Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

apag22

Shiny vinyl

apag22

My Mirai has had a lot of play time, and I have noticed her vinyl has become shiny from lots of love. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to the matte finish, or should I just accept my smd has been loved?

🎎instagram🎎

Doll Family: SmD Mirai, SmD Felicity, MDD Liliru (Yuki), MDD Mochi Ashi (Sakrua), Volks YoSD Lin (Eleanor)

Waiting on: Isla Dolls Raspberry, Volks SDM-F-45, Volks SD-F-22

finnleo

wetsanding the parts without any paints, etc is an option. If I recall correct I used 600 or 800 grit wet-paper that was a nice enough match for DD's, dunno what the great orange has for a default texture, though I  vaguely remember seeing more recent shipments getting a sheet of "sandpaper" (I think it was that newfangled abranet stuff hence in quotes) with them? -- so maybe try and spy what grit they are shipped with and go with that.

Naturally try on a piece thats hidden, or not so obvious. the higher the grit number on the aprasive paper, the smoother the end result will be,

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 1

AliensOfGold

You can also try magic eraser which can also be used to remove grubby marks and dirt from the surface.

• Like 2

Katsudon

Magic eraser sounds like it would be more gentle than sandpaper. I used it for stain removal and you can't tell at all. Although...

I know this isn't dolls, but when parts of my game controllers get shiny from use, I wipe them carefully with dish soap/washing up liquid on a bit of kitchen towel. Cuts through finger grease and is easy to control where it goes (namely, won't leave your doll sopping wet. I always end up cleaning sticks and buttons this way).

I have no idea if anyone has tried it. I did always wash my blythe dolls' hair with dish soap as it doesn't leave residue like shampoo. Kinda an old-school technique.

Definitely tell me off if this is bad for dolls. So far my doll has been easy to wipe down (cocoa girls show fingerprints like woah! Just a cloth has done the trick.) 

Edit: seems like I'm not the only one to think dish soap! XD https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/cleaning-vinyl-doll-skin-3252633 I would try it first before going for more abrasive solutions like magic erasers. Even baby wipes I'd be careful with, because they have a little alcohol in them usually, and I have never found them to be effective when it comes to finger oils.

Edited by Katsudon

Glitt3rgalaxy

Magic eraser or i've also wiped dolls in unpainted area with rubbing alcohol and this seems to get rid of oils that cause shine. I hope its ok for the vinyl

jazijaz

I'm kind of afraid of the magic eraser after I ruined a BJD for using it so much so be gentle and don't use it a lot. The magic eraser will wipe any shine/dirt so I wiped my doll every day until I saw cracks on his arms and had to get him a new body. 

I don't use it on any doll now unless it's absolutely necessary but for DDs/SmDs I usually use a cloth. If you want more protection and a good matte finish, I recommend spraying the body with MSC. I do that with all my dolls, BJDs and DDs.

Another thing is I don't touch my dolls without cotton gloves, I wash my hands first, put on gloves and then play with my dolls and wash the gloves regularly, they do get dirty a lot. 

Some people might think it's a lot of work to use gloves just to handle dolls but I've been doing it for 16 years so it comes naturally to me. If I don't use gloves I can't enjoy handling my dolls but with gloves on it gives me a sense of protection and I can play with them freely. Our hands get sweaty and greasy after some time even if you wash them, so the #1 rule for me is: don't touch dolls without gloves.

I have very old dolls, more than 10 year old dolls, with very nice matte body and face, no shine at all and they are loved a lot. Thanks to the gloves and care I give them. This reminds me that it is time to give them a new wash and MSC coat. ^^

Edited by jazijaz
  • Like 1