Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Weltfremd

Do you upgrade your Doll's Bodies?

mamiyaotaru

wait, the body can change and the head joint still works? I didnt know. What if I get a DDS Saber from volks now and get a same skin type but DD (like nero) body? does it work?

Tierparkzone
On 10/29/2023 at 6:11 PM, mamiyaotaru said:

wait, the body can change and the head joint still works? I didnt know. What if I get a DDS Saber from volks now and get a same skin type but DD (like nero) body? does it work?

With some exceptions* basically any DD head fits on any DD body. Some combinations may look a bit bobble headed or odd in other ways, but from a mechanical standpoint it works. Getting your DDS Saber a full size DD upgrade should cause no issue in that regard.

* For some heads primarily intended for the smaller dolls (MDD, DDP), the receptacle on the head for the neck vinyl is only big enough to fit their smaller necks. On a larger doll (DD, DDS, DDdy) you may not be able to push the head all the way down.

BeyondTime
On 10/29/2023 at 2:11 AM, mamiyaotaru said:

You can also get a L-bust for your DDS, if the larger bust is what you are after. DDS has some upsides like being lighter and having a cuter butt, but it's got some downsides like clothing being a bit loose. The DD body has rounder more mature hips, but has a flatter butt. It's also taller and heavier, but clothing fits on DDS/DD sized clothes are better. 

That said, Saber Altria's default outfit will not fit a DD body. It's been awhile since I tried, but iirc her dress won't even fit an M-bust DDS. I tried it on a DD and worried I might rip it getting it snapped up. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Roserolls

Tbh I only upgrade my dolls if their bodies are literally falling apart (or if they were just a floating head to begin with). My DDdy Miko's body is still basically brand new even after all these years, but she has the updated DDIII body with the thicker shoulder sockets and I don't see any need to upgrade her anytime soon. My ver2 Moe on the other hand...she's on her last legs lol. I've had to do so many repairs and she's gained 2 new cracks in her right hip socket since she arrived (she already had 1 in each out of the box). Her joints are all pretty loose even after taping them, so I figure once her hip socket finally breaks (which I doubt will be long), I'll upgrade her to a DDS f-3 body.

Since I got one of my girls as a floating head, I decided to go ahead and buy the f-3 body for her and I'm glad I did! I think the f-3 is a really good upgrade, in fact I think it fixes a lot of the gripes I had with the DDIII bodies: the movements are super smooth and quiet, loose joints can be fixed just by readjusting the screws, increased mobility (especially in the wrists!), and I may be in the minority for this one, but I like their new ankle joints since socks don't get bunched in them anymore. But, the price is pretty high to justify even if it is better...I wonder if it might be cheaper to just find a ver1 Moe on the DDII instead and just deal with less pose-ability 🤔

EDIT: Well...this happened sooner than expected. Moe's wrist broke while I was trying to change her hand. It broke into 3 pieces and part of it straight up turned into dust! I could've just gotten her new wrists but her body is being held together with tape, glue, and zip ties so screw it lol. I guess this will be the first time one of my dolls gets a bust enhancement rather than reduction. I'll also have to buy her some new clothes since I feel bad about yelling at her for it...

Anyway, if anyone wants some free DDIII parts just let me know lol

Edited by Roserolls
RIP Moe's body
  • Haha 1

moerunamida

Haven't had dolls long enough to need to upgrade their bodies. That being said, I am likely going to replace my DDdy's body with a DDS. After owning all the types, the DDS is my favorite. I love my DDdy's curves, but finding clothes to fit is just a pain. I fixed her leg falling off, but I just want my dolls to be able to share more clothes. I will be getting an F-3 body for my MDDs down the road.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

chantelle

Most of my girls are on the DDIII frame which I am satisfied with for the time being! They still are in good condition and the posing is decent.

Eventually I would like to upgrade my MDDIII to the MDDF3 2.0 (or maybe DBC) for nicer proportions and poseability but its not a huge priority atm

BeyondTime
5 hours ago, moerunamida said:

I love my DDdy's curves, but finding clothes to fit is just a pain.

Dollgerie, Dollheart, Dolldelights, and Dollremi usually have a lot of DDDy options. 

• Thanks 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Tasuke

thanks to the new 2022 WorldBox AT201/203 12in. Bodies... my old TSUKUDA HOBBY "Mamotte Shugogetten!" Shaorin

has finally gotten the Doll Body Upgrade she's been waiting 20 years for;

- TSUKUDA HOBBY ORIGINAL body -

i-img675x1200-1537105194irt5uj553655.jpg

- WORLDBOX AT-203 body -

Shaorin_Fresh_Spring_Undies_12-2-23_1_RE

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 1

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

Poofiemus

For me it depends on what body they're upgrading from, and in what condition it was in. 

I actually prefer the DDIII to the F3, so my DDIIIs are staying on those till they break. So that's Yuuri (custom based on Kirito), Miku, and custom MDD girl Abby staying on their DDIIIs as long as possible. 

Where upgrades are likely to happen are on the DDIIs. My 2s are very well loved and it shows. In fact, I already upgraded Agatha from her DDII-based DDY to an F3 based one. The hips are a bit of a problem, but still loads better than having her knees and elbows buckle constantly. I'm not sure when I'm going to update Fate and Nanoha, but it'll happen someday. They're both so FLOPPY now and it makes me sad. 

