Baldylox

battrastard

Eiko82

Salica

Sign in to follow this  
sinclair

Changing the bust on a DDP

sinclair

For some reason up to now Volks has yet to offer any bust 'upgrades' for the DDP. There has been some traffic in Facebook groups asking, and I have learned that it is possible to put a MDD bust on the DDP body, but there is drawbacks. The MDD bust is narrower then the DDP, so there is an air gap around the shoulders. This isn't an issue unless she's sleeveless. So I got to thinking, Volks sells the upper MDD frame. Is it possible to swap the upper DDP frame with the MDD frame? Would this even work? Has anyone got f-3 DDP and MDD to try this? Or will I have to buy the parts myself to try this?

Jezrah

I have one of each body! I tried out the MDD bits on the DDP body, and as you said there are gaps at the shoulders when you put the arms on. But unfortunately you can't use the MDD's upper torso frame with the DDP's lower torso frame. The DDP connection peg is thicker and has a snap ring on it, whereas the MDD connection peg is thinner and smooth. If you try to insert the MDD part, the peg is too small and it will just immediately fall back out. Here's a comparison of the two parts:

20210511_002834

• Like 1

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

sinclair

Oh, thanks for this info.  Now the next question, is the 'ball' the same size on the top of each peg?  In other words, can you removed the screw and swap that part between the two upper torsos? Judging from the photo it looks like the ball part on the MMD is smaller then the DDP, which means you can't swap the peg part.  This looks like it could be something for aftermarket to make, a new peg part that has the ball size of the MMD and the peg of the DDP so you can use the rest of the upper torso of a MDD and MDD bust on a DDP body.  Thanks again for looking into this.

Jezrah

I had some time to compare the inner frames again, and I don't think it'll work, though I'd didn't get them all the way apart to find out. As far as I could tell, once you take the screw out of the bottom ball joint it's still held in there by tension, and I didn't see a way to take it apart any further, so I stopped there since I didn't actually want the piece out. 

I don't have a caliper or anything fancy, but eyeballing the bottom ball joints with a measuring tape, they appear to be about 1/16 inch different, which will probably mess up the tension if you try to switch them.

If you must have a different bust size for a DDP, I would suggest just using an Obitsu 50 or AP bust in Whitey. It won't be an exact color match, but you can get away with it. I generally prefer to match ot to NS, but others prefer to match it to SWS. I double checked the fit of a spare Obitsu 50 bust I had, and it works fine with no gapping.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg