably feel the same way about MDD, as they're not that much smaller or more durable.

Dollzone has two 1/6 anime-style resin dolls, Black Cat and Pink Bear, but I'm not sure if there are any other small sized resins that use anime-style faces.  There's also TinyFox Dolls though, which is a sister company to Dollzone/Doll Chateau, but they make vinyl 1/6 size dolls!  There's a thread about them here on the forum.

Another option would be Nendoroid Dolls.  They're very tiny at only 5 inches tall including the head, very portable, and very durable.  Super easy to toss into a bag and go!  I've taken a custom one on vacation with me and just carried her in a little cosmetic bag with a 'blanket' in there.  You can mix and match Nendoroid faceplates and hair to make your own custom doll (ChibiChopShop.com is a savior when it comes to making customs!), even without repainting pieces.  They have many different hand pieces, and you can either buy official Nendoroid Doll clothes, or they fit Obitsu11 clothing, which is easy to find on places like Etsy.

• Like 2

Jezrah

Plus one for the Yo-SD size is more portable than the MDD size.

There are also 1/6 resin anime dolls made be SQ Lab, which is now being sold by Sadol. I just got one in and she's super cute. However being resin they are of course more fragile. 

The only 1/6 vinyl I know of (in the vein of a Yo-SD pudgy baby type) is TinyFox. I don't yet have one of those cuties, so I can't speak to their posability or durability, but there's a thread on them here somewhere. 

• Like 3

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

monkeypizzasonic

I just got a Tinyfox, and I'm already planning to drag her out on lots of shoots; can't speak for durability since I just got her, but posing is fairly decent and she's sturdy. The only problem is they're hard to get a hold of - the shop is on Taobao and entirely in Chinese, I only managed to get one because Clover Singing put one up on their site.

I've dragged normal nendos out on shoots before (Hetalia + Epcot), and there was a bit of an issue with the arms falling off in the bag, but I think the nendo dolls are made to stay together better, the only problem is they can't really stand on their own so you'll need to bring support. I would also suggest looking into the smaller Azone/Obitsu dolls- vinyl, portable, and decent selection of clothes available.

(personally, the dolls I've had the most fun dragging around so far are my resin anthro tinies, but that's OT)

• Like 3

Anna-neko

MDD's are 1/4 which is still pretty big to just casually grab and go
The newer F3 insides are a bit more durable compared to the older ones, because i absolutely have a horror story of taking my MDD (the OG base body) to a thing, and her inner-frame cracking with no provocation or falls
A vinyl doll wrapped in a towel has been secure enough for travel. The bag got bumped a bit on train rides & in crowds and it was still ok. Do wrap the face in a clean white cloth, and maybe keep the wig off if you're concerned about stains

If you want a casual all the time buddy, go for Nendos or 1/6 scales. I used to take a lil PureNeemo doll on some trips for a while, that was mostly ok...
Paradoxically, you don't want a doll with too much posable~ness, unless your willing to carry their stand with them at all times. The more bend points & pop-off bits, the more chances of breaking or losing something (same goes for outfits or accessories. The more pieces, the more chances of losing something. We once spent 30minutes literally combing the grass for a slidy knee-cap piece & a bow)

• Like 3

Monty

‘Portable’ is relative... a MDD doesn’t take up a great deal of space when in a seated position inside a bag, but I wouldn’t say it was so easy you can just casually bring one along the way you can with even smaller dolls. It’s still a lot easier than with a DD.

If we’re still talking about anime style YoSD scale dolls, Xagadoll have a couple in their Red Obsidian range, which apparently have fashion doll proportions so they might be able to wear pure neemo or even barbie clothes. http://www.acbjd.com/xaga-doll-red-obsidian-27cm-c-566_574.html?zenid=c01f43d38760db35baa1931254bc54ca

Then there’s 2D dolls 27cm range which has a few anime faces (I’ve been interested in Gugu for a while) - I think they should be able to wear more traditional yoSD scale outfits. 

http://www.acbjd.com/2d-doll-event-2d-28cm-c-394_397.html

There’s also the aforementioned Dollzone as well as Aimerai, Luts and probably others I’m forgetting that have at least one anime type sculpt in their tinier sizes.