I'll probably also upgrade my two Obitsu 48 girls at some point. They're okay for now (other than the stupid Obitsu wrists), but Obitsu is no longer making parts for that body, and the new one they're transitioning to is much more mature than these two pre-teen string beans. @sinclair has been working on a 3D printed adapter that lets you put Obitsu neck/head/bust onto a DDP, so that's what Homura and Madoka are eventually going to get. 

The only other upgrade I've done is my DDS Marisa, Katya. Her elbow basically disintigrated about a month after I got her from Mandarake, so she's gone from an OG DDS to an F3. 

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Cazzie_Bliss

Personally  - I'm super old fashioned and still have a soft spot for the DDII bodies! (despite their flaws) I think it's a nostalgia thing, really. 

Sometimes I consider upgrading Tsubaki's DDII to a DDIII, just simply out of age - but I don't because I have memories attached to her like this. But if she were to ever break beyond repair or her joints became impossibly floppy only then would I seriously consider 'upgrading' her. 

Edited by Cazzie_Bliss

1201080411_Signature4.png.d6bd2feda415abca0856a7c2e72df054.png                                                                                                     

ragnamuffin
10 hours ago, Poofiemus said:

but Obitsu is no longer making parts for that body

Where did you hear that?? They haven’t released any announcements to that effect and their website is still stocked with parts for the 48/50 body, as are all the physical doll shops in Tokyo 🧐 

• Like 1

Poofiemus
12 hours ago, ragnamuffin said:

Where did you hear that?? They haven’t released any announcements to that effect and their website is still stocked with parts for the 48/50 body, as are all the physical doll shops in Tokyo 🧐 

I know they're working on a new body, and last I checked many sites had parts on backorder. I'll double check to see if sites have restocked frame parts. I do strongly suspect the current frame parts will get phased out when the new body hits, regardless. 

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

ragnamuffin
7 hours ago, Poofiemus said:

I know they're working on a new body, and last I checked many sites had parts on backorder. I'll double check to see if sites have restocked frame parts. I do strongly suspect the current frame parts will get phased out when the new body hits, regardless. 

Right, but they’re not discontinued yet and I doubt they’re gonna discontinue parts for the ob48/50 anytime soon—it’s their most popular body that practically all the big Japanese doll makers besides Volks and Culture Japan use! Plus the GGR uses the same skeleton with the exception of a few parts, like wrists and ankles, so it’s likely that old frame parts can be swapped out for new even on older bodies.

The shortages were just typical covid supply shortages because parts for other bodies using Obitsu vinyl were also hard to find even in Japan, which isn’t really the case anymore, thankfully.

• Like 1

flora

I'm glad someone asked this. I got my doll body in March (MDD mochi ashi) so that's F3 right? But I know from other doll owners that I've seen them update bodies. I think it depends on how old or how much wear there is. In my case, the hips were horrible to get used to so if it was an improvement on the joints, then I'd like to replace (that's also because I have a job mostly for paying for my hobbies 😅 but years ago I would probably just learn to love it or save up).

I wonder how many things I've adapted to loving and using out of economic need and if having more disposable income now leads you to be unhappy faster. (I also have AuDHD so there's also the novelty seeking of new things and the feeling that I hate change at the same time. But fomo is universal, especially with social media and marketing nowadays.)

Another thing to think about, does the yellowing of the bodies happen as much on vinyl or would the company change skin colors slightly? Volks seems like it'd be pretty consistent over time. I'm not sure on other brands, however. 

If you just got it in May I think you'll have a good amount of time for her to be new and shiny! Hope you find what's right for you! 

Weltfremd

Hah, seeing this randomly being bumped up while lurking makes me want to revisit this topic.

Since posting this I have upgraded one doll from a DD3 to a DDf-3 and it was my Melty. She is my favourite doll, so of course she deserves a nice body. I think If I hadn't bought so many new dolls in the last 2 years, I would've upgraded more. Every new doll made me love the DDf-3 body much more than the DD3! I even kinda dislike it now, because it feels stiff and not as smooth like the DDf-3. The DD3 is really squeaky and feels not as sturdy too. I love the poseability of the f-3 so much!

I actually "upgraded" one of my MDDs to the new 2.0 body too. Though, that difference is not as jarring to me as DD3 to DDf-3.

I have to add, I dislike the hips on mochi-ashi and DDdy a lot. I bought one replacement kit and it made a huge difference, but I feel like I shouldn't need to buy a replacement part...

Edited by Weltfremd
  • Like 1

qudoll

Am I the only one who thought this was about putting cybernetic implants in your dolls?

..I played too much Cyberpunk

• Haha 3

CeliathePikachu
On 12/26/2023 at 6:16 PM, qudoll said:

Am I the only one who thought this was about putting cybernetic implants in your dolls?

I really want to put a little Bluetooth speaker in Kaito so he can "sing" his songs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently at home: Autumn (DD2 DDH-01), Sakura (MDD3 DDH-08), Haku (Mio Akiyama), Mashiro (Mashiro Mito), Kaito (Vocaloid KAITO)

Mashiro Mito is my wife and I love her!

flora
On 12/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, qudoll said:

You might be? 😅🤣 But technology wise there's got to be some stuff that changes. 

I wouldn't mind asking my doll for the weather instead of my phone (well it'd probably sync up with a phone.) 

Or, there's character ai chat, so if you had speakers and could voice act that (and not using ai of original voice actors that violate their contacts).

Then again maybe it'd be neat if character dolls say from volks with the character rights paid for a few voice lines and then you could choose the lines as a package? But maybe that's just boring because it would be repetitive? 

Are there bjd or DD/vinyl dolls that have voice speakers? This would be an interesting mod to upgrade dolls with!