Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
teenyshiny

Faceup help

teenyshiny

Today, I tried starting a faceup on a head for my mdd. However, when I tried sketching on the eyelashes with a brown watercolor pencil, it seemed to not show up well, like it didn’t want to stay on the surface. I had to press very hard for it to come out at all, which didn’t feel right. In videos I’ve watched of people doing faceups on their dollfies, they do delicate, soft strokes with the watercolor pencil and the pigment lays well and clearly on the head. 

Unfortunately I didn’t snap a picture as I wiped her soon after in fear of staining in case of improper sealing. 

I used ZM Finishing Powder Spray, and did three coats of sealant, letting it dry for 15 minutes in between, and then leaving it over night. It was around 75 degrees with under 50% humidity. 
I’m using Faber-Castell watercolor pencils.

Where do you think I went wrong? Should I use a different sealant, or watercolor pencils? Should I do more coats of sealant before starting?

Complete newbie to this hobby in general, and this is my first faceup attempt.

I really want to get this right, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Noxxbunny

So I was using ZM for a bit with the faber-castell watercolors, I usually use Mr.Super Clear. I also start with 3 coats. I don't know if they're always like that or that I'm also not using them properly, but I typically have the same issue with the pencils. I haven't had issue with staining though, at least.

Once I'm done with the faber-castells that I do use(browns and black mostly), I was honestly going to switch brands. Both their pastels and their watercolors I just haven't been 100% happy with.

I recently tried Prismacolor Premiere watercolors and I liked how they went on MUCH more, you'd be able to do the sharper lines that way. Though they do go on grainier than the faber-castell ones, but for small fine lines like eyelashes, it may not be as noticeable. Good luck, I hope it turns out well!

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

teenyshiny
3 hours ago, Noxxbunny said:

So I was using ZM for a bit with the faber-castell watercolors, I usually use Mr.Super Clear. I also start with 3 coats. I don't know if they're always like that or that I'm also not using them properly, but I typically have the same issue with the pencils. I haven't had issue with staining though, at least.

Once I'm done with the faber-castells that I do use(browns and black mostly), I was honestly going to switch brands. Both their pastels and their watercolors I just haven't been 100% happy with.

I recently tried Prismacolor Premiere watercolors and I liked how they went on MUCH more, you'd be able to do the sharper lines that way. Though they do go on grainier than the faber-castell ones, but for small fine lines like eyelashes, it may not be as noticeable. Good luck, I hope it turns out well!

Thanks so much for your input! 
I’ll try out the prismacolors. Maybe ZM spray isn’t the best base for watercolor pencils? I’ve also got MSC, but I found that ZM was less finicky and simpler to use (when I tried, at least.)

Thanks again, I’ll definitely keep on trying.