Pure neemos are cute, but if you’re like me and got too spoiled by DDs with their pretty eyes looking more alive to the extent that it’s too hard to go back to painted eyes on dolls, another recommendation are some of Azone’s newer dolls with inset eyes, their ‘Another Realistic Character’ range! They’ve recently done new versions of Rem from Re:Zero and Kuroneko from Oreimo with the inset eyes, as well as Nezuko from Demon Slayer, and hopefully many more to come. Similarly there’s the Obitsu Uniform Project dolls who are also mega cute and extremely poseable - they’re mostly not available without a proxy via the Obitsu store but sometimes they collab with Azone and those ones are typically available on regular hobby sites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tasuke

1/6 Scale is a great "Portable" size, and the current OBITSU 26cm. doll body is a pretty fine match to the quality standards of today's larger-scaled dolls;

Konomi_Yuzuhara_JOHN_7.jpg?width=1920&he

Konomi_Yuzuhara_OBITSU_26_12_17_20_(2).J

Konomi_Yuzuhara_OBITSU_26_12_17_20_(3).J

OBITSU_26_11_15_20.jpg?width=1920&height

il_794xN.1985026211_s8pu.jpg?width=1920&

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 1

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

ramcoy

compare to DD 

MDD is more portable and lightweight, easy to take for trip

body not so fragile, you can bring MDD on tote bag or back pack

me personally do lot traveling with my beloved DDs Momo with backpack

• Like 3

Starwaia

Sorry for the late response, I want to thank everyone for their help! It seems that a MDD *might* be a good option as I'm used to the size of 1/4 scale dolls, but also wouldn't be *trivial* to just toss in a bag, especially since vinyl feels less durable than resin to me, so while I'd put one of my resin minis in a face protector and pillowcase in an ad-hoc carrier(or a messenger bag with the rest of my stuff if there was room), I probably wouldn't want to do that with an MDD. And for some reason I was visualizing MDD as 1/6 scale even knowing they're not, but I don't mind them being in 1/4 scale spacewise as long as they'd be safe otherwise.

I guess also an issue is that MDD seems to be a very popular size that it's easy to find- and make- clothes for. I suppose Obitsus of smaller scales might fit in playline clothes like Barbie, but I tend to prefer to be able to make clothes for my dolls if I want to. I do need to look into the smaller Obitsus though, I bought one years ago that really impressed me with posing, but the neck piece where the screw goes got stripped somehow and now she's waiting for a permanent sculpey head and an elaborate custom I might get to... someday... but for now she's just decoration. I suppose if I ever did finish her she'd be a good candidate...

Nendos are cute but they seem to have a lot of tiny parts that are easy to lose. I'd also prefer more posability, since I'm fine with carrying stands with me, and customizability, which for Nendoroids seems like I have to find the right parts from other models or sculpt them myself.

I'm actually somewhat used to taking my Smartdolls out places, but it requires a lot of planning and anxiety mainly due to their size and perceived fragility; I'm nervous to break them due to them being milk skin and not wanting to have to rely on being in Danny's good graces to get replacement parts. If replacements were widely available I'd be less nervous- though rest assured I'm not going around breaking dolls left and right, it's more the possibility that gets me.

I also would take my resin 1/4 scale dolls out places but I prefer the posability of an internal frame these days. So I'll definitely look into MDDs and the other options suggested regarding durability, since that seems to be the main thing I worry about.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:59 PM, BeyondTime said:

MDD aren't all that much shorter than a DDP, so they might not fit a handbag well. I could easily fit a DDP into a backpack, so MDD shouldn't be any problem there either. You'd want to wrap her up safely to prevent stains or scratches.

On 2/7/2021 at 8:38 PM, OccultBeast said:

[all the info re: durability/being as much work as a 1/3 vinyl doll]

• Like 2

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

Tira

Personally, I find my DD/Obitsu dolls to be less fragile-feeling than my similarly-sized resin dolls.  Maybe it's just my perception of the material; resin breaks more easily, whereas if my DD gets bumped around, she'll be fine.  I actually brought a 50cm Obitsu cross-country for a con; I just had her sit curled up in my carry-on bag.  Definitely would never dare do that with a resin doll.  I don't have any Smartdolls, so I can't offer a comparison with those.

