Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

puxlavoix

Hand mods anyone?

puxlavoix

Hello guys!

Today I received a long awaited package (hehehe like 10 days), its a couple of hanwei katanas i ordered from ebay for my Yukino. Im not gonna do a review of them because they have widely been already, all I can say is that its all I expected for a 1/3 katana and that she looks dangerously cute

As you can see in the pics below i havent got any grabby hands for her, not because i dont want to but because they are out of stock at volks usa (that same thing also kept me from getting the submachine gun ). Anyways i want to know if any of you has tried to make any type of mod to your daughters hands to try to get them to "grab" or any kind of gesture for that matter.

I was thinking maybe heat or something but first i want to hear your opinion.

IMG_1592-2.jpg

IMG_1595-2.jpg

Thanks!

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

baldylox

Hey there. If you are after some "gripping" styled hands, try getting in touch with Rochelle at Kerbey Lane Doll Shoppe in Austin, Texas. I recall her saying recently that they were going to be getting some hands soon. She is a member here so try and PM her:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=192

I don't think that heating up the hands would work too well due to the vinyl wanting to go back to its original shape. But I've never tried it before so it *may* work. I just wouldn't try it on a $22 pair of hands and then mess it up.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

juu-yuki
Hey there. If you are after some "gripping" styled hands, try getting in touch with Rochelle at Kerbey Lane Doll Shoppe in Austin, Texas. I recall her saying recently that they were going to be getting some hands soon. She is a member here so try and PM her:

I don't think that heating up the hands would work too well due to the vinyl wanting to go back to its original shape. But I've never tried it before so it *may* work. I just wouldn't try it on a $22 pair of hands and then mess it up.

Billy

I've tried the heating thing. Both heating and cooling will work for maybe 10 minutes, but than go back to it's original shape. I was trying to make one of my grippy hands more.... "grippy". XD

Poofiemus

Yeah, vinyl's pretty bouncy, even after heating. I've seen people stuff My Little Ponies in the oven to bake on Sculpy mods and they always revert to their old pose, unless you really botch it and outright melt them. I think if you were to try to make a re-posing stick you may have to thread wire into the fingers, then heat and reposition, though personally I may be a bit worried about them still bouncing back and poking the wire through in the process. :/

I do recall seeing photos of custom hands on display at doll shows and dollpas. I think, however, that these are custom-sculpted and then cast in either resin, vinyl, or silicone.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

puxlavoix

Billy

Thanks Billy ill contact her... about the vinyl going to its original shape you may be right, i dont want to mess her hands and having to wait 2 weeks for a regular pair from volks... Actually it is shipping times and charges what kill me... If there was a Volks Mex that would be soooo nice I would pay 40 bucks without blinking

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

puxlavoix

I've tried the heating thing. Both heating and cooling will work for maybe 10 minutes, but than go back to it's original shape. I was trying to make one of my grippy hands more.... "grippy". XD

I think if you were to try to make a re-posing stick you may have to thread wire into the fingers, then heat and reposition, though personally I may be a bit worried about them still bouncing back and poking the wire through in the process. :/

Mhhh... I figured it would want to go back to its original shape even after heating but the wiring thing+heat sounds interesting. After all isnt it wire they put inside those silicon made tokyo dolls? On the other hand the wire poking through the skin persuaded me of buying one of those "seamless bodies"

Im willing to mess up with them for science´s sake just have to secure a new pair before I do.

scripple

I've tried modifying DD hands for the simple purpose of making the opening a little wider so that I could actually get them on and off easier (the V hands, which at least mine are stupidly tight.) I used a heat gun (much hotter than a blow dryer) and pliers on the inside to stretch the opening as it got hot and to hold it open as it cooled. After many repeated heat - stretch - cool while stretched cycles they did loosen up enough to not be insanely hard to get on and off, but not by very much.

Based on that experience I gave up my plans to modify a pair of gripping hands to have a tighter grip (this was before Volks released a pair of gripping hands with a tighter grip). So I'd say make sure you have a lot of patience before you buy hands to modify.

puxlavoix

Thanks guys! This is good to know since heat and cold was my main option and could not have guessed this myself and sure you helped me save a lot of time and frustration and maybe it wouldnt look natural after all...

I keep thinking about some other way, maybe some sort of wire that wont poke through her skin...

I will update when i come up with something

sakky

*shy* Hi everyone, I haven't seen any hand mods on DDs so far, so I thought I'd share mine.

http://i.minus.com/ibvJGInTgi7aoQ.jpg (unmodded hand in background)

The method's pretty simple. Heat to soften the vinyl, then wrap for a few days.

It's like chinese foot binding. I ended up with some wrinkles on the palm, as you can see in the above photo.

A wip shot to illustrate: http://i.minus.com/ibj9r52FsqWDI7.jpg

RaveOfNightmares

You could always try putting small magnets inside the hands along with attaching magnets to the object you want the hand to hold. I forget where I heard about doing this, but I think it had something to do with resin dolls.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

puxlavoix

Thanks for the input guys, I wanted to do this because my daughters werent able to hold swords/katanas (or anything for that matter) for their home guarding jobs, and as usual Volks has these out of stock.

I gave the wire method a try some months ago, relatively easy using a modeling drill and paper clip wire with round tips to prevent it from poking out, the result didnt look quite natural to me so I ended giving up and ordering them from ebay for $45 . Now im looking for a method to make them more grippy, I might give the heat and wrap method a try