• Like 1

sinclair

I'm never thought my MDDs as being fragile.  Floppy, yes, but not fragile.  They fit in a backpack easy.  Lots of cute outfits.  I've never stored or transported mine nude.  They are always dressed and out.  If I know they will be in the outfit for a while (weeks) then I'll pick lighter colors.  Stains are just part of the hobby.

• Like 2

RikunFrances

I wouldn't necessarily call them super-portable, about as portable as a regular 1/4 resin doll, except maybe a little less danger-flop prone and maybe a little lighter. You can put them in a bag and as long as the faceup is protected I don't think nudges or bumps will really affect the doll... But where's the fun in that when you can carry your doll in your arms like a baby? Just me? Okay. 😅

• Like 2

Starwaia
On 2/17/2021 at 11:24 PM, Tira said:

Personally, I find my DD/Obitsu dolls to be less fragile-feeling than my similarly-sized resin dolls.  Maybe it's just my perception of the material; resin breaks more easily, whereas if my DD gets bumped around, she'll be fine.  I actually brought a 50cm Obitsu cross-country for a con; I just had her sit curled up in my carry-on bag.  Definitely would never dare do that with a resin doll.  I don't have any Smartdolls, so I can't offer a comparison with those.

On 2/21/2021 at 4:57 PM, sinclair said:

I'm never thought my MDDs as being fragile.  Floppy, yes, but not fragile.  They fit in a backpack easy.  Lots of cute outfits.  I've never stored or transported mine nude.  They are always dressed and out.  If I know they will be in the outfit for a while (weeks) then I'll pick lighter colors.  Stains are just part of the hobby.

That's all really good to know! I guess I assumed they'd be fragile because of how easy it seems to be to break the SMD internal frame. I think I have heard that SMDs are flimsier than DDs though.

My resin dolls have been fortunate enough to not break, but to be fair I'm a lot more careful about dropping them and don't attempt dangerous poses with them. Maybe if I expected them to be as posable as vinyl dolls it would be an issue, but I've found resin to be pretty durable... probably because I don't take risks and don't do much with my bigger resin doll- I do tend to stick to minis with that material due to weight and such. I have definitely heard the horror stories of broken fingers or chipped noses though.

foo
On 2/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, Starwaia said:

I'm not sure if there's a way to fit them safely in an easy-to-grab-and-go bag to carry them around in.

It's pretty easy,

Step 1: Calmly approach MDD

mdd-size-1.jpg

Step 2: Quickly apply hair anti-tangling device (aka giant ziploc bag).

mdd-size-2.jpg

Step 3: Wrap and take away in a bag. Nendroid Plus Miku for scale.

mdd-size-3.jpg

TBH that bag is definitely on the small side, but I think I did take her with me using that before. Also a plus, Volks' MDD stands are extremely lightweight and disassemble into small, easy-to-take parts. Also when using a wrapping blanket like this you can take advantage of the fact that the body bends, but avoid anything that stresses it for obvious reasons.

Will they break if someone's bag bumps into theirs on public transportation?

Generally, no. If you try, definitely.

Can they be kept in outfits(with stain protective layers) for a long time or do they need to be stored nude?

Each outfit's risk of staining is unique, but you definitely don't have to store them nude. Iori is wearing that blue outfit now, but Mayoi was wearing it for a couple of weeks before. That one's safe at least.

How sensitive are they to changes in temperature?

Well, plastic doesn't like freezing temperatures so avoid that. The hotter the weather is the more likely fabric is to stain, so avoid that too. If you mean swings between cold and warm as you go through your day that's fine, but definitely stay away from freezing temperatures.

Does the skeleton feel as fragile as the SMD inner frame? Is it as fragile?

I haven't tried to snap her in half 🤔 The MDD bodies are much more compact so they're less likely to break as-is. The new f3 bodies are also more durable by design than the old ones because the joints have balls that can rotate in any direction instead of along a fixed axis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

foo

The server was rejecting my full post so I had to split it up,

Basically, I'm wondering, would a custom MDD be a good travel doll, or should I be looking at something smaller/more durable/etc?

Yes. Have MDD, did travel. I actually picked her up while in Japan, she's a Dream Choice from Doll Point,

47386219692_a838b2f91b_c.jpg
Cuddle by bodolza, on Flickr

I actually brought Sakuya with me on that trip too, but never got an opportunity to get a decent photo with her  It's more work with a full size doll because they take up so much more space, so they want larger backdrops to be photographed against.

DSC_4519.jpg

It was really easy to take the MDD anywhere.

To what extent could wear and tear occur, and to what extent could that be dealt with via careful planning/organizing/stain treatment etc.?

It's the same as any Dollfie Dream 🤔 I've had DDs for a long time now so I've gained habits about knowing what I need to be careful of. By being small the MDDs are more durable (they're lighter too).

• Like 2

Geoffryhawk

I suppose my view of Portable is a little bit skewed. I think the MDD size is kinda perfect for portability, and the Vinyl is a lot less scary to walk around with.

But then I used to haul full sized 70cm-75cm sized resin dolls to cons with me all the time. I think the MDD is a perfect size for travel for me. They stow easily in a backpack, or you could get a sling to carry them around! :) much lighter than their resin cousins so a lot less strain on your back that's for sure!

battrastard

MDDs can fit into most mid-sized backpacks. 

I have a 5.11 Tactical pack that's in that range. https://www.511tactical.com/rush24-2-0-backpack.html

My model in this pic is Llenn, (MDD Rena Ryugu) who went with me to last years Saboten con, in Phoenix: 

2022-09-04_11-29-13

It can actually hold three MDDs, wrapped up in pillowcases, comfortably! (And it's well padded, too!)

2022-09-04_11-26-46

Yukiko, standing outside of it. 

2022-09-04_11-27-03

Risa, (DDS Marisa) is a bit taller, so she would have to be in a kneeling position, and I'd maybe be able to get one more in there that size, even wrapped in something for protection.. 

At approximately $150, I consider it a good investment, adding more pouches for a small camera, batteries, care items, and possibly a change of clothes for the Kiddos.

The two pouches next to Risa's feet, I added to the bag, because I needed a place for more storage. (and, they have those in stock, too!) 

• Like 5

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

PolitelyNefarious

I'm going to hop onto this and say that both sizes are good for travel dolls- it just depends on how much space you want to relinquish.

An MDD or MSD-size doll can fit into one of those mini backpacks that are so popular now- the ones that are about a third the size of a regular backpack. They must kneel in order to do so, but with such an easy (And covert) method of transportation available, there's almost no reason not to if a cute 1/4th doll appeals to you. The downside of course is that once wrapped in your towel or bag of choice, the doll takes up the majority of space. In my backpack, I typically have my wallet, keys, phone, any coupons / personal medications, and the doll itself. Of course you must also treat your bag with care and not plunk it around.

Because I have been in this hobby for so long, I have the best bag for my YoSDs courtesy of now-defunct Sugarable. But similar products are available from multiple makers. In fact, it's something like one of those pill-shaped cosmetic bags you see in every store, only more durable and with a separate cushioned wrap for an inner lining that you can fold the doll into.

https://n.nordstrommedia.com/id/sr3/3a589d93-f4f4-45ce-a0aa-2c9f6e782fc7.jpeg?h=365&w=240&dpr=2

^  Said cosmetic bag, for a rough idea of the shape. Technically if you got a good one of those in the right size and filled it with a nice piece of minky / other cushioning of your own, you might be able to save a few bucks. This also fits inside the backpack, leaving a bit more space. Depending on the doll, I can fit up two in the doll bag, and up to two of this size bag in the backpack, though I don't think I could fill both with two dolls.

Edited by PolitelyNefarious
  • Like 2

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg

Xiongmao

Here's my MDD in the doll sleeping bag we bought on AliExpress. We've not used it yet (except for napping in during the day) but it looks really useful for taking somebody out of town. I've also got a Pureneemo sized one.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.